PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want?

SportinOne
02-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Just a simple snapshot of the Mane before we get any deeper into the McNabb saga. I'm not talking about long term stuff here. The team needs a stop-gap QB until the next young guy is ready, whomever he may be.

If you were in charge of making this decision, what would you do?

bpc
02-08-2010, 08:23 PM
I'd rather have a young franchise QB.

I loved McNabb coming out of college. Reminded me a lot of Elway. As he's gotten older, he's become more fragile, won't run, and his arm strength and accuracy are tapering off.

If we pick him up, it's acknowledging that he's a stop gap, 2-3 year player most likely because of his injuries. He's breaking down at a McNair like pace.

It might buy us time to find a true answer though a la the Jets and compete in the meantime so barring an attrocious price, I would be okay with it.

BroncoMan4ever
02-08-2010, 08:37 PM
i say stick with Orton. more than likely we will draft our QBOTF this year and let him learn for a year.

i just don't think that McNabb in a new system for the 1st time in over a decade, with his injury past and rapidly declining skills will be an improvement over Orton in his 2nd season in this system.

Bigdawg26
02-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Yeah I'd rather draft a franchise Quarterback over both of them to be honest. But McNabb is twenty times better than Orton!

TheDave
02-08-2010, 08:41 PM
If it is just a stop gap then stay with Orton.

On the other hand, if he truly thinks he can win now with McNabb then go for it.

montrose
02-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Stay with Orton, he'll be in his 2nd year in the system and played pretty well to me before injuring his ankle - this behind an (in my mind) below-average OL negating the ability to run the ball. I'd like to see what he can do with an improved running game and increased knowledge of the offense.

Florida_Bronco
02-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Stick with Orton and acquire a young(er) guy to develop behind him. Preferably Brady Quinn, Jimmy Clausen or Kevin O'Connell. That said, I wouldn't exactly be unhappy if we got McNabb for a decent price.

Swedish Extrovert
02-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Braaaaaaaandstaaaaaaatteeeeeeeeer!

Or just stay with Orton and draft a dude. Yeah, that would be better.

TheReverend
02-08-2010, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't waste a single pick of THIS draft for any short term solution.

BroncoMan4ever
02-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Stick with Orton and acquire a young(er) guy to develop behind him. Preferably Brady Quinn, Jimmy Clausen or Kevin O'Connell. That said, I wouldn't exactly be unhappy if we got McNabb for a decent price.

I agree. my favorite course of action for this season would be let Orton go to work on possibly positioning himself to be the QB for us long term, while acquiring O'Connell. I figure if we can get O'Connell at the worst, we have Orton for a season and O'Connell to be waiting in the wings maturing and prepping to take over if necessary. Also, during this season with Orton and O'Connell in house we don't waste a pick on what I see as a weak QB class, and we get to 2011 where the class is better and get someone good if neither of Orton or O'Connell pan out.

BroncoMan4ever
02-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Braaaaaaaandstaaaaaaatteeeeeeeeer!

Or just stay with Orton and draft a dude. Yeah, that would be better.

if Brandstater starts, I am going to punch a baby

Durango
02-08-2010, 09:59 PM
I can't understand why this franchise would even consider trading for McNabb. The guy is worn down, still a good QB mind you, but so is Orton, and Kyle doesn't cost us any draft choices. Doesn't seem like a problematic choice unless you have ten draft choices and only 6 on your 'exclusive, well-scouted' draft board. Then, by all means, give 'em away. You can always give away the 2011 #1 if the urge strikes you.

Taco John
02-08-2010, 10:05 PM
If Josh McDaniels thinks that we can win a Superbowl next year, then he should trade for McNabb. If not, he should use the resources we have to build a team that can win a Superbowl as quickly as possible.

McDman
02-08-2010, 10:31 PM
McNabb is still a top 6-7 QB. He is not worn down and he is not that old. I do like Orton, but we really can't expect to win a Super Bowl with him.

Unfortunately, this is not the year to draft a QB, so I don't know what direction we go in.

maher_tyler
02-08-2010, 10:43 PM
If we want to win then we trade for McNabb..if we like watching 2-3 series in a row with a 3 and out, stick with Orton!

I'm gonna go with trading for McNabb!

maher_tyler
02-08-2010, 10:45 PM

Looked good the end of pre-season...yea i know its pre-season but still! He was getting better as it went along and thats what you want to see.

Durango
02-08-2010, 10:46 PM
McNabb is still a top 6-7 QB. He is not worn down and he is not that old. I do like Orton, but we really can't expect to win a Super Bowl with him.

Unfortunately, this is not the year to draft a QB, so I don't know what direction we go in.

The man has had broken fingers, broken wrists, torn up knees, ribs, shoulders, a sports hernia and even a tumor by the name of Terrell Owens.

Worn out? No. Worn down, definately.

BroncoMan4ever
02-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Looked good the end of pre-season...yea i know its pre-season but still! He was getting better as it went along and thats what you want to see.

BVP looked good in his preseason game a few years ago. who gives a damn what a guy looks like competing against 3rd and 4th stringers and guys who aren't even in the NFL anymore? also, it isn't like he faced elite talent while in college either. he has looked decent against mediocrity

strafen
02-08-2010, 11:16 PM
We need a young QB to develop.
While our team is still relatively young, we can't afford to keep putting off the decision to groom a QB.
The time is now!

strafen
02-08-2010, 11:17 PM
if Brandstater starts, I am going to punch a babyI feel the same way if Orton is still our QB...

Popps
02-08-2010, 11:25 PM
No trade for Cutler option?

broncocalijohn
02-09-2010, 12:11 AM
It does all matter on the trade. I dont think Eagles are looking at Orton. McNabb can play a couple of years and are we thinking that Brandstater is our QBOTF? McNabb is better than Orton and to me it all depends on who or what we have to give up. I would still want to pass on a high draft QB for this year. Orton or McNabb is still sufficient and we need help in other areas.

BroncoMan4ever
02-09-2010, 12:15 AM

i'll give a conditional pick based on how many INTs he ends up throwing. 6th if he throws for under 15, 7th if it is under 20, and a thank you from the Bears for taking that turd off their hands when he throws over 20.

DBroncos4life
02-09-2010, 12:19 AM

I'm curious to why you didn't/won't vote.

Crushaholic
02-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Orton knows the system. Stick with Orton....

bpc
02-09-2010, 01:30 AM

Hmmm, third, fourth time you've brought Cutler into discussions today in different threads when BRONCO fans are talking about the CURRENT state of the QB position on their team?

Desperate for attention? Or to deflect it?

Spin that one for us and tell us who has issues.

Thanks for playing.

UberBroncoMan
02-09-2010, 01:57 AM
I'd like to see us draft the QB out of Central Michigan - Dan LeFevour

Dump Simms. Move Brandstater to backup. Keep Orton.

That gives us three relatively young QB's to duke it out for the future.

extralife
02-09-2010, 02:01 AM
I think it'd be pretty cool (if quite stupid on their part) if the Eagles were willing to move Kolb and that was where our interest lied. He looked great for two games this year and he's young and ready. I'd be ok with McNabb if the price wasn't too high, but I don't know that I'm completely sold on the idea.

BroncoMan4ever
02-09-2010, 02:16 AM
I think it'd be pretty cool (if quite stupid on their part) if the Eagles were willing to move Kolb and that was where our interest lied. He looked great for two games this year and he's young and ready. I'd be ok with McNabb if the price wasn't too high, but I don't know that I'm completely sold on the idea.

i think we called and inquired about Kolb. trading for McNabb really makes no sense with this team not exactly being ready to compete for the super bowl. if we were like the Vikings and a QB away from being a legit threat then i would say go for it and bring in McNabb. but we are a team that has a lot of holes to fill, and with McNabb while he may be a better option this season, still puts the team in a position that we need to find our QBOTF.

Trading for Kolb on the other hand does make sense. he is still young, he is talented, he is going to be out to prove to the league he should have been starting for awhile now, and he fits the bill as the QB we need now and the QB for the future.

i say keep our picks and build up this team and draft a QB.

ZONA
02-09-2010, 02:24 AM

Well if he beats out Orton then the kid must be doing something good. We shall see.

BroncoMan4ever
02-09-2010, 02:45 AM
Well if he beats out Orton then the kid must be doing something good. We shall see.

if he ever starts a game with the Broncos for any other reason than our starter went down with injury, i will streak across the field at Invesco. that is how positive i am that he will never be anything more than a backup. he is going to be our version of Matt Cassell, or in Broncos terms, the Kubiak to Elway. always a backup and nothing more.

Drek
02-09-2010, 04:05 AM
What I'd like to do:

1. Sign Orton to a one year RFA tender at 1st round compensation.
2. Trade a late round pick to the Jets for Kevin O'Connell
3. Draft another late round QB like John Skelton out of Fordham.

Orton goes in as the starter, Brandstater and O'Connell give him competition as well as compete for the #2 job. Skelton is stashed on the practice squad for a season. See who impresses you the most.

Why O'Connell? McDaniels likely was involved with his selection out of NE (hence why they didn't retain him once McDaniels was gone) and he spent his rookie season as the #2 behind Cassel, so he knows the system. If Orton stumbles or gets hurt O'Connell would be as ready as Brandstater is right now to step in and make a difference, only O'Connell is a superior athletic talent with an extra year of NFL life under his belt.

If none of those three establish themselves this season we let the worst two of the three walk and do it again with the end of season starter, Skelton, another veteran and another rookie. Keep running that heavy QB churn until you find a true franchise guy, but keep the best you've got around while you're at it.

Always look to upgrade until you've got a real franchise star behind center.

Florida_Bronco
02-09-2010, 04:20 AM
What I'd like to do:

1. Sign Orton to a one year RFA tender at 1st round compensation.
2. Trade a late round pick to the Jets for Kevin O'Connell
3. Draft another late round QB like John Skelton out of Fordham.

Orton goes in as the starter, Brandstater and O'Connell give him competition as well as compete for the #2 job. Skelton is stashed on the practice squad for a season. See who impresses you the most.

Why O'Connell? McDaniels likely was involved with his selection out of NE (hence why they didn't retain him once McDaniels was gone) and he spent his rookie season as the #2 behind Cassel, so he knows the system. If Orton stumbles or gets hurt O'Connell would be as ready as Brandstater is right now to step in and make a difference, only O'Connell is a superior athletic talent with an extra year of NFL life under his belt.

If none of those three establish themselves this season we let the worst two of the three walk and do it again with the end of season starter, Skelton, another veteran and another rookie. Keep running that heavy QB churn until you find a true franchise guy, but keep the best you've got around while you're at it.

Always look to upgrade until you've got a real franchise star behind center.

Great idea, and I totally love the QB management philosophy there. I know you've been big on O'Connell since before McDaniels showed up here and from what I've read of him he was a physical freak who needed to be groomed for the pros.

With the Jets having Clemens and Sanchez, I doubt it'd be hard to snag O'Connell from them.

elsid13
02-09-2010, 04:47 AM
Great idea, and I totally love the QB management philosophy there. I know you've been big on O'Connell since before McDaniels showed up here and from what I've read of him he was a physical freak who needed to be groomed for the pros.

With the Jets having Clemens and Sanchez, I doubt it'd be hard to snag O'Connell from them.

Clemens is free agent that won't be resigned.

elsid13
02-09-2010, 04:49 AM
Right now, stick with Orton and figure out how to position this team for next year to snag one of the QB comes out. Next year could be bounty for young QBs.

Traveler
02-09-2010, 06:42 AM
No stop gap anything. Keep rebuilding from a long term point of view. Nuff said.

jhns
02-09-2010, 06:52 AM
I agree with McDaniels. Orton isn't good enough. I would trade for McNabb. He will give us a few good years. He is no more injury prone than Orton. He is far better than Orton. Screw getting a young QB to develope. McDaniels just gives those away. I would have to start cutting myself or something if he did it a second time. I can deal with McNabb being treated poorly and kicked to the curb in a year or two. I say we go for the stopgap McNabb and get a young QB when McD is gone.

TailgateNut
02-09-2010, 07:09 AM
First of all, send Simms down the road. That clown should have never been alowed to take a snap on the field, much less wear a Bronco uniform. He's a disgrace!

Second, keep Orton and develop a young QB for a few years. Orton performed well last year considering it was his first year, he faced a tough schedule as most would agree would have been a factor for any QB, he worked through a finger injury and an ankle injury.

And NO, I don't want ****ler back:wiggle:

RE: McNabb. We don't need to waste anything nor any time on him.

oubronco
02-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Rather trade for Kolb

PRBronco
02-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Has anyone seen the actual Sal Paulotanio article that caused all this hoopla? I can't find it, just a bunch of internetters referencing it.

elsid13
02-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Has anyone seen the actual Sal Paulotanio article that caused all this hoopla? I can't find it, just a bunch of internetters referencing it.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/83763757.html

f there is one day in the NFL year when we ought to be free of worrying about Donovan McNabb and the Eagles, it should be Super Bowl Sunday. Alas, such is not the case.

We've had reports today from ESPN folk who apparently have too much time on their hands, with their network not doing the game. Adam Schefter says teams have asked the Birds about all three of their quarterbacks and three teams have called about Michael Vick. Sal Paolantonio added that three teams -- Cleveland, Denver and Buffalo -- have had multiple conversations with the Eagles about Donovan McNabb.

Don't know the exact teams myself, but I understand there have been a lot of calls, many of them not about any QB in particular, just letting the Eagles know Team X is interested, should they look to deal any of their three. I'm also told nothing is anywhere close to happening, that all of the queries have been preliminary.

This last point canot be overemphasized. NOTHING IS ANYWHERE CLOSE TO HAPPENING.

As you know, Andy Reid has indicated McNabb will be the Eagles' QB in 2010, and McNabb has said this is his strong understanding, as well. Vick has said he would like to go somewhere where he could start, and a few days ago down at South Beach, McNabb endorsed that idea. Kevin Kolb has said he'd like to start, but is a team player, and so forth.

The Vick-to-St. Louis speculation makes a lot of sense to me.

A scource close to the situation thinks at least half a dozen teams ultimately will inquire about Kolb -- including Cleveland, where Tom Heckert, of course, is now the GM, working under Reid's mentor, Mike Holmgren. Almost any team looking to draft a QB this season would be smart to look into Kolb, who presumably wouldn't need several years of training to take over. This is not a great quarterback draft; if Kolb came out this year, he'd almost certainly be a first-rounder. Of course, with McNabb heading toward his 12th season and not under contract after 2010, trading Kolb would be quite a gamble for the Birds.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Super Bowl XLIV hoopla.

Kaylore
02-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Stay with Orton for at least a season or two.
Get rid of Simms.
Draft some good prospects and maybe sign another vet for competition.
Build up the offensive line so when whoever emerges as the starter is ready they can easily transition.

PRBronco
02-09-2010, 08:15 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/83763757.html

f there is one day in the NFL year when we ought to be free of worrying about Donovan McNabb and the Eagles, it should be Super Bowl Sunday. Alas, such is not the case.

We've had reports today from ESPN folk who apparently have too much time on their hands, with their network not doing the game. Adam Schefter says teams have asked the Birds about all three of their quarterbacks and three teams have called about Michael Vick. Sal Paolantonio added that three teams -- Cleveland, Denver and Buffalo -- have had multiple conversations with the Eagles about Donovan McNabb.
Don't know the exact teams myself, but I understand there have been a lot of calls, many of them not about any QB in particular, just letting the Eagles know Team X is interested, should they look to deal any of their three. I'm also told nothing is anywhere close to happening, that all of the queries have been preliminary.

This last point canot be overemphasized. NOTHING IS ANYWHERE CLOSE TO HAPPENING.

As you know, Andy Reid has indicated McNabb will be the Eagles' QB in 2010, and McNabb has said this is his strong understanding, as well. Vick has said he would like to go somewhere where he could start, and a few days ago down at South Beach, McNabb endorsed that idea. Kevin Kolb has said he'd like to start, but is a team player, and so forth.

The Vick-to-St. Louis speculation makes a lot of sense to me.

A scource close to the situation thinks at least half a dozen teams ultimately will inquire about Kolb -- including Cleveland, where Tom Heckert, of course, is now the GM, working under Reid's mentor, Mike Holmgren. Almost any team looking to draft a QB this season would be smart to look into Kolb, who presumably wouldn't need several years of training to take over. This is not a great quarterback draft; if Kolb came out this year, he'd almost certainly be a first-rounder. Of course, with McNabb heading toward his 12th season and not under contract after 2010, trading Kolb would be quite a gamble for the Birds.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Super Bowl XLIV hoopla.

Thanks, this is the closest I've seen to the actual source. Maybe they just mentioned it in a tv spot. I was hoping to find something in writing from one of them.

gtown
02-09-2010, 08:20 AM
If we get McNabb, McD would have to teach him the system, which takes a few years to grasp. How many years does McNabb have in him? With our shaky line, probably not many.

IMO: Years McNabb will need to become proficient with system > Years of good play McNabb has in him.

Stick with Orton, look hard at all QBs in the next few drafts, and BUILD THE LINES, so that if and when we get a young franchise QB, we have a nice cozy next for him to develop in. Look at what the Jets did for Sanchez. Even though he is not there yet, they set him up to succeed.

BroncoBuff
02-09-2010, 09:15 AM
McNabb is not an option really ... our choices are very limited. Orton is probably the best choice, with a first-day pick for a QBOTF.

Important to remember that this pick could/should have been available to be used on defense ... a year ago we had the QBOTF.

Doggcow
02-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Rather trade for Kolb

Kolb is an untouchable right now. Noone is going to pay what Philly will want due to him being a "?" right now.

TailgateNut
02-09-2010, 09:20 AM
McNabb is not an option really ... our choices are very limited. Orton is probably the best choice, with a first-day pick for a QBOTF.

Important to remember that this pick could/should have been available to be used on defense ... a year ago we had the QBOTF.

Ramsey???

Doggcow
02-09-2010, 09:20 AM

After watching the Superbowl Sunday, does anyone still truly believe Cutler can take a team to that level?

TailgateNut
02-09-2010, 09:22 AM
After watching the Superbowl Sunday, does anyone still truly believe Cutler can take a team to that level?

as a backup? Yes.

TheDave
02-09-2010, 09:27 AM

I think he has a significantly better chance than orton does...

and before the "we didn't trade orton for cutler" screams come in;

I think the combo of Cutler/Knox is superior to the combo of Orton/ayers/Smith/Quinn

Dedhed
02-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Sign Orton to a stop gap deal and draft for the future.

jhns
02-09-2010, 09:33 AM

In his 3rd-4th year with no team around him? No. After he is developed and on a team that actually has a team around him? Of course. He is a far better option than Orton or any other option we have this year.

Anyways, even McDaniels said Cutler is a good QB. He said Cutler was a big selling point for this job and that it would never be in the best interest of the team to trade him (which is why it is funny that he has people defending him, even he doesn't think it was smart).

Elway said he sees Cutler becoming a great QB and he didn't understand the move to Orton.

Shanahan believed he was turning Cutler into the next great QB.

I know, I know. You guys know QBs and QB play better than these 3.

Doggcow
02-09-2010, 09:40 AM
In his 3rd-4th year with no team around him? No. After he is developed and on a team that actually has a team around him? Of course. He is a far better option than Orton or any other option we have this year.

Anyways, even McDaniels said Cutler is a good QB. He said Cutler was a big selling point for this job and that it would never be in the best interest of the team to trade him (which is why it is funny that he has people defending him, even he doesn't think it was smart).

Elway said he sees Cutler becoming a great QB and he didn't understand the move to Orton.

Shanahan believed he was turning Cutler into the next great QB.

I know, I know. You guys know QBs and QB play better than these 3.

If every talented QB lived up to the hype, the HOF would be a very crowded place.

Plus, wtf is Elway supposed to say? "Cutler is still a gigantic p***Y, that may never become anything." ???

I never said Orton was a better option, and after watching the Superbowl am sure that Orton cannot get us there...

Drek
02-09-2010, 09:50 AM
No stop gap anything. Keep rebuilding from a long term point of view. Nuff said.

What is the point in that? Just throw the baby out with the bathwater huh?

We've got a good QB now that we can win games with if we give him a better interior OL, better running game (which will come with the improved interior OL) and a defense that doesn't get figured out and handled the second half of the season (primarily because its got a weak front three).

If we just add a legit LG to replace Hamilton and line up a legit alternative to Weigmann if he fails to deliver next year the offense will look significantly better. If we add just one legitimate play maker to the defensive line and give the talent on hand a second year to get more familiar with the 3-4 we should be better and more consistent on defense.

This is not the time to rebuild. Its time to win as much as we can while forcing the kind of roster-wide competition Shanahan always paid lip service to, and that includes our starting QB. Orton is the man until he either can't play or someone takes the job from him, and we actively look for that guy until we have reason not to.

FYI: reason not to is our starting QB establishing himself as a top 5 guy in the entire league.

Clemens is free agent that won't be resigned.

They also have Erik Ainge who was drafted under the current GM while Brian Schottenheimer was still the OC, and who spent the entire year as the #3 while O'Connell was the #4.

Its entirely possible they cut O'Connell this off-season anyhow and sign an experienced vet to replace Clemens. Even if they don't it probably wouldn't cost a lot to acquire O'Connell from them and he's as ready to go in this offense as anyone not named Tom Brady or Matt Cassel (who isn't an active member of the Broncos, obviously).

worm
02-09-2010, 09:53 AM
I am just excited to see what our very qualified QB coach can do with whatever quarterback talent we bring in.

I am SURE our QB coach has tons of wisdom to impart from his days as QB coach of Massillon Jackson High School and the help he will be able to provide a position that the Broncos want to invest new talent in will be immeasurable. ::)

PRBronco
02-09-2010, 10:02 AM
I am just excited to see what our very qualified QB coach can do with whatever quarterback talent we bring in.

I am SURE our QB coach has tons of wisdom to impart from his days as QB coach of Massillon Jackson High School and the help he will be able to provide a position that the Broncos want to invest new talent in will be immeasurable. ::)

Right... a superstar QB coach would push this team into Super Bowl contention. Quick! Name the Saints and Colts QB coaches! Oh wait, they're non-factors too. Relax guy.

worm
02-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Right... a superstar QB coach would push this team into Super Bowl contention. Quick! Name the Saints and Colts QB coaches! Oh wait, they're non-factors too. Relax guy.

The grandson of Vince Lombardi is the Saints QB coach FWIW (which isn't much)....and where did I ever say that a QB coach would push this team into SB contention? You are as dramatic as a chick.

More to the point though....do you really think Brees and Peyton need a QB coach now as much as a rookie would coming into the league?

Yeah, I still place value on position coaches in the NFL...ESPECIALLY when learning a new scheme or rooks are involved. For example, I am stoked we have Nunnely coaching the DL when we invest (hopefully) in that position this year.

Drek
02-09-2010, 10:30 AM
The grandson of Vince Lombardi is the Saints QB coach FWIW (which isn't much)....and where did I ever say that a QB coach would push this team into SB contention? You are as dramatic as a chick.

More to the point though....do you really think Brees and Peyton need a QB coach now as much as a rookie would coming into the league?

Yeah, I still place value on position coaches in the NFL...ESPECIALLY when learning a new scheme or rooks are involved. For example, I am stoked we have Nunnely coaching the DL when we invest (hopefully) in that position this year.

People start in the league somewhere, you do realize that right? Not everyone who works in the NFL is a former player or coach from another organization.

A LOT of guys come to the NFL from college, but a good number of positional guys come from the high school ranks. Our QB coach happens to come from the high school ranks, after being a collegiate player and grad student. Its not like we hired someone who has never even been around football.

If he's got a good football mind then now is a great time for Josh McDaniels to start grooming him, as McDaniels is still going to be very hands on with the offense and we do still have an offensive coordinator working on this team, who happened to be both the OC and QB coach last season. They aren't replacing a veteran with a newcomer, they're just adding a newcomer, one with solid pedigree for the the level of position he's been hired to fill.

Two highly regarded young OCs in the NFL now from the Shanahan tree both cut their teeth in the league through similar means. Jeremy Bates played QB in college at Rice and from there went to the Bucs where he was an offensive QA/QC assistant for two years before becoming QB coach. Kyle Shanahan played WR in college, was a graduate assistant at UCLA, spent two seasons as an offensive QA/QC assistant and then became the WRs coach of the Texans.

Ben McDaniels has actually been a QB coach at some level and spent all of one season less than either of those two before being moved up to a position coach position. In fact, unlike Bates he actually did a grad program at a D1A school.

DrFate
02-09-2010, 11:32 AM
As this franchise is looking at a rebuilding period, it makes no sense to get an older QB who is on the slide.

BroncoMan4ever
02-09-2010, 12:10 PM
i keep seeing a lot of posts talking about signing Orton to a cap friendly short term stop gap deal to lead us for a couple seasons until we groom someone. but realistically after this season, it is highly unlikely the Orton is back in Denver.

so many are saying he is nothing, McDaniels made him, that he will end up having to settle for a minimal deal hear or go be a backup somewhere else. But in this league, teams are always looking out for an upgrade. Orton isn't flashy, but he wins games, he doesn't put teams into positions to lose, he is a great leader and if you give the guy some protection and help, good things will happen.

and in a league where Matt Cassell got a 63 million dollar deal, Derek Anderson got a good deal, after both of those guys having just 1 good season, it is likely that Orton can expect to get an offer like that from a team looking for a new QB.

look at Cassell. very similar question marks surrounded him as do Orton. McDaniels made him, would he be anything without his former coach, limited starting experience. he got paid for 1 good year. Orton has done it longer and has a good record as a starter. he will get paid well.

too many are undervaluing the guy. If we don't sign him for a good deal, long term before the end of next season, he will be gone in 2011.

the reason i bring this up, if we want to have a good veteran option leading the team while a rookie is groomed, we need to get that rookie this year, because after the 2010 season we won't have the option of having a guy like Orton as a stop gap for a year.