PDA

View Full Version : Penalties you'd like to see

Jesterhole
02-12-2010, 10:10 AM
So no one gets excited by rules, but there is one thing I'd like to get turned into a penalty. Let's call it 'Begging for a flag'...that stupid motion that every receiver always makes any time they don't catch a ball. Basically, you shouldn't be able to try and intimidate a ref, or beg him to make a call, with body language or whatever after a play has happened.

I get so sick and tired of players appealing to the ref the instant a play is over with, hoping the official makes the play for them. Just like the 'throat slash', they need make begging for a flag a penalty.

Anyone agree?

ColoradoDarin
02-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Absolutely. Call it Brady Rule 2.0 or the WR rule.

Archer81
02-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Make defensive pass interference the same as offensive pass interference. Ten yards, thats it.

:Broncos:

Meck77
02-12-2010, 10:23 AM
I'd like to see a lot less penalties not more.

Dedhed
02-12-2010, 10:24 AM
I like seeing spearing on Brady. I'd never get sick of seeing that.

SonOfLe-loLang
I'd still like to see penalty yardage fully enforced when youre backed up against the goal line. If youre on your own one and get a personal foul (on a 1st and ten for example), i believe you should need to get to the 25 yard line for a first down.

Now, i havent really thought this through, so im sure there's a reason why it can'thappen.

Bronco Boy
They need to do something about holding. Either call it more or don't call it at all. There is really holding on every play, if you watch carefully.

Cosmo
02-12-2010, 10:27 AM
I'd like to see pick plays get called. Indy got away with it all year long.

Archer81
02-12-2010, 10:29 AM
I'd like to see pick plays get called. Indy got away with it all year long.

That would undermine the pro-Manning offensive rules put in place by the league! Why that's...

http://tinyurl.com/8w4kwg

~Crash~
02-12-2010, 10:35 AM
I say we get rid of 90 of rules . rules I hate.

CB's not be able to bump more than 5 yards. real football is contact and the thing is I hate all the interpret rules all of them ! about the only flags I don't mind is keeping players health if possible .

and holding should be allowed as long as it is not being done from behind I get sick of seeing small ass stuff like out past the shoulder pads one play then a full take down not getting called.

sisterhellfyre
02-12-2010, 10:37 AM
I get so sick and tired of players appealing to the ref the instant a play is over with, hoping the official makes the play for them. Just like the 'throat slash', they need make begging for a flag a penalty.

There's already a penalty for it, but it's never called: unsportsmanlike conduct.

~Crash~
02-12-2010, 10:37 AM
They need to do something about holding. Either call it more or don't call it at all. There is really holding on every play, if you watch carefully.

how true small stuff should not be called only take downs .

I like the running game and with the rules in place they have took away one of the fun parts of the game .

~Crash~
02-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Make defensive pass interference the same as offensive pass interference. Ten yards, thats it.

College rules would be nice .

Garcia Bronco
02-12-2010, 10:47 AM
I would like the WR rules return to the same rules as the 70's. We have all these QB's like Manning that are regarded as the best ever when the rules utterly favor their position.

missingnumber7
02-12-2010, 10:49 AM
So no one gets excited by rules, but there is one thing I'd like to get turned into a penalty. Let's call it 'Begging for a flag'...that stupid motion that every receiver always makes any time they don't catch a ball. Basically, you shouldn't be able to try and intimidate a ref, or beg him to make a call, with body language or whatever after a play has happened.

Anyone agree?

Rule already exists....its called Unsportsmanlike Conduct and it isn't enforced.

bronco_diesel
02-12-2010, 10:50 AM

I agree, it should only result in a 10-15 yard penalty or half the distance to the goal if inside the 10-15 yard line. Getting a huge play on a PI call is extreme...except when it favors the Broncos.

Br0nc0Buster
02-12-2010, 10:59 AM
I also would like to see the pass interference rule be like how it is in college

It is stupid to see them throw a flag when two guys get tangled up 60 yards down the field

missingnumber7
02-12-2010, 10:59 AM
I also would like to see the pass interference rule be like how it is in college

It is stupid to see them throw a flag when two guys get tangled up 60 yards down the field

Thats pass interferance in college too...just not a spot foul.

Br0nc0Buster
02-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Thats pass interferance in college too...just not a spot foul.

yes what I meant was that its only a 15 yard max penalty, as opposed to a 60 yard foul in the NFL

chex
02-12-2010, 11:14 AM

I disagree. If Iím a DB and I get beat downfield, Iíll just mug the WR for 10 yards instead of giving up a big play. Why make it that easy?

gyldenlove
02-12-2010, 11:55 AM
I think they need to make the rules like college where penalties add. So if one team gets a holding call and the other team gets an offside, it is a net 5 yard, if there is defensive holding and defensive offside both get called and the penalties added.

Defensive pass interference should be a 10 yard, 1st down penalty and if there is also unnecesary roughness or tripping you add that penalty on top.

Illegal contact needs to be removed all together, if a reciever is impeded and he is targeted with the ball it is interference, if he is not targeted then you can call a hold if it was bad or nothing.

Offensive pass interference needs to be a loss of down penalty.

BroncoMan4ever
02-12-2010, 12:08 PM
screw that, give guys like Brady or Cutler a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct or delay of game or being a bitch, when they flop when a defender breathes on them or when they bitch and moan for a flag when it isn't needed.

the QBs acting like little girls annoy me more than the receivers.

mr007
02-12-2010, 12:32 PM
honestly I saw our receivers bitching more than almost any other teams this year. Not so sure that would work out for us.

LonghornBronco
02-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Yes, just call it delay of game... 5 yds, or if it's really bad Unsportsman like conduct 15yds. dolp!

Cosmo
02-12-2010, 12:46 PM
How about the fact that refs rarely call holding against Dumervil simply because they think its unfair to the taller guys that he is so short that they can't get low enough. So sick of watching him try to run around the Tackles with their arm around his head.

watermock
02-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Absolutetly the illegal contact rule after 5 yards WTF!

That rule is bent to 8 yards all the time.

They've been making rules favoring the offense for the past 25 years.

misturanderson
02-12-2010, 01:08 PM
I'd like to see holding become a spot foul (where the ball is when the holding occurs) or a 5 yard penalty. The way they randomly enforce it right now can create way too much of a momentum shift as a 10 yard penalty depending on when in the game they decide to enforce it. I also don't think that holding should be called as long as the blocking player's arms are inside his shoulders. That rule is one of the most subjective, inconsistent calls in the game and it gets called way too often at times that make me think that the refs are fixing the games.

TDmvp
02-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Can we start penalizing Josh a grand for every bubble screen he calls ?

Besides that I agree with Meck77 ... fewer not more.

Kyle
02-12-2010, 05:06 PM
I want to have penalties reviewable. A game being decided in the last moments by a bogus or phantom call really fries me. I don't want to add more challenges or anything. Just add penalties to the list of things you can challenge. The list of penalties you can challenge maybe could be pass interference, holding, and a couple of others.

listopencil
02-12-2010, 05:10 PM
I'd still like to see penalty yardage fully enforced when youre backed up against the goal line. If youre on your own one and get a personal foul (on a 1st and ten for example), i believe you should need to get to the 25 yard line for a first down.

Now, i havent really thought this through, so im sure there's a reason why it can'thappen.

I think that's a great suggestion.

gunns
02-12-2010, 05:28 PM
I too would like to see fewer, especially the calls against the defenders on the prima donna QB's. But if there is one, for being Philip Rivers. Anything he does that isn't football play related and anytime he cries to the refs or flops, 15 yds.(well, that can apply to all QB's). That's all.

Hogan11
02-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Rule already exists....its called Unsportsmanlike Conduct and it isn't enforced.

and that's the biggest problem IMHO.......selective rule enforcement.

Either have every officiating crew agree to call it as it's written in the rule book or just get rid of it.

The MVPlaya
02-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Wait, why are people talking about how they should change the def. PI call to 10 yards instead of a spot foul like it WASN'T LIKE THIS BEFORE? PI used to be a 15 yard penalty. However the defense was taking advantage of this call and fouling receivers on deep plays if they don't they don't got a shot.

That AND the fact that it adds to the offensive game...

I think this call, and the no contact after 5 yards rule are the biggest handicapped rules in the league.... no contact after 5 yards is bull****. They need to change that to 10.

kappys
02-12-2010, 07:52 PM
I'd like to see holding become a spot foul (where the ball is when the holding occurs) or a 5 yard penalty. The way they randomly enforce it right now can create way too much of a momentum shift as a 10 yard penalty depending on when in the game they decide to enforce it. I also don't think that holding should be called as long as the blocking player's arms are inside his shoulders. That rule is one of the most subjective, inconsistent calls in the game and it gets called way too often at times that make me think that the refs are fixing the games.

Best suggestion so far IMO.

I also agree 5 yards for calling for a flag. This is football not futbol.

I would not change defensive PI though. DB's are too fast in the NFL and they would interfere whenver they're beat

tsiguy96
02-12-2010, 07:54 PM
the rules in place are perfectly fine. they need to be more accurately and consistently enforced. there needs to be a level of bend ot every rule, phantom holding calls should not happen, blatant ones should. if a DB touches a receiver 20 yards down field, big deal. if he tackles him, obviously thats illegal contact/PI.

best way to start that is to have professional referees, not part timers. and dont change PI rules, just make them more consistent and allow some bend. remember the broncos/miami game i think 2 years ago, marshalls bomb downfield? he made the DB look silly but got a phantom PI call because he touched the guy, didnt move him or shift the DBs momentum just touched him. that needs to go, they need to be blatant rule breaks in order to be called or you may be unfairly shifting momentum of the game.

KipCorrington25
02-12-2010, 08:22 PM
The Jay Cutler rule, you can't massage the testicles of the center before the snap.

Bronx33
02-12-2010, 08:29 PM
I say get rid of phantom penalties..

tsiguy96
02-12-2010, 08:39 PM
I say get rid of phantom penalties..

basically this. if i had to choose between getting rid of phantom penalties or calling more blatant infractions, the choice is obvious, phantom penalties are game changers.

BroncoMan4ever
02-13-2010, 06:02 PM
basically this. if i had to choose between getting rid of phantom penalties or calling more blatant infractions, the choice is obvious, phantom penalties are game changers.

i agree. with 1 addition. lobbying for the flag. i am sick of seeing receivers getting up calling PI because they couldn't come down with a catch, or QBs(Brady) hollering and crying for a flag because a defender breathed near them.

i think adding a penalty to that, in the form of an unsportsmanlike call, just a penalty to get these guys to toughen up.

Punisher
02-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Every time There's a False Start the cheerleaders have to show there tits

Atwater His Ass
02-13-2010, 07:51 PM
i don't like the defensive PI either. but if you make it only 10 yards, what's to stop a guy from tackling a WR that easily has him beat to prevent a TD? that's why the penalty is a spot foul.

Gort
02-13-2010, 11:21 PM
mugging for the camera after a play. i'm sick of seeing a player make a play and then start sprinting to get away from the rest of his teammates so that he can get some alone face time on TV to hop up and down or gesture to celebrate how awesome he is for doing what he gets paid to do.

personal foul. excessive douchebaggery. 15 yards.

Bronco CB40
02-14-2010, 01:23 AM
- Bring back the head slap, the horse collar and the clothes line club to the neck

- Get rid of both roughing the kicker and punter

Lolad
02-14-2010, 11:05 AM
How about the fact that refs rarely call holding against Dumervil simply because they think its unfair to the taller guys that he is so short that they can't get low enough. So sick of watching him try to run around the Tackles with their arm around his head.

The thing that I have noticed is the Tackles gripping the inside of his shoulder pads. That should be illegal

missingnumber7
02-14-2010, 03:48 PM
and that's the biggest problem IMHO.......selective rule enforcement.

Either have every officiating crew agree to call it as it's written in the rule book or just get rid of it.

Thats the same as Stokely's ejection this year, and the USC on the sideline in the Titans/Chuggers game. There is contact with officials on the field all the time especially with the umpire by LB's who don't agree with stuff. And sideline officials take abuse constantly from no name assitants and ass hats who don't get to wear jerseys during the game. Enforcement is the name of the game.

When I ref basketball i'm not afraid to pull out a T on a regular basis, its no different than calling a foul. The offender broke a rule that needs to be enforced. The head of officials needs to stop babying the players, stop going on NFLN and ripping apart his officials publically and start making a black and white blueprint for what must be called.

ZONA
02-15-2010, 02:31 AM
I would like only one certain penalty to be reviewable. Chop blocking.

I don't know how many times I've seen it called when a linemen makes an initial hit high on a defender and then lets him go and then the back steps in and cuts him down just as the defender is getting past the lineman. The refs blow this call more times then they get it right. If a lineman is "enganged" meaning two hands are on the defender, then you can't have your back cut him down. Refs should be able to tell if the lineman is continuing the block high or if he is disenguaging on the block.

nadwiggins
02-15-2010, 04:04 AM

Anyone agree?
yes its stupid, but when it wins you the game you would do it too! period.

nadwiggins
02-15-2010, 04:12 AM
yes its stupid, but when it wins you the game you would do it too! period.

It's not the players fault its come to this... same with the nba or any other sport! 1 call can change a game dependant on the call and the timing of the call. players know that and will fight for there team on there personal calls... its bs but what is a player to do untill it is changed? refs in any sport have way to much influence!!!period! when its unbias i will change my stance... untill then peace and happyneess yeah

The MVPlaya
02-15-2010, 06:51 AM
- Bring back the head slap, the horse collar and the clothes line club to the neck

- Get rid of both roughing the kicker and punter

Not sure why you would rid of roughing the kicker or punter, but it definitely should be enforced differently.

Bronco CB40
02-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Not sure why you would rid of roughing the kicker or punter, but it definitely should be enforced differently.

Because kickers and punters are pansies and they don't deserve any protection. They should be content that they get a NFL salary and a spot on a roster. They hardly put anything at risk while on the field, that's not fair to the other 51 footballers on a roster.

bombquixote
02-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Not so much a penalty I'd like to add as a rule I'd like to change.

Booth replay. Maybe I'm old school, but...Get rid of it. It destroys the flow of the game. Calls are still disputable, even when officials use it. Instead, give the coaches three replay challenges instead of two, and let the game roll.