PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Champ to sign Wilfork?

ZONA
02-06-2010, 02:10 AM
Was thinking about this. Probably the only way we could afford Wilfork is if we dumped Champs contract by trading him away. I know Champ is a big time favorite but Wilfork is a huge impact player right in the middle of the line, where we need help the most. I can't say I would be in favor of it unless we got a sweet pick or something for Champ, like a 2nd rounder, and then of course Wilfork signed. I would maybe do it.

Vladimir
02-06-2010, 02:14 AM
I would be torn if this was true.. Champ being my favorite player I would hate to see him playing for anyone else but I also love the Broncos as a team and if we could get a 2nd round pick for champ and sign Wilfork... It would be hard to say no.

24champ
02-06-2010, 02:23 AM
Probably the only way we could afford Wilfork is if we dumped Champs contract by trading him away.

Broncos can afford both.

How about this cool idea...why not add Wilfork and keep Champ Bailey?!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9q5YU9adHyE/SaIxv1QN1JI/AAAAAAAAAKY/wZQIJV2K8eM/s400/shocked_woman.jpg

Killericon
02-06-2010, 02:23 AM
Champ will probably restructure, but I tell you this much, the Pats can certainly afford him once they cut Adalius Thomas.

Florida_Bronco
02-06-2010, 02:30 AM
Broncos can afford both.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9q5YU9adHyE/SaIxv1QN1JI/AAAAAAAAAKY/wZQIJV2K8eM/s400/shocked_woman.jpg

Absolutely. We have tons of cap room and could fit bit of them with little if any trouble.

extralife
02-06-2010, 04:25 AM
I think there's a growing sense that we just don't have the kind of money to throw around at people in free agency anymore. I don't think we sign any name players, not even the NE ones. At the same time, if we don't do something significant with the D line at least, McD will be under some real heat.

The Joker
02-06-2010, 05:52 AM
He'll probably be franchised, so it's a moot point really.

That said, I don't think it'd be a smart move. Champ is the epitome of a team-first kind of player, he's the exact kind of guy from a character standpoint that McD has been adamant about bringing in since he got here. Dumping him for a 2nd round pick kind of flies in the face of everything he's been trying to establish since he became HC, especially when you're using the money to bring in a guy like Wilfork, who is essentially a complete mercenary and has more or less admitted as much.

elsid13
02-06-2010, 05:56 AM
I rather keep Champ, draft Dan Williams or Cam Thomas and let Chris Baker/Marcus Thomas develop.

Beantown Bronco
02-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Absolutely. We have tons of cap room and could fit bit of them with little if any trouble.

Ummmm, so could 31 other teams in a capless year......just sayin.

Beantown Bronco
02-06-2010, 07:29 AM
He'll probably be franchised, so it's a moot point really.

Why is it a moot point? The scenario presented in this thread is a trade for Wilfork. You do realize that teams can franchise tag their players and then trade them for whatever compensation they want, don't you? They're not locked into anything.

The Joker
02-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Why is it a moot point? The scenario presented in this thread is a trade for Wilfork. You do realize that teams can franchise tag their players and then trade them for whatever compensation they want, don't you? They're not locked into anything.

Nobody mentioned a trade regarding Wilfork.

Depends on compensation, but I'd be wary of giving Wilfork huge money on top of giving up a high pick for him. Guy is talking like a man who just wants to be paid. He's achieved everything he's ever going to as a player, with his weight problems he's a long way from a sure thing.

I'd rather draft a younger, hungrier NT like Dan Williams. (that'd be one hell of an eating contest though.)

Broncoman13
02-06-2010, 08:20 AM
If Wilfork is willing to work for a one year contract in Denver then go for it, but I am guessing he'd rather play for a SB contender if he's going to have to sign a one year deal. I fully expect he'll be a Jet. Uncapped year coming up and they'll be forced into putting a lot of their money into one player as they were a playoff team and are only losing three or four of their own, which means they can only sign one or two free agents. What a mess.

Drek
02-06-2010, 08:24 AM

The 8 best teams are actually only allowed to spend a dollar to dollar for what they lose.

So Baltimore, Arizona, Dallas, San Diego, NYJ, Minnesota, New Orleans, and Indy are all playing like they where dead on with the cap last year and only freed up money can now be spent.

As for the question at hand: No. What would be the point in that? Champ is essential for this defense to be good and he's got the athleticism, football IQ, and pedigree (having came up under Daryl Green) to play for a long time to come. He just had one of his better seasons to date. Replacing one elite talent with another isn't how you get better.

Thankfully we've got a ton of dead money and the like that Bowlen is no longer going to be accountable for. If there was a cap we'd be about $30M under it, before restructuring or releasing anyone.

The FO might still play it close to the vest financially because a lockout looks very possible, but if there is someone we really want the funds will be there to make it happen.

peacepipe
02-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Was thinking about this. Probably the only way we could afford Wilfork is if we dumped Champs contract by trading him away. I know Champ is a big time favorite but Wilfork is a huge impact player right in the middle of the line, where we need help the most. I can't say I would be in favor of it unless we got a sweet pick or something for Champ, like a 2nd rounder, and then of course Wilfork signed. I would maybe do it.

no, Bowlen can keep Champ & sign Wilfork. I wouldn't call a 2nd rounder a sweet pick for champ. Champ should retire a Bronco & go in the HOF as a Bronco.

TotallyScrewed
02-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Depends...Is this team rebuildiing?

If so, yes. Get what you can for Champ. He's entering, or maybe already in, that phase of the career where he's slowing down or more injury prone. Get what you can while you can.

If no, then no. Add Wilfork for a run at the prize. Champ is still good enough if the D-line will stop giving QB's that comfy feeling.

Beantown Bronco
02-06-2010, 09:44 AM
The 8 best teams are actually only allowed to spend a dollar to dollar for what they lose.

So Baltimore, Arizona, Dallas, San Diego, NYJ, Minnesota, New Orleans, and Indy are all playing like they where dead on with the cap last year and only freed up money can now be spent.

Like I said, 31 other teams. All of those teams are easily able to shed enough money from their current rosters to sign Wilfork.

Warner - gone....right there is what, $12 mil or so for this year?
Tomlinson - gone...
Minn - Favre
NO - Bush

This is with zero research. I'm sure the other teams could easily not resign the one or two players needed to free up the cash to sign Wilfork. Those 8 playoff teams are not as hamstrung by these rules as some make them out to be.

BroncoMan4ever
02-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Broncos can afford both.

i agree. restructure his deal and lessen his cap hit this season and bring Wilfork's massive ass over here.

oubronco
02-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Just keep Champ and draft Williams

Broncolorado
02-06-2010, 10:36 AM
if Wilfork played for us and his contract was up,everyone would be saying to franchise him.Don't you think that's what they're saying in New England?That's exactly what they'll do and anyone wanting him has to give up,what?,2 first round picks plus a mega contract.I think we can forget about it.

summerdenver
02-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Yes. Purely from business perspective i would trade a great player who is probably past his prime to get a young player at a position hard to fill.

DBroncos4life
02-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Question.... Who replaces Bailey in this move?

strafen
02-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Was thinking about this. Probably the only way we could afford Wilfork is if we dumped Champs contract by trading him away. I know Champ is a big time favorite but Wilfork is a huge impact player right in the middle of the line, where we need help the most. I can't say I would be in favor of it unless we got a sweet pick or something for Champ, like a 2nd rounder, and then of course Wilfork signed. I would maybe do it.At the point where both Wilfork and Champ stand in their careers, sure, I would pull off the trade.
We have a couple promising players in the secondary and this will be a good chance add some youth with the draft coming.
We can't wait for Champ to dictate when we need to replace him.

Champ has been all world in my opinion, but eventually father time comes knocking.

NFLBRONCO
02-06-2010, 02:01 PM

Ty Law:P

KipCorrington25
02-06-2010, 02:02 PM
On principle alone I wouldn't get ride of him for a Gaytriots player.

TheDave
02-06-2010, 02:07 PM

Fonzie...

He maches up real well in our division as a #1 CB. Hilarious!

DBroncos4life
02-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Fonzie...

He maches up real well in our division as a #1 CB. Hilarious!

The good thing about Fonzie is he is short so people can see over him on the sideline. I mean no one wants their view of the game blocked right?

Ty Law:P

Hell yeah maybe we can bring Patrick Surtain in too. :thumbsup:

WolfpackGuy
02-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Yes. Purely from business perspective i would trade a great player who is probably past his prime to get a young player at a position hard to fill.

I hear that. Branch Rickey would be proud.

Dedhed
02-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I think we could afford both, but there shouldn't be much debate over this. Champ, while still a favorite of mine, is on his last legs. Wilfork is 28, I think, and would have far greater value to this franchise moving forward.

You can build a 3-4 defense around an NT like Wilfork. You can't do the same with any CB.

Baba Booey
02-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Restructure Champ, sign the big man.

eddie mac
02-06-2010, 10:24 PM

If Wilfork does not get tagged (highly unlikely) he'll be heading to a big market non-final 4/8 team, as will the rest of the UFA's.

Denver's spending this season will totally depend on just how much Pat wants to invest in the team and more importantly what we as a team are bringing in financially.

The last revenue figures quoted by any decent source where from 2008 and had Denver 9th with $240m in revenue.

Here's the top 5 in comparison.

Washington Redskins 345M
New England Patriots 302M
Dallas Cowboys 280M
Houston Texans 256M
Philadelphia Eagles 250M

uplink
02-07-2010, 10:48 AM
keep champ and he goes to the HOF as a bronco. He can switch to safety in 3-4 years and still be a pro bowler at the position.

Beantown Bronco
02-07-2010, 11:11 AM
if Wilfork played for us and his contract was up,everyone would be saying to franchise him.Don't you think that's what they're saying in New England?That's exactly what they'll do and anyone wanting him has to give up,what?,2 first round picks plus a mega contract.I think we can forget about it.

NE has a history of tagging players and then taking far less for them than the "mandatory" two firsts in a trade. Having said that, he'd be worth giving up two first for. Outside of Clady, how many Broncos first rounders are still on this team and contributing on the level of a Vince Wilfork?

Beantown Bronco
02-07-2010, 11:11 AM
If Wilfork does not get tagged (highly unlikely) he'll be heading to a big market non-final 4/8 team, as will the rest of the UFA's.

In my scenarios, I'm counting on him being tagged.

ColoradoBuff
02-07-2010, 11:20 AM
i rather keep champ, draft dan williams or cam thomas and let chris baker/marcus thomas develop.

+1

Durango
02-07-2010, 03:43 PM

Yeah, gee, and CB was so easy for the Broncos to solidify. We only spent a decade and multiple high draft picks trying without success. Lets do it again. It was fun.