PDA

View Full Version : Early Broncos FA Prediction Thread

Killericon
02-06-2010, 01:26 AM
ITT Predict who you think the Broncos will sign as a free agent this offseason. I'm gonna go ahead and predict that Adalius Thomas is gonna be in orange and blue.

Florida_Bronco
02-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Ben Watson.

24champ
02-06-2010, 01:32 AM
2 of the following 3.

Seymour.

Mankins

Wilfork.

DBroncos4life
02-06-2010, 01:42 AM
2 of the following 3.

Seymour.

Mankins

Wilfork.

Logan Mankins is a RFA so we would pay a lot for him and Wilfork will be by all acounts tagged. Two other RFA's that might draw our attention would be Kirk Morrison and Thomas Howard. Looking at just former Pats Leigh Bodden might catch our eye. Too many players are RFA this year. Nick Kaczur would be my guess as a good person to guess. I wouldn't mind Kevin Mawae.

24champ
02-06-2010, 01:52 AM
Logan Mankins is a RFA so we would pay a lot for him and Wilfork will be by all acounts tagged. Two other RFA's that might draw our attention would be Kirk Morrison and Thomas Howard. Looking at just former Pats Leigh Bodden might catch our eye. Too many players are RFA this year. Nick Kaczur would be my guess as a good person to guess. I wouldn't mind Kevin Mawae.

I wouldn't rule out Mankins at all. We need a big time O-line, and some draft people would be unhappy with trading assets for him, but this guy would solidify the left side forever.

Florida_Bronco
02-06-2010, 01:59 AM
I wouldn't rule out Mankins at all. We need a big time O-line, and some draft people would be unhappy with trading assets for him, but this guy would solidify the left side forever.

Clady, Mankins, Olsen (converted to center) Kuper and Harris.

That would be an epic offensive line.

DBroncos4life
02-06-2010, 02:02 AM

What did they tender him with? You want to give up the 11th pick and our third rounder for him?

24champ
02-06-2010, 02:05 AM
Clady, Mankins, Olsen (converted to center) Kuper and Harris.

That would be an epic offensive line.

Would give Orton plenty of time to throw and improve the running game for sure.

24champ
02-06-2010, 02:30 AM
What did they tender him with? You want to give up the 11th pick and our third rounder for him?

Sure would, it might cost the same to get Iuputi who could be taken in the top 10. Difference is that we would pay more but the upside is that we would get a proven player. An All Pro Guard type player that will certainly help Clady on that left side. I would definitely sign up for that.

DBroncos4life
02-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Sure would, it might cost the same to get Iuputi who could be taken in the top 10. Difference is that we would pay more but the upside is that we would get a proven player. An All Pro Guard type player that will certainly help Clady on that left side. I would definitely sign up for that.

I would be flat out shocked if Iuputi is taken in the top 10. I think he is good but historically G do not get drafted inside the top ten. There is a first for anything though. That is the type of trade that seals your fate. That is the type of trade that says he believes he is the missing link to pushing us over the top.

ayjackson
02-06-2010, 06:39 AM

Guards don't get taken in the top 10, unless your Al Davis and you think you're drafting a tackle.

We can probably get the second best guard in the draft with our second rounder.

elsid13
02-06-2010, 06:59 AM
Thomas is going to end up in NY. Mankins/Wilfork aren't going anywhere. We are looking at 2nd tier players like Chester Pitts.

TonyR
02-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Thomas is going to end up in NY. Mankins/Wilfork aren't going anywhere. We are looking at 2nd tier players like Chester Pitts.

Sadly I completely agree. People need to reel in the expectations. I think of the players mentioned in posts above Seymour is the only remote possibility.

Here's a question for people to ponder, as unlikely as it is: what would people think if we let Doom go but signed Peppers?

elsid13
02-06-2010, 07:11 AM
Sadly I completely agree. People need to reel in the expectations. I think of the players mentioned in posts above Seymour is the only remote possibility.

Here's a question for people to ponder, as unlikely as it is: what would people think if we let Doom go but signed Peppers?

I rather keep Doom. Peppers is a great player but is over 30 and has never played in 3/4 OLB position, plus he going to cost a boat load. If want to add another OLB, there are number of options in this draft like Sapp, Graham or Hughes.

oubronco
02-06-2010, 07:31 AM
I predict that we sign Marshall and Doom to new contracts

Bronco Boy
02-06-2010, 08:37 AM
I think we bring in Bobbie Williams for the guard spot.

GoBroncos84
02-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Ben Watson and Bobbie Williams are very realistic possibilities. From there it is hard to forecast. NT is a need, so you look at Wilfork first. After he is franchised, if the asking price is reasonable I think you have to consider working a trade (the going rate a few years ago for top tier DTs was a 3rd and 5th. We don't have a 5th, but if similar value is requested it could be worth making a deal). If you don't do a trade, then you look for the next best options: Casey Hampton and Ryan Pickett. We might be able to get one of them. If not, Dan Williams is very tempting in the first round. Defensive End would be another need. I'd like to see Vonnie Holliday resigned. Then target Richard Seymour, Dwan Edwards, Jarvis Green... try to sign one of those players. In theory we shouldn't need any secondary players. Champ and Goodman starting, with a 2nd round pick that we gave up a 1st rounder for in the nickel package and another talented young player behind him. But if Smith and Carter aren't ready, then Leigh Bodden would be a nice addition. Safety is pretty solid starting and depth positions.

So, if we land Watson and Williams, then one of the top 3 NT free agents and one of the 3 DE targets I listed, we should be in a great position going into the draft. I also predict that Dumervil and Marshall are brought back, as well as Kyle Orton and most likely Chris Kuper

baja
02-06-2010, 09:44 AM
O line and D line players

TheReverend
02-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Ben Watson and Bobbie Williams are very realistic possibilities. From there it is hard to forecast. NT is a need, so you look at Wilfork first. After he is franchised, if the asking price is reasonable I think you have to consider working a trade (the going rate a few years ago for top tier DTs was a 3rd and 5th. We don't have a 5th, but if similar value is requested it could be worth making a deal). If you don't do a trade, then you look for the next best options: Casey Hampton and Ryan Pickett. We might be able to get one of them. If not, Dan Williams is very tempting in the first round. Defensive End would be another need. I'd like to see Vonnie Holliday resigned. Then target Richard Seymour, Dwan Edwards, Jarvis Green... try to sign one of those players. In theory we shouldn't need any secondary players. Champ and Goodman starting, with a 2nd round pick that we gave up a 1st rounder for in the nickel package and another talented young player behind him. But if Smith and Carter aren't ready, then Leigh Bodden would be a nice addition. Safety is pretty solid starting and depth positions.

So, if we land Watson and Williams, then one of the top 3 NT free agents and one of the 3 DE targets I listed, we should be in a great position going into the draft. I also predict that Dumervil and Marshall are brought back, as well as Kyle Orton and most likely Chris Kuper

That should read "the going rate a few years ago for top tier DTs WITH HUGE QUESTION MARKS was a 3rd and 5th." Question marks in effort, discipline, and commitment don't particularly apply to guys like Wilfork or Hampton and they will NOT go for anything less than a very high 2nd.

barryr
02-06-2010, 02:59 PM
What kind of money will the Broncos have to offer? It was my understanding their cap situation isn't so great.

The Joker
02-06-2010, 03:18 PM
As things stand the Broncos have one of the lowest cap numbers in the league for next year as far as I know.

The question mark isn't over our cap space, but rather how much actual money Bowlen has that he can afford to spend. Nobody really knows for sure, but there have been rumours he's been hit pretty hard the last couple of years.

My guess is we re-sign Dumervil to a big deal, and bring in a number of cheaper FA's like we did last year. I'll be surprised if we break the bank for any FA's.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-06-2010, 03:25 PM
The broncos would have one of the lower cap numbers in the league....if there was a cap next season.

Bigdawg26
02-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Watson, Wilfork, Thomas, and an offensive guard.

Archer81
02-06-2010, 08:57 PM
I predict the Broncos sign Sum Gai.

;)

:Broncos:

ZONA
02-07-2010, 01:39 AM

Iuputi is not going top 10. There are too many good players filling up those slots and there are a good hanful of Tackles that will definitely go before a guard. I'd say no higher then 15 but I predict around 20th or so for him.

Broncoman13
02-07-2010, 07:34 AM
I don't think there is going to be too much action for FAs unless there is a new CBA in place soon. What owner out there is going to give up $20m in guarantees for a player that will only be around for one year and then off the next? Lets take BMarsh for example. Do you really think a team would give up a #1 draft pick, pay him $50m (w/$20 or so guaranteed) knowing that they'll have him for one year then likely a year off for him to find his way back into trouble? All that money and all that time... no way.

How about Mankins, we give up a first and a third, give him a 5 year deal worth $40m and then have him play only one year... doesn't make a whole lot of sense right now. I predict that the movement is going to be real slow and the true FAs will go to teams like the Jets, Colts, Pats, Packers, Saints, and Vikings. If these guys are going to have to "settle" for one year deals, they're going to try and do so on teams with real chances to win a SB. The CBA is screwing things up big time.

Paladin
02-07-2010, 10:18 AM
I believe the Broncos will just sign their own FAs to one year deals. I don't know if a guarantee would be possible. BM might get a one year tender, just as the other guys might. So, Wilfork, for example, might not get the franchise tag, but he might get a one year tender, and any other team would be foolish to give a two year (or more) deal unless there was a clause that spared the team if a lockout or "lack of games" occurred. The only "clue" I have for this idea is that McD and Bowlen have said that the lack of a CBA makes it difficult to plan their own FA contracts....

Actually, though, predicting the outcomes of this offseson is really speculataive, and is easely tainted by one's own biases and fantasies. Therefore, they are invalid at the outset. Including mine above. I agree with 13; there may be much less movement than people around here believe, and then likely would involve only second tier players.....

lostknight
02-07-2010, 11:47 AM
The biggest thing we have to do is lock Doom and Marshall up. Getting draft picks that McDaniels gets to spend for them is similar to giving vodka to a baby.

TonyR
02-07-2010, 12:41 PM
I don't think there is going to be too much action for FAs unless there is a new CBA in place soon. What owner out there is going to give up $20m in guarantees for a player that will only be around for one year and then off the next? Lets take BMarsh for example. Do you really think a team would give up a #1 draft pick, pay him $50m (w/$20 or so guaranteed) knowing that they'll have him for one year then likely a year off for him to find his way back into trouble? All that money and all that time... no way.

Pretty much what I've been thinking and saying. Without a CBA Marshall will either be staying or leaving with the Broncos getting too little in return.

bowtown
02-07-2010, 01:37 PM
The biggest thing we have to do is lock Doom and Marshall up. Getting draft picks that McDaniels gets to spend for them is similar to giving vodka to a baby.

I've always found giving vodka to babies to be very effective. Most of them are real lightweights.

TonyR
02-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Offseason cuts to begin today
Posted by Evan Silva on February 8, 2010 9:32 AM ET

The day after the Super Bowl is the first on which teams can begin releasing players.

The Jaguars will be cutting wide receiver Torry Holt and offensive tackle William "Tra" Thomas.

The Dolphins may cut linebacker Joey Porter, considering the embarrassment he caused during Super Bowl week. Safety Gibril Wilson is another candidate for release by Miami. According to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, the Dolphins would only consider keeping Wilson if he took a considerable pay cut.

Linebacker Adalius Thomas has violated the sacred Patriots code by revealing the team's internal affairs to the media. He is not expected back in New England.

Many teams may still be conducting in-house personnel evaluation, so we wouldn't expect a flurry of releases just yet. They will likely trickle in slowly leading up to March 5.

But teams that want to get rid of their roster fodder without further ado can begin doing so today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/08/offseason-cuts-to-begin-today/

Bigdawg26
02-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Let's get Adalius Thomas we really need a solid OLB. And grab Wilfork!!

elsid13
02-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Let's get Adalius Thomas we really need a solid OLB. And grab Wilfork!!

Thomas is going to NY were he hook up with his old coach Ryan.

Elway777
02-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I would like to get one defensive lineman in Ryan Pickett or Dwan Edwards. I also would not mind signing both guys . Pickett for 5 million and Edwards for 3 million. I also like Justin Banner for about 1.5 million if we cann't sign Edwards. Cory Redding is another guy I like. I hope the Broncos can sign a least one defensive lineman in free agency.I also want to bring back Nic Clemens who should of make the team over Smith.

Killericon
02-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Derek Anderson's roster bonus due March 19 (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/08/derek-andersons-roster-bonus-due-march-19/)

Posted by Evan Silva on February 8, 2010 11:59 AM ET
A source tells Scout.com's Adam Caplan that Browns quarterback Derek Anderson's offseason roster bonus is due on Friday the 19th (http://twitter.com/caplannfl/statuses/8813888790) of next month.

Anderson will be on the Browns' 53-man roster no longer than the bonus' due date.

Since Anderson's fluky 2007 Pro Bowl campaign, he has completed a pathetic 47.96 percent of his pass attempts with 12 touchdowns and 18 interceptions.

Some team will take a flier on Anderson because of his big arm, youth, and success two years ago, but he seems unlikely to get a realistic chance to start.

I want him in Blue and Orange.