PDA

View Full Version : Colts’ Polian blames offensive line, special teams for lose

HEAV
02-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Colts president Bill Polian told the team’s official Web site Wednesday that the offensive line and special teams should shoulder much of the blame for the Super Bowl XLIV loss to the Saints.

“Our offensive line, by our standards, did not have a good game,” Polian said of Sunday’s performance. “They were outplayed by the Saints’ defensive line. Our special teams, in terms of handing the ball — both in the return game and on the onside kick — were outplayed by the Saints. Therein lies the result. It had nothing to do with strategy or preparedness or toughness or effort.”

This, of course, isn’t the first time the Colts’ offensive line has been criticized after a playoff loss. QB Peyton Manning said there were “problems in protection” following a loss to the Steelers in the 2005 AFC divisional round.

The Colts’ offensive line even went through some changes before the season started. Former left guard Charlie Johnson moved to left tackle, sending Tony Ugoh to the bench, and Ryan Lija shifted to left guard. But the unit played well enough for the Colts to go 14-0 when which the offensive starters played the entire game, plus two impressive playoff wins.

Polian said the Super Bowl simply came down to execution.

“… There were certain situations throughout the game where we didn’t execute — most notably, the failure to get the first down and run the clock out at the end of the first half after a magnificent goal-line stand and then, of course, the failure to handle the onside kick,” Polian said. “We had four things we could have done positively on that play. We didn’t do any of them. That absolutely changed the game. It went from our getting the ball on their 40-yard line to having them march down for a touchdown. Then, our inability to punch it in from first-and-goal on the 3. Those situations, we did not execute.”

----------

DBroncos4life
02-10-2010, 11:02 PM
He clearly doesn't get that Coyer was the problem.

Taco John
02-10-2010, 11:11 PM
He clearly doesn't get that Coyer was the problem.

Ha! Clearly!

misturanderson
02-10-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm not sure how anyone could blame that loss on their OL. They allowed 0 sacks and were clearing holes all the way down the field for Addai. They missed out on a 1st and goal, but so did the saints.

I would place the loss squarely on the coaches (outcoached by a wide margin) followed closely by the QB (choker). Or maybe it would make more sense to just give credit to the saints, they played extremely well.

2KBack
02-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Yeah, the colts ran better than they had all season (5 yards per carry), and Peyton had time. I don't see where OL shoulders much, if any, blame.

He forgets to mention that on the goalline towards the end of the game they passed the ball 4 straight times.

Dr.5280
02-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Why no mention of turnovers in critical situations? Is Jugghead above critisism? I smell trouble coming for the Colts if Polin isn't more objective and less political with his diatribe. Bottom line is that they were out coached.

TheReverend
02-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Yeah, the colts ran better than they had all season (5 yards per carry), and Peyton had time. I don't see where OL shoulders much, if any, blame.

He forgets to mention that on the goalline towards the end of the game they passed the ball 4 straight times.

I guessed you missed that one of those plays was a hand off for -2 yards?

The MVPlaya
02-11-2010, 12:43 AM
lol the oline? really?

lol @ taco and dbroncos4life...

Saints scored on 5/6 of their last drives - including 4 in a row. The only drive where they didn't was the goal line stand. Brees going 29/32 after the 1st quarter?

The Saints were marching down the field EVERY SINGLE play. They had 3 WR sets where Colts D did not adjust to bring in more DB's. They were getting TORCHED.

I was saying during the game - even IF Manning scored - Saints would have had enough time to march back down field to win.

Clearly though - I mean clearly - the defense did it's job.

The only reason they bring it up is because they know what it is.

But I'm not surprised you guys read passed this...

"...That absolutely changed the game. It went from our getting the ball on their 40-yard line to having them march down for a touchdown. Then, our inability to punch it in from first-and-goal on the 3. Those situations, we did not execute."

The Colts lost in all 3 phases of the game.

Rohirrim
02-11-2010, 06:26 AM
Outcoached. And if Polian doesn't believe it, we'll be glad to take Saturday off his hands.

tsiguy96
02-11-2010, 06:46 AM
polian is delusional.

Beantown Bronco
02-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Odd that he didn't mention their WRs dropping something like five or six critical passes.

loborugger
02-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Odd that he didn't mention their WRs dropping something like five or six critical passes.

Or melonhead's game losing INT.

It was a team lose. Outcoached and outplayed in all facets of the game.