PDA

View Full Version : Car stereo satellite ready.

Los Broncos
02-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Need some tech help here.

Kinda of a dumb question because I should know.

My car unit is satellite ready.

I have a XM receiver, how do I hook it through the unit?

Or does does it hook up through the unit at all?

PaintballCLE
02-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Need some tech help here.

Kinda of a dumb question because I should know.

My car unit is satellite ready.

I have a XM receiver, how do I hook it through the unit?

Or does does it hook up through the unit at all?

is your Xm receiver a plug and play (one you can take out) if it is, your only option is the AUX jack and you control the satelite from your plug and play receiver..

If its a in dash recievier, this is the kind you want for a sat ready head unit (bolts in under dash or under seat) then you hook it up to the back of the radio, and your radio controls the satelite.

Conklin
02-19-2010, 07:04 PM
cars come one of two ways now a days. Satellite capable which means they have the XM tuner and have the antenna wired, but lack the receiver. or they come with the receiver already installed. If your car is just XM capable or "ready" you'll need the XM receiver, which usually runs 4-500 smacks through your vehicle's manufacturer

Los Broncos
02-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Mine is portable, I hook my Zune through the front AUX.

Which I assume is what I hook my receiver to?

So just use the cigarette lighter for power?

Los Broncos
02-19-2010, 08:11 PM
is your Xm receiver a plug and play (one you can take out) if it is, your only option is the AUX jack and you control the satelite from your plug and play receiver..

If its a in dash recievier, this is the kind you want for a sat ready head unit (bolts in under dash or under seat) then you hook it up to the back of the radio, and your radio controls the satelite.

Okay, now I get it, either use the antenna that it came with or mount one under the seat.

Boobs McGee
02-19-2010, 08:35 PM
do you have the model number of A) your head unit and B) the xm reciever?

PaintballCLE
02-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Okay, now I get it, either use the antenna that it came with or mount one under the seat.

well the antenna is going to be the same no matter what, its the actual XM radio reciever that there are two different kinds. one is "behind the dash" and you dont see it at all and it just plays through your radio, this is basically what they are talking about when they say sat ready, it means its compatible with these kind. (if you ever rented a car or something that had sat radio built in, this is what they ar eusing behind the dash or under the seat)
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/pntballkrm/200x92-gex-p920xm.jpg

or the other is the more common radios, that work on any radio, that you can take from car to car, this is the one you would have to put in your AUX jack if you have one, use an antenna adapter, or play it through the fm transmitter (which i dont recommend) etc.http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/pntballkrm/base_media.jpg

Boobs McGee
02-19-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm curious McBleedO&B....when i HAD xm back in the day (like, eight years ago when it was pretty new)I had the setup in your first picture. I had finally bought my dream deck, anybody remember this thing of beauty?
http://pix.crutchfield.com/products/2002/130/h130DEHP840-o.jpeg

GOD i loved that deck.

Anywho, I had the tuner/shark fin looking antenna, and as long as I wasn't going through any tunnels, canyons, or skyscraper types of areas, I had incredible reception. My question, have you tried one of recievers that just plugs into your aux jack? How's the reception on one of those things??

PaintballCLE
02-19-2010, 11:05 PM
I'm curious McBleedO&B....when i HAD xm back in the day (like, eight years ago when it was pretty new)I had the setup in your first picture. I had finally bought my dream deck, anybody remember this thing of beauty?
http://pix.crutchfield.com/products/2002/130/h130DEHP840-o.jpeg

GOD i loved that deck.

Anywho, I had the tuner/shark fin looking antenna, and as long as I wasn't going through any tunnels, canyons, or skyscraper types of areas, I had incredible reception. My question, have you tried one of recievers that just plugs into your aux jack? How's the reception on one of those things??

to me the reception is exactly the same, as long as you have the antenna OUTSIDE your car. When i see people have it on the inside and then complain about reception it makes me laugh. However, i will say this........the "better" your deck, the WORSE xm or sirius will sound. It sounds great on factory radios, but you get a nice head unit and it sounds like your listening to it in a tin can. Especially if you have 4-way speakers. I think the feed is pretty condensed and when you have a high rated unit, it ruins the sound. So keep that in mind, but as for the plug and plays, the reception is exactly the same. At work we ar ein parking garages and under buildings all the time and it works pretty much everywhere. But i like the portablility of being able to take it to work, then on the way home just plug it into my car. The portable/mp3 style ones like the stillheto reception SUCK dont ever buy one of those. The antenna is built into the headphones, so your stuck using the crappy ones they have, and your signal goes in and out. Terrible!

PaintballCLE
02-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Mine is portable, I hook my Zune through the front AUX.

Which I assume is what I hook my receiver to?

So just use the cigarette lighter for power?

exactly.

Los Broncos
02-20-2010, 02:58 PM
I just want mine installed to where I don't have cables hanging all over.

Like a pro install, my unit is four years old and I haven't used it in a long time.

Hopefully I can still use the receiver.

PaintballCLE
02-20-2010, 03:03 PM
I just want mine installed to where I don't have cables hanging all over.

Like a pro install, my unit is four years old and I haven't used it in a long time.

Hopefully I can still use the receiver.

yeah its really not hard to do, especially if your dash panel is easy to get off. most cars/trucks its just a few screws and some clips. if you took it to a bestbuy i think they do it for $49.

though i remember around xmas they were running a special if you bought the receiver there, they had free install. Dont know if they still have it or not.

Los Broncos
02-20-2010, 03:06 PM
yeah its really not hard to do, especially if your dash panel is easy to get off. most cars/trucks its just a few screws and some clips. if you took it to a bestbuy i think they do it for $49.

I looked it up, it's about that.

Will they mount the receiver to my dash or can should I buy a bracket that mounts to the window or stick to it?

The dash install would be more convenient I guess.

PaintballCLE
02-20-2010, 09:39 PM
I looked it up, it's about that.

Will they mount the receiver to my dash or can should I buy a bracket that mounts to the window or stick to it?

The dash install would be more convenient I guess.

it should have come with all that, if it didn't or you dont have it, you may wanna get another cheap xm radio (you can find them at walmart for under 49) and just use that one instead. Because if you buy it seperate, it will end up costing more than jsut buying a whole new radio kit.

just my opinion.

Los Broncos
02-20-2010, 10:20 PM
it should have come with all that, if it didn't or you dont have it, you may wanna get another cheap xm radio (you can find them at walmart for under 49) and just use that one instead. Because if you buy it seperate, it will end up costing more than jsut buying a whole new radio kit.

just my opinion.

Mine is a Roady 2 and I don't see anything for it online.

I seen one that was about $79.00.

So youre right, that cost about the same as the install.

Might as well upgrade, thanks.