PDA

View Full Version : NFLN pursuing Berman

dbfan21
02-09-2010, 08:30 AM
I know Berman doesn't have a TON of fans on this board, but what would you think if he left ESPN for the NFL Network? Personally, I'd like it as I am not a huge fan of ESPN and like what Berman has done with his football commentary over the years.

Chris Berman, one of ESPN’s longest tenured on-air talents, is being heavily pursued by the NFL Network, a source tells The Big Lead. According to the source, the NFL Network is putting the full court press on Berman – whose contract expires May 10, on his 55th birthday – and it isn’t a sure thing that he’ll return to Bristol. ESPN PR had no comment.

If Berman were to move to the NFL Network, it would reunite him with longtime ESPN associate Steve Bornstein, who rose in the ranks alongside Berman in the 80s. A separate source says that Berman and Bornstein – currently President of the NFL Network – are very close, having known each other for almost 30 year.

The question for Berman is simple: Will the lure of more money for less work trump Berman’s love for baseball and the significantly broader audience at ESPN? In addition to Berman’s NFL duties at ESPN, he’s been calling the Home Run Derby for over 20 years and occasionally calls baseball games for the network as well as hosts Baseball Tonight from time-to-time. Two years ago, ESPN VP of production Norby Williamson said of Berman, “He is our most important person, he is the face of ESPN.”

ESPN has lost two other significant on-air talents in recent years – Dan Patrick left for Sports Illustrated (and a radio show, and NBC) in 2007, and Peter Gammons left for the MLB Network late last year.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/02/08/chris-berman-is-being-heavily-pursued-by-the-nfl-network-would-he-leave-espn/

Doggcow
02-09-2010, 08:31 AM
I like Berman

dbfan21
02-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Apparently Direct TV is making a run at him too.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/source-berman-is-considering-move-to-direct-tv-27805

:espnsux:

Dagmar
02-09-2010, 08:35 AM
I like Berman

:thumbsup:

oubronco
02-09-2010, 08:35 AM
He's Rumblin Bumblin Stumblin to the bank

Killericon
02-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Karma for Schefter.

Flex Gunmetal
02-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Someones gotta replace sapp, and what's gonna happen to irvin?

gtown
NFLN is retarded. This would only complete the circle. I am hoping that if Berman goes he can take the one-eyed booyeah! freak with him, as well as the following flavaclowns:

Tony Kornholer (Farve Slurper Extraordinaire)
Lee Corso (The Dick Vitale of College Football)
Sean Salisbury (douche, idiot, pervert, idiot)
Mike and Mike (ambiguously gay? More like obviously gay), and
Stephan A Smith (a waste of a human being).

Br0nc0Buster
whoop!

dbfan4life
02-09-2010, 08:42 AM
I like Berman. TJ should be part of the package, though.

BigPlayShay
02-09-2010, 08:48 AM
I like Berman. TJ should be part of the package, though.

Agreed. If those 2 could take over for the NFL Gameday Final show and get rid of Deion, and Eisen (Mooch can stay), that would be great.

BigPlayShay
02-09-2010, 08:50 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3TLG_LtWhj4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3TLG_LtWhj4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

backup qb
02-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Berman is an idiot, not to mention not the least bit funny. NFLN will go down the tube the more they start importing the talking heads from ESPN.

backup qb
02-09-2010, 08:56 AM
That excludes TJ and Steve Young. I would love for them to both come to NFLN.

Kaylore
02-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Berman doesn't make up for losing Schefter. That Redskins reporter they have doing the around league stuff is boring as dry wall.

Doggcow
02-09-2010, 09:01 AM
NFLN is retarded. This would only complete the circle. I am hoping that if Berman goes he can take the one-eyed booyeah! freak with him, as well as the following flavaclowns:

What's funnier, is this guy actually goes to ESPN for unbiased and disinterested Journalism.

That's like a Jew going to Germany and being like "WTF Hitler sucks!"

Hercules Rockefeller
02-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Berman hasn't been funny for 20 years

Chris
02-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Sleazeball.

BarefootKicker
02-09-2010, 10:03 AM
So, do you think the NFLN people went up to Berman at the Super Bowl and said... "You're with me, leather"?

ColoradoDarin
02-09-2010, 10:04 AM
So the NFLN wants me to watch their programming less? I've started putting ESPN back in rotation when Schefter was hired. Maybe they will completely switch TV personalities - especially Mayock for Hairdouche - and then I can watch ESPN all the time and cut NFLN out? No, we're going to end up with equally crappy programming on both networks.

Thanks whoever runs NFLN, you'd give up respectable, good football coverage aimed at REAL football fans in order to get the masses, the stupid back, back, baaaaaaaaaaaaack, gone masses. Rumblin, stumblin, bumblin. Whoooooop! Masses. Berman's about 2 IQ points above retard.

Rock Chalk
02-09-2010, 10:29 AM

How can you not like Mel Brooks (aka Lee Corso)?

Hercules Rockefeller
02-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Am I the only person here who doesn't watch the NFLN anyways? There's just not enough "new" programming for it to be worthwhile.

I'd rather watch the NHLN over NFLN anyday.

ColoradoDarin
02-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Am I the only person here who doesn't watch the NFLN anyways? There's just not enough "new" programming for it to be worthwhile.

I'd rather watch the NHLN over NFLN anyday.

I don't watch TA every night, but the last few years I've watched their Sunday pregame, some of the combine coverage, the draft and camp reports. I have no loyalty to them, if ESPN hires better people (Schefter was a big get) I have no problem going back to ESPN.

OBF1
02-09-2010, 10:50 AM
please say no to Berman

HEAV
02-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Boomer also does baseball for the ESPN.

I like Boomer and I really miss NFL Primetime, growing up in Ohio it was the only way to see Broncos highlights (before the internet).

It would be weird to see Boomer on another network.

Pick Six
02-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Berman has been seemingly pushed aside on ESPN. I barely notice he's even with the network. Going to NFLN should be a good move for him...

dbfan21
02-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Berman has been seemingly pushed aside on ESPN. I barely notice he's even with the network. Going to NFLN should be a good move for him...

I think you barely notice him because of the overflow of other personalities they have on their NFL coverage team. TJ, Ditka, Young, Key, Scott, Jaws, Hoge, Wingo, Stink, Werder, Clayton, Sal Paol, Chucky, Tirico, the list goes on and on.

I don't know why people have such disdain for the guy. I realize he's been a bit cliche over the years, but that's how he's recognized. While he does silly stuff, he knows his football and he's such a fan of the game. He doesn't bother me at all.

When it comes down to it, I will watch whichever station does features on the Broncos. So whether it's ESPN, NFL Network or some other channel, I have no loyalty/favorite.