PDA

View Full Version : Guess who's a UFA...

TonyR
02-19-2010, 07:58 PM
2010 free agent quarterback class has a surprise entry
Posted by Mike Florio on February 19, 2010 8:19 PM ET

As you may know, we've been listing the restricted and unrestricted free agents on a division-by-division basis, and then posting an item in the Rumor Mill with some connection to the four-team list of restricted and unrestricted free agents.

For the NFC South free agents, we had planned to focus this teaser entry on the Saints. But then we saw that the Buccaneers' list of unrestricted free agents, as disseminated by the NFLPA, includes guy who never played for the Buccaneers.

Quarterback Jake Plummer.

Plummer was traded from Denver to Tampa in early 2007, and Plummer said he'd retire in lieu of playing for the Bucs. Eventually, Tampa obtained a sizable refund of bonus money paid by the Broncos to Plummer. The resolution apparently did not entail Plummer being placed on the reserve-retired list.

As a result, he'll be available to sign with any team, if he should choose to unretire.

Plummer is only 35, a spring chicken in comparison to Brett Favre -- and only 15 months older than Peyton Manning.

Maybe Mike Shanahan and the Redskins would be interested. Said Plummer in July 2009 regarding the man who benched Plummer in 2006 and traded him in 2007: "Well, he was what only five-four? But he wants them to think he's five-six. Hey man, that's just like his mansion, he wants you to think it's bigger than it is."

Actually, maybe Plummer would be interested in joining the Cowboys, Giants, or Eagles.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/19/2010-free-agent-quarterback-class-has-a-surprise-entry/

loborugger
02-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Plummer reuniting with Shanahan?

Really???

After all the stuff that happened between those two, for anyone to even speculate that Jake would wanna play for Shanny - or that Shanny would want Jake back - speaks volumes about the ignorance of the author of this article.

HAT
02-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Cards.

TonyR
02-19-2010, 08:10 PM
After all the stuff that happened between those two, for anyone to even speculate that Jake would wanna play for Shanny - or that Shanny would want Jake back - speaks volumes about the ignorance of the author of this article.

I'm fairly certain that Florio was being sarcastic here...

loborugger
02-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Ya, I saw that last line after I posted.

D'oh!

However, Jake has been outta it for 4 years now. And he's 35. He's gonna be rustier than Ron Mexico by a ways. I cant see him being a contributor to an NFL franchise ever again.

And going back to the 'ignorance' of the article, everything Jake has talked about and said since his time under center would led one to think that he is completely happy about walking away when he did. He talks about being able to still walk comfortably, he is into handball, he does volunteer work... it makes no sense.

strafen
02-19-2010, 08:26 PM
That's crazy! :crazy:

bowtown
02-19-2010, 08:30 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/i/1/6/B/PHP49E8EE5800B61.jpg

"I'm too busy slapping balls around."

PaintballCLE
02-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Sign him now!

BroncoMan4ever
02-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Ya, I saw that last line after I posted.

D'oh!

However, Jake has been outta it for 4 years now. And he's 35. He's gonna be rustier than Ron Mexico by a ways. I cant see him being a contributor to an NFL franchise ever again.

And going back to the 'ignorance' of the article, everything Jake has talked about and said since his time under center would led one to think that he is completely happy about walking away when he did. He talks about being able to still walk comfortably, he is into handball, he does volunteer work... it makes no sense.

also he has money and a really hot wife. he is living a good life right now

Tombstone RJ
02-19-2010, 09:00 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/i/1/6/B/PHP49E8EE5800B61.jpg

"I'm too busy slapping balls around."

Hilarious!:giggle:Hilarious!

KipCorrington25
02-19-2010, 10:12 PM
I'd take him in a heartbeat over the crap (read Orton) we currently have.

DBroncos4life
02-20-2010, 02:43 AM
There is only one coach in the NFL that has coached Jake Plummer and not been fired.

Rocket 7
02-20-2010, 02:56 AM
There is only one coach in the NFL that has coached Jake Plummer and not been fired.

I give up who?

DBroncos4life
02-20-2010, 03:07 AM
I give up who?

Kubes.

Look what he did to Gruden. The guy has had 4 HC's and each one of them have been fired. How many HC's lasted more then two years with this guy as the QB?

extralife
02-20-2010, 03:27 AM
Shanahan is the only coach in the NFL that could get anything out of Jake Plummer, and I'm pretty sure a four year layoff means he's done. The dude can't throw the ball from the pocket. That's a pretty big weakness.

*WARHORSE*
02-20-2010, 03:57 AM
Id sign him up in a heartbeat. He can back up Orton unless he can beat him out.

orinjkrush
02-20-2010, 06:52 AM
mcdaniels is what, 5'2"? but he wants us to think he's 5'4".

yeah, plummer and mcpoopy would get along just fine.

Pony Boy
02-20-2010, 07:01 AM
Plummer reuniting with Shanahan? Sure right.... and the next thing your going to tell is "Jesus is gay".....

Rausch 2.0
02-20-2010, 08:19 AM
I expect him to continue to grow his filth-beard, play handball, and maintain a firm grasp of the closet door from the inside...

broncocalijohn
02-20-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm fairly certain that Florio was being sarcastic here...

To bad loborugger couldnt figure that out for himself. Even with the statement that maybe he should play for the Cowboys, Eagles or Giants.....Redskins rivals. Oh, lobo. Broncosforum might be for you.

Los Broncos
02-20-2010, 02:08 PM
He could break off 2k again.

The MVPlaya
02-20-2010, 02:58 PM
It's pretty sad to see people even imagine he could beat out Orton or even want to sign him. It's like, people never even watched the Broncos back then.

This guy was probably one of the worst pocket QB's we had. I remember holding my breath every time he'd drop back for a pass. Our offense was buily around the running game and play action pass. Kubiak made him work and that's why he's a HC right now.

Plummer invented the left hand pass if you guys remember.

I mean he lost the job coming off his best season... what does that tell you?

loborugger
02-20-2010, 04:32 PM
To bad loborugger couldnt figure that out for himself. Even with the statement that maybe he should play for the Cowboys, Eagles or Giants.....Redskins rivals. Oh, lobo. Broncosforum might be for you.

See post #5.

broncosteven
02-20-2010, 05:59 PM
It's pretty sad to see people even imagine he could beat out Orton or even want to sign him. It's like, people never even watched the Broncos back then.

This guy was probably one of the worst pocket QB's we had. I remember holding my breath every time he'd drop back for a pass. Our offense was buily around the running game and play action pass. Kubiak made him work and that's why he's a HC right now.

Plummer invented the left hand pass if you guys remember.

I mean he lost the job coming off his best season... what does that tell you?

Plummer was fine as long as teams bit hard on the boot and he was able to get out of the pocket. Once teams figured out that he could not pass from inside the pocket his career was over.

I would take Plummer over Orton any day.

broncosteven
02-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Id sign him up in a heartbeat. He can back up Orton unless he can beat him out.

Ya Plummer worked out so well as a Back up for Cutler that he put up a 0.0 QB rating.

Just say no!

Pontius Pirate
02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
I love how Plummer was voted Denver's best post-Elway QB...BY THIS BOARD....AND BY A HUGE MARGIN

and yet so many would not give him the chance again (despite being Peyton's age).

broncosteven
02-22-2010, 03:23 PM
I love how Plummer was voted Denver's best post-Elway QB...BY THIS BOARD....AND BY A HUGE MARGIN

and yet so many would not give him the chance again (despite being Peyton's age).

They were blinded by Moxie, that or his competition was SOB...

HAT
02-22-2010, 03:34 PM

I liked Plummer a lot and I probably voted for him in the very poll of which you speak. But that does not make him a better option at this point than Orton. And it's not his age, it's his time away from the game.

Orton just put up near identical numbers to Cutler's 2008....With a dislocated finger, a glove, a tweaked ankle, in a new system, etc.

There's not a QB I'd rather have going into 2010 not named, Manning, Brees, Brady, Favre, Rivers, Schaub, Rodgers or Roethlisburger.

The MVPlaya
02-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Plummer was fine as long as teams bit hard on the boot and he was able to get out of the pocket. Once teams figured out that he could not pass from inside the pocket his career was over.

I would take Plummer over Orton any day.

And this is why I cringe when I go into threads like these. People are so far off base from reality.