PDA

View Full Version : Back to old football

Peoples Champ
02-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Does anyone else love the way the refs called the game last night? I loved it. It reminded me of football in the 1990's and before. They were letting the players play. They werent calling ticky tack wussy pass interference calls. I loved it. Thats why if Peyton Manning played in the 80's and 90's, he wouldnt even be close to Elway status.

bronco militia
02-08-2010, 08:04 AM
I thought it was a well played game by both teams, so I don't think the zebras had much to pick from.

WolfpackGuy
02-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Yes, a very clean game.

I know the Colts have a good line, but how do they not get one or two holding calls when picking up all the blitzes?

I've rarely seen them flagged for that.

Peoples Champ
02-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Yes, a very clean game.

I know the Colts have a good line, but how do they not get one or two holding calls when picking up all the blitzes?

I've rarely seen them flagged for that.

I saw a lot of holding by the colts, but they were calling it fair both ways, which is how I think it should be, so I was fine with it.

Bronco Yoda
02-08-2010, 08:16 AM
I really liked how they let them play.

Garcia Bronco
02-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Call the game by the rules everytime.

azbroncfan
02-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Someone was bitching here but you will always have that but I thought it was a well called game and they let them play.

Beantown Bronco
02-08-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm still amazed that no flags were thrown on the on-side kick play. I literally saw at least three players openly kicking and punching and they just let it go. It made me wonder: when was the last time someone was actually ejected from a SB?

gtown
02-08-2010, 08:53 AM
For the sake of the NFL's image, they swallowed the whistles a bit yesterday. Made the game a bit better.

Bigdawg26
02-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Thank God for calling the game like it should have been! They stopped protecting the quarterback so much and actually made Peyton a football player.

PaintballCLE
02-08-2010, 09:08 AM
that hit out of bounds call was terrible though

Rohirrim
02-08-2010, 09:58 AM
that hit out of bounds call was terrible though

Naw. He speared him in the side with his helmet. I think the ref tossed the flag more for the spear than for the late hit.

Pony Boy
02-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Totaly agree, it was great to see a game where the refs didn't control the tempo of the game.... There would have been flags galore on the onside kick pile-up in a regular season game...

Peoples Champ
02-08-2010, 10:55 AM
For the sake of the NFL's image, they swallowed the whistles a bit yesterday. Made the game a bit better.

I couldnt agree more

Peoples Champ
02-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Thank God for calling the game like it should have been! They stopped protecting the quarterback so much and actually made Peyton a football player.

ya i think a couple of the hits on Peyton might have been roughing the passer in the regular season, im so glad they didnt call them, its football not dancing

Rohirrim
02-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Totaly agree, it was great to see a game where the refs didn't control the tempo of the game.... There would have been flags galore on the onside kick pile-up in a regular season game...

And the refs probably would have called offsetting penalties so they didn't have to really make a call.

Jason in LA
02-08-2010, 11:13 AM
It was interesting that that there were not very many big players from two of the most exciting offenses in the league. Neither team attacked down field much, which made the game kind of boring. Most dink and dunk passes. Really thinking about it the only play that got a rise out of me was the pick for a TD.

Maybe it was the refs letting them play that killed these pass happy teams. If that's the case, I hope the refs start calling more games like that. Lets get back to old school football. Run the damn ball. I liked the old violent style of football. That's why I liked the Jets so much during the playoffs. They pounded teams with their O line and front 7. They'd run it all day and get a few big plays from their RBs, and Sanchez would hit a big play here and there. That style of football is much more exciting than what went on last night.

I guess this exciting pass it all over the place NFL that has been around for the last 10 years is really created by the rules and the refs. When they let these guys play that pass happy junk doesn't work, and is really boring.

Peoples Champ
02-08-2010, 11:21 AM
It was interesting that that there were not very many big players from two of the most exciting offenses in the league. Neither team attacked down field much, which made the game kind of boring. Most dink and dunk passes. Really thinking about it the only play that got a rise out of me was the pick for a TD.

Maybe it was the refs letting them play that killed these pass happy teams. If that's the case, I hope the refs start calling more games like that. Lets get back to old school football. Run the damn ball. I liked the old violent style of football. That's why I liked the Jets so much during the playoffs. They pounded teams with their O line and front 7. They'd run it all day and get a few big plays from their RBs, and Sanchez would hit a big play here and there. That style of football is much more exciting than what went on last night.

I guess this exciting pass it all over the place NFL that has been around for the last 10 years is really created by the rules and the refs. When they let these guys play that pass happy junk doesn't work, and is really boring.

Im on the same page

Rohirrim
02-08-2010, 11:24 AM

I agree 100%. It's like taking the NL and trying to make them play like the AL. The result is just prima donna WRs.

Peoples Champ
02-08-2010, 11:27 AM
I agree 100%. It's like taking the NL and trying to make them play like the AL. The result is just prima donna WRs.

Ya, I blame it on Peyton Manning, because his passing style was selling tickets, so they changed the pass interference rules.

Its why I dont think Manning will be the best ever, you will never see him dive head first for a first down to inspire his team to a superbowl victory. If he did, he could have multiple superbowls right now.

bendog
02-08-2010, 02:14 PM
I've seen manning lay it out for a first down, playing with a bad left wrist. It's not his game, and no he is nowhere near as tought as Elway was. He prepares a lot more than Elway did until the second half of his career, though.

kappys
02-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Great game from almost every aspect.

The NFL doesn't want a another Seahawks - Steelers fiasco and did a good job keeping it from happening. The memory is still fresh enough.

Peoples Champ
02-08-2010, 05:53 PM
I've seen manning lay it out for a first down, playing with a bad left wrist. It's not his game, and no he is nowhere near as tought as Elway was. He prepares a lot more than Elway did until the second half of his career, though.

i guess i have never seen it, but I havent watched every game. I have seen him hit the ground before a pass rusher comes so he doesnt get hit. I just remember all the win one for John stuff, you never here win one for Peyton, because I think John had a better way of leading his team to believe in him, because they know John would sacrafice himself for the Broncos. I dont think the Colts players are as convinced that Manning would sacrafice himself for the team.

BroncoMan4ever
02-08-2010, 06:36 PM

Peyton isn't like Brady in the sense that he should wear a skirt. Peyton doesn't bitch and moan like a little girl with a skinned knee when someone looks at him funny. He plays football like a man. Granted he wouldn't be near as good as he is now had he played in the 80s or 90s, but he is far from the little bitch QB of today's NFL