PDA

View Full Version : Workers paid 10 cents for each $80 NFL jersey

HEAV
02-05-2010, 05:50 PM
NFL jerseys have been sewn under illegal sweatshop conditions at the Chi Fung factory in El Salvador for at least the last four years, according to a new report by the National Labor Committee. Often forced to work 12-hour shifts, workers were at the factory 61 to 65 hours a week, including 12 to 15 hours of obligatory overtime, which was unpaid. The workers were paid a below-subsistence wage of just 72 cents an hour, which meets less than a quarter of a family’s basic subsistence needs for food, housing, healthcare and clothing. An assembly line of 28 workers had a mandatory production goal of completing 2,300 NFL jerseys in the regular nine-hour shift, from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The production goal was 255 jerseys per hour, which meant that each of the 28 workers in effect had to sew nine jerseys per hour, or one jersey every 6.6 minutes. The workers were paid just 10 cents for each $80 Peyton Manning NFL jersey they sewed. This means that their wages amounted to just a little more than one-tenth of one percent of the jersey’s retail price. — PR Newswire

SoDak Bronco
02-05-2010, 05:56 PM
wow, kinda funny the add below this article is selling whole jerseys for 21 dollars..lol

gtown
02-05-2010, 06:49 PM
And people wonder why manufacturing jobs have been offshored.

ZONA
02-05-2010, 06:59 PM
And people wonder why manufacturing jobs have been offshored.

Because the senior level men of the corporations must have their billion dollar salaries because millions aint enough. Their logic is simple. Screw making millions and at the same time provide jobs for Americans. I can just have my stuff made overseas and I can make trillions and who cares about America.

**** them fat cats. Bring on the revolution against corporations. :strong:

easymobee
02-05-2010, 07:02 PM
I can only worry about myself anymore ..... besides 10 cents in El Salvador will buy an ounce of coke and 2 Vietnamese "massage therapists" for the night.

I apologize in advance.

KipCorrington25
02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
The light should be shown on those cockroach executives that are behind this. We all know it goes on but lets name names and let them justify it.

BroncoMan4ever
02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
NFL jerseys have been sewn under illegal sweatshop conditions at the Chi Fung factory in El Salvador for at least the last four years, according to a new report by the National Labor Committee. Often forced to work 12-hour shifts, workers were at the factory 61 to 65 hours a week, including 12 to 15 hours of obligatory overtime, which was unpaid. The workers were paid a below-subsistence wage of just 72 cents an hour, which meets less than a quarter of a family’s basic subsistence needs for food, housing, healthcare and clothing. An assembly line of 28 workers had a mandatory production goal of completing 2,300 NFL jerseys in the regular nine-hour shift, from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The production goal was 255 jerseys per hour, which meant that each of the 28 workers in effect had to sew nine jerseys per hour, or one jersey every 6.6 minutes. The workers were paid just 10 cents for each $80 Peyton Manning NFL jersey they sewed. This means that their wages amounted to just a little more than one-tenth of one percent of the jersey’s retail price. — PR Newswire

i need to find a worker like this and tell them i will give them 10 bucks for an hour of work if they can give me 9 Broncos jerseys in that hour.

that would be around an 1100% pay raise.

BroncoMan4ever
02-05-2010, 07:18 PM
2754 paid out daily on a business that is making 184,000 a day. Meaning after the workers are paid and supplies are factored in, i recall reading that the jerseys we buy are made of materials that cost around 10 bucks. so with 2300 jerseys that comes out to a total of 23000 a day to make the jerseys plus an additional 2754 to the workers and that comes out to 25754 paid out each day to make the 2300 jerseys every day. Meaning these company owners profit 158,246 every day.

i know it is wrong and people will never admit to it, but just about anyone would gladly own a company that made that kind of money everyday.

Popps
02-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Because the senior level men of the corporations must have their billion dollar salaries because millions aint enough. Their logic is simple. Screw making millions and at the same time provide jobs for Americans. I can just have my stuff made overseas and I can make trillions and who cares about America.

I hear you, but corporations still employ half of the country. There's a lot more that goes into the equation than a couple of "fat cats" wanting to screw Americans. Americans themselves demand cheap products.... higher stock prices... and many other things that cause some of these companies to do what they do.

That's a VERY complex issue you're touching on, as much as I agree with your sentiment.

Archer81
02-05-2010, 07:31 PM

Yup. US law and tax rates on businesses have nothing to do with why companies go overseas.

:Broncos:

Gob
02-05-2010, 08:04 PM
The things these articles never mention is that the "below subsistence" wages they are paid are often the best wages they can get in that area, usually considerably more the other ways of making a living there (which is why they chose to work at the factory), and closing down the factory will only make things worse for the people there. On the other hand, if they are doing illegal things like mandatory unpaid overtime (at least I hope that is illegal there), that is a seperate issue.

DenverBrit
02-05-2010, 08:08 PM
I can only worry about myself anymore ..... besides 10 cents in El Salvador will buy an ounce of coke and 2 Vietnamese "massage therapists" for the night.

I apologize in advance.

Link??

~Crash~
02-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Yup. US law and tax rates on businesses have nothing to do with why companies go overseas.

:Broncos:

when you bring that said money in you do .

DBroncos4life
02-05-2010, 09:04 PM
according to an article on google the average salary is 1.41 per hour in El Salvador so they are getting about half of what they should be.

Gob
02-05-2010, 09:15 PM
according to an article on google the average salary is 1.41 per hour in El Salvador so they are getting about half of what they should be.

apparently then the workers that chose to work at the factory in question are either unaware of this fact, unqualified for the average job, or are unusually stupid

BroncoMan4ever
02-05-2010, 09:28 PM

I apologize in advance.

that exchange rate reminded me of the last minute and a half of this video

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JbcH_qYkeTc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JbcH_qYkeTc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

broncocalijohn
02-05-2010, 09:31 PM
I guess we should buy those knockoffs from China or Korea as their workers are getting more than $.10 an hour. Show the man who runs the show! If they look this good, count me in for a dozen.

gyldenlove
02-05-2010, 09:31 PM
apparently then the workers that chose to work at the factory in question are either unaware of this fact, unqualified for the average job, or are unusually stupid

Low tech manufacturing jobs always get paid below average wages.

DBroncos4life
02-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I guess we should buy those knockoffs from China or Korea as their workers are getting more than $.10 an hour. Show the man who runs the show! If they look this good, count me in for a dozen.

The color really makes those look fake.

Gob
02-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Low tech manufacturing jobs always get paid below average wages.

Yet people still work those jobs because they are the best available option for those who chose to work there, or at least the people who work there think so. My point in all this is that the people there are not stupid. The factory jobs offer a choice, the crappy conditions and .72 cents an hour vs the other options available to those specific people to survive. The people who work there are chosing the .72 cents an hour job, and its not because they are stupid or helpless. It is because that job helps them more then the alternatives available to them. Changing the situation (particularly giving a pay raise that would satisfy a American critic) would kill the incentive to have a factory in El Salvador and the job would go somewhere closer, and those people would lose the choice and opportunity they had (however crappy it may seem to us), while everyone patted themselves on the back in American about how they helped them out.

Rock Chalk
02-05-2010, 09:54 PM

Misleading.
Average salaries are all salaries for all jobs. Including the "upper tier" jobs.

Sewing jerseys is a menial task. A more relevant number would be the "minimum wage" in El Salvadore if they have one. I bet its closer to 72 cents an hour than it is to 1.41 an hour.

I know a lot of people in America that make less than HALF the average wage in this country so why is this a big deal in El Salvador? Its not, its just some stupid ****ing reporter trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

And Zona, no corporate CEOs make billions and very few of them make millions on their salaries. You will find a good deal of those people making six figures. A good income but hardly enough to force them to send jobs overseas. They are rich yes, but its not their salaries that makes them rich, its the stock market. ANd the simple fact is, MOST people that play the stock market dont give a damn where something is made, just that the stock doesnt tank and thats THEIR job. See, its not only the workers whose salaries they control, its the investors and if they want to keep their job they have to keep the investors happy, i.e. the bottom line. Why pay an overweight, lazy, stupid, entitled American a job at 20 bucks an hour when you can go pay some other poor slub in another country a job at 72 cents an hour and while that isn't a good wage even in his own country its a better wage for him than 20 an hour is for the lazy fat American.

American's are all pissed jobs left. Get over it. Adapt. Thats what American's used to do. Instead they want to sit there in their depressed, uneducated life and complain instead of doing something to ensure that they have work. Work that is still being done here and there is LOTS of it. So much of it that we actually IMPORT most of the labor because you ****ing Americans are too god damn stupid to do it.

Broncolorado
02-05-2010, 10:06 PM
and proud of it

watermock
02-05-2010, 10:08 PM
I hear you, but corporations still employ half of the country. There's a lot more that goes into the equation than a couple of "fat cats" wanting to screw Americans. Americans themselves demand cheap products.... higher stock prices... and many other things that cause some of these companies to do what they do.

That's a VERY complex issue you're touching on, as much as I agree with your sentiment.

Actually it's not. How would you having to put your daughter(s) thru that to feed them while they missed school?

Bring the jobs HOME. All this globalization crap is going to turn th US into it's own Banana Republic.

DBroncos4life
02-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Misleading.
Average salaries are all salaries for all jobs. Including the "upper tier" jobs.

Sewing jerseys is a menial task. A more relevant number would be the "minimum wage" in El Salvadore if they have one. I bet its closer to 72 cents an hour than it is to 1.41 an hour.

I know a lot of people in America that make less than HALF the average wage in this country so why is this a big deal in El Salvador? Its not, its just some stupid ****ing reporter trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

And Zona, no corporate CEOs make billions and very few of them make millions on their salaries. You will find a good deal of those people making six figures. A good income but hardly enough to force them to send jobs overseas. They are rich yes, but its not their salaries that makes them rich, its the stock market. ANd the simple fact is, MOST people that play the stock market dont give a damn where something is made, just that the stock doesnt tank and thats THEIR job. See, its not only the workers whose salaries they control, its the investors and if they want to keep their job they have to keep the investors happy, i.e. the bottom line. Why pay an overweight, lazy, stupid, entitled American a job at 20 bucks an hour when you can go pay some other poor slub in another country a job at 72 cents an hour and while that isn't a good wage even in his own country its a better wage for him than 20 an hour is for the lazy fat American.

American's are all pissed jobs left. Get over it. Adapt. Thats what American's used to do. Instead they want to sit there in their depressed, uneducated life and complain instead of doing something to ensure that they have work. Work that is still being done here and there is LOTS of it. So much of it that we actually IMPORT most of the labor because you ****ing Americans are too god damn stupid to do it.

I suppose it is a tad misleading (I wasn't trying too) but according to the list the average American salary (without benefits) is $8.50 hour minimum wage starts at $7.25 so I don't know how you know people that are making less then that. I agree with most of what you are saying though. It's not like these people are getting **** on when you stop and look at what the rest of the country is making.

strafen
02-05-2010, 10:19 PM
NFL jerseys have been sewn under illegal sweatshop conditions at the Chi Fung factory in El Salvador for at least the last four years, according to a new report by the National Labor Committee. Often forced to work 12-hour shifts, workers were at the factory 61 to 65 hours a week, including 12 to 15 hours of obligatory overtime, which was unpaid. The workers were paid a below-subsistence wage of just 72 cents an hour, which meets less than a quarter of a family’s basic subsistence needs for food, housing, healthcare and clothing. An assembly line of 28 workers had a mandatory production goal of completing 2,300 NFL jerseys in the regular nine-hour shift, from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The production goal was 255 jerseys per hour, which meant that each of the 28 workers in effect had to sew nine jerseys per hour, or one jersey every 6.6 minutes. The workers were paid just 10 cents for each $80 Peyton Manning NFL jersey they sewed. This means that their wages amounted to just a little more than one-tenth of one percent of the jersey’s retail price. — PR NewswireThat's pretty disturbed

watermock
02-05-2010, 10:26 PM
It's funny how people think they a paid even a measly 1.70 or whatever.

The article clearly states "illegal".

The really sad thing is it totally makes a farce of the Monroe Doctrine.