PDA

View Full Version : Breaking down the restricted free agent tags

bronco militia
02-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Breaking down the restricted free agent tags

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 11, 2010 11:13 AM ET We're going to write about restricted free agent tags over the next three weeks, so we've listed the exact tender amounts over on PFT's feature page.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are different salaries depending on whether a player has four or five years of experience. (Since fifth-year players were unrestricted free agents before, this is a new phenomenon.)

Teams can tender players at four different compensation levels. These levels determine what a team will get in return if the player signs elsewhere. The four levels include: original pick compensation, a second round tender, a first round tender, and a first and a third round tender.

Quality starters should get the highest tender, which comes in at either $3.168 million or $3.268 million. Teams must apply the tags by March 4 or the player becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Four years of experience
-Original pick compensation: $1.176 million
-Second round tender: $1.759 million
-First round tender: $2.521 million
-First and third tender: $3.168 million

Five years of NFL experience
-Original pick compensation: $1.226 million
-Second round tender: $1.809 million
-First round tender: $2.621 million
-First and third round tender: $3.268 million

BroncoMan4ever
02-11-2010, 01:49 PM
i say we give Marshall, Doom, Kuper, and Orton all the 1st and 3rd round tenders. even if we end up with all of them back in town with just the 1 year deals, they are more than affordable.

baja
02-11-2010, 01:53 PM
i say we give Marshall, Doom, Kuper, and Orton all the 1st and 3rd round tenders. even if we end up with all of them back in town with just the 1 year deals, they are more than affordable.

Good plan, had we made the playoffs we would not have been allowed to do that, see McD is a genius. He had to find a way to go 2 and 8 to make this possible.

cutthemdown
02-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Good plan, had we made the playoffs we would not have been allowed to do that, see McD is a genius. He had to find a way to go 2 and 8 to make this possible.

Why is that? You can always re-sign your FA. The rule is you can't sign other teams FA unless you lose FA first.

Pretty sure playoff teams can resign all there own FA.

elsid13
02-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Why is that? You can always re-sign your FA. The rule is you can't sign other teams FA unless you lose FA first.

Pretty sure playoff teams can resign all there own FA.

That is correct.

lostknight
02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Four years of experience
-Original pick compensation: $1.176 million
-Second round tender: $1.759 million
-First round tender: $2.521 million
-First and third tender: $3.168 million

Five years of NFL experience
-Original pick compensation: $1.226 million
-Second round tender: $1.809 million
-First round tender: $2.621 million
-First and third round tender: $3.268 million

Bmarsh at 3.268 million is a deal.

cutthemdown
02-11-2010, 02:45 PM
BMarsh wont be a good team player on a one yr deal for 3.2 million.

BroncoMan4ever
02-11-2010, 04:34 PM

true, but it opens up the possibility of him signing a long term deal here.

figure the front office can tell Marshall we tendered you 1st and 3rd for 2 reasons. we think you are that good and we wanted to keep teams from trying to get you. now when other teams aren't willing to fork over that kind of compensation for him, we discuss giving him a new deal. he can't say we screwed him if no one wanted to part with picks for him, and that may make him more likely to want to remain in a place he feels wanted

snowtrx
02-11-2010, 04:41 PM

Gotta tease some teams into Orton and Kuper. Only 2nd round tenders for them.

TonyR
02-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Teams can use franchise tag and transition tag in uncapped year
Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2010 6:36 PM ET

As the first year without a salary cap since the salary cap was applied seventeen years ago approaches, many details need to be considered.

And with Thursday being the first day that the franchise tag may be applied to unrestricted free agents, one important facet of the uncapped year must be kept in mind.

In the uncapped year, teams may use both a franchise tag and a transition tag.

The transition tag has been used far less frequently since adoption of the current labor deal in 2006, given that the 2006 deal made the full amount of the transition tender (based on the average salary of the ten highest-paid players at the position) fully guaranteed once accepted by the player.

Because the transition tag gives the team only a right to match any offer that is made -- and no compensation if the offer isn't matched -- it makes far more sense to simply apply the franchise tag and pay the difference between the average of the ten highest-paid players at the position and the five highest-paid players at the position.

But with the ability in 2010 to use both, there's a chance that some teams will consider using the franchise tag on one player, and the transition tag on another. If the team is willing to keep the player for one more year at a guaranteed salary equal to the average pay of the top ten players at his position, there's no reason not to give it a try.

Alternatively, teams can use two transition tags in the uncapped year, but not two franchise tags.

You may now wake up and continue scrolling.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/11/teams-can-use-franchise-tag-and-transition-tag-in-uncapped-year/

BroncoMan4ever
02-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Gotta tease some teams into Orton and Kuper. Only 2nd round tenders for them.

why?

Kuper is one of the best young guards in the league. i know many may say he had a down year, but when you factor in the gate to the left of him AKA Weigman and Hamilton and then the fact he was without the usual Tackle to his right in Harris and that Polumbus didn't do a particularly good job as a backup, it would be hard for anyone to look great in that situation.

i am serious, if we let the guy go we are even worse on the line than we were last season.

With Orton, someone will nab him for a 2nd round pick and in that situation we are ****ed. McNabb isn't coming to Denver, his cap hit added with age and injury history makes him more of a liability than asset, and Simms couldn't hit sand if he fell off a camel, Brandstater no matter how many want him to get a shot is not now or will he ever be more than a backup.

like him or not, we need Orton more than he needs Denver. on the open market, he will get paid. Denver on the other hand without him is really screwed in available options.

look at Derek Anderson and Matt Cassell in recent seasons. there are teams that will pay out the ass for mediocre QBs if they believe they can be an improvement over what is already on the roster. While Orton isn't a particularly great QB, there are still a number of teams where he would be a dramatic upgrade to what those teams started at the position this year.

Buffalo, Carolina, San Francisco, Seattle, St Louis, maybe Miami are all teams that will be looking to possibly upgrade the QB position that would probably look into Orton if all we do is tender him as a 2nd round compensation.

Triplelefthook
02-12-2010, 11:41 AM
can someone explain this to me? so we have Marshall, Doom, Kuper, and Orton who are RFA's. Can we tender all of these guys?

if we tender Marshall at a 1st and 3rd, if a different team signs them does that me we get their 1st and 3rd?

Beantown Bronco
02-12-2010, 11:45 AM
can someone explain this to me? so we have Marshall, Doom, Kuper, and Orton who are RFA's. Can we tender all of these guys?

if we tender Marshall at a 1st and 3rd, if a different team signs them does that me we get their 1st and 3rd?

Yes and yes.

Triplelefthook
02-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes and yes.

and so is the transition tag something completely different?

also the deal with Marshall if we tender him at a 1st and 3rd level - we can still match any offer that some team decides to throw at him but if we decline to match, he goes to that team and we get their picks?

Beantown Bronco
02-12-2010, 12:02 PM
and so is the transition tag something completely different?

Yes. There are "tenders" and "tags".

Tenders are offered to RFAs.
Tags are offered to UFAs.

also the deal with Marshall if we tender him at a 1st and 3rd level - we can still match any offer that some team decides to throw at him but if we decline to match, he goes to that team and we get their picks?

Exactly.

Triplelefthook
02-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Yes. There are "tenders" and "tags".

Tenders are offered to RFAs.
Tags are offered to UFAs.

Exactly.

Thanks man, appreciate it :thumbsup:

cutthemdown
02-12-2010, 12:37 PM
why?

Kuper is one of the best young guards in the league. i know many may say he had a down year, but when you factor in the gate to the left of him AKA Weigman and Hamilton and then the fact he was without the usual Tackle to his right in Harris and that Polumbus didn't do a particularly good job as a backup, it would be hard for anyone to look great in that situation.

i am serious, if we let the guy go we are even worse on the line than we were last season.

With Orton, someone will nab him for a 2nd round pick and in that situation we are ****ed. McNabb isn't coming to Denver, his cap hit added with age and injury history makes him more of a liability than asset, and Simms couldn't hit sand if he fell off a camel, Brandstater no matter how many want him to get a shot is not now or will he ever be more than a backup.

like him or not, we need Orton more than he needs Denver. on the open market, he will get paid. Denver on the other hand without him is really screwed in available options.

look at Derek Anderson and Matt Cassell in recent seasons. there are teams that will pay out the ass for mediocre QBs if they believe they can be an improvement over what is already on the roster. While Orton isn't a particularly great QB, there are still a number of teams where he would be a dramatic upgrade to what those teams started at the position this year.

Buffalo, Carolina, San Francisco, Seattle, St Louis, maybe Miami are all teams that will be looking to possibly upgrade the QB position that would probably look into Orton if all we do is tender him as a 2nd round compensation.

Wow one of the best young guards in NFL? Do you really think that? I think Kuper a decent starter and at times shows some flashes, but other times gets pushed around quite a bit. Could be because his RT went down, could be hes not all that good. Not saying we shouldnt tender him, but I doubt teams line up to give you a 2nd for Kuper when there are probably guards better then him in FA.

Broncos IMO too many holes to worry about Kuper, if he doesnt want a ton of money I'd say resign him. No way in hell though any team signs him to a big offer sheet that gives us a first round pick. I doubt even the 2nd round pick.

Teams just don't like to part with high draft picks unless the player is special.

cutthemdown
02-12-2010, 12:43 PM
I would tender Marshall, Franchise tag doom. Is Orton going to be a RFA? He's only got 5 yrs in NFL huh? I thought he's been around a tad longer. In any even I don't think any of the needed. I think you offer Orton a fair offer for a lower echelon nfl starter/top bkup and he will take it.

With Kuper I think it will go a low tender and he signs it. Broncos then work out a longer term deal probably.

Then again maybe McDaniels wants OLB who are more well rounded. Wants no part of Marshall. And thinks there is better FA then Kuper. He may tender them all and hope teams sign them. Then maybe he would trade some of those pics for a QB like McNabb and a Dlineman or Olineman etc etc. Could end up Doom out but someone like Wilfork in. Or Seymore etc etc. Could end Marshall out but McNabb in. Kuper out but some other guard in and so on and so on.

We could be in for a wild ride.

Dr. Broncenstein
02-12-2010, 12:43 PM

Good. **** him if he doesn't like it.