View Full Version : Players expect a lockout, told to save their money

oubronco
02-05-2010, 06:03 AM
Players expect a lockout, told to save their money
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/05/2010 01:00:00 AM MST
Updated: 02/05/2010 01:15:59 AM MST

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. In a lengthy, well-organized news conference featuring current and former stars, including Barry Sanders, the NFL players union on Thursday said it is expecting a lockout in 2011.

"On the scale of 1 to 10, it's a 14," NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said, answering a question posed by Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco, "working" as a "journalist" at the media center.

Smith also said it will be "virtually impossible" for the league to return to a salary cap structure if the 2010 season is indeed an uncapped year.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will hold his news conference today and undoubtedly address the labor strife from the league's viewpoint.

Union president Kevin Mawae of the Tennessee Titans said the union has been working this year to make sure players are preparing themselves for the possibly of being unemployed after the end of the 2010 season.

That message has carried over to the Broncos, said veteran defensive end Vonnie Holliday, who watched the union's presentation from near the back of the room at the Fort Lauderdale Convention Center.

"I found through the season, guys continued to talk about what's going on. I think ultimately what can hurt us as a union, we're only as strong as every individual player and their ability to sustain during the lockout," Holliday said. "And it starts with saving your money."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14338512#ixzz0efbnuCUS

Man-Goblin
02-05-2010, 06:34 AM
The biggest sticking point is supposedly that the owners are asking that the salary cap be reduced by 18%, but they won't open up their books to prove why.

I never, ever thought that it would get to an uncapped year, but it sure looks like it's going to happen. I think the players are in for quite a shock that it won't be the financial windfall this year that they are expecting. There's probably going to be plenty of franchise tags for the unrestricted guys (I believe each team has 3 tags), and most of the restricted guys are going to be staying put at a bargain price.

supermanhr9
02-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Wow, football is about to suck. Well atleast I have Notre Dame and Nebraska to watch.

Hogan11
02-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Wow, football is about to suck. Well atleast I have Notre Dame and Nebraska to watch.

and the UFL.....ROFL!

bronclvr
02-05-2010, 07:02 AM

Go Huskers!

zdoor
02-05-2010, 07:04 AM
A strike would be a huge mistake when you have the best thing going in sports.

bronco militia
02-05-2010, 07:12 AM
the Owners will bust up the players union again...

Rohirrim
02-05-2010, 07:32 AM
I never thought I would stop following baseball, but all the greed, drugs and strikes killed it for me. Now, my interest is lukewarm, at best. The greedy bastards on both sides of this issue have to understand one thing: If you work at it hard enough, you can kill a fan's interest in the sport. In the old Aesop fable, The Goose that Laid the Golden Eggs, an old farmer and his wife have a goose that lays one golded egg every day. One day, they get greedy and feel that one a day isn't good enough. They aren't getting rich enough, fast enough. So they kill the goose, thinking that its insides must be solid gold and will make them even richer. They find out its just a goose, like any other goose. That's what the idiots in the NFL (both owners and players) are going to find out. You can cut the goose open, but that will be the end of the golden eggs. There's a reason this story has lasted thousands of years.

Taco John
02-05-2010, 07:34 AM
We're going to have to play one long assed game of Survivor here that year. Maybe dust off some bingo cards.

rastaman
02-05-2010, 08:27 AM
the Owners will bust up the players union again...

The corporate owners initially will have the upper hand b/c the players will run out of money and the fans are stupid enough to go watch games with scab busting players who just want a paycheck and to say they played in the NFL.

In the end should the owners over play their hand the players may take on the attitude of just viewing owner as a necessary evil just to receive a pay check and loath team owners for their entire careers and just not indorse the image of the franchise they play for.

If this happens the over all image of the NFL will suffer even more. Should the players take on the attituded of SCREW management and the owner b/c as players their only there do make money as much money as possible it will alienate the fan base in terms of merchandise. The owners are in it for money and the players are in it for money and the fans fail to realize they are really customers who supports the products that an NFL owner is selling.

Crushaholic
02-05-2010, 09:10 AM
I guess that means we better win the Super Bowl this season. Guys like Dawkins don't stop aging, just because there is no football...

bronco militia
02-05-2010, 09:18 AM
the owners will make more money not having to pay players salaries while the networks continue to pay.

I've been saying this all along. The players union is ****ed!

SonOfLe-loLang
02-05-2010, 09:28 AM
It's really amazing how ****ing retarded the human race can be. You'd think some unstoppable alien force was preventing us from progress. Its just ****ing GREED. **** us all

WABronco
02-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Yawn same **** different day.

Bronco Yoda
02-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Is that American Needles case still before the SCOTA?

All hell would/will break loose if the NFL get's it's way with that one. I'm talking full scale sports world armegedden. It could turn upside down all the major sports.

gtown
02-05-2010, 10:45 AM
This is not good for the league at a time when people are struggling to make ends meet. The owners and players are gonna be portrayed as spoiled, justifiably so, and we are gonna get the shaft. In the end, the players won't back down from their rediculous salary demands, the owners won't back down from their revenue targets and profit margins, and we will be stuck with higher ticket prices, more expensive access to Direct TV, etc. The one group that does not have a seat at the table are NFL's customers. So it's gonna be higher prices for everything or no football for awhile. Wow, what a choice...

rastaman
02-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I guess that means we better win the Super Bowl this season. Guys like Dawkins don't stop aging, just because there is no football...

This could also spell the end of Champ Bailey in Denver as well. Look for Champ to possible return to the team that drafted him and reunite with Shanahan.

OBF1
02-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I wish that in my field of work that we got over 50% of the profit handed over to us. I fully understand the owners point of view on this one.

Bronco Yoda
02-05-2010, 11:02 AM
I wish that in my field of work that we got over 50% of the profit handed over to us. I fully understand the owners point of view on this one.

I do to. Too bad it isn't that simple. The Owners are going for it all now. They are going for the kill shot. Which will not only cost the players, coaches & sports junk hawkers...but us the fans as well.

If they win that case and gain total immunity from antitrust litigation and establish "single entity"... oh boy. ****s going to hit the sports fan!

oubronco
02-05-2010, 11:13 AM
The players are making too damn much money and it keeps getting higher especially with the unproven rookies and the owners are going to take control of it

rastaman
02-05-2010, 11:18 AM

Naw the owners win coming and going. Even if owner fails to put a winning product out on the field....THEY STILL GET PAID MILLIONS OF DOLLARS for as long as they own the team, and we are talking for 40-50 years! Should a player become injured or suffer a career ending injury their potentia or opportuninty to earn millions are immediately at risk. Also, at this stage only the players signing bonuses are guaranteed the remainder of their contracts are not. Teams can let the players go at any time.

rastaman
02-05-2010, 11:19 AM
The players are making too damn much money and it keeps getting higher especially with the unproven rookies and the owners are going to take control of it

So when do we have the argumet that the owners are making too much money!

oubronco
02-05-2010, 11:20 AM
So when do we have the argumet that the owners are making too much money!

Doesn't matter they "OWN" the team

That One Guy
02-05-2010, 11:23 AM
I don't want to see a lockout but if it happens, it might be for the best. Sometimes I wonder how much time I've lost following football so closely when I really resent everything about those who benefit from my following. I really enjoy the sport though and love to watch it. If I were able to break myself of it, I'd probably count my blessings and never look back.

rastaman
02-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Doesn't matter they "OWN" the team

Yes they own the team, but while the owners sit in they're luxury boxes looking down at their subjects perform as entertainment monkey's for their Romanesque Galdiator pleasure, the owners must understand the staduim is full, their franchise value increases b/c of the players!

The fans don't go to the games to cheer while watching NFL royalty sit in there temperature controlled luxury boxes! The fans come to see the PLAYERS PERFORM. Hopefully the owners in their lustful corporate greed don't forget this very important fact.

COMPROMISE FROM BOTH SIDE IS OF THE ORDER.

oubronco
02-05-2010, 11:30 AM
I agree with compomise but I'm just sayin the owners are going to take control and if the players don't like it they can always go do something else

rastaman
02-05-2010, 11:33 AM
I don't want to see a lockout but if it happens, it might be for the best. Sometimes I wonder how much time I've lost following football so closely when I really resent everything about those who benefit from my following. I really enjoy the sport though and love to watch it. If I were able to break myself of it, I'd probably count my blessings and never look back.

I think people who follow the NFL and revel in it as die-hard fans need to realize that these NFL teams aren't so much as teams in the sense that they are 100 million dollar corporate franchises. Corporations don't have fans....they have cusomers!

The NFL is a Corporate business and like any corporation they are selling a product. We as fans are really customer b/c the NFL has targeted fans as customers to buy their products in terms of tickets and merchandise.

You noticed that every NFL stadium has a corporate name, so therefore the Franchise is a corporation and fans are no longer fans but are now customers.

Thats the hard truth and reality.

Taco John
02-05-2010, 11:34 AM
There is such a thing as making too much money? This is a problem that I'd like to have.

Killericon
02-05-2010, 11:36 AM
There is such a thing as making too much money?

That sounds pretty COMMUNIST TO ME!

I jest. This thing is ****ing retarded. The NHL lockout made sense. This one wouldn't. Keep the salary cap, implement a rookie pay scale, get some killer pension and keep the status quo. People fighting over who gets how much of the golden egg...Absolutely retarded.

Bronco_Beerslug
02-05-2010, 11:39 AM
The biggest sticking point is supposedly that the owners are asking that the salary cap be reduced by 18%, but they won't open up their books to prove why.

NFL owners are idiots! Still selling out stadiums and NFL products enjoying record sales. Nothing but idiots.

oubronco
02-05-2010, 11:39 AM

I jest. This thing is ****ing retarded. The NHL lockout made sense. This one wouldn't. Keep the salary cap, implement a rookie pay scale, get some killer pension and keep the status quo. People fighting over who gets how much of the golden egg...Absolutely retarded.

Exactly set the scale and let um play

rastaman
02-05-2010, 11:43 AM
I agree with compomise but I'm just sayin the owners are going to take control and if the players don't like it they can always go do something else

True. The only recourse for players should the owners go scorched earth-Genghis Kahn on the player's union; is to treat the owners w/o sense of loyalty and respect and just treat them as a $$$ sign and look out for themselves.

In other words putting the team and franchise first goes out the window and the players take on a mercenary attitude to always look at who or how they can make the most money! What are the owners going to do? Not pay the players b/c the players refuse to grovel down to their Gladiator Romanesque Luxury Box sitting Owners.

The players could very well loath the owners when they appear in the locker rooms after important playoff victories or SB's. Again what are the owners going to do cut the entire team.

Players could / would demand obscene appearance fees from the owners or sponsors who want players to endorse Francine products or community/city events within the city they play in. So in the end the owners would not have won in the end.

Sometimes Greed and the lack of compromise breeds contempt and a lack of respect and trust.

rastaman
02-05-2010, 11:46 AM

With maybe one important caveat for the players....their contracts should be guaranteed for the life of the contract. For instant a career ending injury doesn't null n void their contract.

rastaman
02-05-2010, 11:49 AM
NFL owners are idiots! Still selling out stadiums and NFL products enjoying record sales. Nothing but idiots.

Corporate Greed and Elitism on behalf of the owners.

OBF1
02-05-2010, 11:52 AM
This message is hidden because rastaman is on your ignore list.

rastaman
02-05-2010, 11:56 AM

Let the recored show that CBF1 will soon be on ignore as well.

cutthemdown
02-05-2010, 12:03 PM
I think people who follow the NFL and revel in it as die-hard fans need to realize that these NFL teams aren't so much as teams in the sense that they are 100 million dollar corporate franchises. Corporations don't have fans....they have cusomers!

The NFL is a Corporate business and like any corporation they are selling a product. We as fans are really customer b/c the NFL has targeted fans as customers to buy their products in terms of tickets and merchandise.

You noticed that every NFL stadium has a corporate name, so therefore the Franchise is a corporation and fans are no longer fans but are now customers.

Thats the hard truth and reality.

not every stadium brother. More misinformation from the communist.

cutthemdown
02-05-2010, 12:05 PM
With maybe one important caveat for the players....their contracts should be guaranteed for the life of the contract. For instant a career ending injury doesn't null n void their contract.

If you want that then salaries have to come way down. Way way way down. Like no more then 3 million a yr for any player. Hard to garauntee like baseball or basketball because

1- there are a ton of football players on a team
2- football players get injured often

cutthemdown
02-05-2010, 12:06 PM

Should every american get a contract like that for there job? So when you can't work you get full pay to the end of it. Just wondering if you single out football players for special treatment.

chadta
02-05-2010, 12:49 PM

the lockout made sense ?

sorry but these clowns dont need a lockout any more then the nhl did, you dont like how much salaries are going up, DONT SIGN THE BIG CONTRACTS, the owners have nobody but themselves to blame for salaries being as high as they are.

ward63
02-05-2010, 12:57 PM
The thing I hate is a first overall pick QB getting paid as much as veterans such as Peyton and Brady...

Paladin
02-05-2010, 01:33 PM

I will join you shortly.

jhns
02-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Does anybody know what happens with contracts during a lockout? I would assume that if they don't play, it is like the year never happened. If the lockout year is the last year of a players contract, they still have a year when they start playing again. Is this correct? Is it the same way for coach contracts? Is this something that will be part of the new CBA and we don't know yet?

rastaman
02-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Should every american get a contract like that for there job? So when you can't work you get full pay to the end of it. Just wondering if you single out football players for special treatment.

Sure why not. Workers in other professions do not have nor are they required atheltic agility, size, speed, etc to be a supreme athlete nor do they risk bodily injury, career injury or life time disability as NFL players. The players in the NFL at one time had no union representation to negotiate salaries and grievances against their corporate bosses. NFL owners in he past use to exploite their power and pit player against player when salaries were concerned. Getting back to workers not getting full pay should they get injured while at work or outside work, this is where workman's comp come into play.

rastaman
02-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I will join you shortly.

Great let me help you out!

Paladin
02-05-2010, 02:40 PM
This message is hidden because rastaman is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

chadta
02-05-2010, 02:47 PM
are you for real ?

nor do they risk bodily injury, career injury or life time disability as NFL players.

tell that to the firefighters, police officers, and soldiers who face a hell of alot more real dangers then a 250 man chasing them to try and get to a ball away from them.

http://ca.askmen.com/top_10/entertainment/16b_top_10_list.html

nope nfl player did not make the top 10 list of most dangerous jobs, i bet it was number 11 tho