PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Orangemane Mock Draft Set-up Discussion Thread

brncs_fan
02-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Excactly what the thread says. We need to get this thing going and get some posters on some teams. I know we have a couple people here who have run this before that would be really good at doing it again.

It would also be nice if we could lock down and start date and time, as well as revisiting some rule changes from last year and any other changes that we may need to make.

Let's keep this to discussion about the mock draft first. Later we can go through the process of who gets what teams.

Some thoughts from last year:

1. Newbies posters should be made to wait in line. This is not to say that they can't do the job, but it seemed like we had a lot of people with >100 posts getting teams and making really bad picks or making one or two selections and then disappearing. Lets focus on getting people who have been solid drafters in the past teams first.

2. I really like the idea of posters having "their" teams. It is a lot of work for people who do this every year to have to research a new team every year to the level needed to make solid picks for their needs.

3. I like a 12 hour time limit all the way through the draft. If you check it at 8:00 am before you leave for work and again before after dinner, you should not miss your pick. If you know you may be gone, then email the Commish and let him know who you want at your pick. These things tend to loose momentum too quickly and last year was really bad with missed picks and people not knowing who was picked (raises hand).

Those are my thoughts. What are yours?

ColoradoBuff
02-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Those are all good thoughts! Sounds like a plan to me!

BowlenBall
02-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Excactly what the thread says. We need to get this thing going and get some posters on some teams. I know we have a couple people here who have run this before that would be really good at doing it again.

It would also be nice if we could lock down and start date and time, as well as revisiting some rule changes from last year and any other changes that we may need to make.

Let's keep this to discussion about the mock draft first. Later we can go through the process of who gets what teams.

Some thoughts from last year:

1. Newbies posters should be made to wait in line. This is not to say that they can't do the job, but it seemed like we had a lot of people with >100 posts getting teams and making really bad picks or making one or two selections and then disappearing. Lets focus on getting people who have been solid drafters in the past teams first.

2. I really like the idea of posters having "their" teams. It is a lot of work for people who do this every year to have to research a new team every year to the level needed to make solid picks for their needs.

3. I like a 12 hour time limit all the way through the draft. If you check it at 8:00 am before you leave for work and again before after dinner, you should not miss your pick. If you know you may be gone, then email the Commish and let him know who you want at your pick. These things tend to loose momentum too quickly and last year was really bad with missed picks and people not knowing who was picked (raises hand).

Those are my thoughts. What are yours?

I agree on all points:

1) Fill up the slots with regular posters who participated last year. There were a few people who consistently missed their picks and even stopped drafting by round five or six altogether -- bump them for some new blood.

2) Although I don't particularly want to draft for the 49ers again, I think that people who participated last year in mock draft #1 and want to keep the same team should have first preference for that team again this year. The only exception to this would be the Broncos -- I propose that we have a lottery among previous participants in good standing who want to pick for them.

3) Agree that the maximum time limit for the first 3-4 rounds should be 12 hours per pick, although that might need to be reduced in the later rounds to get all the picks in on time.

I'd also like to add the following:

4) Include comp picks, which are usually awarded in early to mid-March. If the mock draft gets to the end of round 3 before the comp picks are awarded, suspend the draft until that time, then start up again with the correct draft order afterwards. Makes the mock draft much more realistic, in my opinion.

5) Leave time for the UDFA round at the end of the draft -- strangely, I enjoy this part of it as much as the first 7 rounds, because there's always so much talent left unpicked. (I volunteer to run this portion of it again, if that's OK with everyone)

JCMElway
02-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Um, I have a sign up sheet in both forums. Does that work for everyone here?

ColoradoBuff
02-12-2010, 03:30 PM

Works for me bud!:thumbsup:

brncs_fan
02-12-2010, 08:50 PM

Sorry commish. I started this thread the same day that you started the other two threads. I was just excited about doing the mock again this year so I thought I would get some discussion going about it while we waited for someone to take it a run with it again.

You do a great job with the mock draft and can't wait for it to get started.

BowlenBall
02-13-2010, 02:03 AM
Sorry commish. I started this thread the same day that you started the other two threads. I was just excited about doing the mock again this year so I thought I would get some discussion going about it while we waited for someone to take it a run with it again.

You do a great job with the mock draft and can't wait for it to get started.

Yep -- like brncs_fan, I'm just excited to get this thing going, it's a real high point of the year for me, football-wise. The purpose of this thread is to just spitball the dynamics of the OM mock draft and see if we can learn from issues we've had in years past, I suppose.

Logistically speaking, here's what we're looking at:

1. The NFL Combine goes from February 24th to March 2nd, meaning our start date will either be the evening of the 2nd or the morning of the 3rd, most likely.

2. The first day of the real draft is on Thursday, April 22nd at 7:30 Eastern. If we leave three days or so for a UDFA round, that means we should finish with the draft proper on Monday, April 19th or so.

3. That gives us roughly 42 days to make 256 picks (give or take a day). Let's see... 256 picks divided by 42 days = roughly 6 picks per day. Seems doable, as we'll have some days where 10+ picks are made.

The killer is when someone sits on the clock for 12 full hours, then makes their pick in the late evening, delaying the subsequent pick until the next morning. Too many of those, and we'll run into the same problem we had last year where we were only halfway through the 6th round with less than a week to go, and had to switch to a "Chinese fire drill" format where everyone was on the clock simultaneously.

The solution, as always:

1) get your picks in early (don't use the full 12 hours);

2) check the site regularly if your pick is coming up; and

3) if you think you're going to be unavailable when it's your turn, PM your pick to someone else, so they can get it in for you.

BowlenBall
02-13-2010, 02:18 AM
A little more data for logistical planning:

1. The coin flip for draft order will be done during the combine, so no problems there.

2. The compensatory picks will be awarded at or after the NFL Annual Meeting, being held from March 21 to March 24 this year -- the first possible comp pick will be at #97 (end of the third round). We'll definitely be that far along by that date, so we might as well make plans in advance on how we'll deal with it.

JCMElway
02-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Bump. See thread on main page for response.