PDA

View Full Version : OT- Gimp Photo Software

brncs_fan
02-15-2010, 10:43 AM
I am looking for some photo editing software. Since our district is looking at some budget concerns next year I am trying to do as much as possible with as little as possible.

I came across gimp and wanted to know if anyone had tried it and what some of its ups and downs were.

Rabb
02-15-2010, 10:45 AM
I use it, I like it...once you get used to the interface it can do about anything Photoshop can do

dbfan21
02-15-2010, 10:55 AM
I haven't used it but my wife has used it for a couple years and likes it very much. She basically taught herself how to use the program so it must be pretty user-friendly.

theAPAOps5
02-15-2010, 12:08 PM
I have dabbled with it and it does a great job for freeware. Since its open source (I am not 100% sure on this) you get the benefit of finding add-ons and modules that people have made to do certain tasks. There is lots of support on it too so I say download it play with it and see what you think for yourself. Its great when it doesn't cost a thing!

snowspot66
02-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Depending on what your looking to use it for (I'm assuming school/teaching?) you might just try to contact the people at adobe and see if they can get you a deal.

TDmvp
02-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Yup it's basically just as good as photoshop if not better because it's open source.

Wes Mantooth
02-15-2010, 02:07 PM
like it, love it, get it.

sisterhellfyre
02-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I came across gimp and wanted to know if anyone had tried it and what some of its ups and downs were.

If you're used to working with Photoshop, there's also a skin available for GIMP that makes it look and feel just like Photoshop. I'm a long time user of Paint Shop Pro, so I'm still learning my way around GIMP, but it is pretty impressive and fully capable.

prunch
02-15-2010, 04:08 PM
If you dont need the complicated photoshop experience but something with "just enough" ... I recommend paint.net (http://www.getpaint.net/download.html) .... top notch

brncs_fan
02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
If you're used to working with Photoshop, there's also a skin available for GIMP that makes it look and feel just like Photoshop. I'm a long time user of Paint Shop Pro, so I'm still learning my way around GIMP, but it is pretty impressive and fully capable.

I used PSP a lot back in the day and it seems to have some of the same features. I played around with it for a few minutes today and realized I need to spend some time really getting to know all the parts.

Drek
02-15-2010, 05:30 PM
If you dont need the complicated photoshop experience but something with "just enough" ... I recommend paint.net (http://www.getpaint.net/download.html) .... top notch

This is a good recommendation.

If you need functionality on par with Photoshop and are willing to deal with a less than ideal user interface and add ons needed to fully get results then go with GIMP.

If instead you want an easy user interface that still gives good power then go with Paint.NET.