PDA

View Full Version : Martindale Down to Business

TheReverend
02-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Having just moved up without moving out, newly-hired Broncos defensive coordinator Don Martindale, continues to settle into his new job, pouring over what the Broncos did last season to see what needs fixing and what may not.

"My plan of attack right now is the same as every defensive coordinator around the league," Martindale said today. "Evaluate what you do, evaluate what you did, the scheme, what you keep, what worked, what didn't, what you throw out. All of those things.

"It's still ongoing, we're still looking at it, but we want to be that tough, smart group."

Martindale was promoted two weeks ago from Broncos linebackers coach to be the team's fifth defensive coordinator in the past five years. And since his appointment he had a brief stop in Miami as outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil's guest at the Pro Bowl before returning to the Broncos' Dove Valley complex to get down to the business of the Broncos' defensive plan.

The Broncos finished seventh overall in yards allowed this past season, a vast improvement over their 29th place finish in 2008. But things unraveled in the team's 2-8 collapse down the stretch, particularly in run defense when five of their last nine opponents rushed for at least 173 yards and three topped the 200-yard mark.

Head coach Josh McDaniels and former defensive coordinator Mike Nolan parted ways, with Nolan leaving to become the Dolphins' defensive coordinator.

"I feel like I'm ready for this job, I want this job, and I'm going to work hard at this job," Martindale said. "I believe in myself. We're going to be better."

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14382880?source=rss#ixzz0fGQsWcOL

supermanhr9
02-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Rev you should add that pic you have for your profile to the Hot red head thread? haha

Also, this is awesome, I think "Wink" ins gonna do just fine.

Beantown Bronco
02-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Martindale was promoted two weeks ago from Broncos linebackers coach to be the team's fifth defensive coordinator in the past five years.

The Broncos' version of the Defense Against the Dark Arts teaching position.

Dagmar
02-11-2010, 02:20 PM
I just love how close this guy is to the Ryan's. I hope his defense is as close to good!

bronco militia
02-11-2010, 02:20 PM

nerd cred +1 :thumbs:

worm
02-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Retread joke cred -1.

I am surprised at you Bean.

gyldenlove
02-11-2010, 03:59 PM
I like how we have some continuity with promoting an in house candidate as opposed to bringing in someone new.

watermock
02-11-2010, 04:13 PM
You think bringing in a new DC, QB coach, RB coach and OC is continuity?

Broncomutt
02-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Given how the Skipper's first year as coach went, I'm really hoping Martindale ends up being like the guy on the right....and not....ya know.

strafen
02-11-2010, 04:33 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/thew_902/Denied_Encino_Man.gif

http://calvinandhobbes.home.sapo.pt/imgs/e_cards/laughing.gif

http://i48.tinypic.com/309r71f.gif
http://i45.tinypic.com/oho9dy.jpg

I like those irrelevant stupid pics on every single thread.
Maybe I should do this more often.
Not enough people doing it. I think I'll join the fun...

bowtown
02-11-2010, 04:35 PM

You should, it's much better than your irrelevant stupid posts in every thead.

Broncos_OTM
02-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Not enough people doing it. I think I'll join the fun...Havent you stolen enough pics and tried to pass them off as yourself already. you should be ashamed of yourself

eddie mac
02-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Wasn't Martindale a strong candidate for the Oak D-Co-ordinator last year before we nicked him away from the Raiders???

Plus it's no co-incidence either that Howard's play went to **** last year and Morrison also regressed.

TheReverend
02-11-2010, 08:09 PM
I like how we have some continuity with promoting an in house candidate as opposed to bringing in someone new.

Outside of retaining Nolan, this was probably the best possible scenario, imo

baja
02-11-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and call it! This Martindale hiring will prove to be a great hire.

DenverBrit
02-11-2010, 08:13 PM

+1

He should be consistently more aggressive than Nolan......which seems to be one of the issues on which Nolan and McD disagreed.

vancejohnson82
02-11-2010, 08:51 PM

am I gay for looking past the girl towards the sweet ass TV and speaker set-up??

or just sexually attracted to AV equipment?

baja
02-11-2010, 08:55 PM
am I gay for looking past the girl towards the sweet ass TV and speaker set-up??

Hard to say but I didn't even notice there was a TV in his avatar until I read your post if that helps.

Dagmar
02-11-2010, 08:56 PM

Wow, you did this in 2 threads? I am honored at your attention sweetie pie!

listopencil
02-11-2010, 09:02 PM

Where?

Florida_Bronco
02-11-2010, 10:30 PM
You think bringing in a new DC, QB coach, RB coach and OC is continuity?

The DC is coming from within the organization and will run the same scheme. We have the same offensive coordinator, we just gave his QB coach title to Ben McDaniels and let's be honest, Josh will basically be in charge of both positions.

strafen
02-11-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and call it! This Martindale hiring will prove to be a great hire.I think he'll do good.
I like his intensity and as an assistant he did a commendable job...

Dagmar
02-11-2010, 10:37 PM
I think he'll do good.
I like his intensity and as an assistant he did a commendable job...

And he has learned from the Ryans, which is no bad thing.

Caveat Lector
02-12-2010, 01:23 AM

Wasn't there a whole heap of these exact same comments when Slowik was hired?

Florida_Bronco
02-12-2010, 01:43 AM

Not really, considering that Slowik had a completely different system than Bates did.

Kaylore
02-12-2010, 02:02 AM

Hey! Joke thief!

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2734139#post2734139

bowtown
02-12-2010, 05:12 AM

You're right, he's Bob Slowik. It's exactly the same situation and will certainly be the same results. No sense in hoping for the best or getting excited. He's def Bob Slowik.

Man-Goblin
02-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Martindale: It's business time.