PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl passing game

HEAV
02-08-2010, 05:37 AM
If you watched the Super Bowl you would have notice that the deep passing was non existant.

In fact looking at the stats the game was more about the horizontal spread attack, than it was about the vertical attack.

Brees

7.4 yards per Att. and 9.0 per Comp.

Manning

7.4 yards per Att. and 10.8 per Comp.

Both QB's in the 7.4 per attempt in the big game. In fact for the 2009-10 season Manning had a 7.9 per Att.

The passing game has changed from the run & catch, to the catch and run. Weve see it with the Patirots,Steelers and other teams are now using the catch and run attack. While some teams will still try the vertical attack (Raiders) the NFL is now about the recievers catching the short pass and using his legs to get the yards.

Many Broncos fans learned this year the Horizontal spread is the offense will will see for years to come.

You may hate it, but the game is more about having an accurate passer than having and BIG arm passer. But it does require having a reciever with the skill set of Marshall. Big, strong, runner, with tackle breaking ability. But the good news is the draft has more than a handfull of these type players.

The Super Bowl showed that if you bring a decent defense and ball control offense that puts up 7 more than 3...you can win!

jhns
02-08-2010, 06:02 AM
I'm sure you also noticed they didn't throw 20 screens. They also hit that 10-20 yard range a lot. We never did. I agree we need an accurate passer more than a big arm. We don't have that though. Orton has the arm to get it down field. He has 0 accuracy when throwing beyond 5-10 yards. Anyone that pays attention complains about his accuracy, not his arm strength. This is also why they complain about the passing game in general. Shanahan and Cutler threw about %99 of their passes short to medium. They hardly ever went long. They didn't create entire game plans that never threw more than 2 yards beyond the LOS though. We need a QB that can hit the medium range passes or we need a coach that isn't so scared. Our scoring and third down efficiency agrees with me.

Lolad
02-08-2010, 06:12 AM
I'm sure you also noticed they didn't throw 20 screens. They also hit that 10-20 yard range a lot. We never did. I agree we need an accurate passer more than a big arm. We don't have that though. Orton has the arm to get it down field. He has 0 accuracy when throwing beyond 5-10 yards. Anyone that pays attention complains about his accuracy, not his arm strength. This is also why they complain about the passing game in general. Shanahan and Cutler threw about %99 of their passes short to medium. They hardly ever went long. They didn't create entire game plans that never threw more than 2 yards beyond the LOS though. We need a QB that can hit the medium range passes or we need a coach that isn't so scared. Our scoring and third down efficiency agrees with me.

cosign.

CEH
02-08-2010, 06:12 AM
29 for 32.
Denver in the Philly game have like 90 % of their passes at or within 3 yards of the LOS. Saints and COlts can go deep and has all season long. In a one game season, defenses can dicatate alot. The fact Brees can do both is really what we are looking for. Brees wanted to go deep several times but the defense dictated a quick strike game and after the 1st Qtr Brees was 29 of 32. I'll take take every day but Orton is not capable of coming close to those numbers

Bigdawg26
02-08-2010, 06:27 AM

I third this quote :thumbs:

go_broncos
02-08-2010, 07:03 AM

I agree with you..We need a QB..NFL is now a QB league.
With Orton, we need to have a defense similar to Jets or Baltimore.
Even then, it is doubtful that we can win playoff games.

Hopefully, we draft a good QB this time..

WolfpackGuy
02-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Brees and Manning are also very good at sidestepping and avoiding the rush.

Orton just trips over his own feet at the first sign of danger.

He's just a taller, less accurate Brian Griese.

oubronco
02-08-2010, 07:08 AM
If you watched the Super Bowl you would have notice that the deep passing was non existant.

In fact looking at the stats the game was more about the horizontal spread attack, than it was about the vertical attack.

Brees

7.4 yards per Att. and 9.0 per Comp.

Manning

7.4 yards per Att. and 10.8 per Comp.

Both QB's in the 7.4 per attempt in the big game. In fact for the 2009-10 season Manning had a 7.9 per Att.

The passing game has changed from the run & catch, to the catch and run. Weve see it with the Patirots,Steelers and other teams are now using the catch and run attack. While some teams will still try the vertical attack (Raiders) the NFL is now about the recievers catching the short pass and using his legs to get the yards.

Many Broncos fans learned this year the Horizontal spread is the offense will will see for years to come.

You may hate it, but the game is more about having an accurate passer than having and BIG arm passer. But it does require having a reciever with the skill set of Marshall. Big, strong, runner, with tackle breaking ability. But the good news is the draft has more than a handfull of these type players.

The Super Bowl showed that if you bring a decent defense and ball control offense that puts up 7 more than 3...you can win!

The thing is that Manning and Brees can throw the deep ball and the defenses have to honor it or they will get burnt thats why they didn't just sit on the short stuff and kill the offenses like Broncos fans had to watch happen all year