PDA

View Full Version : Every team in the league passed on Drew Brees...

Taco John
02-08-2010, 01:45 AM
At draft season, I just thought I'd throw out this thought.

It was 2001, and all the hype was about how the Chargers would pull the "no-brainer" move and Draft Michael Vick at number one. Instead, they thought they'd be clever. They traded down with the Falcons and picked up someone named LaDanian Tomlinson at #5. And then they waited patiently as team after team passed on Brees until their pick came up again at the top of the second round.

Amazing. Baltimore passed him up, and went into that next season with Chris Redman and Jeff Blake as their signal callers. Todd Heap was apparently a higher priority than picking up a quarterback. The Raiders passed him up for DB Derrick Gibson. The Saints drafted Duece McAllister. The Chiefs absolutely blew their first round pick, a number 12 overall, trading for Trent Green (they have absolutely nothing to show for that pick now). We did the same, picking up Willie Middlebrooks at #24.

Funny the twists and turns this game takes... Gotta love it.

watermock
02-08-2010, 01:53 AM
I could tell he was going to be a good pro watching him at Perdue.

SportinOne
02-08-2010, 02:06 AM

What did you think watching Orton?

The MVPlaya
02-08-2010, 02:17 AM

Perdue? Hilarious!LOL

Yeah, you must have watched him a lot.

The MVPlaya
02-08-2010, 02:18 AM
What did you think watching Orton?

lol like he knows anything he's watching... come on now. LOL

Must be easy saying this NOW.

The NFL is definitely looking for some scouts man- mock should tell them he's good at evaluating talent on TV.

Taco John
02-08-2010, 02:21 AM
Perdue? Hilarious!LOL

Yeah, you must have watched him a lot.

Brees went to Purdue.

Or wait. You're busting out some EPIC spelling smack, aren't you?

Carry on.

The MVPlaya
02-08-2010, 02:26 AM
Brees went to Purdue.

Carry on.

It's one thing to be a typo - it's another thing to completely spell a school wrong. If you're gonna claim you watched someone extensively, you'd see his college team name a good amount of times.

The point is not that he spelled it wrong - the point is that you're claiming you saw talent yet you're unable to spell it's origin.

I don't expect you guys to be able to comprehend this though... many posters pretty much read between the lines with nothing more than 3rd grade comprehension.

extralife
02-08-2010, 02:28 AM
Silly thread. Every team passed on Brady 5 or 6 times. That's just how the draft works; you aren't a first rounder if no one drafts you in the first round. I remember that draft, myself, and Brees went right around where he was projected to go. You can't win 'em all.

I think it's a little dumb to say the Chiefs "absolutely blew" their first round pick if they traded it for Trent Green (is that how it went down? I honestly don't remember) just because he doesn't play anymore. They got good value from him all told.

watermock
02-08-2010, 02:29 AM
I'm not. They are tho.

Whatever.

They had games of both on ESPNU a couple days ago, and yes, I saw enough of him to tell he would be good in the NFL.

HAT
02-08-2010, 02:31 AM
Brees went to Purdue.

Carry on.

C'mon Taco, I hate spelling smack as much as anyone...But you gotta admit that mock busting out a 'Perdue' in his 'scouting' report is pretty damn funny.

'Typo' my ass....The guy is just a blabbering fool.

The MVPlaya
02-08-2010, 02:32 AM
I'm not. They are tho.

Whatever.

They had games of both on ESPNU a couple days ago, and yes, I saw enough of him to tell he would be good in the NFL.

You should apply to be an NFL scout - you'd be the highest paid scout - being able to spot talent with a few games.

I'm telling you - NFL organizations need to start privately contacting forum members for positions directly involved in football.

Popps
02-08-2010, 02:33 AM
In before Orton-bash-fest...

The MVPlaya
02-08-2010, 02:34 AM
C'mon Taco, I hate spelling smack as much as anyone...But you gotta admit that mock busting out a 'Perdue' in his 'scouting' report is pretty damn funny.

'Typo' my ass....The guy is just a blabbering fool.

lol exactly ...

Spelling smack is stupid - it's like claiming you read Hairy Potter 5 times over. No one really cares about the spelling itself - you just look stupid as fucc.

Taco John
02-08-2010, 02:49 AM
lol exactly ...

Spelling smack is stupid - it's like claiming you read Hairy Potter 5 times over. No one really cares about the spelling itself - you just look stupid as fucc.

I agree with this. Spelling smack is stupid.

barryr
02-08-2010, 06:59 AM
Brees, by many teams and scouts, was thought to be too small, not enough arm, and just a system QB. This is why people believing a QB to have success needs a rocket for an arm and great size don't watch enough football. There are other things that are more important, such as making quick reads and delivering the ball on time. Having a rocket for an arm is just an added bonus, but not necessary.

_Oro_
02-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Brees, by many teams and scouts, was thought to be too small, not enough arm, and just a system QB. This is why people believing a QB to have success needs a rocket for an arm and great size don't watch enough football. There are other things that are more important, such as making quick reads and delivering the ball on time. Having a rocket for an arm is just an added bonus, but not necessary.

You would think Joe Montana's work could have debunked this myth.

Bigdawg26
02-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Well it's not like we could have got him because I think he got drafted the year we signed Jake Plummer, and it wasn't like the Chargers were going to him to us anyways. But he honestly he a GREAT quarterback and if you look at the numbers he is up there with Brady and Manning.

Archer81
02-08-2010, 07:33 AM

Montana is 6'2. Brees is maybe just over 6'0.

:Broncos:

bronco militia
02-08-2010, 07:56 AM
I never thought Brees was any good when he played for the chargers.

_Oro_
02-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Montana is 6'2. Brees is maybe just over 6'0.

:Broncos:

I was talking more about the "rocket arm"...

Peoples Champ
02-08-2010, 08:03 AM
there are a million of these every draft

elsid13
02-08-2010, 08:34 AM
It not like he fell to the bottom of the 7th round. He was the 1st pick in the second round. Which isn't bad. Plus he not the player then that he was today. Remember he stuck it up so bad, the Chruggers were in position to draft Manning/Rivers.

Broncos_OTM
02-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Mock hurry give me the lottery numbers!

Broncos_OTM
02-08-2010, 08:44 AM
i need to win

Broncos_OTM
02-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Millions of dollars, Think how much i could feed Bezzar.

Broncos_OTM
02-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Anyone got any Penut butter?

WolfpackGuy
02-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Brees had an up and down career in SD.

He really took off under Sean Payton though.

I don't think anyone saw that coming, especially after the shoulder injury.

Bigdawg26
02-08-2010, 08:49 AM
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs167.snc3/19450_293774694219_534439219_3663705_6521567_n.jpg

sixtimeseight
02-08-2010, 10:27 AM
It's one thing to be a typo - it's another thing to completely spell a school wrong. If you're gonna claim you watched someone extensively, you'd see his college team name a good amount of times.

The point is not that he spelled it wrong - the point is that you're claiming you saw talent yet you're unable to spell it's origin.

I don't expect you guys to be able to comprehend this though... many posters pretty much read between the lines with nothing more than 3rd grade comprehension.

You made the mistake of insulting the forum pet. You're lucky you didn't get banned for that.

steeledude
02-08-2010, 10:38 AM

No. No it's not.

PRBronco
02-08-2010, 10:46 AM

I could tell he was going to be a good pro when I watched him at Noter Dame.

DenverBrit
02-08-2010, 10:50 AM
I agree with this. Spelling smack is stupid.

....and rediculous. Ha!

Tombstone RJ
02-08-2010, 10:53 AM

It was 2001, and all the hype was about how the Chargers would pull the "no-brainer" move and Draft Michael Vick at number one. Instead, they thought they'd be clever. They traded down with the Falcons and picked up someone named LaDanian Tomlinson at #5. And then they waited patiently as team after team passed on Brees until their pick came up again at the top of the second round.

Amazing. Baltimore passed him up, and went into that next season with Chris Redman and Jeff Blake as their signal callers. Todd Heap was apparently a higher priority than picking up a quarterback. The Raiders passed him up for DB Derrick Gibson. The Saints drafted Duece McAllister. The Chiefs absolutely blew their first round pick, a number 12 overall, trading for Trent Green (they have absolutely nothing to show for that pick now). We did the same, picking up Willie Middlebrooks at #24.

Please remember, Brees was too short to play QB in the NFL...

Bob's your Information Minister
02-08-2010, 11:48 AM
The funny thing is Vermeil actually wanted to draft Brees...if they hadn't been able to trade for Green they probably would have picked Brees.

azbroncfan
02-08-2010, 12:07 PM
The funny thing is Vermeil actually wanted to draft Brees...if they hadn't been able to trade for Green they probably would have picked Brees.

I am sure a lot of teams would of in the late second or 3rd rounds or later. Every team wanted Manning too.

NFLBRONCO
02-08-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm happy for Breeze lol but, honestly the guy had zero pressure most of the game. With all the time he had with the weapons in his pocket no wonder they won.

The MVPlaya
02-08-2010, 03:22 PM
No. No it's not.

No it's not? Does that even make sense to the quote?

You're saying no it's not different? A typo is on accident - when you're spelling Perdue - you're just a fuccin retard.

DBroncos4life
02-08-2010, 03:42 PM
The MVPlaya your ego is impressive. It must be painful for you to have to log on here with all these retards typing that are so unworthy of your brilliance. You keep up the good work man no two posters combined could insult as many other posters as you do on what seems to be a very regular occurring thing for you. Everytime I see you post I just have to click to see if you are calling someone out for their lack of intelligence and you very rarely let me down. :thumbsup:

The MVPlaya
02-08-2010, 03:47 PM
The MVPlaya your ego is impressive. It must be painful for you to have to log on here with all these retards typing that are so unworthy of your brilliance. You keep up the good work man no two posters combined could insult as many other posters as you do on what seems to be a very regular occurring thing for you. Everytime I see you post I just have to click to see if you are calling someone out for their lack of intelligence and you very rarely let me down. :thumbsup:

You didn't know? That's my "philosophy" and I follow it without derailing!!! :twokisses

DBroncos4life
02-08-2010, 03:51 PM
You didn't know? That's my "philosophy" and I follow it without derailing!!! :twokisses

It's pretty original too.

Mogulseeker
02-08-2010, 04:00 PM

The Chargers made out like bandits that year.

I said that year that Brees would be a better QB than Mike Vick. People made fun of me for it.

Drew Brees is a real leader and just a really likable guy.

We picked Willie Middlebrooks. I was pissed - a project 3rd rounder at #24, and he never even amounted to that of a third rounder, anyway.

jmz313
02-08-2010, 09:25 PM
well, all the teams in the league passed on Tom Brady more then once. Same for countless other stars and superstars. Like TD, Rod Smith, even the Great Trent Dilfer who also has one SB win like Brees.

Bigdawg26
02-08-2010, 09:34 PM
But didn't we either just sign Griese to a long term deal or just signed Jake Plummer so we already thought we had our guy at the time. But Willie Middlebrooks lol.... It's a shame I will admit (even though I was in 8th grade at the time) I thought we would be pretty good.... Young and DUMB!

Cito Pelon
02-08-2010, 09:46 PM
. . . . . . . . . . .Funny the twists and turns this game takes... Gotta love it.

Yup.

Taco John
02-08-2010, 09:51 PM
No it's not? Does that even make sense to the quote?

You're saying no it's not different? A typo is on accident - when you're spelling Perdue - you're just a fuccin retard.

Dude, you should let it go. Perdue is the most common misspelling of that college name. There's nothing novel about it, and you look like an idiot continuing on with the spelling nazi smack.

maher_tyler
02-08-2010, 11:53 PM

I get what yer saying dude :thumbsup:

maher_tyler
02-08-2010, 11:56 PM
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs167.snc3/19450_293774694219_534439219_3663705_6521567_n.jpg

LOLHilarious!LOL

mr007
02-09-2010, 12:27 AM
Brees had an up and down career in SD.

He really took off under Sean Payton though.

I don't think anyone saw that coming, especially after the shoulder injury.

Actually Brees' career was just starting to take off in his later years in SD. I personally thought it was really stupid to get rid of him despite his shoulder, and definitely thought he was well on his way to the upper echelon QBs.

It's good to see him win, especially outside San Diego =).

The MVPlaya
02-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Rivers was drafted right before the season Drew began to take off...

boltaneer
02-09-2010, 02:56 AM
Actually Brees' career was just starting to take off in his later years in SD. I personally thought it was really stupid to get rid of him despite his shoulder, and definitely thought he was well on his way to the upper echelon QBs.

It was so stupid for the Chargers to let him go, teams stumbled all over themselves to bring him in, right?

I mean 28 (I'll rule out NE, Indy and Pitt at that time) teams had the chance to upgrade their QB right there and 26 of them passed because he was a huge risk to sign because of his injury. Only the Dolphins and Saints made a serious run at Brees.

The Chargers had a backup plan because they had Rivers groomed to take over. Though it really wasn't a backup plan. It was realistically the only plan that they could make work financially.

If you want to play the 'stupid' card, the teams that were truly stupid to pass on Brees are the ones now still looking for a quarterback. In a scenario where there were no financial/salary cap implications, IMO five teams wouldn't/shouldn't swap their QB for Brees right now: Colts, Patriots, Steelers, Chargers and Packers. You could possibly throw out the few teams with up and coming QBs (Ravens, Falcons, Jets) but for the other 23 teams or so, they blew it.

sixtimeseight
02-09-2010, 08:37 AM
IMO five teams wouldn't/shouldn't swap their QB for Brees right now: Colts, Patriots, Steelers, Chargers and Packers.

lol, still stubbornly sticking to this, huh? I mean why wouldn't the Chargers want a Super Bowl MVP who throws for close to 5k yards a season, when they have a petulant little bitch behind center who throws like a girl and doesn't show up in big games? (Well to be fair, he does show up, but just to throw interceptions.)

sixtimeseight
02-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Also, Brees is far better than Roethlisberger, I have no idea where you got that from.

dbfan4life
02-09-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm happy for Breeze lol but, honestly the guy had zero pressure most of the game. With all the time he had with the weapons in his pocket no wonder they won.

We all thought Orton had some pretty good weapons in his pocket this year, too. How did that work out?

boltaneer
02-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Also, Brees is far better than Roethlisberger, I have no idea where you got that from.

*sigh*

Re-read my post carefully again. In 2006, the Steelers just won a Super Bowl with Ben so I'm not so sure they would consider Brees an upgrade at that time.

You guys seem to forget, Brees wasn't playing at the level his is now, when he was in San Diego. Yes, he had one great year here. The others ranged from pretty good to poor. Just looking statistically, his numbers in New Orleans make his days in San Diego look bad. But even with all his gaudy numbers in New Orleans, he has never played well in the clutch until this season (his ninth season in the league).

I've sounded like a broken record on this but Brees just didn't fit this offense here like he does now in New Orleans. He and Sean Payton are like the perfect marriage. Aside from Peyton Manning/Tom Moore and maybe even Rivers/Norv, I can't think of a better QB-coach combo in the league that even comes close to Brees/Payton right now.

Beantown Bronco
02-09-2010, 10:26 AM
We all thought Orton had some pretty good weapons in his pocket this year, too. How did that work out?

Showed flashes when Orton was given the time to actually survey the field and make plays. Sadly, the OLine injuries and less than stellar play overall didn't allow this to happen more.

Beantown Bronco
02-09-2010, 10:27 AM
*sigh*

Re-read my post carefully again. In 2006, the Steelers just won a Super Bowl with Ben so I'm not so sure they would consider Brees an upgrade at that time..

Big Ben was on a one man mission to lose Pittsburgh that SB, so I wouldn't be so sure.

Doggcow
02-09-2010, 10:30 AM

Shockey >>>>>>>>> Sheffler
Moore/Meachem/Henderson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Royal and the gang
NO Oline >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Denver Oline
Reggie Bush+Pierre Thomas >>>>>>>>>>>> Moreno and Buckhalter

But yeah, you're right, Marshall and Colston is kind of a wash....

Doggcow
02-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Big Ben was on a one man mission to lose Pittsburgh that SB, so I wouldn't be so sure.

Big Ben willed them down the field in the last 2 minutes... and won me $20 off my friend.

boltaneer
02-09-2010, 10:39 AM
BTW, this is all coming from a huge supporter of Brees. Back in 2006, the Charger boards exploded with Brees-Rivers arguments/flame wars that made the Cutler-Plummer ones here look silly.

I was fearful of letting Brees go, not because he might develop into a better quarterback one day. I was just fearful of the unknown. Who knew what Rivers would be like? What if he turned out to be another bust like Leaf? We had a safe guy we could stick with in Brees. However his shoulder was busted and there was talk that he might not even be ready until 2007 so either way we'd probably see Rivers in 2006.

I'm still a huge Brees fan and I was rooting for him and NO even though him winning the SB would lead to these type of perceptions about Rivers and San Diego. I give him huge props for his comeback after his injury and being able to go out there the following season and put up good numbers in 2006. Fortunately for us, it worked out great as well. Rivers turned out to be now a top 5 QB and has had success in the playoffs. He's still a young guy and is a few years behind Brees so he has time to catch up so I'm not worried about that right now. The Chargers need to get rid of a couple of players who are messing up their chemistry right now. I'm looking at you Cromartie, Phillips and as much as it pains me to say it, LT. I almost want to throw Vincent Jackson in there but I think you got to give him one more chance. He's just too good of a player to get rid of right now.

Beantown Bronco
02-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Big Ben willed them down the field in the last 2 minutes... and won me $20 off my friend.

I think you are mis-remembering things.

Big Ben did the following in that first SB, which is what we're discussing here: 9-123, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, 22.6 QB rating.

Their last scoring drive came with 9 minutes left in the game and it was only four plays long, with the TD coming off a big pass play from Randle El to Hines Ward. Big Ben only threw for 5 yards on the entire drive.

Are you thinking of their other SB win.....against AZ?

PRBronco
02-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Shockey >>>>>>>>> Sheffler
Moore/Meachem/Henderson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Royal and the gang
NO Oline >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Denver Oline
Reggie Bush+Pierre Thomas >>>>>>>>>>>> Moreno and Buckhalter

But yeah, you're right, Marshall and Colston is kind of a wash....

I just checked, this math adds up. Except I would use a few less ">"s on the running backs.

boltaneer
02-09-2010, 10:42 AM

Well, whatever. It's debatable and I'm not a big fan of Ben anway so I don't care. This side debate is detracting from my real question.

Take the Steelers off that list I made then. The point still stands for all the guys who like to go back and re-write history. Someone explain to me why only two teams out of 28-29 showed serious interest in getting Brees, when he was supposedly already so elite or knew that he would become elite?

GoBroncos DownUnder
02-09-2010, 11:03 AM
lol, still stubbornly sticking to this, huh? I mean why wouldn't the Chargers want a Super Bowl MVP who throws for close to 5k yards a season, when they have a petulant little b**** behind center who throws like a girl and doesn't show up in big games? (Well to be fair, he does show up, but just to throw interceptions.)
Hmmmm after closer study, ...
http://static.nfl.com/static/content//public/image/getty/2010/09000d5d815cc361_gallery_600.jpg
http://panafya.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/kelly_r_football.jpg

I think #5 is more likely to WIN a Super Bowl!

GoBroncos DownUnder
02-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Well, whatever. It's debatable and I'm not a big fan of Ben anway so I don't care. This side debate is detracting from my real question.
:spit:A QB with a rating of 22.6 is NOT debatable.

boltaneer
02-09-2010, 11:37 AM
:spit:A QB with a rating of 22.6 is NOT debatable.

Like I said, whatever.

So, how about answering my question instead of sidetracking it?

bronco militia
02-09-2010, 11:45 AM
the chargers drafted Rivers for a reason...brees was not that great.

but is doesn't mean we can't pick on Sparklers fans for their underachieving team.. ;D

boltaneer
02-09-2010, 11:52 AM
the chargers drafted Rivers for a reason...brees was not that great.

but is doesn't mean we can't pick on Sparklers fans for their underachieving team.. ;D

Hey, I'll be the first to admit they have underachieved (in some years) so I'm actually cool with this.

GoBroncos DownUnder
02-09-2010, 01:25 PM
So, how about answering my question instead of sidetracking it?
What question? You're so busy sidetracking yourself in replies, I can't find it.

If the question was: Why did 20+ teams pass on Drew Brees?
Because (at the time) he was a short QB (6'0"), who blew out his throwing shoulder in spectacular fashion and he was previously reduced to the role of "Doug Flutie's back-up".

IMO: EVERY Super Bowl features some guy that the league "passed on" - Kent State's undrafted LB James Harrison, Giants Burress/Bradshaw/Tyree, Colts B/U CB Kelvin Hayden, Steelers Willie Parker (undrafted) ... the list could go on forever.

boltaneer
02-09-2010, 02:40 PM
What question? You're so busy sidetracking yourself in replies, I can't find it.

Take the Steelers off that list I made then. The point still stands for all the guys who like to go back and re-write history. Someone explain to me why only two teams out of 28-29 showed serious interest in getting Brees, when he was supposedly already so elite or knew that he would become elite?

It took me ten seconds to find it. (It's in the very post you responded to but you just chose not to read it or ignore it or something.)

Because (at the time) he was a short QB (6'0"), who blew out his throwing shoulder in spectacular fashion and he was previously reduced to the role of "Doug Flutie's back-up".

Anyway, thanks for actually answering the question.

NFLBRONCO
02-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Brees is a far better QB with far better talent so why bring up Orton and our overrated O???????

watermock
02-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Hey, I picked himout of Perdue!

Doggcow
02-09-2010, 02:54 PM

IMO: EVERY Super Bowl features some guy that the league "passed on" - Kent State's undrafted LB James Harrison, Giants Burress/Bradshaw/Tyree, Colts B/U CB Kelvin Hayden, Steelers Willie Parker (undrafted) ... the list could go on forever.

TD? Rod? Ohhh the memories.

HAT
02-09-2010, 02:56 PM

For Orton? I'd have to say great. Career year for him (despite the injuries & starting from scratch in a new system).

Unfortunately for us fans...It worked out the same as it did for Cutler/Shanny in 2008.....Identical records and damn near identical stats.

That would seem to indicate that McD can do more with less so that's a positive.

Xenos
02-09-2010, 08:43 PM

You did not realize how bad his shoulder injury was. Doctors gave him a 25% at most to come back normal. In the end, SD offered him an incentive laden contract that he felt he was better than and he went for the more guaranteed money with the Saints. It happens. I mean only one team was interested in him at that time. You guys could have had him instead of Plummer and Cutler.

Dagmar
02-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Hey, I picked himout of Perdue!

Where?

Xenos
02-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I think you are mis-remembering things.

Big Ben did the following in that first SB, which is what we're discussing here: 9-123, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, 22.6 QB rating.

Their last scoring drive came with 9 minutes left in the game and it was only four plays long, with the TD coming off a big pass play from Randle El to Hines Ward. Big Ben only threw for 5 yards on the entire drive.

Are you thinking of their other SB win.....against AZ?
No way are the Steelers going to give up on a second year starter who just led to the Superbowl (no matter how poorly he may have played) for a guy who had a torn labrum and rotator cuff (not to mention didn't lead his team to the playoffs that year).

The MVPlaya
02-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Where?

Check the first page - I got at him for that already and he's still being ignorant... he doesn't want to admit he's a dumbass.