PDA

View Full Version : OT: Videogame meet movie - Movie meet videogame

Chris
02-13-2010, 04:30 PM
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/heavyrain

Heavy Rain (a PS3 exclusive) is getting great reviews. Comes out at the end of the month.

NFLBRONCO
02-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Already have it preordered.

Doggcow
02-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Looks terrible

Pontius Pirate
02-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Pass

SportinOne
02-14-2010, 08:11 AM
...the hunt is on for a murderer known only as the Origami Killer - named after his macabre calling card of leaving behind folded paper shapes at crime scenes.

Well, duh. It's Michael Scofield.

misturanderson
02-14-2010, 10:19 AM
It looks interesting for sure, especially if you were ever a fan of the point and click adventure games from back in the mid to early 90s (sierra and lucas arts made most of the good ones). I don't have a PS3, but if I did I'd probably buy it after the price went down.

It certainly has the potential to be a good game. I've heard that it gets a little too repetitious if you want to see the different endings though.

Jesterhole
02-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Played it. What an f-ing joke. Horrible, and I mean HORRIBLE controls, and lame ass quick time events tied together with incoherent story.

Can't knock them for trying...but games are meant to be entertaining...and this crap ain't.

Archer81
02-14-2010, 10:57 AM
How did you play it if its not released until the 23rd of February?

:Broncos:

misturanderson
02-14-2010, 11:33 AM
How did you play it if its not released until the 23rd of February?

They released a demo a few weeks back.

I'm under the impression that it's just the very beginning of the game and that it is not very representative of the whole experience because it is too early in the story to become especially engrossing.

NFLBRONCO
02-14-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm figuring it will be like Still Life.

Archer81
02-14-2010, 12:42 PM

I'm under the impression that it's just the very beginning of the game and that it is not very representative of the whole experience because it is too early in the story to become especially engrossing.

A demo? They did the same for GOWIII. Lots of glitches. I am not sure about Heavy Rain, but from what I have heard it will "change the way games are made"

Broncosfreak_56
02-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Mass Effect 2 already came out. :D

Chris
02-14-2010, 05:34 PM

The reviews have said the beginning is very slow and once you get past it the story never let's up

I'm not sure you can call this a game - interactive entertainment maybe

Los Broncos
02-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Tom Clancy Conviction looks awesome.

http://splintercell.us.ubi.com/conviction/#/home/6909/

Blart
02-14-2010, 10:37 PM
I will take on anyone here at Heavy Rain, 1 v 1

Archer81
02-14-2010, 10:40 PM
I bought Dante's Inferno. I believe I will be going back to church. I was attacked by half naked demon sluts that used their UTERUS as weapons...

Br0nc0Buster
02-14-2010, 11:12 PM
I bought Dante's Inferno. I believe I will be going back to church. I was attacked by half naked demon sluts that used their UTERUS as weapons...

that old chestnut

Bronco X
02-15-2010, 12:06 AM
The reviews have said the beginning is very slow and once you get past it the story never let's up

I'm not sure you can call this a game - interactive entertainment maybe

Here's a video review which says the same thing:
http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/811232/quantic-dream-project/videos/heavyrain_vdr_020910.html

The previous game from the guy who made this, Indigo Prophecy, was great (well, at least the first two thirds was). It sounds like they took everything that was great about that game and push it even further. I don't even have a PS3 but I almost want to get one just for this game.

NFLBRONCO
02-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Here's a video review which says the same thing:
http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/811232/quantic-dream-project/videos/heavyrain_vdr_020910.html

The previous game from the guy who made this, Indigo Prophecy, was great (well, at least the first two thirds was). It sounds like they took everything that was great about that game and push it even further. I don't even have a PS3 but I almost want to get one just for this game.

Yeah this is how I found out about this game I asked about other games like Indigo Prophecy. I have only played the beginning of IP I'll need to play it again.

NFLBRONCO
02-23-2010, 02:33 PM
just started Heavy Rain its different but, need to play awhile to see how it is. Might be one of those games that start off slow.

Chris
02-27-2010, 01:22 PM
So who picked it up?

I'm almost done (apparently). The game started very slow but I'm absolutely loving it. Loving it.

Archer81
02-27-2010, 01:24 PM
So who picked it up?

I'm almost done (apparently). The game started very slow but I'm absolutely loving it. Loving it.

I was waiting to hear how the game went before I go out and buy it. If its good, I'll put it on the list. Of course, with GOW III coming out in a few weeks, Heavy Rain might have to wait.

At the moment I am playing Dante's Inferno and Bayonetta and Borderlands.

UberBroncoMan
02-27-2010, 01:26 PM
This game has complete **** for voice acting. When the entire point of the game is the story, trash voice acting really hurts it.

Lets not forget that demo too where the kid gets away during the balloon part. It made no ****ing sense.

Just stupid **** that could easily be avoidable by any rational human.

The game is a cool premise and is actually the 3rd of its type from the same designer/company (the other two just didn't get the same amount of press).

Kaylore
02-27-2010, 01:38 PM

LOL Yeah Penny Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/) summed that game up pretty well:
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8960/pennyz.jpg

Killericon
02-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Metal Gear Solid 4 has the cinematic aspect of gaming all taken care of.

Doggcow
02-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Metal Gear Solid 4 has the cinematic aspect of gaming all taken care of.

MGS4 was a ****ing 18 hour movie with a half hour of gameplay thrown in here and there...

Story sucked too.

First 2, awesome, last 2........ mediocre at best.

Killericon
02-27-2010, 04:28 PM
MGS4 was a ****ing 18 hour movie with a half hour of gameplay thrown in here and there...

Story sucked too.

MGS4 was, in my estimation, a game made solely for hardcore fans of the series. Anyways, if you wanna see cinematic gaming, it's hard to argue with this:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VLtZOYrDWNE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VLtZOYrDWNE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Kaylore
02-27-2010, 04:48 PM
As a non-PS3 owner but MG fan going back to ninetendo, may I ask what happens after this scene?

extralife
02-27-2010, 04:51 PM
the game somehow continues for another two hours and I don't think even Hideo Kojima could properly answer your question

(purposefully staying away from the meat of this thread oh god)

Killericon
02-27-2010, 05:07 PM
As a non-PS3 owner but MG fan going back to ninetendo, may I ask what happens after this scene?

I'm typing in white, highlight to read:

So, you make it through the hallway to the AI cores, Solid Snake uploads the virus into the AI system, destroying the Patriot-Run war economy. He's nearly dead, and Otacon shows up and says he'll go get help. You pass out and wake up on the top of Outer Haven(Liquid Ocelot's ship) and Liquid gives you a giant speech, filling you in on a lot of the blanks. You two proceed to fight in a FANTASTIC fight scene. You beat Liquid. Some stuff happens in the epilouge. Snake goes to the grave of Big Boss to kill himself, but doesn't, at which point Big Boss shows up. The body that they burned was actually Solidus'. Big Boss explains a lot. From Wikipedia: The Patriots were originally an interpretation of The Boss' will, founded by Major Zero, EVA, Ocelot, Sigint, Para-Medic, and Big Boss himself. With increasing power, two rival factions arose within the Patriots' ranks, Zero's who stood for complete control, and Big Boss', who dreamed of a soldier's world. Eva and Ocelot joined Big Boss in his cause. Over the years, Zero let the newly established AI network assume more and more control, eventually leading to dependence on the war economy, a vision far from The Boss' original will. Big Boss puts an end to the last remnant of this false vision by shutting down Zero's life support unit thus killing Zero. Big Boss informs Snake that Drebin's injection included a new strain of FOXDIE, programmed by the Patriot AIs to kill the rival Patriot faction and eradicate the old versions of FOXDIE. Thus, Snake has no risk of becoming a biological weapon, at least before his own death. Big Boss succumbs to FOXDIE, but not before he makes amends with Snake. When all is settled, Snake decides to live out his life peacefully, in the company of Otacon and Sunny, and vows to see this new age off.

Anyways, it's bat**** complicated, but there's some wonderful stuff in there.

Natedog24
02-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Definitely not for everyone but wow Heavy Rain was an amazing ride. Controls did annoy me in a few spots but the story was definitely worth it.

Killericon
02-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Definitely not for everyone but wow Heavy Rain was an amazing ride. Controls did annoy me in a few spots but the story was definitely worth it.

Nice Avatar. There's some thoroughly entertaining stuff in ME2.

The feel seems to remind me of Max Payne...Is that kind of accurate?

TheChamp24
02-28-2010, 07:48 AM

Story sucked too.

MGS4 was awesome, but of course I'm a huge MGS fan so I loved it. And those cutscenes, those were freakin awesome. I don't know how you could not love those cutscenes.

Sidenote, i just played a couple demo's:
God of War 3 - can't freakin wait for this
Darksiders - horrible controls, going to pass on this
Batman Arkam Asylum - freakin awesome, going to have to get this.

Chris
02-28-2010, 09:33 AM
What a rollercoaster ride. I know someone who has got 10 endings already. I recommend this guys and after you're done you van always trade it back in.

Archer81
02-28-2010, 12:19 PM

A racist sherrif and a pawn store owner find him, put him in a gimp suit and he is not seen until later...

Chris
02-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Bad Company 2 on Tuesday is my next purchase

Doggcow
02-28-2010, 03:49 PM
What a rollercoaster ride. I know someone who has got 10 endings already. I recommend this guys and after you're done you van always trade it back in.

So it's a rental lol

I only buy multiplayer games as I get massive amounts of entertainment hours out of them.

Chris
02-28-2010, 04:07 PM
The game is worth owning absolutely. I'm just trying to persuade people to pick it up since it's a big departure for a lot of gamers. Personally i'm **** broke but I can't persuade myself to turn this in. Gotta try more endings. Gotta get my gf to play it on easy.

UberBroncoMan
02-28-2010, 05:08 PM
The game is worth owning absolutely. I'm just trying to persuade people to pick it up since it's a big departure for a lot of gamers. Personally i'm **** broke but I can't persuade myself to turn this in. Gotta try more endings. Gotta get my gf to play it on easy.

To be honest you can save $55-$60 by just watching a walkthrough on YouTube.

If $60 is worth a few different dialog options and button smashing then /shrug.

This isn't a game. It's an interactive movie. Nothing more and nothing less.

Chris
02-28-2010, 05:22 PM
I don't think it's fair to judge something based on a few videos. Play the game. There are weaknesses to the core control setup but it also allows the game to do a lot of things and focus on story elements that haven't been touched in games to this point.

DBruleU
02-28-2010, 05:44 PM
To be honest you can save $55-$60 by just watching a walkthrough on YouTube.

If $60 is worth a few different dialog options and button smashing then /shrug.

This isn't a game. It's an interactive movie. Nothing more and nothing less.

That's exactly what I have been watching. I watched some guy play the whole thing on JTV and saved $60.

This game isn't worth a purchase to me. BFBC2 is for sure.

OABB
02-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Just finished it... Highly recomend it. I haven't been mode involved or scared or sad from a game. Anyone that would put it down before even playing it is a moron. Excellent experience and the controls are fine IMO

extralife
02-28-2010, 06:10 PM
game is ****, learn to read a book

Chris
03-01-2010, 10:45 AM
New York Times Review

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/27/arts/television/27heavy.html?scp=1&sq=Heavy%20Rain&st=cse

Murderer’s Young Prey; A Father’s Torment

The big storm has been raging for days. The winds around the eaves make me lonely, melancholy, and yet my guilt forces me forward in search of redemption.

I have probably spent 10,000 hours playing various sorts of electronic games. But no single-player experience has made me as genuinely nervous, unsettled, surprised, emotionally riven and altogether involved as Heavy Rain, a noir murder mystery inspired by film masters like Hitchcock, Kubrick and David Lynch.

Heavy Rain, developed by Quantic Dream in Paris and released this week by Sony for the PlayStation 3, is a brilliantly engaging example of nonlinear storytelling, one that unfolds all around you as a direct, if often obscured and subtle, result of the choices you make and don’t make. Unlike most games, it offers no way to lose, per se. And depending on your point of view, there may be no way to win, either.

In terms of eye-hand coordination or “gamer skills,” Heavy Rain is negligible, even trivial, in its challenge, which will offend twitch fiends. Yet this is no simplistic Choose Your Own Adventure for children. This is a wrenching, often disturbing, almost entirely gripping experience for grown-ups. The easy, intuitive controls should make it accessible to what ought to be Heavy Rain’s audience: adults who want a glimpse of the future of interactive entertainment, a future when characterization, writing and emotional connection are more important than combat mechanics.

Heavy Rain is one of the few games set in an approximation of the real world. The game takes place among the gray mists of a nasty, wet, sodden autumn in the rundown industrial precincts of Philadelphia. (The game doesn’t explicitly reveal the name of the city, but the clues and resemblance are clear.) The Origami Killer has been abducting young boys, who are then found dead, drowned in rainwater.

This story is told through the perspectives of four people: an F.B.I. agent, a journalist, a private investigator and, most important, a parent. Ethan Mars is the happy father of a perfect family, with a beautiful wife and two beatific young sons.

Of course, there would be no game if things stayed perfect. In fact, things go very wrong for Ethan, and Heavy Rain becomes the story of his journey — and yours — to rescue what little he can of his life.

The four main characters that the player controls are the keepers of secrets and demons within their own lives. What exactly happens to them, even whether each lives or dies, is up to you. Heavy Rain was built around a 2,000-page script written by its main creator, David Cage, but as a player you experience only that part of the script that is relevant, as a result of your actions over the roughly 10-hour narrative.

The voice acting itself is uneven. Taken in isolation, the voice performances can sound stilted at times, perhaps because English is not the first language for some of the actors. But the motion-capture work and facial animations are expressive, detailed and impressively emotive. The music and sounds, too, are incredibly important in creating the chilling sense of dread and foreboding that is Heavy Rain’s stock in trade.

The overall presentation draws heavily, even reverentially, from the visual and storytelling vernacular of film. Mr. Cage has clearly gleaned from movies like “Rear Window,” “Eyes Wide Shut” and “Blue Velvet” that a major part of creating intimacy lies in cinematography. Many third-person games (where you see your character on screen rather than inhabiting it from a first-person perspective) are shot from a sort of top-down angle. That view gives the player a more tactical sense of the environment but often does not create a strong sense of immediacy.

Most of Heavy Rain, by contrast, is portrayed from virtual cameras at ground level, at the same height as the characters or even below them. As in most films, you can never quite see an entire room at once, and so you are never quite sure in what direction the action will unfold. And as in films, there are a lot of moving-camera shots from behind in which the player is never quite sure whether the camera is supposed to represent someone skulking or stalking.

There are even moments when the game just lets you rest, as when Ethan sits hunched and morose on the balcony of his seedy motel room, staring off into the rain, conflict and pain drawn all over his body.

In its exploration of the psychology of the sociopath, Heavy Rain owes more than a bit to novelists like Thomas Harris (“The Silence of the Lambs” and “Hannibal”). Perhaps the most interesting element of the story is that the emotional weight of Heavy Rain is almost entirely bound up in Ethan’s sense of responsibility for his sons. For the player, the game hangs on your concern for children. Within Heavy Rain’s considerably bleak landscape, there is even a moving scene in which all you do is change an infant’s diaper, feed her and put her to bed.

These are not the concerns of a stoned slacker in some basement somewhere. And they are not the concerns of children themselves. Mr. Cage has said that Heavy Rain’s story is largely inspired by his own experience as a parent and by his own fears for his children. As both game makers and game players move into middle age and beyond, this is the kind of depth you can hopefully come to expect more often.

No other game in recent memory has forced me to reach for a blanket at 11 a.m. because I am literally shivering in nervous tension. And no single-player game has made me feel as profoundly connected to the outcome of a story I cared about. Mr. Cage and Quantic Dream have put the world on notice that the future of video games may be closer than we thought.

UberBroncoMan
03-01-2010, 04:16 PM
New York Times Review

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/27/arts/television/27heavy.html?scp=1&sq=Heavy%20Rain&st=cse

Again... the reviewer is an idiot. This isn't a new type of game. "Mr. Cage and Quantic Dream" have done two other murder solving games like this already called Fahrenheit and Omikron: The Nomad Soul. With Fahrenheit being closer to this style of play.

Moving scene with the baby? The character you control is making a joke and light of the situation. It wasn't moving at all.

This is nothing but an interactive movie.

Also, not going to spoil who the killer is... but I found the ending, including who the killer was to be quite retarded. They lead up well but, and while the reasoning behind what was going on made some sense, the reason why it was happening at all was absolute horse ****.

Overall it was a well built and well written story. But again. It's not a game.

There is no actual control in this "game" outside of hitting glowing buttons and dialog at the right time.

Interactive movie = Cinematic game, w/e.

Chris
03-01-2010, 05:25 PM
There is some real decision making in there, particularly in the second half of the game. Stuff that not only affects what you see in that scene but also has bigger ramifications for the ending of the game. I wish we could grey out the spoilers on here.

TheManeMan
03-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Again... the reviewer is an idiot. This isn't a new type of game. "Mr. Cage and Quantic Dream" have done two other murder solving games like this already called Fahrenheit and Omikron: The Nomad Soul. With Fahrenheit being closer to this style of play.

Moving scene with the baby? The character you control is making a joke and light of the situation. It wasn't moving at all.

This is nothing but an interactive movie.

Also, not going to spoil who the killer is... but I found the ending, including who the killer was to be quite retarded. They lead up well but, and while the reasoning behind what was going on made some sense, the reason why it was happening at all was absolute horse ****.

Overall it was a well built and well written story. But again. It's not a game.

There is no actual control in this "game" outside of hitting glowing buttons and dialog at the right time.

Interactive movie = Cinematic game, w/e.

dude...calm down, you're acting like you created a game to rival Heavy Rain and that their sales are knocking the socks off of your game...

Believe it or not...There are people in this world that do enjoy games outside of the 1st person shooter games that seem to come out every single week with a different title. It's something different...and if you feel that watching a youtube video of the walkthrough is a good way to gauge gameplay, then I feel sorry for you...

I read the entire thread...its a very enjoyable game...and as the hater above me posted, it is a interactive movie basically...I've played for a bit only (3-4 hours)but, i'm totally interested on how the story transpires...

Archer81
03-02-2010, 03:19 PM
dude...calm down, you're acting like you created a game to rival Heavy Rain and that their sales are knocking the socks off of your game...

Believe it or not...There are people in this world that do enjoy games outside of the 1st person shooter games that seem to come out every single week with a different title. It's something different...and if you feel that watching a youtube video of the walkthrough is a good way to gauge gameplay, then I feel sorry for you...

I read the entire thread...its a very enjoyable game...and as the hater above me posted, it is a interactive movie basically...I've played for a bit only (3-4 hours)but, i'm totally interested on how the story transpires...

I blame Halo for this. I seriously HATE that series.

NFLBRONCO
03-02-2010, 03:27 PM
I blame Halo for this. I seriously HATE that series.

No doubt what is fun about shooting shooting no real gameplay. Left4dead was the same.

Archer81
03-02-2010, 03:30 PM
No doubt what is fun about shooting shooting no real gameplay. Left4dead was the same.

I loved Goldeneye for N64, it was actually fun. Alot of these shooters out now...they kind of suck.

TheManeMan
03-02-2010, 04:09 PM
I loved Goldeneye for N64, it was actually fun. Alot of these shooters out now...they kind of suck.

I wouldn't say they suck but, the entire genre has been beat to death...For me personally, its hard to sit there and play the same type of game only to use various types of weapons shooting at aliens/monsters/humans...its all the same...i'm totally over it and dont find it challenging anymore...

Killericon
03-02-2010, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't say they suck but, the entire genre has been beat to death...For me personally, its hard to sit there and play the same type of game only to use various types of weapons shooting at aliens/monsters/humans...its all the same...i'm totally over it and dont find it challenging anymore...

There's still originality out there, but people don't want it.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NpD6pkA83k8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NpD6pkA83k8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Hercules Rockefeller
03-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Bad Company 2 on Tuesday is my next purchase

FFXIII and GoW III

Archer81
03-02-2010, 07:56 PM
FFXIII and GoW III

This.

I really can't wait for GOWIII.

Killericon
03-02-2010, 08:03 PM
FFXIII and GoW III

http://i.neoseeker.com/p/Games/Xbox_360/Action/Shooter/red_dead_redemption_image_9wndxtqITgFucAf.jpg

Archer81
03-02-2010, 08:14 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gm88Blmlwjk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gm88Blmlwjk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

gyldenlove
03-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Fallout 3: Las Vegas

TheChamp24
03-03-2010, 07:01 AM
I don't really like shooter games either, glad others are with me on that. It gets boring after awhile.

Anyways, I just got a couple games.
Dragon Age - Origins: This game seems exactly like Oblivion, which was fun, but I was hoping for something different. Don't really see myself playing it a whole lot in the future.

Batman: Arkham Asylum: This game is freakin awesome IMO and only $50 brand spankin new right now. Get it, you will enjoy it.

Side note: TOO MANY GOOD GAMES COMING OUT

God of War 3, Final Fantasy XIII, MLB 10 the Show, White Knight Chronicles, a lot of games that I want to get my hands on.

UberBroncoMan
03-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Fallout 3: Las Vegas

That and Alpha Protocol are going to kick ass based on initial impressions. Both by Obsidian Entertainment too.

Think of Obsidian as a lesser and younger version of BioWare. We got Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 within a few months of each other and now we'll get those two games from Obsidian.

It's turning out to be an awesome year period to be a story driven North American RPG fan.

Doggcow
04-03-2010, 08:44 PM
This.

I really can't wait for GOWIII.

I didn't even really play GOW3, returned it after a few days, just had no desire to keep playing it.

I just rented Heavy Rain, and so far, it seems like they took all the ****ty, boring monotonous parts of life, and stuck them back into video games. Seriously, why the **** would I want to brush my teeth in a god damn video game?

Chris
04-03-2010, 08:47 PM
I didn't even really play GOW3, returned it after a few days, just had no desire to keep playing it.

I just rented Heavy Rain, and so far, it seems like they took all the ****ty, boring monotonous parts of life, and stuck them back into video games. Seriously, why the **** would I want to brush my teeth in a god damn video game?

The first two hours suck then it picks up in a BIG way.

Archer81
04-03-2010, 08:54 PM

It sucks you did not get into GOWIII. I liked it, and have beaten it. Thats my type of game. God of War series, InFamous, Dante's Inferno, Devil May Cry series, Bayonetta. Fallout and Borderlands and Fable II are the next tier down for me.

The more I read about Heavy Rain, less inclined I am to get it. I understand that the mundane moments trigger a decision or lead to a certain series of events, but that is way too vague for me. Its a philisophical point...in my opionion, brushing your teeth should not lead to someone getting murdered, or the character dying. Its like telling me a butterfly in China flapped its wings one day and a hurricane devestates Cuba. There is no connection there for me.

Doggcow
04-03-2010, 09:13 PM
It sucks you did not get into GOWIII. I liked it, and have beaten it. Thats my type of game. God of War series, InFamous, Dante's Inferno, Devil May Cry series, Bayonetta. Fallout and Borderlands and Fable II are the next tier down for me.

The more I read about Heavy Rain, less inclined I am to get it. I understand that the mundane moments trigger a decision or lead to a certain series of events, but that is way too vague for me. Its a philisophical point...in my opionion, brushing your teeth should not lead to someone getting murdered, or the character dying. Its like telling me a butterfly in China flapped its wings one day and a hurricane devestates Cuba. There is no connection there for me.

The story in GOW is so cookie cutter and predictable, along with the battle system. It's not entertaining, or even remotely difficult (I was playing it on the hardest difficulty).

Chris
04-03-2010, 09:23 PM
GOW games are teenage power fantasies. If you're not into that (IMO great because there are way too many games out there with beefy killers and weak stories) fair enough.

Doggcow
04-03-2010, 09:54 PM
The first two hours suck then it picks up in a BIG way.

Do I really have to choke down 2 hours of this? I'm about to take it back...

Is the story stellar? E.g. Mass Effect/Dragon Age of recent memory?

The controls seem so awkward also....

Broncosfreak_56
04-03-2010, 11:55 PM

The story gets really good. The first two hours are a good lead up to the main story. It sets the tone well. I agree with you on the walking controls, though there are so many camera shifts as you walk, it would be kind of hard to walk like in most video games. And the action sequences will get your heart beating as fast as any shooter or action game.

UberBroncoMan
04-04-2010, 12:18 AM

This hater knows more about games than you could fathom.

Where do I ramble about how awesome FPS games are, let alone it was my favorite? I enjoy a good FPS and all, but RPG's are my favorite. Hell I still like SNES games like Super Metroid etc.

Lecturing me on "something different" and gauges on gameplay is hilarious. Especially when you agree it is in fact an interactive movie and quote me where I gave examples of two other "games" that are just like this one.

Playing a game numerous times on a linear path just to get a few cut scenes isn't the mark of an amazing game.

The biggest claim you could make for Heavy Rain (besides button smashing and quick response hits) is that it has SOME puzzle elements. That's about it.

Like I said, it's a fun thing to watch through once, and maybe hit up a few of the endings as well. If you want to pop $60 you can DECIDE how your playthrough goes, all the power to you.

UberBroncoMan
04-04-2010, 12:23 AM

The walking controls blow. No idea what they were smoking with that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/moeshiznit

Watch the Heavy Rain playthrough if you give up. It's hilarious with the dudes who are playing it.

broncolife
06-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Just got done playing Heavy Rain. I was pleasantly surprised by the T&A.