PDA

View Full Version : BMarsh on NFLN from Super Bowl: "I would love to be a Denver Bronco"

montrose
02-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Highlights:

* Gaffney filled in great against KC, didn't miss me at all.

* Team lost down the stretch and that brought frusturation. Thinks the entire organization including himself should've handled things differently but that's all in the past now.

* Last time Coach called was to congratulate on the Pro Bowl. It was nice to hear his voice.

* Tough to leave the team that drafted you, it is a business though.

* Would love to be a Denver Bronco moving forward.

* CBA effects he and many other players drafted in the '06 class, it's the business side of things.

*EDIT* Link: http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/09000d5d81632850/Brandon-Marshall-on-set

Rulon Velvet Jones
02-04-2010, 09:37 AM
I heard when Sapp forced him to say it. You could tell he was full of **** when it was said.

WolfpackGuy
02-04-2010, 09:40 AM
It was nice to hear his voice.

Now THAT'S disturbing...

LOL

supermanhr9
02-04-2010, 09:45 AM
I just threw up in my mouth a bit

strafen
02-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Now THAT'S disturbing...

LOLThat's just too funny. ROFL!

The Joker
02-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Here in the circle,
The circle of life!

Still, might help his trade value so this is good.

Bronco Boy
02-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Is he bipolar or what?

Sassy
02-04-2010, 10:00 AM
* Tough to leave the team that drafted you, it is a business though.
A litte contradictory here!

PRBronco
02-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Is he bipolar or what?

Getting close I think. The kid's ****ing crazy. I can't understand people suggesting that just paying him millions upon millions will fix this problem.

montrose
02-04-2010, 10:07 AM
I heard when Sapp forced him to say it. You could tell he was full of **** when it was said.

After listening to his interviews and McDs, I don't even think they know WTF is going to happen. I think that's why everybody's playing both sides of the fence because of how this could turn out.

mr007
02-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Honestly we should just keep him. Sign him to a Roddy White type of deal and let's keep building, we don't need to lose one of our best players on offense.

montrose
02-04-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm posting the link at the top.

kamakazi_kal
02-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Jeez, If he says the right things he's a two faced liar ........ If he says what he feels he's a selfish team hater.

Dude is in a can't win situation.

Gob
02-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Getting close I think. The kid's ****ing crazy. I can't understand people suggesting that just paying him millions upon millions will fix this problem.

Won't fix the problem, but if you want highly productive and talented wide recievers on your team, you generally have to deal with head cases. Having a team full of Rudy's who win championships usually only happens in the movies.

PRBronco
02-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Won't fix the problem, but if you want highly productive and talented wide recievers on your team, you generally have to deal with head cases. Having a team full of Rudy's who win championships usually only happens in the movies.

**** it, let's run the wishbone.

Paladin
02-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Trade him.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-04-2010, 11:40 AM

How did he force him? The ever-popular "pulling out of toenails"? Bamboo shoots under his fingernails?

Or was it the terrifying "asking of a direct question" technique so popular with terrorists and reporters the world over?

oubronco
02-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Brandon Marshall open to playing for Broncos next season

FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. Call Brandon Marshall a talented receiver.
Call the Broncos' star receiver a magnet for drama and controversy.
And now call him contrite.
"Learning from last year and last offseason, I approached things unprofessional," Marshall said today at the Super Bowl XLIV media center. "This offseason I'm just going to go with the flow and just go in whatever direction the Broncos want to go."
After not granting interviews during the Pro Bowl events last week, Marshall broke his silence today so he could promote the NFL 2009 Season in Review DVD that comes out June 1. Marshall's record-setting, 21-catch game against the Indianapolis Colts, who are here preparing to play the New Orleans Saints in Super Bowl XLIV, is featured prominently on the DVD.

Marshall was an unhappy Bronco last year when he protested his contract situation by holding out from a mandatory minicamp in June and acting up during a preseason practice in August. He put his issues behind him to make 101 catches through 15 games, but he found more trouble in the season's final week.
When he tweaked his hamstring in a Wednesday practice, and showed up 20 minutes late for treatment on Friday morning, Marshall was deactivated from the final game against Kansas City.
Is Marshall now having second thoughts about wanting leaving the Broncos?
"I don't know if I would call it, second thoughts," Marshall said. "Last year I handled things totally wrong. I just looked at the business side of things and took things too personally. This year I'm going to remove myself from the situation and let the Broncos decide the direction we're going to go in as an organization."
Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com (mklis@denverpost.com).

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14333528#ixzz0ebCQ6uNI (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14333528#ixzz0ebCQ6uNI)

broncswin
02-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Jeez, If he says the right things he's a two faced liar ........ If he says what he feels he's a selfish team hater.

Are you talking about McD...just saying:thanku:

broncswin
02-04-2010, 12:05 PM
How did he force him? The ever-popular "pulling out of toenails"? Bamboo shoots under his fingernails?

Or was it the terrifying "asking of a direct question" technique so popular with terrorists and reporters the world over?

I know, god forbid something positive happens to this organization while McD is here...

Drek
02-04-2010, 12:12 PM

And the 2001 New England Patriots.

Oh, and the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers biggest offensive star was Brad Johnson.

The 2000 Baltimore Ravens? Jamaal Lewis.

Most teams who won a title thanks to great defense didn't have an elite WR. A lot of them have lacked elite QBs too.

Lot of different ways to a championship. Terrell Owens makes it seem like giving huge money to unreliable yet highly talented stars isn't a great way to achieve that goal though.

I'd prefer Marshall to stay, but the ball is in his court. He needs to take an extension that protects the Broncos from his propensity for bad choices. If he'd do that this would all be resolved quickly.

montrose
02-04-2010, 12:19 PM
The interesting thing here is, what are the negatives of paying Marshall? I assume you could say the risk of another suspension, a possible lack of motivation and/or showing the league you can get what you want from Denver if you're good enough.

For me, I've always been of the feeling that McDaniels was not hired here for his offensive genius, or to work with any certain player. He was brought here to bring a culture of team-first opposed to me-first and after batting Marshall on-and-off for a year because of these exact principles - to reward him with a big contract might counteract that. It's going to be very interesting.

Taco John
02-04-2010, 12:42 PM
The camera loves this kid. He's going to have a bright career in broadcasting after he's done playing ball.

bronco militia
02-04-2010, 12:46 PM
The camera loves this kid. He's going to have a bright career in broadcasting after he's done playing ball.

not that there's anything wrong with that :curtsey::curtsey:

Gob
02-04-2010, 12:56 PM

Most teams who won a title thanks to great defense didn't have an elite WR. A lot of them have lacked elite QBs too.

Lot of different ways to a championship. Terrell Owens makes it seem like giving huge money to unreliable yet highly talented stars isn't a great way to achieve that goal though.

I'd prefer Marshall to stay, but the ball is in his court. He needs to take an extension that protects the Broncos from his propensity for bad choices. If he'd do that this would all be resolved quickly.

If we are counting on not needed to deal with talented head cases on offense by getting defenses as great as the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs, or the spectacular defensive gameplans of the 2001 Pats, I am not going to hold my breath on how long before our next superbowl. Especially when you compare our front seven with thiers. Besides, they seem to have just traded the talented headcases from offense to defense (except the 2001 Pats maybe, who have the talented headcase as a HC). I could buy it if we had an unstoppable offensive line and rb combo, or supertalented qb, but I don't feel close there either.
As far as TO, he had to go, but after getting rid of him the 49ers and Eagles haven't done as well as they did with him.

Taco John
02-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Hmmm. A very uncomfortable interview. I didn't like that they had to coax out of him "I would love to be a Bronco." I think that it's clear that he and Josh are not exactly on the same page. That said, I do believe that he's sincere that he would like to remain a Bronco. The stuff he talked about - the attachment to the team that drafted you, the attachment to the city and fans that you get. Few people want to uproot their lives - but like he says, it's a business and he has to look at it like that.

BigPlayShay
02-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Hmmm. A very uncomfortable interview. I didn't like that they had to coax out of him "I would love to be a Bronco." I think that it's clear that he and Josh are not exactly on the same page. That said, I do believe that he's sincere that he would like to remain a Bronco. The stuff he talked about - the attachment to the team that drafted you, the attachment to the city and fans that you get. Few people want to uproot their lives - but like he says, it's a business and he has to look at it like that.

Was he sincere about Denver during his DUI arrest?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/06/brandon-marshall-on-denver-i-hate-this-f--king-city.php

"I hate this f--king city," Marshall reportedly told police officers in October 2007 after he was arrested for suspicion of DUI.

"I hate Denver," Marshall added. "I hope I get traded."

Marshall also reportedly berated officers for pulling him over instead of investigating other cases.

"Why aren't you guys out looking for [Darrent] Williams' killer?" Marshall reportedly said.

Or how about his feelings towards Denver fans:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3053738

"If you're going to be a Broncos fan, be a Broncos fan. Don't boo us when we're down. That's bandwagon," said Marshall, who caught seven passes for 72 yards. "When we start winning, then what?"

Marshall, who has already earned a reputation for his lively personality, didn't stop there. He poked again at Denver fans, known widely as some of the most faithful in the NFL, by pointing out their response to the surprising Colorado Rockies, who turned a mediocre season into a berth in the NLCS in less than a month.

"At the beginning of the (baseball) season, were you filling the stands? Now you all want to fill the stands," Marshall said. "Do the same thing for us, but 100 percent all the time. When we're losing, you all stay in those seats.

"I love you all to death, but at the same time, that's not first class."

I don't mind if he stays, but this is not about an attachment to a city, a team, or a fanbase. This is about $$$

NYBronco
02-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm all for some other team giving Marshall the big bucks.

bombay
02-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Marshall is playing this very smart, and I like that. It's business, it's out of his control, so don't burn bridges and let the money come to you.

Taco John
02-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Was he sincere about Denver during his DUI arrest?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/06/brandon-marshall-on-denver-i-hate-this-f--king-city.php

Or how about his feelings towards Denver fans:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3053738

I don't mind if he stays, but this is not about an attachment to a city, a team, or a fanbase. This is about $$$

He's certainly earned the skepticism. But I'm not going to put a lot of stock in a third hand account of what Marshall might have said to officers while he was being arrested. And that stuff about the fans, you'll hear good Broncos fans on this forum say worse things about our fans than that. What specifically did he say there that you find so offensive? He basically asked people to support the team.

But I agree, it's about money. But I don't personally blame him for it. If I was in his shoes, I'd be thinking about the dollars and cents too. He's worked his whole life for whatever he gets in this next contract. I'd imagine it would be very hard not to be distracted by it.

PRBronco
02-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Marshall is playing this very smart, and I like that. It's business, it's out of his control, so don't burn bridges and let the money come to you.

I don't want to be that guy who comes and rains negativity on everything, but I'm fairly certain that everything coming out of Marshall's mouth at this point is exactly what his agent has told him to say. I've forgiven him (as a fan) only to be burned again by his stupid **** too many times, I don't believe a word out of his mouth any more.

Damn it so much for not raining negativity.

BigPlayShay
02-04-2010, 02:22 PM
He's certainly earned the skepticism. But I'm not going to put a lot of stock in a third hand account of what Marshall might have said to officers while he was being arrested.

It's in the police report, so it is the officer's first hand account.

And that stuff about the fans, you'll hear good Broncos fans on this forum say worse things about our fans than that. What specifically did he say there that you find so offensive? He basically asked people to support the team.

I don't find any of it offensive, i just think these are 2 examples where he has displayed that he has no real attachment to the city, the fans, or the team,.

TonyR
02-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Marshall now willing to stay with Broncos
Posted by Evan Silva on February 4, 2010 6:22 PM ET

Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall admitted Thursday that his approach to the 2009 season and training camp was "unprofessional."

"This offseason I'm just going to go with the flow and just go in whatever direction the Broncos want to go," Marshall added.

It sure sounds like Marshall is willing to stay in Denver. The question is whether coach Josh McDaniels wants Marshall back. And there have been strong indications that he doesn't.

"Last year I handled things totally wrong," Marshall continued. "I just looked at the business side of things and took things too personally. This year I'm going to remove myself from the situation and let the Broncos decide the direction we're going to go in as an organization."

Marshall made similar comments on ESPN late last week. While it's possible that Marshall truly wants to re-sign -- he was undoubtedly the featured player in McDaniels' offense -- he's most likely been instructed to take this stance by his agent.

Whether or not Marshall returns, he's in search of a long-term contract. And as a restricted free agent, no team is likely to make a lengthy commitment to a player with such a high degree of knucklehead factor that wasn't saying all the right things.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/04/marshall-now-willing-to-stay-with-broncos/

oubronco
02-04-2010, 06:45 PM

Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall admitted Thursday that his approach to the 2009 season and training camp was "unprofessional."

"This offseason I'm just going to go with the flow and just go in whatever direction the Broncos want to go," Marshall added.

It sure sounds like Marshall is willing to stay in Denver. The question is whether coach Josh McDaniels wants Marshall back. And there have been strong indications that he doesn't.
"Last year I handled things totally wrong," Marshall continued. "I just looked at the business side of things and took things too personally. This year I'm going to remove myself from the situation and let the Broncos decide the direction we're going to go in as an organization."

Marshall made similar comments on ESPN late last week. While it's possible that Marshall truly wants to re-sign -- he was undoubtedly the featured player in McDaniels' offense -- he's most likely been instructed to take this stance by his agent.

Whether or not Marshall returns, he's in search of a long-term contract. And as a restricted free agent, no team is likely to make a lengthy commitment to a player with such a high degree of knucklehead factor that wasn't saying all the right things.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/04/marshall-now-willing-to-stay-with-broncos/

I haven't read anywhere that McD has said this

Taco John
02-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Whatever you want to say about the guy, there are a lot of indications that he's coachable. Be it from McDaniels, or from his agent.

watermock
02-04-2010, 06:59 PM
If Marshall was his featured player, he wouldn't of benched him in a virtual playoff game.

He's saying the right things for a reason.

strafen
02-04-2010, 10:26 PM

I agree. I truly believe Marshall wants to stay in Denver.
He has never said anything about wanting to be traded.
The McDaniels camp around here wants you to believe Marshall is not being sincere and the only reason behind that is because they know is up to McDaniels to decide whether Marshall stays or goes.
They want to prepare us to makes us believe that trading Marshall is imminent, so that when or IF that happens it would be more acceptable for anyone.
You don't trade that kind of talent and waste a pick in the draft to replace him, when there are more needs that can be addressed during the draft, and a WR is NOT one of them.

It's up to McDaniels, not to Marshall.

Paladin
02-04-2010, 10:40 PM
"Knucklehead Factor" I like that. That should become an official evaluation point for candidates and prospects.

He does have a high Knucklehead Factor Score as borne out by several instances chronicaled on this and other forums and in the National Media. It is easy to like his cute smile, and his agent is not a dummy. But there are suckers born every minute, and played every minute.

ZONA
02-05-2010, 01:04 AM

There's no F'ing problem. The only problem is that the fans and the media want there to be a problem so there is something to talk about. Josh and BM have moved past their little escapade in the last game. They team was losing, going 2-8 to close the season out, frustration was high for everybody and that's it. It's only the guys that read blog after ESPN blog that are lured into this, he's gone crap.

ZONA
02-05-2010, 01:08 AM

I'm always hearing from the lame media that there are strong indications. That is some funny schit right there. The Broncos have said nothing negative about BM at all. There is absolutely NO reason to suggest the Broncos want to get rid of him. Ohhh, but the media has to have a story, and so many fans here are buying thier BS it's funny.

Drek
02-05-2010, 03:36 AM
There's no F'ing problem. The only problem is that the fans and the media want there to be a problem so there is something to talk about. Josh and BM have moved past their little escapade in the last game. They team was losing, going 2-8 to close the season out, frustration was high for everybody and that's it. It's only the guys that read blog after ESPN blog that are lured into this, he's gone crap.

The problem is that Marshall is one more off-field offense away from an 8 game suspension, and at the same time he's all but openly questioned the medical and training staffs.

The thing last year? Thats the past and I don't think either side is lingering on it. But if you give Marshall a big fat new contract and he gets suspended for half a season you've handcuffed your team for that season and given money away for services that where not rendered.

I'm fully aware that they'll be able to withhold game checks if he's suspended, but they won't be going after bonus money unless its something bad enough where he won't honor the contract from that point forward, and you're still playing a season with a good portion of your salary cap locked up in a guy who isn't playing in half the games.

This is the big problem with Marshall and why it is hard to give him a big check. What it requires from Marshall's end is to take a non-traditional contract that doesn't give him tons of up front guaranteed money and instead have the bonus money primarily tied up in non-guaranteed end of season performance and roster bonuses. Then you can feel good giving him a Roddy White sized $9M AAV contract. But if he wants the big guaranteed front end you just can't jeopardize the franchise's financial well being like that.

peacepipe
02-05-2010, 04:33 AM

I'd prefer Marshall to stay, but the ball is in his court. He needs to take an extension that protects the Broncos from his propensity for bad choices. If he'd do that this would all be resolved quickly.Not to necessarily disagree with you but 70-75% of the superbowls won had elite QBs.

Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - SB I
Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - SB II
Joe Namath, New York Jets - SBIII
Len Dawson, Kansas City Chiefs - SB IV
Johnny Unitas, Baltimore Colts - SB V
Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - SB VI
Bob Griese, Miami Dolphins - SB VII
Bob Griese, Miami Dolphins - SB VIII
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB IX
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB X
Ken Stabler, Oakland Raiders - SB XI
Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - SB XII
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XIII
Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XIV
Jim Plunkett, Oakland Raiders - SB XV
Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XVI
Joe Theismann, Washington Redskins - SB XVII
Jim Plunkett, Los Angeles Raiders - SB XVIII
Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XIX
Jim McMahon, Chicago Bears - SB XX
Phil Simms, New York Giants - SB XXI
Doug Williams, Washington Redskins - SB XXII
Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIII
Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIV
Jeff Hostetler, New York Giants - SB XXV
Mark Rypien, Washington Redskins - SB XXVI
Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVII
Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVIII
Steve Young, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIX
Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXX
Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers - SB XXXI
John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXII
John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXIII
Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams - SB XXXIV
Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens - SB XXXV
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVI
Brad Johnson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - SB XXXVII
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVIII
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXIX
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XL
Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts - SB XLI
Eli Manning, New York Giants - SB XLII
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XLIII

Broncoman13
02-05-2010, 07:07 AM
I'm always hearing from the lame media that there are strong indications. That is some funny schit right there. The Broncos have said nothing negative about BM at all. There is absolutely NO reason to suggest the Broncos want to get rid of him. Ohhh, but the media has to have a story, and so many fans here are buying thier BS it's funny.

So you think the Broncos would berate him publicly now and lower BMarsh's value? I don't think you can say one way or the other what the Broncos are thinking. I do believe that there is more than just a little smoke here. Think about what Champ Bailey said during the week of Pro-bowl practices. When one of your key leaders on the team says he doesn't think that Brandon will be back that is saying something and whether you want to believe it or not, when it's from a team captain it's the voice of the Broncos.

TonyR
02-05-2010, 07:34 AM
It's up to McDaniels, not to Marshall.

Unless of course Mr. Bowlen is the one making the ultimate decision as it appears he did in the Jay Cutler situation.