02-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Listen to McDaniels interview on 104.3 the FAN here:

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1193296

Summary:

what are you working on?

Our system is the same as last year - less learning curve than last year

We are evaluating our roster and scheme, trying to make improvements
it won't culminate until mid april, when we'll say playbook is complete

is it important to make a commitment to core of team moneywise? what is strategy?

There's alot of uncertainity. until the landscape is clear we have to be patient. we have to prepare for 2 different possibilities. no one arond the league is preparing new player contracts. we can't make decisions now with the uncertainty of collective bargaining

is there a new message from the head coach to the fans?

There is one team at Dove Valley. Nobody is happy with the
results this year. being 8-8 and the way we finished was very disappointing. we are doing everything we can to improve on that performance. more changes will be made to reach the level we want to get to. we fully expect to improve on 2009 performance

brandon marshall wants to remain a bronco, do you want him?

brandon and i have had a great relationship most of this past year.
to stereotype relationship based on 1 incident is not valid.
brandon had a pro bowl season. we've moved on from the incident at the
end of the season. brandon represented us well in the pro bowl

it is not a situation where brandon and i can't be on the same
team. i really like brandon marshall as a person. both sides want
to work together and we've proven we can do that

would you take your wife to Shanahans restaurant?

yes we would. I've never met Mike personally. I have no ill
feelings towards mike. I've admired him for the whole time i've
been in the nfl.

who is going to win the super bowl?

I think it'll be a good game. Most interested to see how New Orleans
tries to be aggressive at the same time of protecting Freeney and Mathis
just wrecking the game. Have to take care of those two. 2 pro bowl
defensive ends. saints have to score in the 30's to win

what do you think of drew brees?

when he uses the play fake he's helping out the linemen. he can
neutralize the pass rush with a great fake. as soon as he
comes off the fake he finds the safeties with his eyes. he
knows where he wants to go with the ball. very effective with
play action.

back to your defense - why promote from within?

martindale knows our defense inside and out. He'll be more
aggressive than last year. I will be very surprised if our defense
isn't better next year. This is going to give our defense a
chance to be one of the elite in football.

==========

Generally it was a pretty vanilla interview until the end, where McD raises his voice talking about the defense and how it is going to be more aggressive and better than last year. Perhaps that was the difference in styles between Nolan and mcd - Nolan wasn't aggressive enough.

LonghornBronco
02-05-2010, 08:00 PM
More aggressive? Shake n bake baby

gyldenlove
02-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I didn't listen to this one, but I feel Mcdaniels comes off much much better in interviews these days compared to earlier.

mr007
02-05-2010, 08:16 PM
This definitely goes against the idea that he got rid of Nolan for blitzing too much. I like the fact he says we're going to be more aggressive on D and is confident of having a better overall defense.

We'll see if the Marshall talk is just smoke, but I'm starting to have hope that he'll be around next year too.

tsiguy96
02-05-2010, 08:22 PM
same post as i did before, look down

strafen
02-05-2010, 08:30 PM
That's encouraging to hear about our defense being aggressive. Not sure about being better in terms of ranking above 7th in the NFL, but definiteli some consistency would be nice.

As for Marshall, I think he's got the message he can't let this one get away.
It will be too much too soon for another high-profile player to leave Denver under his short tenure...

DBroncos4life
02-05-2010, 08:34 PM
That's encouraging to hear about our defense being aggressive. Not sure about being better in terms of ranking above 7th in the NFL, but definiteli some consistency would be nice.

As for Marshall, I think he's got the message he can't let this one get away.
It will be too much too soon for another high-profile player to leave Denver under his short tenure...

Dude you of all people should know that our D ranked 12th not 7th.

strafen
02-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Dude you of all people should know that our D ranked 12th not 7th.Did we?
I haven't verified that. I thought we finished 7th.
I'll double check...
Thanks for the heads up...

strafen
02-05-2010, 08:42 PM
12th in the NFL in points allowed. 7th in ypg

DBroncos4life
02-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Did we?
I haven't verified that. I thought we finished 7th.
I'll double check...
Thanks for the heads up...

Lol in yards we finished 7th but in points allowed it was 12th, so going by what we have learned from the mane it was 12th.

WolfpackGuy
02-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Either way, A LOT better than 2008.

strafen
02-05-2010, 09:08 PM
The way the league ranks defenses is by total yards.
So, I stand correct. We finished 7th in the NFL in defense.

DBroncos4life
02-05-2010, 09:11 PM
The way the league ranks defenses is by total yards.
So, I stand correct. We finished 7th in the NFL in defense.

I guess you have never said the 08 offense was 2nd in the NFL in a thread before ;D

strafen
02-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I guess you have never said the 08 offense was 2nd in the NFL in a thread before ;DActually we were ranked 2nd in the NFL in total yards (395.8) and 3rd in passing yards (279.4) ;)

watermock
02-05-2010, 09:17 PM

What is he? A pathalogical liar?

Gob
02-05-2010, 09:19 PM
If McDaniels can get our defense to an elite level (for a full season or anywhere close) with that D-line of castoffs and backups (plus anyone he gets in free agency and/or the draft) and a newbie DC my mind will be blown. I would just be happy if he can keep the D top 15 while moving the offense into top 15 too.

maher_tyler
02-05-2010, 09:21 PM
I really hope we can lock up BM and Doom for the next 5-7 years..i'd be pretty disappointed to see either of them go!!

watermock
02-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Good thing we spent 6 of 9 picks on offense, huh.

WolfpackGuy
02-05-2010, 09:24 PM
What is he? A pathalogical liar?

Brandon likes his voice.

maher_tyler
02-05-2010, 09:25 PM

I think you could use both of these...

http://www.diangy.com/filemanager/files/Pictures/CUT%20-%20budlight%20bikini%20copy.jpg

DBroncos4life
02-05-2010, 09:27 PM

I think you could use both of these...

http://www.diangy.com/filemanager/files/Pictures/CUT%20-%20budlight%20bikini%20copy.jpg[/QUOTE]

I want one! I want one!

broncswin
02-05-2010, 09:28 PM

God your a DipshiatHilarious!

watermock
02-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Name even 1 truely IMPACT player from last years draft.

snowspot66
02-05-2010, 09:50 PM

Oh wow, a rookie didn't have a massive impact for us, that never happens. Every other teams rookies instantly light the world on fire.

broncocalijohn
02-05-2010, 09:58 PM

do you ever consider that we got free agency guys on defense last year? Dawkins for one.

DBroncos4life
02-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Oh wow, a rookie didn't have a massive impact for us, that never happens. Every other teams rookies instantly light the world on fire.

I don't want to judge our rookie class already but come on man we had 5 picks in the first two rounds. Moreno played well enough and McBath was OK on SP teams. The first two rounds are where you get the impact players and we had 5 of the 64 picks available and we came up a little lacking by some peoples opinion in the instant impact department.

KipCorrington25
02-05-2010, 10:32 PM
If he thinks Orton is acceptable then he sucks.

Kaylore
02-05-2010, 11:18 PM
FYI Nolan is not a blitzer and never has been. Montrose made a thread about this last year actually pointing out that Nolan has always prefered to get a lot of guys that are good in and just let them beat the guy in front of them rather than send lots of pressure.

McDaniels wants to send more pressure more regularly and create schemes that can lead to big plays.

Obviously there has to be some balance, but I tend think Nolan is a bit too cautious. Especially when you have the veteran secondary that we do, I would think sending more blitz packages in would be a boon. "Beating the guy in front of you" is fine and dandy but it requires every single position on the field being better than your opponent to really be dominant. That just doesn't happen. You're always going to have match-up problems in the NFL. So while I agree with his philosophy in principle, practically speaking you need to dial up some new stuff. Not only will it keep opposing offenses on their toes but it will make the grind of the season more fun for the players.

Durango
02-05-2010, 11:33 PM

Well, can't say about other teams, although I'm certain they do make greater impacts than most, if not all of Denvers' picks, but just sticking to rookie DENVER RBs:

Clinton Portis Made a huge impact as a rookie, as did Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Glyn Milburn, Bobby Humphrey, Gerald Wilhite, Otis Armstrong, Jon Keyworth and Floyd Little.

AS ROOKIES.

watermock
02-05-2010, 11:42 PM
With the rules now totally biased toward flag football, getting pressure isn't an option, it's essential.

watermock
02-05-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't know what planet you came from, but with 5 picks in the first 64, you better get at least a couple impact players.

ZONA
02-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Actually we were ranked 2nd in the NFL in total yards (395.8) and 3rd in passing yards (279.4) ;)

Wrong - we ranked 7th in total yards per game allowed at 315

Think about what you are saying. You think a team that allowed nearly 400 yards of offense per game would rank 2nd in yards allowed? That's wrong. We ranked 7th in total yards allowed at 315 YPG. FYI - there was no team in the NFL that allowed 395 yards per game. The Lions were the worst at 392 yards, which is ranked #32.

Killericon
02-06-2010, 01:22 AM

Think about what you are saying. You think a team that allowed nearly 400 yards of offense per game would rank 2nd in yards allowed? That's wrong. We ranked 7th in total yards allowed at 315 YPG. FYI - there was no team in the NFL that allowed 395 yards per game. The Lions were the worst at 392 yards, which is ranked #32.

He's talking about the '08 offence, I think.

tsiguy96
02-06-2010, 05:54 AM
we get it, the draft wasnt great, no one said it was, can we move on already? ****

misturanderson
02-06-2010, 09:02 AM
we get it, the draft wasnt great, no one said it was, can we move on already? ****

It would be more accurate to say that this year's draft class didn't have a great impact on our team as rookies (it is unfair to call the class anything until the end of next year at the earliest). I don't think we should be expecting big rookie years as much anymore, either.

I get the impression that, while McDaniels would be more than willing to play a rookie as a full time starter if he is the best player at his position on the team, he would rather develop our rookies in limited action so that they are less likely to be overwhelmed their rookie year. I think he also wants to limit the number of rookie mistakes that have an impact on our season.

Gone are the days of instant gratification with rookies where we try as hard as we can to give our 1st and 2nd rounders a starting spot even if they aren't ready. Hopefully in the near future we won't be in positions any more where we have starting players (Engleberger) that are so bad that a rookie should automatically be better than they are.

Cito Pelon
02-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Interesting that Josh mentions play-action. I bet that's an aspect of the O he wants to get better at.

oubronco
02-06-2010, 09:14 AM

It doesn't sound like McD is hellbent on getting rid of Marshall to me

Cito Pelon
02-06-2010, 09:14 AM

3 of the first 4 picks were for defense, dork.

TotallyScrewed
02-06-2010, 09:26 AM
FYI Nolan is not a blitzer and never has been. Montrose made a thread about this last year actually pointing out that Nolan has always prefered to get a lot of guys that are good in and just let them beat the guy in front of them rather than send lots of pressure.

McDaniels wants to send more pressure more regularly and create schemes that can lead to big plays.

Obviously there has to be some balance, but I tend think Nolan is a bit too cautious. Especially when you have the veteran secondary that we do, I would think sending more blitz packages in would be a boon. "Beating the guy in front of you" is fine and dandy but it requires every single position on the field being better than your opponent to really be dominant. That just doesn't happen. You're always going to have match-up problems in the NFL. So while I agree with his philosophy in principle, practically speaking you need to dial up some new stuff. Not only will it keep opposing offenses on their toes but it will make the grind of the season more fun for the players.

IMHO, the biggest help for this defense is vastly better offense. Score, chew clock, rest the defense, allow the defense to take chances. So if they want to spend 6-9 nine picks on offense this year, go ahead. BUT, please make 'em count...Interior O-Line for one, QB for another, Interior Oline again...

You get the idea.

oubronco
02-06-2010, 09:30 AM
IMHO, the biggest help for this defense is vastly better offense. Score, chew clock, rest the defense, allow the defense to take chances. So if they want to spend 6-9 nine picks on offense this year, go ahead. BUT, please make 'em count...Interior O-Line for one, QB for another, Interior Oline again...

You get the idea.

It works for the Saints

strafen
02-06-2010, 11:15 AM

Think about what you are saying. You think a team that allowed nearly 400 yards of offense per game would rank 2nd in yards allowed? That's wrong. We ranked 7th in total yards allowed at 315 YPG. FYI - there was no team in the NFL that allowed 395 yards per game. The Lions were the worst at 392 yards, which is ranked #32.I'm talking about the offense man.

strafen
02-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Interesting that Josh mentions play-action. I bet that's an aspect of the O he wants to get better at.I don't think we saw much of that, but that would be a nice added dimension to our offense...

DenverBrit
02-06-2010, 11:27 AM

It doesn't sound like McD is hellbent on getting rid of Marshall to me

Interestingly, I haven't seen or heard one word from the Broncos organization indicating they plan to let BM go anywhere.

strafen
02-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Interestingly, I haven't seen or heard one word from the Broncos organization indicating they plan to let BM go anywhere.

There were some rumors last week that BM would be traded after March 5th.
You can only assume this type of information may have leaked from the Broncos organization.
Oddly enough, the majoritiy of people supporting a BM trade have been the McDaniels' supporters of this board...

Paladin
02-06-2010, 11:53 AM

Aw, h3ll. All you are doing is messing up a perfectly good snit by the morons, screwballs, retards and other McD haters and addled team bashers. Logic and undertanding are not virtues enjoyed by that crowd.

DenverBrit
02-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Aw, h3ll. All you are doing is messing up a perfectly good snit by the morons, screwballs, retards and other McD haters and addled team bashers. Logic and undertanding are not virtues enjoyed by that crowd.

Sometimes, facts slow down the hysteria.

But on the Mane.......well, it's different here. ;D

bowtown
02-06-2010, 04:20 PM
There were some rumors last week that BM would be traded after March 5th.
You can only assume this type of information may have leaked from the Broncos organization.
Oddly enough, the majoritiy of people supporting a BM trade have been the McDaniels' supporters of this board...

I actually think there is a much better chance that it leaked from Brandon Marshall's people, just like the "Bowlen said he'd trade me" stuff at the beigning of the season.