PDA

View Full Version : Who is the 2nd greatest player in Broncos history?

montrose
02-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Came up in a discussion tonight, interested to get the response.

BroncoMan4ever
02-10-2010, 10:19 PM
i have to give it to TD. i know how important to the franchise Little was, and he is the main reason that a franchise remains in Denver. But TD is responsible for the 2 biggest wins in franchise history. i have no doubt in my mind that had we not started Griese and Lepsis hadn't fallen into his knee, that he would have finished his career as the greatest RB in NFL history.

Atwater His Ass
02-10-2010, 10:20 PM
TD for me. Absolutely dominated the position when he was healthy and was an integral piece in winning 2 Super Bowls.

bronco610
02-10-2010, 10:24 PM
I had to put Little because like John, he carried the team almost on his own for years.

Ratboy
02-10-2010, 10:24 PM
I let my favoritism come into play.

I chose Rod Smith.

TheReverend
02-10-2010, 10:32 PM
It has to be Little, because as said, there wouldn't even be a Broncos without him.

Third is a great question, imo, though.

CoopDawg
02-10-2010, 10:38 PM
For me it is TD, he ran for 2,000 yards, won a Super Bowl MVP, and a league MVP in our finest two year span in franchise history--all as a late round draft pick.

24champ
02-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Floyd. He is why there is a Denver Broncos we can all watch and root for.

montrose
02-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Floyd's value to the Broncos is undisputed, however I would say that given the era he plays in; the all-round level of play Champ has provided with every advantage given to his opponent is incredible. Especially the '05 and '06 seasons. With that, TD dominated his position and more importantly - the league - during a stretch that resulted in championships which is why I went with him.

baja
02-10-2010, 11:29 PM
I would guess that those that said someone other than Floyd Little were not Bronco fans when he played.

robbieopperude
02-11-2010, 12:02 AM
I went with TD because I think Greatness shouldn't be overshadowed by production. The man deserves to be in the Hall. I would lean towards champ for number 3 because he is probably the best shutdown corner since Deion and will likely be in the Hall as well. The difference is TD has a couple shiny rings on his fingers.

Blart
02-11-2010, 12:03 AM
I love Rod Smith, but if you were asked to name the top 3 WR's to ever play the game, his name wouldn't come up.

TD might come up in a top 5 RB's of all time, but would rarely be the 1st. I don't think Little would come up in the discussion.

Champ would come up in the top 3 CB's of all time, he's worthy of a vote.

Sharpe would come up as the #1 TE of all time in most discussions, so he gets my vote. Best player at the position, not just on the Broncos and Ravens, but all time.

strafen
02-11-2010, 12:15 AM
I can name a few that in my mind desrve the highest regards.
I'm picking TD because of what we achieved with him, and for what he helped this team achieve...a championship for the first time in franchise history, followed up with a second one.

BMarsh615
02-11-2010, 01:08 AM
TD. Without him the Broncos would still not have a SB trophy.

atomicbloke
02-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Tom Nalen.

He is not spoken of often since he wasn't a skill player. He has anchored our OL for a decade and a half and has blocked for the most prolific running game in NFL history. Is it any game that out famed running game went in the tank when he retired?

Big Nails belongs in the HOF.

BowlenBall
02-11-2010, 04:53 AM
Randy Gradishar.

In many ways, forgotten even by Broncos fans.

tsiguy96
02-11-2010, 04:54 AM
if youre talking about pure skill set at their position, its champ bailey. importance to the team and its (past) success is TD.

cmhargrove
02-11-2010, 06:05 AM
I'm torn between Herb Taylor and Norm Katnik...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-11-2010, 06:23 AM
I took Rod Smith. What he meant to this franchise and locker room, and how his attitude affected those around him, and his work ethic rubbed off on other players... I loves me some Rod Smith.

Tough to not pick TD or Floyd, though.

Jesterhole
02-11-2010, 06:32 AM
Sharpe. He is a lock for the Hall, and I'd pick him over Little. Helped changed the way people looked at the tight end position.

bendog
02-11-2010, 06:33 AM
W/O little, there are no denver broncos. There would be a franchise like the Cardinals that moved here eventually, like the avs. Or a new expansion team like Jax.

oubronco
02-11-2010, 06:43 AM
where's the cooked crack option

Pony Boy
02-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Elway and TD, without them we are tied with the Cartgers for SB wins.......

bendog
02-11-2010, 07:22 AM
greatest and best are not synonyms, and to have an opinion wouldn't you have to have acutally seen everyone play?

The Moops
02-11-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm voting Floyd, since Elway doesn't seem to be an option. To me, Floyd will always be the greatest Bronco . . . Elway even said so.

~Crash~
02-11-2010, 08:01 AM
I cannot believe TD did not get all the votes . It is not even close . but still.

~Crash~
02-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Also Dennis Smith should get a vote for what he brought in the bleak years and raiders not kicking our ass .

bendog
02-11-2010, 08:11 AM
I can't believe Little didn't get them all since he literally was "the Franchise." Without him, all those guys play for another team, or at least not the same franchise that exists in den today. the poll was "great" not "best football player."

but these polls are stupid.

GSRelyea
02-11-2010, 08:14 AM
I voted for Meck, just for Meck77 and the Bronco Bus

gunns
02-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Without Floyd, TD wouldn't have had a Broncos to play on. He was instrumental in getting the team it's first winning season and for people to notice the Broncos. That being said, TD helped the greatest get his first SB, so to me it's a toss up.

Zimmerman made that OL and I know John loved him for it, but you might want to put Tony Jones also, he was great.

gyldenlove
02-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Steve Atwater.

Garcia Bronco
02-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Easily the Four Four.

bronco militia
02-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Rod Smith...I'd vote for Floyd, but I was not alive for that era of football

azbroncfan
02-11-2010, 09:25 AM
TD might come up in a top 5 RB's of all time, but would rarely be the 1st. .

Really? It is going to be super tough for him to get in HOF and if he was a top 5 of all time he would be a shoe in. I'd have to go with Little or Gradishar.

broncosteven
02-11-2010, 09:33 AM
I had to vote other because you didn't put John on the list.

For me it is
1) Floyd
2) John

If Floyd doesn't sign and canvas the Denver Metro area BEFORE he played a game for the Broncos they likely move out of Denver.

Elway was awesome but maybe he plays in SD or LA instead of Denver if there is no Franchise in Denver.

Br0nc0Buster
02-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Where is the Peyton Hillis option?

Miss I.
02-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Why do people keep bringing up Elway in a discussion about "The 2nd greatest player in Broncos history"
I believe it's implied #1 Bronco belongs to him, but I could be wrong.

That said, I will go with Terrell Davis as 2nd Best Bronco,but I do have a serious fondness for Rod Smith...

montrose
02-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Why do people keep bringing up Elway in a discussion about "The 2nd greatest player in Broncos history"
I believe it's implied #1 Bronco belongs to him, but I could be wrong.

It is implied.

dbfan21
02-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Great question Montrose. It's a tough call. I mean, Little played his last game as a Bronco when I was literally less than 3 weeks old, so I did not watch him live. I do value him and what he did for the Broncos team and the city of Denver. I suppose being someone who respects history, Floyd would be my vote. TD is right behind him though simply for being the person to help balance our offensive attack and propel us to 2 Super Bowl victories.

tsiguy96
02-11-2010, 11:25 AM
really need to clarify the question. do you mean whos presence had the best impact of anyone on the team? or who was best at their position while a denver bronco?

Rabb
02-11-2010, 11:46 AM
really need to clarify the question. do you mean whos presence had the best impact of anyone on the team? or who was best at their position while a denver bronco?

actually, I don't think we do

do you need to clarify it at all to make John #1?

I don't, #2 is Floyd, he meant more to the franchise overall than anyone else on the list, although TD holds a special place in my heart since he was instrumental in the SB runs and I actually was able to watch him play and dominate

blackpower
02-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Clerance KAY AND Morton.

colonelbeef
02-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Nalen should be on this list, IMO

baja
02-11-2010, 12:23 PM
don't forget Dale Carter, he was a great corner and according to the arguments that fits some of you guy's criteria.

Blart
02-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Atwater votes reminded me of this,

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fvPxzQBIafo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fvPxzQBIafo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Florida_Bronco
02-11-2010, 12:32 PM
2nd best player in team history? Hard to argue against Davis. He was a stud and a huge reason we won our two Super Bowls.

2nd most valuable? I think Little is the clear choice here, seeing as how he basically saved this team.

The Moops
02-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Little and Elway are the only 2 HOFers that spent their entire careers with the Broncos. They should be 1-2 . . . with Little first!!!!

Hogan11
02-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Little and Elway are the only 2 HOFers that spent their entire careers with the Broncos. They should be 1-2 . . . with Little first!!!!

You know how it is, they never saw him play, hence the responses.

Just wait till the next wave of kids start coming in here and saying the same things about Elway......

Hamrob
02-13-2010, 07:51 PM
#53 all day everday. To me:

1. Elway
2. Gradishar
3. Little
4. TD
5. Sharpe
6. Mecklenberg
7. Tombstone Jackson
8. Rod Smith
9. Steve Atwater
10. Dennis Smith
11. Louis Wright
12. Al Wilson
13. Zimmerman
14. Jason Elam
15. Tom Nalen
16. Steve Watson
17. Rick Upchurch
18. Eddie Mac
19. Champ Bailey
20. Simon Fletcher

Hamrob
02-13-2010, 07:53 PM
You know how it is, they never saw him play, hence the responses.

Just wait till the next wave of kids start coming in here and saying the same things about Elway......No disrespect to Little...but Elway put Denver on the map!

Everyone, including idiots...think of one man when they think of the Denver Broncos...and I'm sorry it's not number 44!

Hamrob
02-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Prior to Elway...sure folks remembered Little...but the #53 filled the stadium!

Hogan11
02-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Prior to Elway...sure folks remembered Little...but the #53 filled the stadium!

So did Little.

montrose
02-13-2010, 09:10 PM

I wanted to leave it open to interpretation.

B-Love
02-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I love Floyd as much as the next guy but Gradishar was deserving of the Hall before Floyd. The beer will taste just as good this summer as it will when Randy gets inducted.

The only "other" Non Elway player who dominated his position for a full decade in Broncos history is Randy Gradishar. Not Floyd, not Mecklenburg and certainly not Atwater.

No other player was ever ranked in the top 3 at his position around the NFL, for 9 straight starting seasons, not even Elway. The only player in Broncos history to be ranked in the top 2 or 3 at his position, for his entire career, from both a statistical, AND player personnel perspective, was Randy Gradishar. Not even Elway can say that.

Obviously Elway is the greatest Bronco, but I really don't understand ranking anyone but Randy number 2.

The reason Randy is not in is because Sportswriters vote. Every Pro Scout and Player personnel/GM type ranking in the late 70's and early 80's had Randy Gradishar ranked at either #1 or 2 at his position leaguewide. One or two of his 9 starting seasons he may have been ranked third by personnel people. No other Broncos can say that, other than Elway!!

Powerful stuff.

Tombstone RJ
02-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Came up in a discussion tonight, interested to get the response.

For purely "saving the franchise" no one is above Floyd Little aside from John Elway. After Floyd, the person most directly attibuted with helping the franchise is Elway.

So, really there are two predominent enfluences in Broncos football history, Little and Elway. Everyone after those two are completely opinion based

TheReverend
02-14-2010, 12:02 AM
I wanted to leave it open to interpretation.

A "Jerry Rice" option would've blown the door to the interpretation off it's hinges.

Gort
02-14-2010, 12:35 AM
this poll should be divided into 2 voting groups... voters who grew up before ESPN and voters who grew up with ESPN, and then throw out every vote from a voter who grew up with ESPN.

;)

baja
02-14-2010, 06:48 AM
For years Floyd Little was the Denver broncos. He was the only reason to look forward to Sunday.

broncogary
02-14-2010, 07:13 AM
For years Floyd Little was the Denver broncos. He was the only reason to look forward to Sunday.

I used to look forward to Lou Saban tackling the referees after the game. :sunshine:

Hamrob
02-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Next to Elway...what do people think of when they think of the Denver Broncos????

THE ORANGE CRUSH DEFENSE!

Who led that squad...who was the finest player on that team?

RANDY GRADISHAR!

baja
02-14-2010, 11:23 AM
I used to look forward to Lou Saban tackling the referees after the game. :sunshine:

I loved the shot of all the half loafs of bread littering his lawn.

Rausch 2.0
02-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Next to Elway...what do people think of when they think of the Denver Broncos????

That loudmouth POS cogsugger Sharpe...

maher_tyler
02-14-2010, 02:22 PM
With out TD, we don't win those SB's!!

baja
02-14-2010, 02:25 PM
With out TD, we don't win those SB's!!

Without Floyd Little the 97 & 98 SB winner likely would not have been known as the "Denver" Broncos.

Durango
02-14-2010, 02:56 PM
I love Floyd as much as the next guy but Gradishar was deserving of the Hall before Floyd. The beer will taste just as good this summer as it will when Randy gets inducted.

The only "other" Non Elway player who dominated his position for a full decade in Broncos history is Randy Gradishar. Not Floyd, not Mecklenburg and certainly not Atwater.

No other player was ever ranked in the top 3 at his position around the NFL, for 9 straight starting seasons, not even Elway. The only player in Broncos history to be ranked in the top 2 or 3 at his position, for his entire career, from both a statistical, AND player personnel perspective, was Randy Gradishar. Not even Elway can say that.

Obviously Elway is the greatest Bronco, but I really don't understand ranking anyone but Randy number 2.

The reason Randy is not in is because Sportswriters vote. Every Pro Scout and Player personnel/GM type ranking in the late 70's and early 80's had Randy Gradishar ranked at either #1 or 2 at his position leaguewide. One or two of his 9 starting seasons he may have been ranked third by personnel people. No other Broncos can say that, other than Elway!!

Powerful stuff.

Wouldn't argue that at all, but Floyd Little is still the 2nd greatest player in this franchises history.

Perspective got Floyd his HOF votes. He just did everything, and did it as well or better than anyone in the league on a team that struggled winning 4 or 5 games a year.

Punisher
02-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Gary Busey!!!
http://cerebraljetsam.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/gary-busey.jpg

blackpower
02-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Tony Dorsett and Reggie Rivers

maher_tyler
02-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Without Floyd Little the 97 & 98 SB winner likely would not have been known as the "Denver" Broncos.

It was who i thought was 2nd best to Elway...most impact full to the franchise he would prolly get 2nd.

bronco610
02-14-2010, 10:49 PM
I say it was Little and since when I post the thread dies. so end thread. HA!!!!!

baja
02-14-2010, 11:47 PM
I say it was Little and since when I post the thread dies. so end thread. HA!!!!!

I noticed that....

ZONA
02-15-2010, 01:00 AM
I wanted to vote for TD because he was so important to our SB wins but it really does take a TEAM to win the Superbowl and there were plenty of guys who stepped up and made crucial plays during those seasons and in the Superbowl games themselves in order for us to win.

I voted Sharpe because he played more seasons then most guys and played at a HOF level for so long. He's got 3 rings, the big time stats and soon to be in the HOF.

Rod was also great but he was my 3rd on the list.