PDA

View Full Version : Brian Price -- Fit for our defense?

Requiem
02-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I've read a lot of conflicting reports regarding Price. He has a nice low center of gravity and gets good leverage when disrupting on the inside. I don't think he has what it takes to be a nose tackle in our 3-4, and see him best as as 3-technique guy in the NFL. I'm not sure he moves laterally well enough to play the 5 technique for us, and multiple places have questioned his strength at the point of attack. However, I came across a KC Joyner article from ESPN stating that Price had one of the best rush defense metrics in all of college football last year.

Anyone think that Price could fit the bill for us as a DE in our scheme or do you think he's a lock to play the 3-tech for a 4-3 team?

elsid13
02-05-2010, 12:25 PM
I think Price is going to be very good UT. I don't see him making impact as a DE in 3/4

Paladin
02-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Sounds like a Powell redux.....

meangene
02-05-2010, 02:08 PM
He is one of my favorite players in this draft and I absolutely think he could play DE for us. The only real difference between him and Suh and McCoy IMO is height. Very similar type of powerful and disruptive player. Off-the-charts production.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
02-05-2010, 11:54 PM
It's a good question. You can't rule out the option, but his size does make it prohibitive. The issue becomes whether he has the technique and leverage mastery to handle the rigours of a 3-4 DE. Alualu is in a similar boat, but his technique, experience, and leverage mastery show he can excel despite less than ideal size.

If I wanted a 3-4 DE in the Mid-1st though, it would be Odrick. I see zero flaws in his game, and he has the size as well.

meangene
02-06-2010, 03:17 AM
It's a good question. You can't rule out the option, but his size does make it prohibitive. The issue becomes whether he has the technique and leverage mastery to handle the rigours of a 3-4 DE. Alualu is in a similar boat, but his technique, experience, and leverage mastery show he can excel despite less than ideal size.

If I wanted a 3-4 DE in the Mid-1st though, it would be Odrick. I see zero flaws in his game, and he has the size as well.

I like Odrick as well and he has the prototypical size for a 3-4 DE. I still can't help to think that Price is going to be a special player.

PRBronco
02-10-2010, 08:31 AM

Good to see you out and posting MUG!