PDA

View Full Version : CU to the Pac-10?

24champ
02-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Er Pac-12?

Seems that the rumors are flying that the Pac-10 is wanting to expand by adding Colorado (tap into the Denver TV market) and Utah Utes (to get the SLC market). The primary move behind this is to get a Conference Championship game in football, which in turn would be great leverage for the next round of TV contracts negotiations. The SEC has set the standard for conferences, and most are looking into expanding, see Big Ten.

How do Buff fans feel about a potential move like this?

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/Utah-to-the-PAC-10-Not-BYU-It-could-happen/gpbSMZcBykqmrzztzmff7Q.cspx

JCMElway
02-10-2010, 02:36 PM
No biggee. The Buffs can lose big games and play no defense on the left coast as well as in the big 12.

NFLBRONCO
02-10-2010, 02:38 PM
I think its a great move for CU too bad they kept Hawkins.

DBroncos4life
02-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Who would replace them in the B12? TCU?

Tombstone RJ
02-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Big 12 is a better football conference. Not sure what CU would have to gain by switching to the Pac 10.

Maybe CSU could move into the Big 12 if CU moved to the Pac 10!

Crushaholic
02-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Illinois might be a good choice to move into the Big 12. They already have somewhat of a rivalry established with Missouri...

Rohirrim
02-10-2010, 02:48 PM
No biggee. The Buffs can lose big games and play no defense on the left coast as well as in the big 12.

:pity: Too ****ing true to be funny.

DBroncos4life
02-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Illinois might be a good choice to move into the Big 12. They already have somewhat of a rivalry established with Missouri...
I have seen CU to Pac 10 Mizzu to Big 10 and Utah and BYU into the B12. Not all impressed by that.

24champ
02-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Who would replace them in the B12? TCU?

Dunno if the B12 wants them, and find themselves into the same situation as the old Southwest Conference.

24champ
02-10-2010, 02:52 PM
I have seen CU to Pac 10 Mizzu to Big 10 and Utah and BYU into the B12. Not all impressed by that.

Pac-10 needs to expand to 12.

I can see BYU going to B12, and the Utes to the Pac-10.

DBroncos4life
02-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Dunno if the B12 wants them, and find themselves into the same situation as the old Southwest Conference.

Trust me the last thing I want for the B12 is another Texas team.

Doggcow
02-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Search function: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=89289

DBroncos4life
02-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Pac-10 needs to expand to 12.

I can see BYU going to B12, and the Utes to the Pac-10.

Based on the sources they had and I'm quoting someone from a message board, that is what they had in mind as well. Though they did go on to say they didn't want to break BYU and Utah apart.

24champ
02-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Trust me the last thing I want for the B12 is another Texas team.

Yeah, because the B12 has the Texas TV market cornered.

The only way I see TCU getting added to the conference is if Texas bails and joins the Utes in the Pac-10. That would make the Pac-10 in a very enviable position when it comes to negotiating TV contracts.

DBroncos4life
02-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Search function: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=89289

That's great my search function doesn't work.

DomCasual
02-10-2010, 03:03 PM
BYU will not play any games on Sunday. If they advanced to a national championship game, and it was a Sunday game, they would forfeit. I'm not sure how any major conference would get past that - especially in basketball.

Archer81
02-10-2010, 03:06 PM
BYU will not play any games on Sunday. If they advanced to a national championship game, and it was a Sunday game, they would forfeit. I'm not sure how any major conference would get past that - especially in basketball.

Double check with Bronco Warrior. I am certain he would know...:approve:

:Broncos:

Dagmar
02-10-2010, 03:40 PM
That's great my search function doesn't work.

I've been having issues with it too actually.

ZONA
02-10-2010, 03:47 PM
The Pac-10 Wants CU so they can wupp ass on them, in football and whoops, hahahaha. CU has gone down hill and they can't compete anywhere against anybody. Sad.

But hey, they will get to play USC and Oregon once every year in football. The Buffs will have NO chance against the PAC 10 in whoops though, ever.

Tombstone RJ
02-10-2010, 04:18 PM
CU needs to go to the Mountain West Conference and Utah needs to go into the Big 12. This would make the CU/CSU games relevent and it would give the Big 12 a school that takes athletics seriously.

BroncoMan4ever
02-10-2010, 05:00 PM

i agree. although the competition is a lot weaker in the PAC 10 than it is in the Big 12 so they might look a little better

Man-Goblin
02-10-2010, 05:27 PM
When Neuheisel was coach he was lobbying HARD for this, if I remember correctly.

The Big XII is probably a better conference overall, so at this point it would probably benefit CU to get out of there. In football, USC has sanctions coming, and in basketball CU would be competing for a conference title within 2 years.

Would suck to lose the rivalries, though.

Dr. Broncenstein
02-10-2010, 06:04 PM
I'd kind of like to see Arkansas take that spot, although it be a lateral move for the school at best. There are at least two established rivalries with Texas and Texas A&M. OU, OSU, and Missouri would be instantaneous interstate rivalries. I hate the GD sooner fans around here.. 90% of which have never stepped foot on any college campus let alone the Norman campus.

KipCorrington25
02-10-2010, 06:06 PM
You people do realize that conference membership has very little to do with what a football program has done the last couple years on the field and more to do with the geographical and academic match as well as the university mission and that the presidents decide who gets in and who doesn't and not the AD's or football coaches.

Wes Mantooth
02-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Boise State makes much more sense than Utah, but I get CU.

bpc
02-10-2010, 06:10 PM
I hate what CU is right now, but CU to the Pac 10 makes too much sense. They've chosen to place their roots out there in recruiting and they've lost the Texas front which put them on the map in the 80's.

The academics along with general mis-management have put them so far behind the OU's and Texas' of the world that it might be better to uproot and join some other schools. They're also at a recruiting disadvantage to the TT's, KU and KSU's of the big 12 because they can't actively get and count on JUCO's to fill out their roster.

CU naturally has some great rivalries with UW, UCLA, Cal, and Oregon among others. This would translate into a natural fit on the field of play.

bpc
02-10-2010, 06:13 PM
I'd kind of like to see Arkansas take that spot, although it be a lateral move for the school at best. There are at least two established rivalries with Texas and Texas A&M. OU, OSU, and Missouri would be instantaneous interstate rivalries. I hate the GD sooner fans around here.. 90% of which have never stepped foot on any college campus let alone the Norman campus.

If CU and a team like Mizzou leaves for the big 10, I think the big 12 will be hard pressed to find quality replacements. Teams like TCU and Arkansas would make a lot of sense. Don't underestimate rivalry. They would probably be open to it in the end.

In this situation, OU, OkState move their rivalry up to the Big 12 North to matchup with Nebraska, KU, and K-State.

Texas stays in the south with Arkansas/Texas A&M/Texas Tech becoming the feature round-robin matchups.

24champ
02-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Boise State makes much more sense than Utah, but I get CU.

Actually it doesn't make any sense.

Boise State won't be invited to the Pac-10. Their academics suck in comparison to the Pac-10. Yes Education is a factor in these expansion possibilities, it's why CU is being considered.

Also Boise's TV market sucks, it's ranked like 112 in the Country. Makes no sense for the Pac-10 to invite BSU.

Broncoman13
02-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Houston is another possibility for the Big 12, they've been playing good football for a long time and have had several season ranked in the top 25.

If CU goes to the Pac-10 (12), it would make a lot of sense for TCU and Houston to join in the Big 12. The only problem with that is, the North would probably have to take one of those teams (TCU) to balance things out. BTW, the Big-12 should dump Iowa St. too.

SouthStndJunkie
02-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Pitt or Rutgers are the favorites to join the Big Ten at the moment....the Big Ten really wants in the New Jersey/New York market that Rutgers is in.

Broncoman13
02-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Pitt would be more competitive. Rutgers would be the larger market. Tough call.

SouthStndJunkie
02-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Pitt would be more competitive. Rutgers would be the larger market. Tough call.

As a football fan, Pitt would be a sweet addition, but it's understandable why they would want Rutgers.

The Big Ten has their Big Ten Network and the New Jersey/New York market would be a boon for them.

24champ
02-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Houston is another possibility for the Big 12, they've been playing good football for a long time and have had several season ranked in the top 25.

If CU goes to the Pac-10 (12), it would make a lot of sense for TCU and Houston to join in the Big 12. The only problem with that is, the North would probably have to take one of those teams (TCU) to balance things out. BTW, the Big-12 should dump Iowa St. too.

TCU isn't going to the Big12. It would create the same problems the old Southwest Conference had. It's conceivable they join the Big East and rejoin some of their old CUSA conferencemates.

Crushaholic
02-10-2010, 10:46 PM
The Big 12 would probably want a school who could compete (within reason) in both football and basketball. Therefore, TCU is out. In fact, they would want a North team to replace Colorado, so they don't have to do any re-alignment that makes no sense.

bpc
02-10-2010, 11:22 PM
I don't see how the Big 10 could pass on the Mizzou. I know Rutgers and Pitt have been floated but what kind of ratings is Rutgers bringing?

Mizzou is bringing both KC/St. Louis cities with them and have natural borders and rivalries with Iowa, Illinoise, Purdue/Indiana/Minnesota.

They also bring a up and coming football program, and a historically very good basketball program. The baseball program is pretty good too.

NFLBRONCO
02-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Didn't CU to Pac 19 first surface years ago as well?

24champ
02-10-2010, 11:37 PM
A friend of mine with close connections to the Utes says...

"The only thing I have directly heard is that this event is imminent and should be announced within a month.There are multiple sources, not just in the Ute Athletic Dept, and they are all saying the same thing. Imminent. I'd put the Utes at 75 percent likely to join the Pac-10 this spring. Heard CU is interested in making the switch. Nothing is done until it is done."

Tombstone RJ
02-11-2010, 09:04 AM

I LIKE YOUR THINKING!

WOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOOOIE!

!Booya!

Tombstone RJ
02-11-2010, 09:07 AM
I hate what CU is right now, but CU to the Pac 10 makes too much sense. They've chosen to place their roots out there in recruiting and they've lost the Texas front which put them on the map in the 80's.

The academics along with general mis-management have put them so far behind the OU's and Texas' of the world that it might be better to uproot and join some other schools. They're also at a recruiting disadvantage to the TT's, KU and KSU's of the big 12 because they can't actively get and count on JUCO's to fill out their roster.

CU naturally has some great rivalries with UW, UCLA, Cal, and Oregon among others. This would translate into a natural fit on the field of play.

After all, most of CUs student body comes from Cali anyway. I hate CU (not really, but I hate the way it's managed).

Doggcow
02-11-2010, 09:54 AM
It's also important for the schools to be compatible at more than just football.

Garcia Bronco
02-11-2010, 10:06 AM
I think that a CCG should be manditory for every conference.

bpc
02-11-2010, 10:10 AM
If the Pac 10 is that serious about getting CU, I'd give them a list of initiatives to help get us on board, and up to code.

1. Restart the baseball program. I'm sure this would sent title IX members into a tissy but CU needs to have three prominent sports during the sports season. I would ask for some type of general sports subsidy for the first five years to get the program off the ground again. I'd also go to sponsors like Coors and see if they would be willing to assist in the building of baseball stadium with their name on it.

2. Potential loss of revenue would need to be offset. CU would have to give the Big 12 two years notice before leaving. The big 12 can cut shared revenue with them 50%. One has to wonder if keeping Hawk around and saving 3 million could be accounted for in this pile.

If they could set up a few initiatives like this to include our top 30 TV market into the fold and giving them a monopoly on the rocky mountains on west, Cu would take it to the bank.

missingnumber7
02-11-2010, 10:26 AM
I think that a CCG should be manditory for every conference.

Here here....if you want to be a bcs school...gotta play a championship game

Pony Boy
02-11-2010, 10:37 AM
The Big 12 really needs an overhaul and if CU leaves, I would like to see OU move to the north and add TCU to the south. Drop Baylor and bring in LSU to the south. It would bring back the OU Nebraska rivalry set up a LSU Texas match up and a great championship game.

Garcia Bronco
02-11-2010, 10:42 AM
They'll never lose Baylor. Somebody explained it too me once..and it involved Ann Richards, but I have forgotten the details.

bpc
02-11-2010, 10:54 AM
The Big 12 really needs an overhaul and if CU leaves, I would like to see OU move to the north and add TCU to the south. Drop Baylor and bring in LSU to the south. It would bring back the OU Nebraska rivalry set up a LSU Texas match up and a great championship game.

If the Big 12 could ever get LSU/Arkansas, that would be a great get for them. I doubt it could happen though. LSU's roots are so far down in the SEC tradition, I doubt they would ever leave.

Rohirrim
02-11-2010, 11:06 AM
This would really suck for me. I grew up rooting for USC and then graduated from CU. I would go into some kind of brain lock if they regularly played each other.

Houshyamama
02-11-2010, 11:15 AM
CU needs to go to the Mountain West Conference and Utah needs to go into the Big 12. This would make the CU/CSU games relevent and it would give the Big 12 a school that takes athletics seriously.

Playing in the MWest is like banishment. Who wants to go from playing in the majors to the minors?

want2bAbronco2
02-11-2010, 11:15 AM
i love it! then i can go seee my USC team play!

Houshyamama
02-11-2010, 11:16 AM
i agree. although the competition is a lot weaker in the PAC 10 than it is in the Big 12 so they might look a little better

:rofl:weaker competition in the Pac 10. riiiiiight.

Crushaholic
02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
They'll never lose Baylor. Somebody explained it too me once..and it involved Ann Richards, but I have forgotten the details.

Ma Richards is in the ground. It's time to act...:sunshine:

jhns
02-11-2010, 11:32 AM
I could see why they want out of the Big 12. The anual ass pounding by Nebraska has to take a toll eventually. I would try getting out of it if I had the option.

Garcia Bronco
02-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Rutgers would only drag the big 10 down further. I mean heck...why not go after Temple. LOL

Garcia Bronco
02-11-2010, 11:42 AM
If the Big 12 could ever get LSU/Arkansas, that would be a great get for them. I doubt it could happen though. LSU's roots are so far down in the SEC tradition, I doubt they would ever leave.

I mentioned this to an LSU alum about 10 minutes ago...he still hasn't stopped laughing.

Houshyamama
02-11-2010, 11:45 AM
I mentioned this to an LSU alum about 10 minutes ago...he still hasn't stopped laughing.

No one wants to go to the Big 12. Outside of Texas/Oklahoma/Nebraska... the talent level really drops off. If Texas leaves the Big 12's market is going to be tiny. Why in the hell would an SEC team want to move to the Big 12? Hilarious!

Pony Boy
02-11-2010, 12:00 PM

When he stops laughing, you might let him know an annual game between LSU and Texas would quickly turn into one of the best rivalries in college football...... The recruiting wars between LSU and Texas make OU/Texas recruiting look like cripple fights....

Pony Boy
02-11-2010, 12:29 PM
:rofl:weaker competition in the Pac 10. riiiiiight.

Conference Power Rankings: 2008-2009 Season Final
Ranking the BCS Conferences, from Best to Worst
1. SEC
2. BIG 12
3. PAC-10 #3 that translates to weaker.....
4. ACC
5. MOUNTAIN WEST
6. BIG 10
7. BIG EAST

24champ
02-11-2010, 12:32 PM
When he stops laughing, you might let him know an annual game between LSU and Texas would quickly turn into one of the best rivalries in college football...... The recruiting wars between LSU and Texas make OU/Texas recruiting look like cripple fights....

Problem is...SEC makes too much money for any school in that Conference to leave. Possible football rivalries mean nil.

Houshyamama
02-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Conference Power Rankings: 2008-2009 Season Final
Ranking the BCS Conferences, from Best to Worst
1. SEC
2. BIG 12
3. PAC-10 #3 that translates to weaker.....
4. ACC
5. MOUNTAIN WEST
6. BIG 10
7. BIG EAST

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc09.htm

1 SOUTHEASTERN
2 BIG EAST
3 PAC-10
4 ATLANTIC COAST
5 BIG 12
6 BIG TEN

Beantown Bronco
02-11-2010, 12:35 PM
What on Earth are these guys using to rank the conferences? How can the Big East be 2nd in one and 7th in the other?

DBroncos4life
02-11-2010, 12:40 PM
The Pac 10 was pretty scary in Bowl games. :welcome:

Houshyamama
02-11-2010, 12:49 PM
What on Earth are these guys using to rank the conferences? How can the Big East be 2nd in one and 7th in the other?

Yeah, I don't know. I was wondering the same thing... seems pretty arbitrary.

Rohirrim
02-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I really think this idea sucks. It destroys regional rivalries that have been going on for a long time. CU/Nebraska still fires up a lot of people, even with such weak Buffs' teams. So does KState, Oklahoma and Texas. Who would be our rivalry now? Oregon? Arizona? Just dumb.

bpc
02-11-2010, 01:51 PM
I really think this idea sucks. It destroys regional rivalries that have been going on for a long time. CU/Nebraska still fires up a lot of people, even with such weak Buffs' teams. So does KState, Oklahoma and Texas. Who would be our rivalry now? Oregon? Arizona? Just dumb.

I think Nebraska/CU could still play each other as an out of conference game. Keep CSU/Nebraska on the schedule along with the Pac 10 slate.

F Texas. F Oklahoma. F KState.

Doesn't matter anymore, they aren't even recruiting Texas area and they haven't been a factor in Kansas/Missouri for a long time either.

BroncoInferno
02-11-2010, 02:14 PM
To me, it doesn't make much sense for CU. The already play in a BCS conference that plays a championship game. I think BYU and Utah make the most sense for the Pac-10. Both schools would be upgrading to a BCS conference.

Natedog24
02-11-2010, 02:23 PM
If the Pac 10 is going to do this they absolutely need to break it up East/West instead of North/South or they are going to hurt the Northwest schools ability to get recruits out of California. We don't want to turn into the Big 12 were the South half consistently dominates the North half.

24champ
02-11-2010, 02:24 PM
To me, it doesn't make much sense for CU. The already play in a BCS conference that plays a championship game. I think BYU and Utah make the most sense for the Pac-10. Both schools would be upgrading to a BCS conference.

Couple things. BYU.has the sunday rule, and they won't be invited unless they change that. Secondly the PAC-10 is pretty liberal, they don't want a school like BYU in their conference. No offense to BYU fans on here.

Third thing is the PAC-10 needs to expand their television markets. They are going to rework their TV deal pretty soon and they are going to want two markets. Hence why Salt Lake and Denver are their targets.

Rivalries and all that means nil. Its all being fueled by cold hard cash and the Pac-10 schools need some.

enjolras
02-11-2010, 02:57 PM
I think a move to the PAC-10 makes great sense for CU. It gives them a more ability to recruit in the west, which is much more culturally compatible with Boulder.

Pony Boy
02-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I think a move to the PAC-10 makes great sense for CU. It gives them a more ability to recruit in the west, which is much more culturally compatible with Boulder.

There's a recruting tool....... "Mrs. Jones, your gay son will feel so much love in Boulder, it's almost like being back in California.....we are not one of those mean redneck big 12 schools. You know they say a queer in Nebraska is a guy who loves girls more than he loves football"....

spdirty
02-11-2010, 05:31 PM
I would hate this. Mostly for reasons Ro stated.

24champ
02-11-2010, 05:51 PM
The Mountain West Conference has a "Plan B" if it directly or indirectly loses membership to Pac-10 expansion.

"Absolutely, we would be prepared tomorrow for any number of scenarios," MWC commissioner Craig Thompson said Wednesday by phone. "We've always been proactive; we are doing the necessary research and looking at all options. When we added TCU in 2005, we did it for one reason, to strengthen the league."

Asked if the MWC would negotiate with a school to remain — the way schools deal to keep coaches — Thompson reiterated the league's football and basketball success.

Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott announced Tuesday his league would start serious analysis of expansion in the next six months to one year. While hardly a new issue, immediate media speculation focused on Colorado and Utah for their TV markets, academic reputations and football traditions.

If CU were to leave for the Pac-10, MWC member TCU would be a logical replacement in the Big 12.

"As with other conferences, the Big 12 is studying the intercollegiate landscape and options to consider in preparing for the future," said Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe, in a prepared statement. "All of these deliberations will be carried out confidentially."

Beyond his initial comment Tuesday that he's focused on being competitive in the Big 12, CU athletic director Mike Bohn did not return messages Wednesday.

Officials from MWC members Utah, BYU and TCU said they have not been contacted by the Pac-10.

Although he has only been at the school a year, TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte is aware of the institutional memory of getting left behind in 1994 when the Big Eight cherry-picked the old Southwest Conference to form the Big 12. Baylor was picked over TCU, which then meandered through four conference affiliations in a decade.

"When conference expansion happened before, it was all behind the scenes," Del Conte said Wednesday night. "As I tell our people, 'we should make sure that TCU takes care of TCU.'

"I think one thing you have to look at is the health of the athletic department is completely different than in 1994."

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_14378166

Doggcow
02-11-2010, 06:04 PM

Rivalries are made and earned...

No telling who you would end up rivaling until a few years roll through.

It's like the Seahawks trying to say they have some rivalry with San Francisco lol

Tombstone RJ
02-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Playing in the MWest is like banishment. Who wants to go from playing in the majors to the minors?

CU athletics needs banishment my friend...

Tombstone RJ
02-11-2010, 06:24 PM
No one wants to go to the Big 12. Outside of Texas/Oklahoma/Nebraska... the talent level really drops off. If Texas leaves the Big 12's market is going to be tiny. Why in the hell would an SEC team want to move to the Big 12? Hilarious!

It's the best football conference in the NCAA and it's basketball is very respectable.

24champ
02-11-2010, 07:51 PM
It's the best football conference in the NCAA and it's basketball is very respectable.

The money the SEC earns says otherwise. Also the SEC has beaten the Big12 in the NC games lately.

TexanBob
02-11-2010, 08:17 PM
I could see Utah and Colorado as the two programs the Pac 10 would like to get as soon as Texas tells them "Hailllll, no!" I think the Big 10 is going to wind up with Syracuse because it can then have inroads to the NY tv market while revising the old rivalry with Penn St.

Replenishing the Big 12 would be difficult as they would need to find a team with a strong enough tv presence to replace Denver. No SEC team is going to want to switch. Houston and TCU add nothing to the tv market. Neither does Tulsa. I wonder if UNLV could serve as a replacement?

What I'd really like to see is eight 12-team conferences with a championship game so you have a de facto 16-team playoff made up of the conference championship games, four quarterfinals in mid-December, two semi-finals (the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl) around New Years Day and a national championship game in mid-January.

The BCS dies off. Some conferences like C-USA and MWC step up to the big time while many of the other conferences fill in the field so that you have 96 teams with an equal chance to win the crystal football and no computers or opinion polls to impede their path.

That's the blueprint for this whole concept.

spdirty
02-11-2010, 10:42 PM
I could see Utah and Colorado as the two programs the Pac 10 would like to get as soon as Texas tells them "Hailllll, no!" I think the Big 10 is going to wind up with Syracuse because it can then have inroads to the NY tv market while revising the old rivalry with Penn St.

Replenishing the Big 12 would be difficult as they would need to find a team with a strong enough tv presence to replace Denver. No SEC team is going to want to switch. Houston and TCU add nothing to the tv market. Neither does Tulsa. I wonder if UNLV could serve as a replacement?

What I'd really like to see is eight 12-team conferences with a championship game so you have a de facto 16-team playoff made up of the conference championship games, four quarterfinals in mid-December, two semi-finals (the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl) around New Years Day and a national championship game in mid-January.

The BCS dies off. Some conferences like C-USA and MWC step up to the big time while many of the other conferences fill in the field so that you have 96 teams with an equal chance to win the crystal football and no computers or opinion polls to impede their path.

That's the blueprint for this whole concept.

Go to Pasadena and detonate the Rose Bowl then cuz thats the biggest friggin hurdle.

Orange4Life
02-11-2010, 11:55 PM
On the radio tonight they reported that the Big Ten wants Texas and Texas is interested. I can't find a link anywhere, sorry (checked ESPN and Fox Sports). This would turn everything on its head.

I could see Texas to Big Ten
Utah and Colorado to Pac Ten
BYU and TCU to Big 12? Makes sense within the divisions....

Vladimir
02-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Bring em' on! Go Oregon!:strong:

Natedog24
02-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Bring em' on! Go Oregon!:strong:

Word! :notworthy

DBroncos4life
02-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Steven M. Sipple: Osborne stays cool as expansion talk heats up

Friday, Feb 12, 2010 - 12:16:16 am CST

Anyone else get the feeling all heck is about to break loose in college football?

All this conference expansion discussion, from Nebraska’s perspective, makes me feel a tad uneasy.

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne, however, isn’t sweating it — not yet, anyway — even though the Big 12 within a couple years might be looking for a couple new members, if not more. It’s a lot of speculation at this point, but Missouri moving to the Big Ten and Colorado to the Pac-10 makes too much sense to ignore.

Video: Diagnosing the NU defensive line
Video: Looking ahead to the spring QB race

That’s just part of the story.

I sense a seismic shift nationally.

The big news this week occurred when new Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott said his league is “looking at (expansion) very seriously.” Meanwhile, the Big Ten is two months into exploring adding another team, and maybe more.

For what it’s worth, neither the Big Ten nor Pac-10 has contacted Nebraska.

But the Huskers would listen if called.

“I haven’t heard anything from (Big Ten commissioner) Jim Delany, so you don’t know exactly what they’re thinking,” Osborne said Thursday. “We haven’t entered into any formal talks with anybody right now. We’re focusing on the Big 12. But I don’t think that means if somebody wanted to pick up the phone and call us, that we’d hang up on them. You listen. But we don’t have any plans to do anything different at this point.

“We’ll have to see what the landscape is six months, a year, from now. If we start losing schools, it could change the whole dynamic of the Big 12 Conference.”

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe hasn’t exactly inspired confidence as the SEC and Big Ten have pulled miles ahead of everyone with their mega-media contracts.

In that regard, I’m skeptical the Big 12 could ever catch up with the ultra-powerful and savvy Delany and the mighty SEC, which has won the past four BCS title games and seems to be gaining momentum by the minute, in large part because of its benchmark TV deal.

There’s a reason the SEC plays the best college football in the land. And there’s a reason the SEC and Big Ten have the most attractive bowl agreements. As always, follow the money.

Meanwhile, the Big 12’s situation obviously could deteriorate quickly if Colorado and Mizzou jumped ship. In addition to that scenario, The Lawrence (Kan.) Journal-World reported Thursday the Big Ten has engaged in “preliminary exchanges” with Texas. Previously, Missouri and Pittsburgh have been the most talked-about possibilities to become the league’s 12th team.

Missouri and Pitt are intriguing possibilities, while Texas obviously would be a grand slam moneymaker for the Big Ten.

If you’re a Nebraska fan, you should hope the Husker brass — Osborne, the chancellor and the Board of Regents — assumes an aggressive posture as opposed to lingering too long in wait-and-see mode while deals are being made.

Nebraska also should keep an open mind. For instance, if the Big Ten came calling — say it decided to add three teams — the Huskers ought to listen very closely, recruiting ramifications notwithstanding.

Nebraska all the while needs to understand its place in the world. Yes, dear old NU is loaded with tradition and prestige in athletics. But it fails to bring a huge TV market. And let’s face it, both the Big Ten and Pac-10 tend to look down their noses at NU in terms of academics. In other words, Big Red’s options may be limited.

As for the current Big 12, “We feel good about it,” Osborne said.

However, “I would have to say the center of gravity has moved south,” he said. “You’d have to say that trend to the south still continues to this day, which is a little concerning sometimes for people in the north part of the Big 12.”

Much more important issues loom. Colossal change in college football suddenly seems likely. It seems certain the Big Ten will expand, while Pac-10 expansion seems very possible. The strong and rich and well-positioned could thrive. The vulnerable could settle into abject irrelevancy.

“It’ll be interesting to see,” Osborne said. “It isn’t something I stay up at night worrying about. Everybody’s aware there may be some realignment. Nobody knows quite what’s going to happen. I’m sure Dan Beebe and others in the Big 12 are looking at this, too.”

Yeah, right, Beebe has it under control. Anybody else feel uneasy?

http://huskerextra.com/articles/2010/02/12/football/doc4b74caabd3d52924452790.txt

It really just comes down to money. The B12 is so far behind TV deals it isn't even funny.

extralife
02-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Why isn't the TV money there for the Big 12? It's a power conference with a huge traditional following, and Oklahoma or Texas have played in five of the last seven BCS title games. Odd.

DBroncos4life
02-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Why isn't the TV money there for the Big 12? It's a power conference with a huge traditional following, and Oklahoma or Texas have played in five of the last seven BCS title games. Odd.

I don't know. Texas was number one on Forbes top 12 most valuable teams in college footabll, Nebraska was fourth and OU was 10th.

http://www.businesspundit.com/the-12-most-valuable-teams-in-ncaa-football/
5 teams from the SEC, 3 from the B12, and 3 from the B10. I don't know if TV deals play a part of that or not. I do know that each team from the SEC gets a bunch of money from its TV deals and so do the Irish. I think each team from the SEC gets somewhere around 15 million dollars a year for the contract that they have with CBS. I can't really think of any other way that the GameCocks got so high on that list without TV deals being factored into it.

Pony Boy
02-12-2010, 07:12 PM
The Texas fans can drive to Dallas for the OU game, drive to Texas Tech, Baylor, Texas A&M and Okie State....... Do you realy think they will want to tailgate and pull those big BBQ smokers to to Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin....the alums with all the money are going to veto this .....

Tombstone RJ
02-12-2010, 09:35 PM
The money the SEC earns says otherwise. Also the SEC has beaten the Big12 in the NC games lately.

yah, ok fine. I still wish, hope and dream that if CU is stupid enough to leave the Big 12 then I want Arkansas to move into the Big 12!!

TexanBob
02-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Arkansas always had a big problem with the old Southwest Conference. Officials from Texas were allowed to work games with Texas schools (how could they not? Eight of the nine schools were in Texas) but officials from Arkansas were not allowed to work any games involving Arkansas. The folks in Pigland saw that as unfair which is part of the reason they bolted to the SEC. Even though old SWC schools represent only 1/3rd of Big 12 schools, I wouldn't be surprised if Arkansas still harbors some resentment over that. The SEC makes them more money but they do seem to have trouble getting the stature they used to have when they were part of the SWC. Their programs are competitive but just not better than the rest of the conference.

Tombstone RJ
02-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Arkansas always had a big problem with the old Southwest Conference. Officials from Texas were allowed to work games with Texas schools (how could they not? Eight of the nine schools were in Texas) but officials from Arkansas were not allowed to work any games involving Arkansas. The folks in Pigland saw that as unfair which is part of the reason they bolted to the SEC. Even though old SWC schools represent only 1/3rd of Big 12 schools, I wouldn't be surprised if Arkansas still harbors some resentment over that. The SEC makes them more money but they do seem to have trouble getting the stature they used to have when they were part of the SWC. Their programs are competitive but just not better than the rest of the conference.

Coach Patrino will fix all that.

TexanBob
02-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Coach Patrino will fix all that.

I'm not sure. It seems the SEC has established a tier system.

Top tier: Florida, Alabama, LSU
Next tier: Georgia, Tennessee
Bottom tier: Everyone else. Just check the recruiting from year to year and you can see which schools dominate.

SureShot
02-13-2010, 06:33 PM
yah, ok fine. I still wish, hope and dream that if CU is stupid enough to leave the Big 12 then I want Arkansas to move into the Big 12!!

Arkansas will never leave. They get $17mil/yr from the SEC, UT received $10mil from the Big 12 let alone the bad taste that the SWC left in their mouth.

24champ
02-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Colorado fans shouldn't pack their golf clubs for Pac-10 road trips just yet. The Big 12 requires two years notice by an exiting team with a penalty of 50 percent of the league cut for those two years in limbo.

"Well, certainly. Any time that you are looking at a financial penalty moving from the Big 12 to the Pac-10, that certainly has to come into play," CU chancellor Phil DiStefano said Friday.

Earlier this week, the Pac-10 said it was looking to expand, and CU is one of the schools that has been mentioned as a possible candidate.

DiStefano and CU athletic director Mike Bohn emphasized there is no dissatisfaction with the Big 12.

"As we're thinking about that decision, we have to look obviously at revenue
Colorado Football and expenses," DiStefano said. "The revenue that we would bring in either by staying in the Big 12 or moving to the Pac-10 and what the expenses would be and certainly the upfront expense of moving from the Big 12 to the Pac-10."

While he hasn't gone over specifics of the Big 12 handbook, DiStefano said: "It would certainly factor into any decision we would make about moving out of the conference."

The Big 12 distributed $130.1 million to its members a year ago, according to league spokesman Bob Burda. BCS bowls, TV revenue, conference basketball and NCAA basketball tournaments combine for the wealth. Actual payouts vary by school depending on postseason participation, along with TV appearances.

While CU hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament or money-making bowls of late, Bohn said the Buffs made the fifth-most TV appearances of any school in the country two years ago.

One factor weighing for the Pac-10 is CU's alumni presence on the West Coast. According to CU's alumni office, there are 29,096 known alums in California and 15,245 combined in the other three Pac-10 states.

Any game in the Pac-10 would create an opportunity for alumni events and fundraising.

"Our alumni base is stronger in the Pac-10 areas than in the Big 12," DiStefano said. "That's certainly something to consider, especially when the team travels."

DiStefano said at this point there have been no studies to compare Big 12/Pac-10 revenue flow.

With both conferences looking ahead to new television pacts, the chancellor said: "What's going on today might be very different from what will go on tomorrow as far as revenue from television."

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14393700#ixzz0ffJLm5sB

Looks like the PAC-10 already has contacted CU...if you read between the lines here.

Mountain Bronco
02-16-2010, 08:31 AM

LSU is not leaving the SEC. Back to earth there folks, lets keep this in the realm of earth ok.

Also, why would Mizzou leave the big12 for the pac 10?

Doggcow
02-16-2010, 09:21 AM
LSU is not leaving the SEC. Back to earth there folks, lets keep this in the realm of earth ok.

Rofl yeah. Why would LSU bother to leave the SEC? They got a good thing going there and pretty much everyone agrees the SEC is the premier conference when it comes to football.

Pony Boy
02-16-2010, 09:32 AM

It will never happen but it has been kick around
Just spotted an interesting thread at Tigerdroppings about this.

Ouote:
If it wasn't clear after the screw job at Florida and LSU's misfortune Saturday night at Bama, any team in the SEC will never get a fair shake against either of those two schools in a close game.
I know for a fact that LSU has been getting hosed for years against Bama in close games with the refs home cookin.
It's one thing for the hogs to move to the Big 12 but if you factor in a move by us and the Tigers that would make it a whole new ball game and the Big12 would become THE premier conference in the country.
If the Big 12 drops Baylor (a perfect fit for C-USA) and Iowa State, move the hogs to the Big 12 North and LSU to the South things would get very interesting.
Think about it, we have much more in common with Texas, Missourri etc than we do with Florida, Bama, Georgia etc. Talking to some Tiger fans tonight they feel about the same with much more in common with South and Central Texas.
With this new "Super Conference" the SEC type money would certainly be there for both schools.