PDA

View Full Version : Dungy 'Shocked' That Colts Lost

HEAV
02-09-2010, 04:50 AM
Tony Dungy said last week that he would be shocked if his former team, the Colts, lost Super Bowl XLIV to the Saints. And after it happened, the retired coach told Dan Patrick on Monday morning that he was, indeed, surprised the Colts lost and that they managed to score just 17 points.

“I expected the Colts to score touchdowns and put 30 points on the board,” Dungy said on Patrick’s syndicated radio show. “They only put up 17. I was pretty shocked.”

The Colts were driving for a chance to tie the score in the fourth quarter Sunday, but Saints CB Tracy Porter intercepted Peyton Manning’s pass and returned it 74 yards for a touchdown that sealed New Orleans’ first Super Bowl title. Manning — whose all-time playoff record dropped to 9-9 — and Dungy struggled for years in the postseason before breaking through and beating the Rex Grossman-led Bears in Super Bowl XLI.

Manning and the Colts, in Dungy’s eyes, had experience on their side against the Saints.

“I just thought it would probably be New Orleans that made the big mistake,” Dungy said. “It ended up being the Colts that made the big mistake.”

Dungy believed the key was not the plays the Saints made but rather some of the plays the Colts didn’t.

“I thought the onside kick probably changed the momentum a little bit,” Dungy said. “But the biggest play of the game for me was in the second quarter when the Colts were up 10-3 and Pierre Garcon, it was a third-down pass. Had Pierre caught the ball, they would have probably gone ahead, moved on and maybe go ahead 13-3 or possibly 17-3, and that’s the one that allowed New Orleans back in it.”

----------

Is it me or is Dungy kinda throwing some people under the bus.

The MVPlaya
02-09-2010, 04:58 AM
He'll probably have a lot of Colts bias. Pretty normal - but that Pierre Garcon play was huge and you could feel it.

chrisp
02-09-2010, 05:38 AM
Is it me or is Dungy kinda throwing some people under the bus.

Don't think so, I think he's just speaking the truth.

For most of the first half, the Saints defense didn't do anything very special, mainly it was Colts drops and miscues that stopped a lot of their drives. Totally agree that the Failed garcon pass was huge.

Plus I don't think Tony Dungy is the kind of guy to stick the knife in - at the end of the day he retired, so he can't be bitter about the team or the guys that replaced him. One thing about being retired though, is that you can speak your mind and no longer have to worry about politics - I think that's all he's doing here.

The wierd thing is, the game couldn't have started any better for the Colts, then the odd miscue popped up here and there and I really think that let the Saints back in. having said that the saints jumped all over the chance they got and fully deserved the win at the end of the day. I just think that without those early mistakes, the Colts have a bigger points cushion and more belief in themselves in the 4th quarter and the game ends very differently.

Manning's a machine, but so much of that defense run through him he only need that microsecond of doubt or uncertainty to end up picking the wrong audible or throwing the ball a shade away from where it needs to be.

TailgateNut
02-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Manning's a machine, .

Yep, he looked like a machine which had some serious Hydraulic pressure issues during the fourth quarter...ROFL!

2KBack
02-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Dungy's the media now, it's his job to throw guys under the bus. The relationship with the team just makes it seem a little meaner than it is.

Kaylore
02-09-2010, 08:14 AM
I was shocked. I thought Manning was going to march down the field in the fourth quarter with 5 minutes and two time outs like he always does and tie and then eventually win the game.

_Oro_
02-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Yes, it was all Garcon's fault.

DeuceOfClub
02-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Manning playoff record is now 9-9 which still slightly better than Dungy's (9-10)

Blart
02-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Elway, playoffs: 14-8

Doggcow
02-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Elway, playoffs: 14-8

Playoffs don't matter. Just ask Chargers fans.... LOL

KCStud
02-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Colts win that game if Bob Sanders and Athony Gonzalez are playing...

Rohirrim
02-09-2010, 11:17 AM

Be sure to send that one to Payaton. He's looking for excuses. :thumbsup:

Dr. Broncenstein
02-09-2010, 11:21 AM
I heard on Sirius that the Colts only had eight posessions. That is truly impressive.

KCStud
02-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Be sure to send that one to Payaton. He's looking for excuses. :thumbsup:

Nah I'm just a huge Bob Sanders fan. He really is one of the best :thumbs:

Crushaholic
02-09-2010, 11:38 AM

I wondered why they never called Bob Sanders' name. That Colts defense isn't nearly as effective with Sanders out. It's been that way for years...

Rohirrim
02-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Sanders wouldn't have stopped Porter's INT. ;D