PDA

View Full Version : In lean market, Peppers, Dansby are biggest prizes

Bronco Rob
02-21-2010, 07:39 AM
In lean market, Peppers, Dansby are biggest prizes

Clifton Brown
Feb. 19, 2010 - 7:35 p.m. ET

NFL free agency will be less frantic this year. With no collective bargaining in place, only free agents with six or more years of service are unrestricted. Meanwhile, some prominent free agents are likely to be designated with the franchise tag by the Feb. 25 deadline.

"There are not as many free agents out there this year," Texans owner Bob McNair told reporters at a news conference last week.

Things will remain fluid between now and the start of free agency on March 5Some free agents will agree to new contracts. Some veterans will be released, once teams decide that their 2010 contract terms are too costly.

But as things stand today, here is how things are shaping up for the top unrestricted free agents:

Expect them to be tagged and stay put

Aubrayo Franklin, NT, 49ers. He has become a valuable part of the defense, keeping blockers away from star inside linebacker Patrick Willis. The 49ers think they can win the NFC West next season, but they won't if they let talented assets go. Franklin will either be re-signed or be hit with the franchise tag. Tag number: $7.033 million.

Casey Hampton, NT, Steelers. If the two sides can't work out a deal, he is likely to be franchised, though there's a slim chance the Steelers will let him go. At age 32, he is still an effective player, but don't be surprised if the Steelers draft a nose tackle. Tag number: $7.003 million.

Ryan Pickett, DT, Packers. He wants to stay in Green Bay, and the Packers want him to stay. That means he is staying, either with a new deal or with the tag. Tag number: $7.003 million.

Richard Seymour, DE, Raiders. They traded a first-round draft pick to the Patriots to get him last year. So letting him go, without compensation, would make no sense. His agent is trying to forge a new deal. But if an agreement can't be reached, the Raiders will franchise him. Tag number: $12.398 million.

Darren Sharper, S, Saints. He immediately became a key addition to a team that won the Super Bowl. Not only is he a terrific player, but he is a terrific leader. So the Saints won't let him go. Tag number: $6.455 million.

Vince Wilfork, DT, Patriots. The Patriots already have defensive issues, and he is one of the best players in the league at his position. They can't let him leave. If no new deal is struck, he will be franchised. Tag number: $7.003 million.

Top five who should be available

1. Julius Peppers, DE, Panthers. Since he carries a franchise tag near the $20-million range, the Panthers have no choice but to let him walk. Possible landing spots: Eagles, Patriots.

2. Karlos Dansby, LB, Cardinals. No way the Cardinals will pay the hefty franchise fee to their leading tackler. Possible landing spots: Chargers, Dolphins.

3. Dunta Robinson, CB, Texans. He could be franchised again, but if not, a player with his cover skills will be coveted. Possible landing spots: Falcons, Titans.

4. Chester Taylor, RB, Vikings. It will be tough for the Vikes to franchise a backup, so he is likely to hit the market. Possible landing spots: Redskins, Seahawks.

5. Terrell Owens, WR, Bills. The one-year experiment in Buffalo did not work for Owens or the Bills. Possible landing spots: Bengals, Buccaneers.

Others who should reach the market

Leigh Bodden, CB, Patriots. Bodden isn't opposed to re-signing, but he can't pass up the chance to test the market. Possible landing spots: Eagles, Ravens.

Antonio Bryant, WR, Buccaneers. Because of injuries and inconsistency, he isn't worth franchising. Possible landing spots: Chiefs, Dolphins.

Keith Bulluck, LB, Titans. His best years could be in his rearview mirror. Possible landing spots: Colts, Giants.

Ryan Clark, S, Steelers. Always salary-conscious, the Steelers will likely find his asking price too high. Possible landing spots: Bears, Bills.

Larry Foote, LB, Lions. In rebuilding mode, the Lions will likely let him go. Possible landing spots: Patriots, Vikings.

Larry Johnson, RB, Bengals. He will be 31 next season, and the Bengals have running back depth. Possible landing spots: Chargers, Texans.

Aaron Kampman, LB, Packers. Out of place at linebacker in the Packers' 3-4, he can return to end in a 4-3 someplace else. Possible landing spots: Bears, Lions.

Kevin Mawae, C, Titans. He is 39, and the Titans are reluctant to pay him starter's money. Possible landing spots: Broncos, Eagles.

Willie Parker, RB, Steelers. Not sure what the market will be for a running back who will turn 30 this year. Possible landing spots: Texans, Chargers.

Jermaine Phillips, S, Buccaneers. The rebuilding Bucs will not spend big money to keep him. Possible landing spots: Giants, Steelers.

Josh Reed, WR, Bills. He needs a change of scenery, and there is demand for receivers. Possible landing spots: Chiefs, Patriots.

Kyle Vanden Bosch, DE, Titans. Barring a last-minute deal with the Titans, he will find some takers looking for a pass rusher. Possible landing spots: Browns, Jets.

Mike Vrabel, LB, Chiefs. His agent says Vrabel will not retire, which means he will draw some interest. Possible landing spots: Browns, Giants.

Kevin Walter, WR, Texans. Just 28, he could be a valuable pickup for a team needing receiver help. Possible landing spots: Chiefs, Lions.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-02-19/lean-market-peppers-dansby-are-biggest-prizes

baja
02-21-2010, 08:20 AM
well NE can't sigh every body can they?

ayjackson
02-21-2010, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't rule out the Patriots tagging and trading Wilfork. They played a lot of 4-3 base last year and could do so again this year while developing Brace as their nose tackle of the future. Pryor-Warren would be a solid DT pair. Burgess could be brought back at DE and they could add another in the draft.

The appeal of this plan is not overpaying for a player who's on the field for about 60% of defensive snaps, and the fact that they can't find a SILB. Mayo played out of position there last year.

broncosteven
02-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Funny how KFC is mentioned for every WR FA out there.

I also can't fathom LJ landing in SD. Just seems very odd to me.

BroncoBuff
02-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Hampton, Pickett and Wilfork stay put, okay .... but why not Vanden Bosch? I'd prefer him to Vonnie Holliday.

Drek
02-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Hampton, Pickett and Wilfork stay put, okay .... but why not Vanden Bosch? I'd prefer him to Vonnie Holliday.

Is a 3rd down rush end the kind of guy we want to pay $5-$6M per for? That is what Vanden Bosch will get.

Holliday is a good value fit for that role and hopefully will be retained.

I'm not sure I'd mark Pickett down as a franchise tag lock though. The Packers did use a top 10 pick on a young nose tackle last off-season, I'd be surprised if they want to pay Pickett $7M at the same time that Raji's contract is escalating. They did only make about $20-$30M profit last year, so they aren't exactly a team ready to break the bank in an uncapped year.

robbieopperude
02-21-2010, 06:09 PM
We need Julius Peppers. Trade B.Marsh and spend the cash to get Peppers who will make our D instantly better.

iDENVER
02-21-2010, 07:02 PM
We need Julius Peppers. Trade B.Marsh and spend the cash to get Peppers who will make our D instantly better.

no. spend the dough on marshall and doom

TonyR
02-21-2010, 07:05 PM
We need Julius Peppers.

Peppers' lack of passion makes him a risky bet
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 21, 2010 11:48 AM ET

We've heard Julius Peppers called the biggest impact unrestricted free agent since Reggie White, but Reggie White never had people questioning his effort.

Peppers' up-and-down career, marked by periods of brilliance and games where he disappeared, makes him a hard player to evaluate on the open market.

"I wouldn't touch him, for that money and what he gives you,'' an ex-Panthers personnel man told the Boston Globe.

"He could end up costing some personnel guy his job,'' an AFC scout said. "I'm terrified of him. In my heart of hearts, I believe that if you pay this guy, I don't think you'll see a double-digit sack [season] again the rest of his career.''

SI's Ross Tucker, who played against Peppers, also wrote a column this week questioning Peppers' work ethic. Even ex-teammates like Brentson Buckner are quoted by the Globe's Albert Breer marveling at his skill, but wondering about his love for football.

Peppers' superhuman talent and strong finish to the season will make him a very rich man. He absolutely destroyed the Vikings and the Giants in Panthers victories.

But Julius Peppers is not Reggie White and the league knows it. We'll see if anyone -- like Dan Snyder -- pays Peppers like a transformational player anyway.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/21/peppers-lack-of-passion-makes-him-risky-bet/

broncosteven
02-21-2010, 07:05 PM

I didn't think Peppers wants to play in a 3-4.

broncswin
02-21-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't want peppers...this guy is trouble...he will get his big money and be content to run at 70%...I agree with the above statement...money goes to Doom and BMarsh

carlosgmz1
02-21-2010, 08:49 PM
I didn't think Peppers wants to play in a 3-4.

from wat i hear he wants to play in a 3-4 defense

watermock
02-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Actually, Denver has the most attractive free agents, due to the Head Coach's attitude.

On ths list are QB Kyle Orton, NLF sack leader Elvis Dumerville, 3 time 1000yard WR Brandon Marshal, as wel as Chris Kuper, a solid RG for formerly one of the bast running attacks in the league. Little used Peyton Hillis,is expected to be released.

Meanwhile, Denver has lost bobby Turner, it's long time ZBS schemer, along with his general, Rick Dennison, to join A trio of teams.

It might be mentioned that the broncos have also lost Nolan, which brought the Broncos off a clff only to get pissed and take a job with Pacells in Miami.

Not a bad gig.

Welcome to reality.

watermock
02-21-2010, 09:40 PM
The fact that Denver is likely to simply tender them is appaently. "A league decision."

Well well, Mr. Bowlen.

You bent over last time and NOW you know you got ****ed?

baja
02-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Actually, Denver has the most attractive free agents, due to the Head Coach's attitude.

On ths list are QB Kyle Orton, NLF sack leader Elvis Dumerville, 3 time 1000yard WR Brandon Marshal, as wel as Chris Kuper, a solid RG for formerly one of the bast running attacks in the league. Little used Peyton Hillis,is expected to be released.

<b>Meanwhile, Denver has lost bobby Turner, it's long time ZBS schemer, along with his general, Rick Dennison, to join A trio of teams.</b>

It might be mentioned that the broncos have also lost Nolan, which brought the Broncos off a clff only to get pissed and take a job with Pacells in Miami.

Not a bad gig.

Welcome to reality.

Hoe do two guys join three teams Mock?

Florida_Bronco
02-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Meanwhile, Denver has lost bobby Turner, it's long time ZBS schemer, along with his general, Rick Dennison, to join A trio of teams. Considering we **** canned the ZBS, I'd say it's a mutually beneficial move.

watermock
02-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Hoe do two guys join three teams Mock?

I knew yould be a shiathead.

Turner went to Wash, Nolan to Miami, and Dennison to Houston. OK?

Fact is was an epic bail.

baja
02-21-2010, 10:11 PM
I knew yould be a shiathead.

Turner went to Wash, Nolan to Miami, and Dennison to Houston. OK?

<b>Fact is was an epic bail.

We'll see. I think we are going to be more than fine. McD will improve greatly in his second year.

We had a poll about the most improved rookie player. our rookie coach was not even mentioned.

I think it will be McDaniels that will make the biggest leap forward next season and it will make a huge difference for our Broncos.

watermock
02-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Considering we **** canned the ZBS, I'd say it's a mutually beneficial move.

What makes you think we will have a running attack next year?

Or is our passing game going to carry the day?

We will be in the bottom 1/3 of the NFL in offense next year.

baja
02-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Mock you think we will be 8 & 8 next year?

watermock
02-21-2010, 10:17 PM
We'll see. I think we are going to be more than fine. McD will improve greatly in his second year.

We had a poll about the most improved rookie player. our rookie coach was not even mentioned.

I think it will be McDaniels that will make the biggest leap forward next season and it will make a huge difference for our Broncos.

There is a reason behind player of the year and coach of the year.

I'll bet 50 pesos Denver doesn't have 1.

watermock
02-21-2010, 10:22 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zUPBs0tP07Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zUPBs0tP07Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>.

baja
02-21-2010, 10:27 PM
There is a reason behind player of the year and coach of the year.

I'll bet 50 pesos Denver doesn't have 1.

OK but you should give me some odds, that is by nature one long shot bet.

say 3 to 1

Florida_Bronco
02-21-2010, 11:11 PM
What makes you think we will have a running attack next year? Why not? Moreno will be in his 2nd year and healthy, we'll still have Buckhalter, maybe Hillis gets his act together and we'll see an improved interior line coached by true man blocking coaches.

We will be in the bottom 1/3 of the NFL in offense next year. Highly doubt that.

oubronco
02-22-2010, 08:41 PM
<TABLE border=0 width=630><TBODY><TR><TD width="80%">Panthers | Will let Peppers walk
</TD><TD width="20%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:05:32 -0800

Updating an ongoing story, Pat Yasinskas (http://www.orangemane.com/link/128), of ESPN.com (http://www.orangemane.com/link/269), reports the Carolina Panthers (http://www.orangemane.com/team/10/nfl) will not use their franchise tag on DE Julius Peppers (http://www.orangemane.com/player/239/nfl) and let him test free agency, according to WCNC Television's Ira Cronin. Team officials have declined to confirm or deny the story, but there has been speculation the team would let him walk.