PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network reviving Arena Football

Taco John
02-18-2010, 09:59 PM
The Nfl Rescues Arena Football

Arena football is coming back from the dead thanks to the NFL Network, of all things. The Arena Football League, which was forced to cancel its 2009 season after failing to come up with a TV network to carry its games, said Thursday that it has struck a deal with the NFL to have selected games of its 2010 season carried live in primetime on Friday nights beginning April 2. The NFL network will also carry playoff games between the top four teams in each of the AFL's national and American conferences in August with the championship ArenaBowl set to air over the weekend of August 20-23. Arena Football was originally televised by NBC from 2003 to 2006 but ratings never lived up to expectations, and the final ArenaBowl game aired by the network in 2006 drew one of the smallest audiences ever to watch a championship sports telecast. In December 2008, just after announcing it had canceled its 2009 season, the Arena Football League was hit with a lawsuit by NBC alleging that the league owed it $1,597,320 in advertising revenue from broadcasts during the 2006 season.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/the-nfl-rescues-arena-football_1131982

Tombstone RJ
02-18-2010, 10:03 PM
At least Elway won't lose any more money...

Hogan11
02-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Bringing back the arena foosball league eh? Meh, programing must be pretty slim pickings over at the NFLN.

Dagmar
02-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Prepping for 2011?

broncocalijohn
02-19-2010, 02:00 AM
Arena Football might be the only football on NFL network this coming season.

missingnumber7
02-19-2010, 06:21 AM
Wouldn't see why the NFL wouldn't buy the league to further its name and put its brand on something like this.

Rabb
02-19-2010, 06:22 AM
maybe this is a step towards a developmental type league?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-19-2010, 06:42 AM
Great move for the NFL. Really great.

To McRabb's point, I think we will see it become a developmental league for the NFL. And to have it in the Spring...

Thank you... oh, thank you.

Dagmar
02-19-2010, 06:45 AM

To McRabb's point, I think we will see it become a developmental league for the NFL. And to have it in the Spring...

That would be fabulous!

Rabb
02-19-2010, 07:00 AM
I actually miss Arena ball, sure I know it's not NFL but it was SOMETHING

missingnumber7
02-19-2010, 07:03 AM

FB in the spring is awesome. Start it in March to cure everyones off season blues, and run it through training camp. Find a way to tie it in to current teams and cities, or let cities who aren't quite big enough to have a team field one. Tie in some former players to use as a promo. The other thing is why the NFL doesn't try to affiliate itself with the UFL is beyond me.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-19-2010, 07:10 AM
FB in the spring is awesome. Start it in March to cure everyones off season blues, and run it through training camp. Find a way to tie it in to current teams and cities, or let cities who aren't quite big enough to have a team field one. Tie in some former players to use as a promo. The other thing is why the NFL doesn't try to affiliate itself with the UFL is beyond me.

I hadn't thought of it, but this has got to be a death sentence for the UFL. With the NFL backing Arena for the spring season, players would probably rather go to the Arena league (though it is a MUCH different game) to try and make the NFL...

Hogan11
02-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Two things:

1) Wasn't the Arena league already loosely affilitated with the NFL? I could've sworn it was. Being on the NFLN however, will garner about the same ratings as when the major networks turned it's backs on it. The ongoing battle with the major cable companies almost insures it. Out of sight, out of mind. It'll be lucky to get any mention at all outside of the NFLN.

2) The UFL has moved out of NYC to Hartford. Whether or not you're fond of NYC (and I'm not for the record), no move signals a deathnell more clearly than that as no league can consider itself legit without a NYC franchise.

Meck77
02-19-2010, 07:42 AM
I actually miss Arena ball, sure I know it's not NFL but it was SOMETHING

It was great at least in Denver. Game tickets started at $5.00 bucks. We tailgated at the gates of the stadium for free. Beer and food was cheap. Elway would mingle with fans. The product itself was pretty entertaining considering we won two Arena Bowl Championships. Oh you also had players who always played their asses off and kept their mouths shut.

Hogan you of all people could appreciate that.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-19-2010, 07:55 AM
It was great at least in Denver. Game tickets started at $5.00 bucks. We tailgated at the gates of the stadium for free. Beer and food was cheap. Elway would mingle with fans. The product itself was pretty entertaining considering we won two Arena Bowl Championships. Oh you also had players who always played their asses off and kept their mouths shut.

Thought the Crush only won one championship...

Or are you including the Denver Dynamite?

Rabb
02-19-2010, 07:58 AM

yes, exactly!

I was actually going to get some season tickets before they folded, it's cheap and fun entertainment

Garcia Bronco
02-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Two things:

1) Wasn't the Arena league already loosely affilitated with the NFL? I could've sworn it was. Being on the NFLN however, will garner about the same ratings as when the major networks turned it's backs on it. The ongoing battle with the major cable companies almost insures it. Out of sight, out of mind. It'll be lucky to get any mention at all outside of the NFLN.

2) The UFL has moved out of NYC to Hartford. Whether or not you're fond of NYC (and I'm not for the record), no move signals a deathnell more clearly than that as no league can consider itself legit without a NYC franchise.

LOL....**** New York.

Meck77
02-19-2010, 08:09 AM
My bad one championship. Not bad with such a short run though.

Beantown Bronco
02-19-2010, 08:29 AM

Sad part is, they don't even have a team in Hartford anymore. I just looked at the list of teams for 2010 and there's nothing even remotely close to the northeast. Looks like Cleveland is the "closest" they've got. Terrible.

Rabb
02-19-2010, 08:36 AM
http://www.arenafootball.com/

Um, am I missing something here?

Hogan11
02-19-2010, 08:47 AM

Actually that last part isn't true at all. If you recall, they marketed the last few years under the premise of "where the players can have fun" and encouraged excessive celebrations.

Yes the prices were family friendly and Elway mingling with fans would be worth the price of admission alone, but the product just wasn't football to me.....it was just too frickin' weird and wayy too high scoring to be taken very seriously IMHO.

....**** New York.

Garcia, I'm not a NYC fan either, but c'mon...try and tell me that isn't true.

Hogan11
02-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Sad part is, they don't even have a team in Hartford anymore. I just looked at the list of teams for 2010 and there's nothing even remotely close to the northeast. Looks like Cleveland is the "closest" they've got. Terrible.

Are you looking at the AFL or the UFL?

I was talking about the UFL, but you're right...there is no NY, NY/NJ AFL team either. Very odd.

Crushaholic
02-19-2010, 09:01 AM
http://www.arenafootball.com/

Um, am I missing something here?

Interesting. There is a certain "team of interest" missing. I hope this isn't the final list...

Beantown Bronco
02-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Are you looking at the AFL or the UFL?

I was talking about the UFL, but you're right...there is no NY, NY/NJ AFL team either. Very odd.

Gotcha....never even heard of the UFL before.

I just looked it up and found this.....are they referencing "our" Tatum Bell here?

http://www.ufl-football.com/teams/hartford

Rabb
02-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Interesting. There is a certain "team of interest" missing. I hope this isn't the final list...

exactly...and what I like even less is there is a schedule already posted without said team of interest

and the Iowa Barnstormers are back

Hogan11
02-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Gotcha....never even heard of the UFL before.

I just looked it up and found this.....are they referencing "our" Tatum Bell here?

http://www.ufl-football.com/teams/hartford

Yes. Didn't even have to look at the link because I remember one team's backfield was Tatum Bell & Michael Pittman

Beantown Bronco
02-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Yes. Didn't even have to look at the link because I remember one team's backfield was Tatum Bell & Michael Pittman

I guess that's probably a big reason why they are currently undefeated.

Holy crap, look at this roster:

Tatum Bell
Michael Pittman
PJ Alexander
Patrick Chuckwurah
Todd Sauerbrun

Classic.

http://www.ufl-football.com/teams/florida_tuskers/roster

Hogan11
02-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Holy crap, look at this roster:

Tatum Bell
Michael Pittman
PJ Alexander
Patrick Chuckwurah
Todd Sauerbrun

Classic.

http://www.ufl-football.com/teams/florida_tuskers/roster

Watching that would've gave you a clue as to what watching the Deadskins is gonna be like in a couple of years

peacepipe
02-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Makes me wonder considering the possibility of a lock out or strike if the NFL is looking to boost up players in the arene league to use as scabs if there is a strike. After what happened in the XFL the NFL is not interested in repeating the type of ratings that lead to the XFLs demise.

broncocalijohn
02-20-2010, 01:20 AM
UFL needs to put a team in the OC/LA area. XFL had at least 20k per game when it was played at the coliseum. Why put a team in SF or NY when there are places like San Antonio and SoCal (minus SD) that would probably go to some games. Vegas and LA would be a good rival. Use what XFL did and have local talent that was popular in college (USC and UCLA).

Meck77
02-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Interesting. A new group picked up the entire "heap" for 6 million. NFL network sticking their hands in. Kosar, Ditka, Danny White in. They might have a chance with the new economies of scale they are working on.

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - The Arena Football League, reborn under new leadership after folding last year, is already looking to add teams in Philadelphia, Southern California, Denver and Pittsburgh.

Commissioner Jerry Kurz said on a conference call Wednesday that the league has had serious negotiations to place teams in those markets beginning with the 2011 season. The Philadelphia Soul won the last AFL title in 2008.

"We are so excited to be talking to the Philadelphia market and we would love nothing more than for Jon Bon Jovi, Craig Spencer and Ron Jaworski to join our league," Kurz said. "Our ownership has already extended an offer to them to join us.

"No one has done more for the brand of arena football than that collective group."

Kurz says a new group of owners spent $6.1 million for the assets of the defunct Arena Football League, including the name, history and records. It will re-launch in April with 15 teams - about half of them from the former AFL and the remainder from what used to be known as arenafootball2, or AF2.

He set out no concrete plans for how many teams the AFL eventually hopes to include. There were 17 AFL teams when the league went bankrupt last year, and another 25 participated in AF2.

"I think that horizon is open. Our ownership is dedicated to expansion and covering the country," Kurz said. "However, they're also dedicated to bringing in expansion markets and teams as it is appropriate - when we can make sure that there's great ownership in a city, great community support and it's appropriate - not just to have teams here and there."

Kurz said the new AFL will follow the model of Major League Soccer in having all players and coaches employed by the league instead of by individual teams in a bid to "correct an economic model that failed." That arrangement will allow the league to collectively seek out such needs as equipment deals and workers' compensation coverage.

"It's power buying, not unlike large chains that do that as well, to capitalize on size and quantity," Kurz said.

All players will be paid a uniform amount, Kurz said, although he kept that figure confidential.

"Control is not a bad word. Control is a very good word in these challenging economic times," Kurz said.

The AFL has already reached a one-year deal with the NFL Network to broadcast a Friday night game of the week, beginning with Chicago at Iowa on April 2. Kurz said 14 of the 15 teams will be featured during the regular season.

The eight-team playoffs and Arena Bowl, which will be played at the home of the higher seed, will also be televised.

Team owners and executives include former Chicago Bears coach Mike Ditka, former Cleveland Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar and former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Danny White.

Former AFL teams that will resume operations include Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Arizona, Utah, Orlando and Tampa Bay. Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Alabama, Bossier-Shreveport, Iowa, Spokane, Jacksonville and Milwaukee will move from af2 into the new league.

"It is essential for all of our teams to be successful in their own markets, of course. However, all of our teams must be working for the common goal and that is all teams being sustainable in this challenging economic time," Kurz said.

The AFL had been playing its high-scoring brand of indoor football for 22 years before it folded last year. John Elway, Jerry Jones and Bon Jovi provided star power in management roles, and the league gained a bounce in credibility when Kurt Warner went on to lead the St. Louis Rams to a Super Bowl title. Games were eventually shown on NBC and ESPN.

But revenue couldn't keep up with costs, and the 2009 season was canceled before the league announced it was shutting down in August. Plans for the new league surfaced about a month later.

"The thing right now that everybody needs to realize is that there are a lot of sacrifices being made by a lot of people who are counting on this league succeeding and that the future is bright," White said.

"I think 2009, when the history books have been written, may go down as maybe the single most important year in the history of arena football because it was a chance for us to take a little bit of a break, step back. I kind of liken it to the pause that you take when you're shifting gears. ... I think with this model, with an opportunity for the owners to actually make a profit, the sky is the limit for the Arena Football League."