PDA

View Full Version : Wilfork will be tagged

oubronco
02-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Schefter just reported on NFL live that Wilfork will be tagged and isn't going to be happy about it

iDENVER
02-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Schefter just reported on NFL live that Wilfolk will be tagged and isn't going to be happy about it

well that sucks, wonder what Mr. wilfork will say about this

SoCalBronco
02-15-2010, 01:07 PM
That's ok. He can respond by not signing the 1 year deal until Week 1.

theAPAOps5
02-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Ah so he is getting slapped in the face, his words!

BroncoSojia
02-15-2010, 01:13 PM
shocking

TheReverend
02-15-2010, 01:25 PM
That's ok. He can respond by not signing the 1 year deal until Week 1.

He'll sign it once a trade is worked out by draft time, imo

gyldenlove
02-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Surprise cat is surprised

http://unholymatrimony.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/surprise.jpg

iDENVER
02-15-2010, 01:26 PM

who do you think trades for him and how much does this team give up

PRBronco
02-15-2010, 01:28 PM
I feel like the free agency frenzy this year is going to be really boring. Or really embarrassing as teams decide they need to acquire SOMEONE and blow millions on mediocre players. I'm looking at you Al Davis. Actually I'm not, because he's really really gross.

elsid13
02-15-2010, 01:28 PM
WEEI pointed out this morning that every time the Patriots have used the franchise tag, they have traded that player. Hopefully McDaniels and Xanders don't do something stupid here. This draft is rich with DT/NT that will cost a helluva lot less the Wilfork.

SoCalBronco
02-15-2010, 01:29 PM

Very possibly. I think this thing was a year in the making. They drafted Brace with the intention of letting him become the NT after trading Wilfork for a small fortune after tagging him. It's kind of a heartless approach, very light on rewarding your workhorses, but it's absolutely efficient, rational and effective.

Rabb
I wouldn't call getting Wilfork stupid...but I agree we should look for youth

still, I wouldn't be upset

Cito Pelon
One of many top FA guys. And that's another bone of contention btwn the players and the owners, the franchise tags. There's a lot of bones of contention btwn the owners and players to be worked out.

ColoradoDarin
02-15-2010, 01:32 PM
WEEI pointed out this morning that every time the Patriots have used the franchise tag, they have traded that player. Hopefully McDaniels and Xanders don't do something stupid here. This draft is rich with DT/NT that will cost a helluva lot less the Wilfork.

If the Pats will part with him for a 3rd?

iDENVER
02-15-2010, 01:34 PM
If the Pats will part with him for a 3rd?

not a chance and hell probably a 1st and a 3rd

TheReverend
02-15-2010, 01:35 PM
who do you think trades for him and how much does this team give up

1st-2nd

Very possibly. I think this thing was a year in the making. They drafted Brace with the intention of letting him become the NT after trading Wilfork for a small fortune after tagging him. It's kind of a heartless approach, very light on rewarding your workhorses, but it's absolutely efficient, rational and effective.

^^^

It should all come down to 2 things:

1. If they feel Ron is ready to step in as a starter

and

2. If they feel they can get their hands on a blue chipper DL in the first two rounds this season.

With how deep this draft is, I think two is a foregone conclusion and Wilfork is headed somewhere Southwest of Boston :)

iDENVER
02-15-2010, 01:41 PM
1st-2nd

^^^

It should all come down to 2 things:

1. If they feel Ron is ready to step in as a starter

and

2. If they feel they can get their hands on a blue chipper DL in the first two rounds this season.

With how deep this draft is, I think two is a foregone conclusion and Wilfork is headed somewhere Southwest of Boston :)

is this a 1st and a 2nd or either or?

iDENVER
02-15-2010, 01:42 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/15/franchise-tag-for-aubrayo-franklin/

also aubrayo franklin is gonna get tagged so if you want you could add this to the title

elsid13
02-15-2010, 01:43 PM
I am really really envious of Pats' draft option. If they play it smart, they could establish the foundation of defense that could be great. They will be able to add value on defense line and line backer position, both big weakness for them. And that without the trade of Wilfork.

watermock
02-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Ah, Brace...couldn't of gotten him instead of Quinn?

Florida_Bronco
02-15-2010, 01:55 PM

Not without making a massive overpick, plus we didn't have a stud NT to groom him behind.

ColoradoDarin
02-15-2010, 02:10 PM
not a chance and hell probably a 1st and a 3rd

Cassell and Vrabel were both had for a high 2nd. I'm just throwing it out there.... :)

TheReverend
02-15-2010, 02:13 PM
is this a 1st and a 2nd or either or?

Depends on how the bidding goes when they start getting calls I suppose

iDENVER
02-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Depends on how the bidding goes when they start getting calls I suppose

yea, i think he stays put

NFLBRONCO
02-15-2010, 02:22 PM
This is one area I wish McD would copy from Billy is stockpiling picks to help rebuild process.

GoHAM
02-15-2010, 02:26 PM

Nope, but we could have had him or Maualuga instead of a midget backup nickel back.

eddie mac
02-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Might have been hard considering we took Quinn at 64 and Brace was off the board at pick 40.

watermock
02-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Not without making a massive overpick, plus we didn't have a stud NT to groom him behind.

WTF? Quinn and Smith were both massive reaches.

Fields, Holliday and Baker were going to "teach" anybody?" aren't they supposed to hold onto their spot on the roster?

Isn't that the coaches responsibiliy, rather than the players?

And isn't the coaches resposibility anyway?

Cito Pelon
02-15-2010, 02:33 PM
well that sucks, wonder what Mr. wilfork will say about this

I got a twitter from Robertina Krafterson, said "spk w/wlfk, he sd no 2 Krmln rd 2 gt SB rng bk frm tht stnkng cmmie bstd Vldmr Ptn. Tld hm h's frnchs, r he gos to Dtrt. Nd no lunch."

Look for NE to field a team from the Chechen league if there's a lockout.

iDENVER
02-15-2010, 02:34 PM
I got a twitter from Robertina Krafterson, said "spk w/wlfk, he sd no 2 Krmln rd 2 gt SB rng bk frm tht stnkng cmmie bstd Vldmr Ptn. Tld hm h's frnchs, r he gos to Dtrt. Nd no lunch."

Look for NE to field a team from the Chechen league if there's a lockout.

:rofl:

watermock
02-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Might have been hard considering we took Quinn at 64 and Brace was off the board at pick 40.

Only because we traded up for Smith.

We had 5 picks in the first 64 and got didley squat.

Rationalize it all you want.

eddie mac
02-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Why on earth is anyone surprised that a Franchise is doing what it can to get the upmost value for a player they groomed???

More to the point how would anyone on here react if McDaniels and Co just decided to let Brandon Marshall hit the open market???

TonyR
02-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Cassell and Vrabel were both had for a high 2nd. I'm just throwing it out there.... :)

That's actually a good point. At the time it seemed the Pats could have gotten a lot more but for whatever reason appeared to rush into the deal.

eddie mac
02-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Only because we traded up for Smith.

We had 5 picks in the first 64 and got didley squat.

Rationalize it all you want.

So you dont rate any of the players we drafted in the first two rounds???

Maybe that's why you sit on your ass and type all day whilst our team's employees get paid 7 figures to make those decisions.

Rome wasn't built in a day Mock and rookies need more time to gel.

watermock
02-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Brandon Marshall WON'T HIT THE OPEN MARKET. Unless they are total idiots.

Cito Pelon
02-15-2010, 02:42 PM

The draftee I thought was worth a flyer in the late 2nd was Paul Kruger.

eddie mac
02-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Brandon Marshall WON'T HIT THE OPEN MARKET. Unless they are total idiots.

Exactly my point which would make the Patriots front office total idiots if they did not get something back for Wilfork.

watermock
02-15-2010, 02:45 PM
So you dont rate any of the players we drafted in the first two rounds???

Maybe that's why you sit on your ass and type all day whilst our team's employees get paid 7 figures to make those decisions.

Rome wasn't built in a day Mock and rookies need more time to gel.

Because they suck that's why.

Our second rounders SUCK. The rest suck besides Olson.

watermock
02-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Yeah I rate the whole draft as a bust besides Olsen considering here they were taken.

DBroncos4life
02-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Yeah I rate the whole draft as a bust besides Olsen.

The one guy that didn't manage to see any playing time is the only one NOT a bust in your mind!?!?!?!

Part of me would rather have Casey Hampton over Wilfolk anyways.

NFLBRONCO
02-15-2010, 02:57 PM
WTF? Quinn and Smith were both massive reaches.

Fields, Holliday and Baker were going to "teach" anybody?" aren't they supposed to hold onto their spot on the roster?

Isn't that the coaches responsibiliy, rather than the players?

And isn't the coaches resposibility anyway?

Mock,

Why do you follow the Broncos if you hate everthing they do?????. I do agree with some of your points and some moves I'm not wild about either but, damn is it that life a death for you.

Smith trade stupid
Not stockpiling more picks from last years draft to this years stupid.
I hope this years draft is better I also agree they need to do better.
I don't expect much FA movement either we really needed more picks this year.

Give this staff time and see what happens. If they don't work out we move on.

oubronco
02-15-2010, 02:58 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/15/franchise-tag-for-aubrayo-franklin/

also aubrayo franklin is gonna get tagged so if you want you could add this to the title

Franchise tag for Aubrayo Franklin

Posted by Mike Florio on February 15, 2010 4:17 PM ET

As expected, the San Francisco 49ers will use the franchise tag on nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the move is coming; the deadline is February 25. Per Schefter, the Niners are expected to work toward signing Franklin to another long-term deal.

He arrived in San Fran from Baltimore via free agency in 2007, reuniting with former 49ers coach Mike Nolan, who previously coordinated the Ravens' defense. Franklin has developed into one of the best defensive tackles in the game, and the market for his services would be much greater this time around.

As Schefter points out, Franklin is one of three nose tackles who are expected to be slapped with the franchise tag -- the others are Vince Wilfork of the Patriots and Casey Hampton of the Steelers.

Pony Boy
02-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Wilfork among UFAs who could be 'franchised'
Dumervil possible also

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/02/14/wilfork-among-ufas-who-could-be-franchised

With free agency around the corner — and the very real prospect of the 2010 league year beginning without a salary cap — this edition of the NFList takes a closer look at players who could receive the franchise or transition tag.

Free agents can receive either the so-called "exclusive" or "non-exclusive" franchise tags. A free agent receiving the "non-exclusive" tag must be tendered a one-year contract that is the greater of (1) 120 percent of his previous year's salary or (2) the average of the top five salaries at the position at which he played the most games in the previous league year. Also, the free agent receiving the tag can negotiate with other teams, but his team can match an offer from another club; should it decline, it will receive two first-round picks as compensation.

The "exclusive" tag bars a free agent from negotiating with other teams. It guarantees a free agent a one-year contract the greater of (1) the average of the top five salaries at his position as of the end of restricted free agency in 2010 or (2) either of the criteria listed above for a non-exclusive tag.

In a year with a salary cap, teams can exercise one franchise or one transition tag, the latter of which also requires a one-year tender offer but at a lower salary than a franchise player. A player who receives the transition tag can sign an offer sheet elsewhere, but his current team has the right of first refusal.

However, in an uncapped year, teams can use an additional transition tag. Most importantly, an uncapped year would require players to have six accrued seasons to become unrestricted free agents, a development that would reduce the number of players who could garner the franchise tag.

Here are the franchise and transition numbers for each position, along with a list of players who could receive the franchise or transition tag as determined by the PFW staff. Players who would be restricted free agents in an uncapped year but unrestricted free agents in a capped year are denoted with an asterisk. (Positions are listed in descending order from highest franchise tender to lowest):

QUARTERBACK

Tenders: $16.405 million (franchise); $14.546 million (transition).
Franchise-tag candidates: None. Teams usually lock up promising QBs early.

DEFENSIVE END

Tenders: $12.398 million; $10.193 million.
Franchise-tag candidate: Raiders DE Richard Seymour. Oakland traded a first-round draft pick for Seymour and doesn't want to lose him after one season.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Tenders: $10.731 million; $9.142 million.
Franchise-tag candidates: Steelers OT Willie Colon*, Saints OG Jahri Evans*, ­Chargers OT Marcus McNeill.*
Skinny: Young tackles are at a premium.

LINEBACKER

Tenders: $9.680 million; $8.373 million.
Franchise-tag candidates: Colts MLB Gary Brackett, Broncos OLB Elvis Dumervil*, Chargers OLB Shawne Merriman*, ­Buccaneers MLB Barrett Ruud*, Texans ­ MLB DeMeco Ryans*.
Skinny: In a capped year, the market for LBs would be robust.

CORNERBACK

Tenders: $9.566 million; $8.056 million.
Franchise-tag candidate: Texans CB Dunta Robinson. Robinson received the franchise tag last year and could get it again in an uncapped year.

WIDE RECEIVER

Tenders: $9.521 million; $8.651 million.
Franchise-tag candidates: Chargers WR Vincent Jackson*, Broncos WR Brandon Marshall.*
Skinny: Both are No. 1-caliber receivers.

RUNNING BACK

Tenders: $8.156 million; $7.151 million.
Franchise-tag candidates: None. Teams seeking starting RBs will have to look hardest in the draft, not free agency.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

Tenders: $7.003 million; $6.353 million.
Franchise-tag candidates: Titans DT Tony Brown*, Steelers NT Casey Hampton, 49ers NT Aubrayo Franklin, Patriots NT Vince Wilfork.
Skinny: Wilfork is one of the NFL's top interior linemen. Hampton and Franklin could be coveted by teams employing the 3-4.

SAFETY

Tenders: $6.455 million; $6.011 million.
Franchise-tag candidates: Rams S O.J. Atogwe*, Colts S Antoine Bethea*, Packers S Nick Collins*.
Skinny: All three safeties are ballhawks.

TIGHT END

Tenders: $5.908 million; $5.248 million.
Franchise-tag candidate: Texans TE Owen Daniels*. He comes off a season-ending knee injury but is a force when healthy.

PUNTER/PLACEKICKER

Tenders: $2.814 million; $2.629 million.
Franchise-tag candidates: Falcons P Michael Koenen*, Raiders PK Sebastian Janikowski, Steelers PK Jeff Reed.
Skinny: The low franchise number makes using the tag attractive to some clubs.

Broncos_OTM
02-15-2010, 03:21 PM

no offense but Vrabel and cassel for a second is a steal for the patiorts.

I have a question for you guys would you trade Doom and a 3 for wilfork?

Tombstone RJ
02-15-2010, 03:58 PM
franchise doom and bmarsh. Fuggit.

TonyR
02-15-2010, 04:13 PM
no offense but Vrabel and cassel for a second is a steal for the patiorts.

In hindsight maybe. But at the time there were several teams in the market for a starting QB, as there is almost every offseason, and Cassel looked promising.

ColoradoDarin
02-15-2010, 05:31 PM
This is one area I wish McD would copy from Billy is stockpiling picks to help rebuild process.

He might one day, but you have to build the contender first, THEN you can stockpile picks later on to reload when you start slipping. The Pats are perfectly positioned to completely rebuild their defense this year in the draft, but they have been setting that up for years all the while contending for playoffs/Superbowls.

azbroncfan
02-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Mock,

Why do you follow the Broncos if you hate everthing they do?????. I do agree with some of your points and some moves I'm not wild about either but, damn is it that life a death for you.

Smith trade stupid
Not stockpiling more picks from last years draft to this years stupid.
I hope this years draft is better I also agree they need to do better.
I don't expect much FA movement either we really needed more picks this year.

Give this staff time and see what happens. If they don't work out we move on.

Don't worry he likes the Vikings too.

Elway777
02-15-2010, 11:52 PM
If the Broncos trade Marshall for draft picks like then I would use what even \first round pick we get from Marshall and trade for Wilfork.Then Broncos could use 11 pick on either Bradford or Dez Bryant.

Hamrob
02-16-2010, 09:26 AM
We could always trade Marshall for a late first and perhaps a 4th or 5th rounder...and then trade that first to K.C. for Cassell.

What do you think?

Beantown Bronco
02-16-2010, 09:32 AM
WEEI pointed out this morning that every time the Patriots have used the franchise tag, they have traded that player.

Damn, I wish I caught that one. If that is what they said, then they blew it.

Vinatieri played his final season in NE with the franchise tag. Then, they let him go as an unrestricted FA the following year. He was not traded to the Colts.