PDA

View Full Version : OT - I was in my 1st Earth Quake this morning

broncosteven
02-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Not sure how big a news story this is but there was a 3.8 EarthQuake in the Chicago area this morning at about 3:30am.

I actually couldn't sleep at all last night due to the nerve damage in my neck I finally got up just before 3am and went down to my office in the basement and was typing up some documentation.

At around 3:30-4am I heard a rumble behind me and then felt shaking and then what must have been the shock wave came through and shook my desk around pretty good.

At the time I had no clue what it was, I never been in an earthquake before and I figured I either took too many meds or it was a micro burst and somehow the wind did it.

I got upstairs the fastest that I could and the wife and kids were asleep and everything in the house and outside seemed in order.

At this point I thought it was my mind playing a trick on me.

I went back to work and around 5am went back to bed. When the wife got up around 5:30 I turned on the TV to find it was an Earth Quake.

I can't imagine what it was like in Haiti when the big one hit. That or what those of you in California go through.

I know there is a fault out where this one started but one never expects to encounter one out here in the midwest.

Dagmar
02-10-2010, 01:51 PM
I got the AP report about that this morning, glad it wasn't anything serious. I was in Chicago a few months back, my first thought was what it would be like at the top of the Hancock building if they felt it there!

That One Guy
02-10-2010, 01:54 PM
I was in a 7. something in Washington a few years back. Some fat kid (like, huge!) was walking across the floor and I thought he was the one doing it. It seems the thing ends before it clicks what happened.

Definitely a unique experience.

Beantown Bronco
02-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I actually couldn't sleep at all last night due to the nerve damage in my neck I finally got up just before 3am and went down to my office in the basement and was typing up some documentation.

Nice. Now every time I go to look at p0rn on the Net, I'm going to refer to it as "typing up some documentation."

brncs_fan
02-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Welcome to the club Steven. We had one downstate about two years ago. Woke me up but didn't do any damage.

I did figure out what was going on while it was happening but I was also not dealing with any nerve damage either.

broncosteven
02-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Nice. Now every time I go to look at p0rn on the Net, I'm going to refer to it as "typing up some documentation."

LOL!

I actually stayed away from the InteRneTs because I didn't want to post under the influence of ambien here again.

Dagmar
02-10-2010, 02:06 PM
LOL!

I actually stayed away from the InteRneTs because I didn't want to post under the influence of ambien here again.

*searches all posts by broncosteven for ambien related shenanigans*

worm
02-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Should I text "Chicago" to 60601?

SonOfLe-loLang
02-10-2010, 02:14 PM
3.8 :) ha

Rohirrim
02-10-2010, 02:28 PM
3.8s are just good for giggles. Anything over a 6 (I've been in several) will really get your attention.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-10-2010, 02:38 PM
3.8s are just good for giggles. Anything over a 6 (I've been in several) will really get your attention.

even 5's do...especially with the quake proof swaying buildings we have here

Anaximines
02-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Weird experience indeed. I moved to CA from Oklahoma 1.5 years ago and had my first shortly thereafter (a 4.0). Heard OKC got one around that size 3-4 weeks ago. Very unusual.

Jason in LA
02-10-2010, 02:41 PM
I don't think that a 3.8 counts as an earthquake. ;D I have a lot of friends who are not from California. We had a few small earthquakes last year and they were all going nuts, like they had experienced something. I was like you haven't felt anything until you felt a big one. The last big one we had here in LA was the Northridge quake back in '94 I think. That one was crazy.

Archer81
02-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Weird experience indeed. I moved to CA from Oklahoma 1.5 years ago and had my first shortly thereafter (a 4.0). Heard OKC got one around that size 3-4 weeks ago. Very unusual.

There is a fault line that runs south of St Louis. The New Madrid Fault. There is also one in SW Colorado into NM. They are all over the place.

:Broncos:

brncs_fan
02-10-2010, 06:22 PM
There is a fault line that runs south of St Louis. The New Madrid Fault. There is also one in SW Colorado into NM. They are all over the place.

They have actually been working on STL to make it more resistant to earthquakes since they have been told that a massive earthquake is a certainty and really only a matter of time. Legend has it that last time that fault let go it set the Mississippi flowing backwards for a minute and rang the bells in Boston.

Archer81
02-10-2010, 06:45 PM
They have actually been working on STL to make it more resistant to earthquakes since they have been told that a massive earthquake is a certainty and really only a matter of time. Legend has it that last time that fault let go it set the Mississippi flowing backwards for a minute and rang the bells in Boston.

Not a rumor. Churchbells went off in NYC, Philadelphia and Boston, and the Mississippi ran backwards. It freaked the locals out because they thought it was armageddon. There are fault lines all over North America. People should not be surprised if they get a trembler.

broncosteven
02-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Not a rumor. Churchbells went off in NYC, Philadelphia and Boston, and the Mississippi ran backwards. It freaked the locals out because they thought it was armageddon. There are fault lines all over North America. People should not be surprised if they get a trembler.

That's easy to say until it happens.

broncosteven
02-10-2010, 06:48 PM
*searches all posts by broncosteven for ambien related shenanigans*

Ask Montrose. I had 2 bad posts, I deleted one and publicly apologized for the other.

Dagmar
02-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Ask Montrose. I had 2 bad posts, I deleted one and publicly apologized for the other.

At least it wasn't like poor atomicbloke who got his account hijacked!

ksBRONCOfan
02-10-2010, 07:37 PM

I believe you identified the epicenter of the quake.

KevinJames
02-10-2010, 10:37 PM
no cutler caused the earthquake jokes?? ....... OM you disappoint me today

baja
02-10-2010, 11:37 PM
The San Andraes fault ends in the Sea of Cortez near Cabo.

OBF1
02-11-2010, 12:23 AM
3.8, I would not even consider posting about that.... Wait until you have surfed at 6.7 or better, then talk to me.

uk bronco
02-11-2010, 01:19 AM
been in one earthquake a few years ago was about the same size woke up cos stuff was falling of my shelves it was weird i thought it was the wind then found out the next day it was a quake

That One Guy
02-11-2010, 03:04 AM

If you do that during an earthquake, does that take the personal effort out of it? You just get to sit there and the earth does all the work?

If I could time up some mommy and daddy time for during an earthquake, that'd be awesome. My wife would think I'm god... and we could both just lay there and enjoy it.

Wow... that sounds like an intriguing new invention... the earthquake bed...

Beantown Bronco
02-11-2010, 06:39 AM
If you do that during an earthquake, does that take the personal effort out of it? You just get to sit there and the earth does all the work?

If I could time up some mommy and daddy time for during an earthquake, that'd be awesome. My wife would think I'm god... and we could both just lay there and enjoy it.

Wow... that sounds like an intriguing new invention... the earthquake bed...

New invention? You, my friend, are clearly not going to the right highway off-ramp motels.

baja
02-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Ya he'll buy up all the motels on route 2.

Beantown Bronco
02-11-2010, 07:45 AM
Ya he'll buy up all the motels on route 2.

!Booya!

The good part is, there's usually already a hypodermic needle waiting in the bed for you so it's easier to take that shot of penicillin that you'll need after staying there.

baja
02-11-2010, 07:51 AM
!Booya!

The good part is, there's usually already a hypodermic needle waiting in the bed for you so it's easier to take that shot of penicillin that you'll need after staying there.

Actually when you get out in Western mass. Route 2 is a very pretty drive.