PDA

View Full Version : I don't get this BS -ESPiN Logic

elsid13
02-06-2010, 06:32 AM
Egghead logic and Sharpe chance of getting into the HOF

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4887462

Shannon Sharpe, tight end, Denver Broncos, Baltimore Ravens: Sharpe changed the thinking of how offenses used tight ends. Even though he was labeled a tight end, he worked the inside slot to perfection, catching 815 passes. He went to eight Pro Bowls. It could hurt his chances if voters consider him just a pass-catcher instead of a tight end.
Chances: 45 percent

Ahead of Sharpe

Rice -100%
E Smith -100%
Dent - 55%
Floyd Little -75%
Dick LeBeau -80%
Cris Carter - 55%
T Brown - 50%
Cortez Kennedy -50%
John Randle -48%

tsiguy96
02-06-2010, 06:50 AM
but tony gonzalez is a shoe in, gauranteed

Drek
02-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Who're the HOF voters from the Denver area? The difference between being just on the outside looking in and getting into the Hall is almost always the guy who's advocating for the player, not the player's own career. I can't help but think that whomever has been representing the Broncos players must either have a lot of enemies in the room or have a hard time making solid arguments for our guys.

elsid13
02-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Who're the HOF voters from the Denver area? The difference between being just on the outside looking in and getting into the Hall is almost always the guy who's advocating for the player, not the player's own career. I can't help but think that whomever has been representing the Broncos players must either have a lot of enemies in the room or have a hard time making solid arguments for our guys.

There is only one. Each team gets one, plus 12 at large. It was Woody Paige, but it now Legwood.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.aspx

tsiguy96
02-06-2010, 07:45 AM

i think i made a post about that in 08, its not a coincidence that there is only 2 broncos in the hall, they are getting ****ty representation.

spdirty
02-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Right now, this year, even though I would LOVE to see both Broncos in, it is much MUCH more important for Floyd Little to get in than Sharpe.

TotallyScrewed
02-06-2010, 07:58 AM
I don't know about the bad logic. For most of Shannon's career he didn't block at all. When he did block or try to block it was a crap shoot as to whether he'd draw a flag.

Don't get me wrong, Shannon was the best "tweener" I've ever seen. He made spectacular grabs when it was absolutely necessary...recall...Jan. 11, 1998 - AFC Championship - Denver 24, Pittsburgh 21...end of the game. Who sealed the deal? That's right Shannon Sharpe.

None the less, he' compared more to WR's than TE's, which is good and bad. There are a hellaofa lot more WR's in the hall. If you look at pro football as entertainment, very few players were more entertaining.

WolfpackGuy
02-06-2010, 07:58 AM
He blocked for a 2000 yard rusher and played many seasons with teams that had strong running games.

You don't have a good running game without a tight end who blocks.

chrisp
02-06-2010, 08:09 AM
it was a feature of our running attack on the superbowl teams that the receivers were all excellent blockers and all did their bit - especially Ed McCaffery

However I do agree that Sharpe was never really reknowned for his blocking - he was perhaps adequate but he was mainly a receiver. So I'm not sure if that's a problem or not. it might hurt his chances of getting in the hall if the selection committee judge his receiving stats with a WR yardstick, becuase judged in those terms he may not be hall-worthy. however he's clearly one of the best pass-catching tight ends in the history of the game, so I reckon that has to give him a better than evens chance of getting in.

Frankly though, whatever happens in the hall - god knows there should be more broncos there already anyway - he was a great, great player for us and we may not have got our lombardis without him.

Killericon
02-06-2010, 08:56 AM
He's handicapping them for this year. He's saying there's a small chance he gets in thsi year...Which sounds reasonable to me. If getting Little in the hall means Sharpe can wait a year, so be it.

Garcia Bronco
02-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Make mine Four-Four.

bpc
02-06-2010, 11:33 AM
I don't know about the bad logic. For most of Shannon's career he didn't block at all. When he did block or try to block it was a crap shoot as to whether he'd draw a flag.

Don't get me wrong, Shannon was the best "tweener" I've ever seen. He made spectacular grabs when it was absolutely necessary...recall...Jan. 11, 1998 - AFC Championship - Denver 24, Pittsburgh 21...end of the game. Who sealed the deal? That's right Shannon Sharpe.

None the less, he' compared more to WR's than TE's, which is good and bad. There are a hellaofa lot more WR's in the hall. If you look at pro football as entertainment, very few players were more entertaining.

Can't people stop quoting **** that isn't true? He was a blocker in a ZBS in Denver. So what if he wasn't pancaking people. He blocked for TD's career, including a 1100, 1500, 1750, and 2000 yd rushing campaign. He also blocked for Olandis Gary's campain, CP's two 1500 yd rushing seasons, and Mike Anderson/Tatum Bell's 50/50 1000 yd seasons.

Are people really this dumb?

You want to take it a step further, he was a starter in Baltimore blocking for Jamal Lewis as their only potent weapons in winning a super bowl.

3 super bowl championships, two different teams. All pro in each city, multiple times. REVOLUTIONARY TIGHT END. He changed the way the position was played.

HALL OF FAME, to this there is no doubt!

spdirty
02-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Can't people stop quoting **** that isn't true? He was a blocker in a ZBS in Denver. So what if he wasn't pancaking people. He blocked for TD's career, including a 1100, 1500, 1750, and 2000 yd rushing campaign. He also blocked for Olandis Gary's campain, CP's two 1500 yd rushing seasons, and Mike Anderson/Tatum Bell's 50/50 1000 yd seasons.

You want to take it a step further, he was a starter in Baltimore blocking for Jamal Lewis as their only potent weapons in winning a super bowl.

3 super bowl championships, two different teams. All pro in each city, multiple times. REVOLUTIONARY TIGHT END. He changed the way the position was played.

He actually didnt block for Tatum/Andersons season he retired in '03.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Floyd and LeBeau aren't in the same discussion as Sharpe, so... those two lines aren't even relevant.

Does Clayton vote for the Hall? You'd think he'd know that sort of thing.

TotallyScrewed
02-06-2010, 12:09 PM

TD = Cut-back.

No doubt that Shannon revolutionized the position...so much so that bigger WR's are the norm. But Shannon wasn't a great blocker and he flagged often enough. That doesn't mean he's not HOF material.

broncocalijohn
02-06-2010, 01:42 PM
TE= Sharpe. No doubt about it. If you are voting for a TE, you vote for Sharpe. Gonzalez will be next. He blocked, ran and caught.