PDA

View Full Version : Combine: So What?

Rohirrim
02-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Is the Combine for teams, or just another NFL created draft ritual designed more for the fans than for the teams? I've always agreed with whoever this "club architect" King quotes in this article, if it's not on the film, the Combine performance won't make any difference. Why should a good Combine performance move somebody up the boards, other than the effects of hype?

In my calls around the league in the last few days, I spoke to one club architect who shall remain nameless at his request. He told me his team had changed its way of doing business in the scouting realm this year, and his team's draft board is "90 percent set.''

Quoth this architect: "You know why it's 90 percent set now? Because guys go to the Scouting Combine and they change their grade on a player based on things that have nothing to do with playing football. I'm convinced if you took the stopwatches away from a lot of these guys, most of 'em would not be able to tell you whether they liked a player or not.

"These guys go out and watch players all fall, then we all watch the tape of all these guys, and we see what kind of football players they are. That's scouting. Who plays good football in pads? That's scouting. Now we need the combine for the medical evaluations and the personal baggage stuff. But don't come in after the combine and tell me you want to change some guy and move him way up because he ran faster than you thought he would. That's where you get in trouble, and that's why our draft board is pretty well set.''

If I told you who this speaker was, you'd all say, "Whoa, we have to listen to this guy. We respect him.'' Just take my word for it. He's legit.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/02/21/observations/index.html#ixzz0gII5UNGL
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Beantown Bronco
02-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Mike Mamula does not approve this message.

yerner
02-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Why the hell does the source have to be a secret here? King is a load.

Bronco CB40
02-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Mike Mamula does not approve this message.

Mamula's combine certainly was a significant factor in his seventh overall selection, but he also had a strong college tape to support his slot. He recorded 11 sacks as a junior 3-4 linebacker and then registered 17 sacks as a senior DE.

Archer81
02-22-2010, 12:57 PM
I think the combine is more important for the player's mental accumen and persnality tests then it is for anything physical they do. Like the article said, a 5th year senior has 4 years of game tape, teams should know how he plays. Its the mental aspect that matters at the combine, IMO.

:Broncos:

WolfpackGuy
02-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Good to hear the Broncos have 27 of their 30 names set on their draftboard...

cmhargrove
02-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Pssssst.

Don't tell Al Davis...

SouthStndJunkie
02-22-2010, 02:05 PM
I have always based a good portion of my evaluation on actual game play.

That said, I enjoy the combine.

It's a chance for the NFL guys to meet and interview the prospects and give them the eyeball test and check them out medically and mentally.

The Senior Bowl kicks off draft season, but the combine moves draft season into high gear.

Pony Boy
02-22-2010, 02:27 PM
I think the combine is more important for the player's mental accumen and persnality tests then it is for anything physical they do. Like the article said, a 5th year senior has 4 years of game tape, teams should know how he plays. Its the mental aspect that matters at the combine, IMO.

Maybe we should pay attention to the physical tests.....Maurice Clarett ran a blistering 4.82 in the 40 and we used the last pick in the 3rd round to snare him.

Archer81
02-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Maybe we should pay attention to the physical tests.....Maurice Clarett ran a blistering 4.82 in the 40 and we used the last pick in the 3rd round to snare him.

Well I bet since he got sent to prison his 40 time has improved. Have to keep those lifers off the booty somehow.

Mediator12
02-22-2010, 08:43 PM
There is a lot of the combine that is so not talked about in the public eye. The medical tests, the player meetings, the psych evals, and how players approach the whole process. Some players just do not prepare well for INDY, and shockingly enough fail to prepare in the pros. 80% of their time there is not about anything physical, but like so much today, we like to compare what we perceive as objective like 40 times versus game speed.

The combine has a lot of real purpose, the biggest ones are not the ones the NFL Network makes a grand spectacle.