PDA

View Full Version : Some Broncos remain in dark about 2009 collapse

oubronco
02-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Some Broncos remain in dark about 2009 collapse

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_14350361

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. A month of distance from the disappointing end of the Broncos' 2009 season has not provided any more clarity for veteran players about what went wrong, about how a team that started 6-0 could finish 8-8 and out of the playoffs.

"Just lots of time thinking about what could have happened and what should have happened, and then having to explain to people, that how, after we got off to such a great start, what happened," said defensive end Vonnie Holliday, here in South Florida to enjoy the Super Bowl festivities. "No, it's not clear."

Though coach Josh McDaniels said several weeks ago he had no desire to watch the playoffs not with his team sidelined Holliday and running back LaMont Jordan, who also was in town, have been paying attention.

And both remain optimistic the Broncos aren't as far away from being a playoff team as their 2-8 finish might have indicated.

"Next year, coming in, second time around, you know what you did wrong, know the things you can correct," Jordan said. "I think there's a lot of lessons to be learned. We have a lot of good guys in the locker room, and I'm excited about next year."

Still, there are plenty of things that must be fixed if the Broncos want to make the playoffs for the first time since 2005.

"Talent-wise, there are a couple pieces of the puzzle that are definitely missing, and guys know it and Josh knows it," Holliday said. "They're going to fix it. From the top, they know what's going on, and they're going to fix it."

While Holliday declined to point out specific needs "I'm just employee No. 99," he said it is clear the Broncos have several key areas to address in free agency and the draft, especially on the offensive and defensive lines.

With a move away from the zone-blocking scheme and with a new offensive line coach, the Broncos likely will add bulkier interior offensive linemen who should improve the team's pedestrian running game.

The Broncos' defense still needs help up front, on the line and at linebacker to shore up a run defense that collapsed late, especially in home losses to Oakland and Kansas City.

With Brandon Marshall likely on his way out, the team will need another big-play wide receiver to join Jabar Gaffney and Eddie Royal. Veteran Brandon Stokley will be a free agent.

Plenty of fans might not be happy to hear it, but don't expect a change at quarterback, with the Broncos expected to keep Kyle Orton for at least one more year.

That's the right move, said Rich Gannon, a former Raiders quarterback and NFL MVP.

"I think the quarterback is going to be fine," said Gannon, who is an analyst for CBS and Sirius Radio. "You see the most improvement in quarterbacks from Year 1 to Year 2 in the system, and my sense is that this will be a very busy offseason for them. He'll continue to improve and he needs to."

The Broncos can't and won't be quite as active in free agency in 2010 as they were during McDaniels' first offseason, when the team signed a dozen players by mid-March.

The team also has one pick in each round of the draft, and could acquire more if they are able to trade Marshall. The Broncos' first- round pick will be at No. 10 or No. 11, pending on the results of a coin flip with Jacksonville this month.

With the 2009 season officially wrapping up tonight with the Super Bowl, current and former Broncos are starting to look ahead to how their 2010 team will look.

"I don't know what's going on, but I just want them to get it right," former Bronco Shannon Sharpe said. "I'm going to always do my job. As long as I'm going to have a microphone and a camera, I'm always going to give you an honest opinion about what I think about the Broncos. But secretly, I want them to do well, just like I'm sure Dan Marino wants the Dolphins to do well."

well maybe they will get a few good players for the lines

TheReverend
02-08-2010, 02:15 PM
This will be the most revealing off-season and season in a longgggggggggggggg time

ghwk
02-08-2010, 02:23 PM
LaMont Jordan- I'm thinking he will be looking for a job. Is it too soon to start up the Peyton Hillis bandwagon?

broncofan7
02-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Step 1: Get McNabb for a 2nd or 3rd rounder....

Step 2 : Keep Marshall AND draft Dez Bryant--hello Fitz and Anquan--meet the new best WR tandem in football
step 3: FA/ Draft DL and OL exclusively........

NFLBRONCO
02-08-2010, 02:34 PM
This is how I figured FA would go this year.

bpc
02-08-2010, 02:35 PM
That sad part is, apologists will be taking aim at the CBA next when things go wrong for McD and company, and they'll just blame it on that.

Beantown Bronco
02-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Step 1: Get McNabb for a 2nd or 3rd rounder....

Step 2 : Keep Marshall AND draft Dez Bryant--hello Fitz and Anquan--meet the new best WR tandem in football
step 3: FA/ Draft DL and OL exclusively........

pretty tough to draft DL and OL exclusively when you have us giving away the 1st for a WR and possibly the 2nd for a QB.

HEAV
02-08-2010, 02:37 PM
"I think the quarterback is going to be fine," said Gannon, who is an analyst for CBS and Sirius Radio. "You see the most improvement in quarterbacks from Year 1 to Year 2 in the system, and my sense is that this will be a very busy offseason for them. He'll continue to improve — and he needs to."

HEAV
02-08-2010, 02:39 PM
pretty tough to draft DL and OL exclusively when you have us giving away the 1st for a WR and possibly the 2nd for a QB.

Let the idiot have his wet dream. He'll find a way to get Wilfork and every other high priced FA to Denver even with a lockout coming...

PRBronco
02-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Vonnie was just on a 1 year contract wasn't he? Sounds like he's planning on coming back. Good to hear, imo.

TonyR
02-08-2010, 02:51 PM

Yup, this is reminicent of people who want to shrink government/reduce the debt but don't want to touch Medicare and other entitlements, defense spending, or taxes. Everybody thinks you can have your cake and eat it, too.

bpc
02-08-2010, 03:17 PM
"I think the quarterback is going to be fine," said Gannon, who is an analyst for CBS and Sirius Radio. "You see the most improvement in quarterbacks from Year 1 to Year 2 in the system, and my sense is that this will be a very busy offseason for them. He'll continue to improve and he needs to."

Orton's gonna get better at throwing the bubble screen from year 1 to year 2? OH goodie!!!!

broncofan7
02-08-2010, 04:04 PM

Why is that? I didn't realize that the NFL draft was only 2 rounds.....pardon me :welcome:

Beantown Bronco
02-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Why is that? I didn't realize that the NFL draft was only 2 rounds.....pardon me :welcome:

OK, we'll just ignore the "exclusively" word then....and the fact that the Broncos are short at least one second day pick already.

broncosteven
02-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Orton's gonna get better at throwing the bubble screen from year 1 to year 2? OH goodie!!!!

until he sprains his ankle for the 3rd year in a row.

Popps
02-08-2010, 05:21 PM
That sad part is, apologists will be taking aim at the CBA next when things go wrong for McD and company, and they'll just blame it on that.

Good god you're a whiney old lady.

It just never stops.

Go find another hobby.

Popps
02-08-2010, 05:24 PM

http://lineout.thestranger.com/files/2007/11/crybaby.jpg

bpc
02-08-2010, 06:13 PM
http://lineout.thestranger.com/files/2007/11/crybaby.jpg

Between what the Buffs and Broncos have become, yes, this is a pretty accurate picture.

KipCorrington25
02-08-2010, 08:40 PM

Yes he'll get arm strength, athletic ability, strength, and abilty to improvise! ROFL!

NFLBRONCO
02-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Between what the Buffs and Broncos have become, yes, this is a pretty accurate picture.

D. Scott wants to return to CU

bpc
02-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I don't even know what to think about that. Highly regarded talent, working with a staff that doesn't know how to maximize his ability on the field. Complicating the matter is that he quit on the team in the middle of the season, and while I hate the coaching staff, he quit on them too. Doesn't make for a great situation. We'll see.

Should make the CU/Cal game i'm going to next year much more competitive though.