PDA

View Full Version : OT--Former NBA journeyman Paul Shirley says he's not donating a 'cent' to Haiti

broncofan7
02-04-2010, 07:11 AM
and gets fired from ESPN:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2010/01/27/2010-01-27_paul_shirley_haiti.html

Former NBA journeyman Paul Shirley says he's not donating a 'cent' to Haiti earthquake relief
BY Mitch Lawrence
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Originally Published:Wednesday, January 27th 2010, 11:34 AM
Updated: Wednesday, January 27th 2010, 12:28 PM

NBA players were outraged Wednesday by anti-Haitian statements issued by former league player Paul Shirley.

"I haven't donated a cent to the Haitian relief effort. And I probably will not," said Shirley, who was a seldom-used reserve forward in 2004-05 on Mike D'Antoni's Phoenix Suns team. "I don't think the people of Haiti will do much with my money either.

"... Shouldn't much of the responsibility for the disaster lie with the victims of that disaster?"

Shirley also penned a sarcastic letter of thanks to the Haitian people that read, in part: "Kudos on developing the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Your commitment to human rights, infrastructure and birth control should be applauded."

ESPN Wednesday fired Shirley from his gig as a freelance commentator. The network released a brief statement saying that Shirley's views "do not at all reflect our company's views on the Haiti relief efforts. He will no longer contribute to ESPN."

Shirley's heartless statement stunned Chris Duhon.

"That just speaks about who he is as a person," said the Knicks' point guard. "We've come so far in this world in terms of racism and stereotypes and things like that. And for a guy who has played in the league, to say something like that, that reflects badly on us, as well.

"We're going to let people know that we're not like that," Duhon added. "The NBA is not like that. We do a lot in the communities, especially with our NBA Cares program. This is not just for a public image. It's because guys really want to do it. It's a shame that one guy can kind of tarnish that for you."

Shirley, 32, played at Iowa State and spent one NBA season each with Chicago, Atlanta and Phoenix before heading to Europe. The last NBA team the 6-10 forward tried to catch on with was Minnesota.

D'Antoni seemed surprised by his statements.

"I can't comment because I have no idea the context he said it in," he said. "I just know for us, when we were in Phoenix, Paul was a good guy and an extremely bright person. I remember that he wrote a book and a screenplay and he did some blogs. So I don't know what happened."

Shirley's anti-Haitian stance is in opposition to that of many of his former peers. Almost 50 NBA players have pledged to donate a minimum total of $500,000 to the Clinton Bush Haiti fund. Ten players donated $1,000 per point in games played last Friday, including the Lakers' Pau Gasol, who contributed $20,000 via his 20-point game against the Knicks at the Garden.

The fund-raising effort was announced at halftime, with former president Clinton delivering an emotional talk during a live interview. He detailed what he saw in Haiti during his recent visit to the earthquake-ravaged country.

Among those who chose to donate was the Knicks' Danilo Gallinari.

"I think it's so important for the NBA and for me to do this," Gallinari said. "I live a different life from all the people there. They cannot live the life I'm living. I'm lucky. So I felt I had to help them and that's what I did. I hope that help can really help those people

here's more:

Shirley writes on flipcollective.com why he won’t be joining the millions from around the globe sending money to support the Haitian relief efforts.

“I haven’t donated a cent to the Haitian relief effort. And I probably will not.

“{snip} If I use history as my guide, I don’t think the people of Haiti will do much with my money either.

{snip}

He continued: “Shouldn’t there be some discourse on how the millions of dollars that are being poured into Haiti will be spent? And at least a slight reprimand for the conditions prior to the earthquake? Some kind of inquisition? Something like this?:

Dear Haitians—

First of all, kudos on developing the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Your commitment to human rights, infrastructure, and birth control should be applauded.

As we prepare to assist you in this difficult time, a polite request: If it’s possible, could you not re-build your island home in the image of its predecessor? Could you not resort to the creation of flimsy shanty- and shack-towns? And could some of you maybe use a condom once in a while?

Sincerely,

The Rest of the World

:strong: Thanks for speaking up Shirley!!!! The voices of reason always gets silenced.....

Garcia Bronco
02-04-2010, 07:14 AM
I have to agree with him, even though I disagree with his presentation.

WolfpackGuy
02-04-2010, 07:18 AM
We have enough problems in the US.

He could've used a little more tact though.

LOL

Rulon Velvet Jones
02-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Last week called.

It wants its story back.

Dukes
02-04-2010, 07:27 AM
We have enough problems in the US.

He could've used a little more tact though.

LOL

This

jhns
02-04-2010, 07:28 AM
He can give to an American Organization that doesn't give the money to the Haiti government. Is it the peoples fault they live in crap conditions? A lot of them have never been able to make more than a couple of dollars a day. They can't leave the island because they have no money and places like the US won't let them in anyways. Should they spend their couple dollars a day on condems and forget about eating that week? Maybe they should use a few years salary to see a doctor and get some birth control.

There are a lot in need that are not responsible for those conditions. There are a lot of charities that don't give the money to their government. What a poor argument.

Garcia Bronco
02-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Is it the peoples fault they live in crap conditions?.

Actually yes.

jhns
02-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Actually yes.

What exactly is your suggestion to those that make a couple dollars a day? What is it you think they could have done? Maybe save up for about 200 years to afford a real house? You guys are spoiled and have no idea what it is like to grow up without a chance.

Rohirrim
02-04-2010, 08:03 AM
People are hurting desperately and need help. Either help, or shut up and get out of the way. Save your judgment for yourself.

Broncoman13
02-04-2010, 08:10 AM

Same here bro, I think he was a bit over the top but had he used a little more PC type terms, the message would have been received.

I think I have some of the same concerns. When I send money are the ones that really need it going to receive any of it? Are they going to improve the living conditions of several or just those that are "connected"?

Again, I don't agree with his choice of words and I don't think that the concerns we have should prevent us from donating, but they are legit concerns.

Meck77
02-04-2010, 08:16 AM
I hear ya Ro. I made my donation.

However, if you actually think about it haiti isn't trillions in debt like America is. Our nations net worth is less than Haiti! Who's going to bail us out when **** hits the fan here?

Jason in LA
02-04-2010, 08:19 AM
If he feels that way, so be it. But he can't broadcast that in that manner. That's just dumb. Way to kill your career.

I haven't donated any money and I'm not planning on it, but I certainly wouldn't blast those people like that. That's just wrong. And it's not because we now live in his PC world, that's wrong period.

Garcia Bronco
02-04-2010, 08:21 AM
What exactly is your suggestion to those that make a couple dollars a day? What is it you think they could have done? Maybe save up for about 200 years to afford a real house? You guys are spoiled and have no idea what it is like to grow up without a chance.

Their population is 9 million people total. When we give them a billion. Just a billion...do the math per person. Couple of "Dollars". LMAO

SonOfLe-loLang
02-04-2010, 08:21 AM
I made my donation because most of the people of haiti, the vast majority, have nothing to do with Haiti's awful politics and decisions throughout the years. They are innocent victims, but i understand Paul's point. Haiti has done some pretty appalling things, in the way they treat their own. Haiti is connected to the DR and the DR has prospered way more under similar conditions.

jhns
02-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Their population is 9 million people total. When we give them a billion. Just a billion...do the math per person. Couple of "Dollars". LMAO

You gave them a billion? This went to an organization that wasn't giving it to their government? Really? That is impressive.

bfoflcommish
02-04-2010, 08:29 AM
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - Hunger turned to anger in Haiti's capital on Wednesday as hundreds of protesters marched through the streets accusing local officials of demanding bribes for donated food.

Aid workers say that food and other supplies are now flowing into the country three weeks after the Jan. 12 quake, but red tape, fear of ambush, transportation bottlenecks and corruption are keeping it from many people who need it.
Hungry protesters jogged along a broad avenue in the Port-au-Prince suburb of Petionville waving branches and chanting, "They stole the rice! They stole the rice!"
One of the protesters, 17-year-old Danka Tanzil, said a local official was demanding a bribe in return for coupons that entitle people to bags of donated food from the U.N. World Food <NOBR style="COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_3_0>Programhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif</NOBR> (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/#). "For us to get the coupon, we must give 50 Haitian dollars (US$7) so we can get the rice," she complained.
People at small protests elsewhere had a simpler message, holding up banners reading, in English: "Help us, We're starving."
The World Food Program began distributing the coupons to bring order to the aid distribution and prevent strong young men from forcing themselves to the front of food lines. Aid officials say it has largely worked, despite scattered reports of abuses.

this is exactly why I didnt and wont help! Also as stated above, whos going to help us if we ever need it? Isnt it funny how most the world likes to talk down on us we are rude self rightgeous, etc etc etc yet we are the first place people turn too.

jhns
02-04-2010, 08:31 AM

My edit won't work so I am just putting this in a new post. If that all went to the people, it is 111 dollars. That is if we sent a billion a day. If we send a billion a year, that is 30 cents a day to every person. That is if every dollar goes to the people.

MplsBronco
02-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Compassionate conservatism.

Some people just don't know how lucky they are.

Meck77
02-04-2010, 08:49 AM
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - Hunger turned to anger in Haiti's capital on Wednesday as hundreds of protesters marched through the streets accusing local officials of demanding bribes for donated food.

Those people should be angry.

I often wonder why the American people don't take to the streets after the debacle of the bailouts. *shrug*

WolfpackGuy
02-04-2010, 09:31 AM
I often wonder why the American people don't take to the streets after the debacle of the bailouts. *shrug*

It certainly isn't because they can't get off work.

LOL

Taco John
02-04-2010, 09:37 AM

They have been. The media has taken to calling them "tea baggers."

SonOfLe-loLang
02-04-2010, 09:42 AM
They have been. The media has taken to calling them "tea baggers."

Ummm, they call themselves tea baggers. And they are a little insane.

vancejohnson82
02-04-2010, 09:45 AM
well, you can't say things like that when you work for an ESPN/Disney type company...

however, I made a statement like this (not hateful though) a few days ago while out to eat...and got blasted by a bunch of women at the next table...its amazing that even donations and charity can turn into some sort of debate...

honestly, I don't agree with what Haiti is but I don't hate the people there...

Beantown Bronco
02-04-2010, 09:48 AM
If he feels that way, so be it. But he can't broadcast that in that manner. That's just dumb. Way to kill your career.

Who ever heard of this guy before this incident? Now look at him.

He was a minimum wage blogger for ESPN. A half step above an intern.....if that. Nowhere to go but up from that gig and he just struck gold.

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Beantown Bronco
02-04-2010, 09:50 AM

I tried tea bagging Mrs Bean this morning when she was still asleep. She wasn't amused.

Archer81
02-04-2010, 09:50 AM

They call themselves the Tea Party. Brilliant political analysts like Olbermann and John Stewart thought it appropriate to call them tea baggers.

:Broncos:

SonOfLe-loLang
02-04-2010, 09:52 AM
They call themselves the Tea Party. Brilliant political analysts like Olbermann and John Stewart thought it appropriate to call them tea baggers.

Olbermann said, “It is as useful to remind them anew of how the term originated and with whom. A TV news report aired last March 14 in which a correspondent described the original protest act, ‘take a teabag, put it in an envelope, and mail it to the White House.’ He added, ‘reteaparty.com has a headline Teabag the Fools in D.C. on tax day.’ Thus the verb to teabag was invented by the teabaggers themselves, and the correspondent who put it on TV was a Griff Jenkins of Fox News. Send your complaints to him.”

SonOfLe-loLang
02-04-2010, 09:53 AM
But thank you for pimping Archer :)

Archer81
02-04-2010, 10:00 AM
But thank you for pimping Archer :)

Its a good show.

Yup. Sending bags of tea to the WH is surely a sexual reference, and I am sure thats exactly what the group wished to express with their protest....

SonOfLe-loLang
02-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Its a good show.

Yup. Sending bags of tea to the WH is surely a sexual reference, and I am sure thats exactly what the group wished to express with their protest....

Archer is pretty much our only show that i like. But if you like Louis CK, we have his show coming out soon...i like the eps ive seen.

I'm not claiming tea baggers even were aware of the sexual reference, but it makes it funnier:)

bpc
02-04-2010, 10:09 AM

Brilliant? Olberman? What are you smoking? That guy is a joke and hasn't been relevant in over a decade since he was on Sportscenter.

Archer81
02-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Archer is pretty much our only show that i like. But if you like Louis CK, we have his show coming out soon...i like the eps ive seen.

I'm not claiming tea baggers even were aware of the sexual reference, but it makes it funnier:)

I'm DVR'ing every episode of Archer. Fits my brand of humor perfectly.

Archer81
02-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Brilliant? Olberman? What are you smoking? That guy is a joke and hasn't been relevant in over a decade since he was on Sportscenter.

I forgot the/sarcasm. Olbermann is a tool.

TailgateNut
02-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Actually yes.

You are becoming part of the clueless contingent of the OM.

BroncoMan4ever
02-04-2010, 10:14 AM

same here. i don;t care if a former player doesn't want to fork over his cash to a cause he thinks isn't worth his money.it was just a stupid way to do that on his part, and he should have thought before doing something that stupid.

kamakazi_kal
02-04-2010, 10:49 AM
It kind of bugs me. Not the earthquake that just sucks for those people.

But,

Everytime something like this happens, I always think the world would give America the big F U if we needed help.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-04-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm DVR'ing every episode of Archer. Fits my brand of humor perfectly.

Whats wrong with me? Nothing. But you have a bullet inside you.

Tombstone RJ
02-04-2010, 10:56 AM
It kind of bugs me. Not the earthquake that just sucks for those people.

But,

Everytime something like this happens, I always think the world would give America the big F U if we needed help.

You mean like when Katina happened and Venezuala wanted to send help? I'm pretty darn sure that if American got destroyed by a natural disaster the likes of which destroyed Haiti, other nations would send help...

Archer81
02-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Whats wrong with me? Nothing. But you have a bullet inside you.

You have a certain...thickness that I like...

You're drunk.

Yes I'm drunk...otherwise I wouldnt be talking to you.

Requiem
02-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Actually yes.

Care to elaborate on this a bit more? Why is it their fault?

Garcia Bronco
02-04-2010, 11:09 AM
My edit won't work so I am just putting this in a new post. If that all went to the people, it is 111 dollars. That is if we sent a billion a day. If we send a billion a year, that is 30 cents a day to every person. That is if every dollar goes to the people.

Now realize we have spent...just the US...5 billion over the past ten years in Haiti. We've given our share to help them yet they keep making the same dumb mistakes. Cut them off and they'll be stronger for it...and if not...then it's natural and fair.

Garcia Bronco
02-04-2010, 11:12 AM
well, you can't say things like that when you work for an ESPN/Disney type company...

however, I made a statement like this (not hateful though) a few days ago while out to eat...and got blasted by a bunch of women at the next table...its amazing that even donations and charity can turn into some sort of debate...

honestly, I don't agree with what Haiti is but I don't hate the people there...

I am indifferent. I don't care. Their people are the reason they are in the situation they are in....and a big "your an idiot" to the first dumbass that says I am blaming them for the earthquake.

Garcia Bronco
02-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Olbermann said, “It is as useful to remind them anew of how the term originated and with whom. A TV news report aired last March 14 in which a correspondent described the original protest act, ‘take a teabag, put it in an envelope, and mail it to the White House.’ He added, ‘reteaparty.com has a headline Teabag the Fools in D.C. on tax day.’ Thus the verb to teabag was invented by the teabaggers themselves, and the correspondent who put it on TV was a Griff Jenkins of Fox News. Send your complaints to him.”

I guess you could rationalize that...however when you say it you mean it as a sexual act.

broncofan7
02-04-2010, 11:14 AM
People are hurting desperately and need help. Either help, or shut up and get out of the way. Save your judgment for yourself.

STFU with you liberal talking points.............we have enough issues in our own country as it is........get our house in order before we start taking care of others.........and ESPECIALLY not some 3rd world country with a primitive culture whose peak of existence ended as soon as slavery did.........

Garcia Bronco
02-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Care to elaborate on this a bit more? Why is it their fault?

Simply...the have squandered the free will God has given them to better themselves.

broncofan7
02-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Simply...the have squarded the free will God has given them to better themselves.

3rd world culture= 3rd world results.......

broncocalijohn
02-04-2010, 11:19 AM
I wont donate to any cause except through my Catholic Church who runs an orphanage in Haiti for years now. I dont trust the people and government in that **** hole. The orphanages are finally getting some light shed on them but for years only the members of the different churches have received funds. Luckily most were not affected by the earthquake and they will have a ton more children who are now parentless. If you are going to give, look at your local church to see if they run or donate to an orphanage. These are the ones that are truelly innocent of the coruption that goes on in that country.

Requiem
02-04-2010, 11:20 AM

I take it you and Garcia aren't privy to the history and background of Haiti. Go figure.

Archer81
02-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I take it you and Garcia aren't privy to the history and background of Haiti. Go figure.

http://www.travelinghaiti.com/history_of_haiti/independence_haiti.asp

Independence of Haiti

On January 1, 1804, Haiti proclaimed its independence. Through this action, it became the second independent state in the Western Hemisphere and the first free black republic in the world. Haiti's uniqueness attracted much attention and symbolized the aspirations of enslaved and exploited peoples around the globe. Nonetheless, Haitians made no overt effort to inspire, to support, or to aid slave rebellions similar to their own because they feared that the great powers would take renewed action against them. For the sake of national survival, nonintervention became a Haitian credo.

Dessalines, who had commanded the black and the mulatto forces during the final phase of the revolution, became the new country's leader; he ruled under the dictatorial 1801 constitution. The land he governed had been devastated by years of warfare. The agricultural base was all but destroyed, and the population was uneducated and largely unskilled. Commerce was virtually nonexistent. Contemplating this bleak situation, Dessalines determined, as Toussaint had done, that a firm hand was needed.

White residents felt the sting most sharply. While Toussaint, a former privileged slave of a tolerant white master, had felt a certain magnanimity toward whites, Dessalines, a former field slave, despised them with a maniacal intensity. He reportedly agreed wholeheartedly with his aide, Boisrond-Tonnerre, who stated, "For our declaration of independence, we should have the skin of a white man for parchment, his skull for an inkwell, his blood for ink, and a bayonet for a pen!" Accordingly, whites were slaughtered wholesale under the rule of Dessalines.

Although blacks were not massacred under Dessalines, they witnessed little improvement in the quality of their lives. To restore some measure of agricultural productivity, Dessalines reestablished the plantation system. Harsh measures bound laborers to their assigned work places, and penalties were imposed on runaways and on those who harbored them. Because Dessalines drew his only organizational experience from war, it was natural for him to use the military as a tool for governing the new nation. The rule of Dessalines set a pattern for direct involvement of the army in politics that continued unchallenged for more than 150 years.

In 1805 Dessalines crowned himself Emperor of Haiti. By this point, his autocratic rule had disenchanted important sectors of Haitian society, particularly mulattoes such as Pétion. The mulattoes resented Dessalines mostly for racial reasons, but the more educated and cultured gens de couleur also derided the emperor (and most of his aides and officers) for his ignorance and illiteracy. Efforts by Dessalines to bring mulatto families into the ruling group through marriage met with resistance. Pétion himself declined the offer of the hand of the emperor's daughter. Many mulattoes were appalled by the rampant corruption and licentiousness of the emperor's court. Dessalines's absorption of a considerable amount of land into the hands of the state through the exploitation of irregularities in titling procedures also aroused the ire of landowners.

The disaffection that sealed the emperor's fate arose within the ranks of the army, where Dessalines had lost support at all levels. The voracious appetites of his ruling clique apparently left little or nothing in the treasury for military salaries and provisions. Although reportedly aware of discontent among the ranks, Dessalines made no effort to redress these shortcomings. Instead, he relied on the same iron-fisted control with which he kept rural laborers in line. That his judgement in this matter had been in error became apparent on the road to Port-au-Prince as he rode with a column of troops on its way to crush a mulattoled rebellion. A group of people, probably hired by Pétion or Etienne-Elie Gérin (another mulatto officer), shot the emperor and hacked his body to pieces.

Under Dessalines the Haitian economy had made little progress despite the restoration of forced labor. Conflict between blacks and mulattoes ended the cooperation that the revolution had produced, and the brutality toward whites shocked foreign governments and isolated Haiti internationally. A lasting enmity against Haiti arose among Dominicans as a result of the emperor's unsuccessful invasion of Santo Domingo in 1805. Dessalines's failure to consolidate Haiti and to unite Haitians had ramifications in the years that followed, as the nation split into two rival enclaves.

Rohirrim
02-04-2010, 11:24 AM
STFU with you liberal talking points.............we have enough issues in our own country as it is........get our house in order before we start taking care of others.........and ESPECIALLY not some 3rd world country with a primitive culture whose peak of existence ended as soon as slavery did.........

Helping people in need is now a "liberal talking point?" Ha!

Whatever floats your boat, Heinrich.

Rohirrim
02-04-2010, 11:25 AM

Cue: We don't need no ed u ca tion bum da bump, bum, ba dum ba...

Requiem
02-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Even that won't help them understand the situation. Seeds were planted when prior before "Haiti" even existed. The poor conditions that these people endure are for a variety of sociocultural, economic and political reasons -- not the simple saying that these people have shown no interest to better themselves.

TailgateNut
I wont donate to any cause except through my Catholic Church who runs an orphanage in Haiti for years now. I dont trust the people and government in that **** hole. The orphanages are finally getting some light shed on them but for years only the members of the different churches have received funds. Luckily most were not affected by the earthquake and they will have a ton more children who are now parentless. If you are going to give, look at your local church to see if they run or donate to an orphanage. These are the ones that are truelly innocent of the coruption that goes on in that country.

One of my neighbors (nice old guy) used to impress me years ago with his stories of traveling on missions to Honduras and Costa Rica to help his church with their efforts at orphanages in those countries. A few months ago another neighbor of ours who works for the school district contacted my wife to let her know that this "nice old guy" was on the local (county) sexual predator listing due to a conviction for child molestation. Nice "old guy" just helping those children.

Rohirrim
Simply...the have squandered the free will God has given them to better themselves.

Don't forget, they made a deal with Satan.

gunns
02-04-2010, 11:27 AM

I was thinking judgmental too. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes.....

Garcia Bronco
02-04-2010, 11:28 AM

If people want to donate more power to them. I just think the people that want to help that way are getting ripped off.

Requiem
02-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Cue: We don't need no ed u ca tion bum da bump, bum, ba dum ba...

"Only in the things that matter, Ro." -- I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be in for a severe culture shock when America becomes a minority majority nation within the next fifty years, that is -- if they live long enough to see it.

TailgateNut
02-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Helping people in need is now a "liberal talking point?" Ha!

Whatever floats your boat, Heinrich.

When reading BF7's responses to this thread, one must consider two things. Haitians' have dark skin color, and BF7 is a ****ing racist pig.

Requiem
02-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Don't forget, they made a deal with Satan.

Paging members of the 700 Club. . . :notworthy Ha! You're on a roll. :D

Garcia Bronco

Which part would you like to discuss?

jhns
I am indifferent. I don't care. Their people are the reason they are in the situation they are in....and a big "your an idiot" to the first dumbass that says I am blaming them for the earthquake.

LOL

What a spoiled American brat. So someone born in a slum with no chance to leave or better themselves is responsible for the way the government is? You do realize most of them aren't even allowed on the other side of the island, right? Even if they could afford to leave, they don't get that option. As for changing how things are, what are these poor people supposed to do? Take the 15 cents a day you just quoted, on top of their 2 dollar a day salaries and imrpove their neighborhoods?

Yes, the government needs reworked. I fail to see how the civilians are to blame for the way things are. You must think everyone has a chance like they do here. You need to open your eyes. That is not how the rest of the world works.

If you don't want to contribute, don't. We don't need to hear how you think the citizens are a big problem. If you do want to contribute and you have the understandable fear that their government won't handle the money correctly, look into the charity you donate to. You can always make sure it doesn't give money to the government.

MplsBronco

And you are supposedly a doctor? Is that your schtick? Not sure but I think that is your made up personna on here.

Garcia Bronco
02-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Even that won't help them understand the situation. Seeds were planted when prior before "Haiti" even existed. The poor conditions that these people endure are for a variety of sociocultural, economic and political reasons -- not the simple saying that these people have shown no interest to better themselves.

Individuals? Sure. As a country? Hardly.

Garcia Bronco
02-04-2010, 11:32 AM
LOL

What a spoiled American brat.

Hold on clown. You don't know a thing about where I come from or what my family has endured to get where we are today.

Rohirrim
02-04-2010, 11:33 AM
When reading BF7's responses to this thread, one must consider two things. Haitians' have dark skin color, and BF7 is a ****ing racist pig.

I'll bet he doesn't have "We are the World" on his IPod.

Garcia Bronco
02-04-2010, 11:34 AM
If you don't want to contribute, don't. We don't need to hear how you think the citizens are a big problem. If you do want to contribute and you have the understandable fear that their government won't handle the money correctly, look into the charity you donate to. You can always make sure it doesn't give money to the government.

Well you are going to hear it.

MplsBronco
Hold on clown. You don't know a thing about where I come from or what my family has endured to get where we are today.

I doubt he gives two sh!ts.

Garcia Bronco
I'll bet he doesn't have "We are the World" on his IPod.

I have heard they are re-writing that for Haiti.

TailgateNut
02-04-2010, 11:35 AM

Damn jhns. That is the first time in eons that someone quoted you and I agree with you!

The end is near. Duck!

Garcia Bronco
I doubt he gives two ****s.

Exactly. So don't expect me to give "two ****s" either.

Requiem
Which part would you like to discuss?

How about political corruption in the Caribbean and it's relation to economic development and growth within nations in the region. Lets see what you know. Ball is in your court.

TDmvp
There is a lot more wrong with Haiti than just the government.

Garcia Bronco
02-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Yes, the government needs reworked. I fail to see how the civilians are to blame for the way things are.

Then you need to rethink what you have posted.

Requiem
02-04-2010, 11:37 AM

I'm sure it is comparative to what most Haitian's have been experiencing for hundreds of years. Those months without cable when you were a youngster must have really been tough!

Rohirrim
02-04-2010, 11:37 AM
How about political corruption in the Caribbean and it's relation to economic development and growth within nations in the region. Lets see what you know. Ball is in your court.

I once took a very interesting class at CU entitled "World Food and Hunger" with this great professor named Stevens. He started out with the premise that world hunger is caused by politics, not lack of food, and by the end of the class, he had proved it.

MplsBronco
02-04-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm sure it is comparative to what most Haitian's have been experiencing for hundreds of years. Those months without cable when you were a youngster must have really been tough!

Oh the humanity!

broncosteven
02-04-2010, 11:39 AM

What is rioting in the streets going to solve?

If you want to riot (sorry, "take to the streets") move to France's Faubourg St-Antoine and get a red beret on a pike, set up a blockade and fight the power!

Fight the power!

broncocalijohn
02-04-2010, 11:41 AM
I once took a very interesting class at CU entitled "World Food and Hunger" with this great professor named Stevens. He started out with the premise that world hunger is caused by politics, not lack of food, and by the end of the class, he had proved it.

not sure if you were agreeing with Req or not but I see that today with Cuba, Haiti and North Korea. Politics will always get in the way of free market and ruin its own citizens to fatten up the few.

Requiem
02-04-2010, 11:42 AM

Right on. There is plenty of food to go around, people just do a poor job of agriculturally producing crops because they go for high-profit produce that cannot sustain a lot of growth in the areas they are trying to be grown. Qaddafi's policy in Libya with trench digging and irrigation highlight this significantly.

Requiem
02-04-2010, 11:44 AM
not sure if you were agreeing with Req or not but I see that today with Cuba, Haiti and North Korea. Politics will always get in the way of free market and ruin its own citizens to fatten up the few.

Of course John, that is absolutely truth. You see this in China as well where resources are diverted from specific areas of the country to others in order to fatten up those who "deserve" them. East Asian countries, as well as most of the developing world are notorious for this.

jhns
02-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Then you need to rethink what you have posted.

Riiiight. So tell me how someone born poor, not able to leave, with no political pull, and not enough money to even feed themselves(let alone better even just their neighborhood or own living conditions) is supposed to make this huge change to better the people.

People in China had money. They had numbers. They had a ton more resources than the Haitian civilians. They tried to change their government with huge rallies and ended up being part of a giant masacre. Tell me how it is so easy for ordinary civilians, that have nothing, to change an established system. Maybe you have heard of Tiananmen Square?

Archer81
02-04-2010, 11:45 AM
It is the responsibility of the people to ensure their lives and their children's lives improve. If a government exists that restricts or prohibits this ability, that government must go. It does not matter how poor they are. If they stay poor, the fault lies with them, because they refuse to change it.

Sometimes, people need help to achieve the right to national self determination. I would look at the earthquake as a chance to change Haiti, by the Haitians, so that the results of the earthquake are not replicated. Poor building codes, lack of a central authority and disgusting government corruption are root causes to the earthquake aftermath. What happens now is squarely on the Haitian citizens.

Alot of the money donated to Haiti will dissapear through fraud or outright theft. This is the reason some people dont want to donate funds.

Garcia Bronco
02-04-2010, 11:46 AM

He'd be right. I don't think that's in debate. However, when you have a virus....you don't make the ideal conditions for it to thrive. Get the drift?

Garcia Bronco
02-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Riiiight. So tell me how someone born poor, not able to leave, with no political pull, and not enough money to even feed themselves(let alone better even just their neighborhood or own living conditions) is supposed to make this huge change to better the people.

Once you have exhausted all political solutions:
Honorable men pick up a gun or whatever you can find and kill the bastards in your way. What the hell do you think our forefather did?

jhns
02-04-2010, 11:51 AM

You are on a computer typing over the internet. Most of these people will never once get that chanve in their lives. Go cry about your horrible past to them as you eat a nice processed meal and tuck yourself into a warm bed tonight.

Requiem
02-04-2010, 11:51 AM
It is the responsibility of the people to ensure their lives and their children's lives improve. If a government exists that restricts or prohibits this ability, that government must go. It does not matter how poor they are. If they stay poor, the fault lies with them, because they refuse to change it.

Sometimes, people need help to achieve the right to national self determination. I would look at the earthquake as a chance to change Haiti, by the Haitians, so that the results of the earthquake are not replicated. Poor building codes, lack of a central authority and disgusting government corruption are root causes to the earthquake aftermath. What happens now is squarely on the Haitian citizens.

Alot of the money donated to Haiti will dissapear through fraud or outright theft. This is the reason some people dont want to donate funds.

I haven't donated to the relief efforts monetarily for that very reason, but I disagree that the poor remain poor because they refuse to change it themselves. Things operate at a level higher than individuals that cause a lot of the economic disparity you see in the region.

I agree, the aftermath of this disaster is the prime rallying point for the citizens to stand up and make a change. However, other things from the outside can have a significant influence on how things develop.

Rohirrim
02-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Honorable men pick up a gun or whatever you can find and kill the bastards in your way. What the hell do you think our forefather did?

I really doubt your average Chinese person has access to a gun.

Requiem
02-04-2010, 11:54 AM

And what do you think the Haitan's did all those years ago becoming one of the first free states, in fact the first free slave state in the Western Hemisphere? By tossing daisies up in the air. Get real. Haitian citizens have covered their soil with their blood for generations fighting for improvements and equality.

It's just too bad they live an extremely corrupt part of the world politically and lack a lot of the tools necessary to arise out of their culture of poverty when they have been the bastard child of outside nations and open to political manipulation within and outside their borders.

jhns
02-04-2010, 11:55 AM

LOL

I guess I shouldn't even be arguing with you at this point. You are making me feel sorry for you. I guess you grew up without an education. Sorry I doubted your horrible past.

I'm sure us keeping the land we lived on and controlled is the exact same situation....

Rohirrim
I haven't donated to the relief efforts monetarily for that very reason, but I disagree that the poor remain poor because they refuse to change it themselves. Things operate at a level higher than individuals that cause a lot of the economic disparity you see in the reason.

I agree, the aftermath of this disaster is the prime rallying point for the citizens to stand up and make a change. However, other things from the outside can have a significant influence on how things develop.

Our own current mess is a great example. Did this mess occur because Americans were sitting around on their lazy asses doing nothing? No. We are still the most productive people in the world. It was due to corruption and greed at the top, just like in Haiti.

Requiem

Gun laws in China are extremely strict. They have to be when you have over a billion people around.

Archer81
02-04-2010, 11:56 AM
I haven't donated to the relief efforts monetarily for that very reason, but I disagree that the poor remain poor because they refuse to change it themselves. Things operate at a level higher than individuals that cause a lot of the economic disparity you see in the reason.

Everyone has a chance to improve themselves. I dont care what country you live in. If they do not try to change the conditions they find themselves in, then the fault lies entirely on them. Using Haiti as an example, what is the worst that can happen? A massive government crackdown? Killing protesters? What happens then? Pressure from the rest of the world to change how things are done. But if they dont try, then nobody notices, and the beat goes on.

Requiem
02-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Our own current mess is a great example. Did this mess occur because Americans were sitting around on their lazy asses doing nothing? No. We are still the most productive people in the world. It was due to corruption and greed at the top, just like in Haiti.

I think the American's can take some sort of personal accountability for the things that have happened within the country, just as some Haitian's should for what transpired there. However, America has firm stability and a variety of factors in it's favor, such as an industrialized work force, a wealth of resources, etc. -- that other countries do not, hence the great disparity you see around the world.

Haiti is in need of a complete makeover. A strong foundation has to be laid first before aspirations of recovery and promise ever start to show. It'll take years to do that, if it ever happens. Perpetual poverty happens around the world for a myriad of reasons, not the primitive thought that people don't seek to better themselves.

Archer81
02-04-2010, 12:00 PM

The mess we find ourselves in was a result of 30 years of Americans not paying attention to who in power is doing what. Party does not matter when both sides continually enrich themselves at a normal citizenry's expense. There is no reason a senator should be a senator for more then 12 years, or a congressman more than 10. There is no reason congress should be allowed to vote itself pay raises and then determine if social security deserves a cost of living increase. It also is a joke when congress wishes to force people into government health care, OR pay into social security when members of congress wont be subjected to either.

TDmvp
02-04-2010, 12:02 PM
All Ten Americans Charged With Kidnapping for Trying to Take Children Out of Haiti

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584825,00.html

Requiem
02-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Everyone has a chance to improve themselves. I dont care what country you live in. If they do not try to change the conditions they find themselves in, then the fault lies entirely on them. Using Haiti as an example, what is the worst that can happen? A massive government crackdown? Killing protesters? What happens then? Pressure from the rest of the world to change how things are done. But if they dont try, then nobody notices, and the beat goes on.

Who says they haven't been trying?

Aristide was the first democratically elected President of the country. Unfortunately, he was ousted in a military coup from rebellions and with help from the United States and France. As you can clearly see, greater powers at work -- impacting what ordinary people try to do.

TailgateNut
02-04-2010, 12:15 PM
all ten americans charged with kidnapping for trying to take children out of haiti

good!

Requiem
02-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I say we subject these criminals to the gladiator arena to bring back the death as a spectacle phenomena famed by the Romans.

Rohirrim
02-04-2010, 12:29 PM
The mess we find ourselves in was a result of 30 years of Americans not paying attention to who in power is doing what. Party does not matter when both sides continually enrich themselves at a normal citizenry's expense. There is no reason a senator should be a senator for more then 12 years, or a congressman more than 10. There is no reason congress should be allowed to vote itself pay raises and then determine if social security deserves a cost of living increase. It also is a joke when congress wishes to force people into government health care, OR pay into social security when members of congress wont be subjected to either.

No reason except for the Constitution. We already have term limitations. It's called the vote. Given that we vote at an average of about 50%, putting us at the bottom three of democracies, I guess you're right. It's our own fault. I wonder what was the Afghani turnout, about 86%? Australia runs at 90%. Americans love to bitch and moan, but rarely can even bother to vote.

Pony Boy
02-04-2010, 12:43 PM
FEMA spent $2.7 billion to buy 145000 mobile homes and trailers after Katrina and Rita hit the Gulf Coast. Load whats left of them on barges and send them to Haiti unfortunately most were gutted but they could still provide some shelter.

broncofan7
02-04-2010, 12:49 PM
All Ten Americans Charged With Kidnapping for Trying to Take Children Out of Haiti

I hope that they are prosecuted by the kangaroo courts in Haiti and sentenced to life in prison--their are plenty of poor black children in America that could use a better chance at life--no need to 'steal' some from haiti........

broncofan7
02-04-2010, 01:01 PM

You still don't get it--I could care LESS about someone's SKIN COLOR.

TailgateNut
02-04-2010, 01:15 PM
FEMA spent $2.7 billion to buy 145000 mobile homes and trailers after Katrina and Rita hit the Gulf Coast. Load whats left of them on barges and send them to Haiti unfortunately most were gutted but they could still provide some shelter.

Then they'll be able to sue the US due to the formaldahyde posioning.

Pony Boy
02-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Then they'll be able to sue the US due to the formaldahyde posioning.

Aint it the truth.....

DBroncos4life
02-04-2010, 03:54 PM
I hear ya Ro. I made my donation.

However, if you actually think about it haiti isn't trillions in debt like America is. Our nations net worth is less than Haiti! Who's going to bail us out when **** hits the fan here?

With any luck Haiti with all the money they seem to have now. I have no issue or problem with our doctors, nurses, and any others going over their to help save the lives of the people of Haiti. The money on the other hand better be for that and not to help them rebuild the country. We need that for ourselves.

watermock
02-04-2010, 04:00 PM
The fed banks are too busy giving themselves bonus' and buying into China and refusing to lend to Americans without subsidies to bother with helping haiti.

How much have the fed banks loaned?

I bet not 1 red cent.

BroncoLifer
02-04-2010, 04:51 PM
You still don't get it--I could care LESS about someone's SKIN COLOR.

In that case, maybe you should start caring less.

Garcia Bronco
02-04-2010, 05:24 PM
You are on a computer typing over the internet. Most of these people will never once get that chanve in their lives. Go cry about your horrible past to them as you eat a nice processed meal and tuck yourself into a warm bed tonight.

You got me there I guess, however don't act like I don't help people or understand what it's like to have nothing, because I've been there. And no I have never lived in a shack shanty town, but an empty stomach on the east side is the same as one on the west side.

broncofan7
02-04-2010, 05:33 PM
You got me there I guess, however don't act like I don't help people or understand what it's like to have nothing, because I've been there. And no I have never lived in a shack shanty town, but an empty stomach on the east side is the same as one on the west side.

No reason to apologize--their are plenty of Americans who struggle daily to grasp the American dream--we should get our own house in order before helping someone else get their's --it's ashame the degree to which Americans will go to help the poor and deshelved of a foreign land--when we have plenty here who could benefit from millions of dollars in aid packacges

watermock
02-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Trillions, not millions.

broncofan7
02-04-2010, 05:39 PM
In that case, maybe you should start caring less.

Maybe you should get your head out of your oversized A$$......

jhns
02-04-2010, 05:40 PM
No reason to apologize--their are plenty of Americans who struggle daily to grasp the American dream--we should get our own house in order before helping someone else get their's --it's ashame the degree to which Americans will go to help the poor and deshelved of a foreign land--when we have plenty here who could benefit from millions of dollars in aid packacges

I give far more to Americans than I give to anyone else. Have you heard of taxes? Have you seen the number of programs we have? I watch these Americans waste my tax dollars as people that don't even try in life get the free handouts.

I feel much worse for some foreign countries where they don't get a shot. Anyone can work hard here and make something of themselves. A lot of the people living in Haiti do not have that chance. They do not get medicare and food stamps. They don't have welfare programs. They don't have the choice to move out of the ghetto. They can work extremely hard and still have no shot. That is not true here in the US.

Anyways, I donate any time we have a disaster. We haven't had one of that size in my lifetime. None of what you guys are arguing really matters. We aren't trying to give their government welfare. We are trying to help a city that was completely flattened with over 100,000 killed.

DarkHorse
02-04-2010, 05:48 PM
I have no problem with the country neglecting our own to aid the rest of the world - i'm used to it by now.

broncofan7
02-04-2010, 05:48 PM
I give far more to Americans than I give to anyone else. Have you heard of taxes? Have you seen the number of programs we have? I watch these Americans waste my tax dollars as people that don't even try in life get the free handouts.

I feel much worse for some foreign countries where they don't get a shot. Anyone can work hard here and make something of themselves. A lot of the people living in Haiti do not have that chance. They do not get medicare and food stamps. They don't have welfare programs. They don't have the choice to move out of the ghetto. They can work extremely hard and still have no shot. That is not true here in the US.

Anyways, I donate any time we have a disaster. We haven't had one of that size in my lifetime. None of what you guys are arguing really matters. We aren't trying to give their government welfare. We are trying to help a city that was completely flattened with over 100,000 killed.

Unfortunately, much of the aid that is given to Haiti is being abused :

see the article link and passage below.

Giving Haiti $$$ will ultimately have the same outcome as giving $$$/aid to those in any major Ghetto in America---rampant corruption and ageneral lack of improvement in quality of life.....

http://eastdallasblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/01/dallas-business-man-helping-at.html

Robert's message:

Today was a tough. I came here hoping to be able to reach out and help the Haitian people. Instead I inherited a nightmare situation that no one was willing to do anything to change it.
We have no security, no armed guards, no other Americans except doctors and nurses to handle the situation we are in. This old hospital is completely surrounded by thousands of Haitians who have no shelter, food or water. The hospital is the only sustaining entity with supplies arriving regularly and therefore the main focus of survival for these people. They are flooding the hospital attempting to get food and water and are preventing access to those who are in desperate need of receiving medical attention.

Healthy people are acting sick and clogging the system in order to gain access. We even had a guy today come through the system just to charge his cell phone on one of the only working outlets. We have had to create several outside triage tents in order to attempt to screen out those who are really needing help.

The hospital needs volunteers in order to operate and that has been one of the biggest problems and security breaches. I put in a new badge system that helped us identify approved workers. I spent my day throwing out those who didn't belong only to have them scream or beg me the rest of the day to let them in. The same thing was going on with the visitors. It was virtually impossible to handle this right. People were telling us they had family inside only to get in to steal supplies. I have had to throw hundreds of people out today and unfortunately I am sure I wasn't always right.

broncofan7
02-04-2010, 05:49 PM
I have no problem with the country neglecting our own to aid the rest of the world - i'm used to it by now.
:~ohyah!:

BroncoLifer
02-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Maybe you should get your head out of your oversized A$$......

Clever retort.

broncocalijohn
02-05-2010, 12:14 AM

cant they make one for $3.54 or will it explode in their face?

That One Guy
02-05-2010, 05:47 AM
So if we DO rebuild the country, then what?

What industry do the haitians support a population of 9 million + on? They've turned their country into a wasteland that wont support agriculture, for the most part. Are they going to fish? Just like every other country with water access will fish? Support millions of people on tourism dollars alone? Unfortunately for them, most of those tour dollars are going to the cruiselines and whatnot and being funnelled elsewhere.

The country was plundered for too long by overpopulation and there's just nothing it offers its people anymore. The jungles are almost completely gone and they can't farm. They weren't eating before the earthquake, now they just don't eat while enjoying the moonlight in their living room.

Not every place on earth can sustain unchecked growth. Any parents having kids there knew they were going to be having a kid that would be going hungry. That falls back on the people.

Most efficient option would be just to bulldoze the people off into the ocean when they do the buildings. Die now or die later, they're gonna die either way. By pouring in money and rebuilding, all it'll do is give them a nicer home to starve in. A nicer table to not eat off of, maybe.

And all of that is before you assess the impact of the government. The place is headed the way of Africa. Stop getting their hopes up and let them starve to death.

broncofan7
02-05-2010, 08:03 AM
cant they make one for $3.54 or will it explode in their face?

:rofl:

broncofan7
02-05-2010, 08:05 AM
So if we DO rebuild the country, then what?

What industry do the haitians support a population of 9 million + on? They've turned their country into a wasteland that wont support agriculture, for the most part. Are they going to fish? Just like every other country with water access will fish? Support millions of people on tourism dollars alone? Unfortunately for them, most of those tour dollars are going to the cruiselines and whatnot and being funnelled elsewhere.

The country was plundered for too long by overpopulation and there's just nothing it offers its people anymore. The jungles are almost completely gone and they can't farm. They weren't eating before the earthquake, now they just don't eat while enjoying the moonlight in their living room.

Not every place on earth can sustain unchecked growth. Any parents having kids there knew they were going to be having a kid that would be going hungry. That falls back on the people.

Most efficient option would be just to bulldoze the people off into the ocean when they do the buildings. Die now or die later, they're gonna die either way. By pouring in money and rebuilding, all it'll do is give them a nicer home to starve in. A nicer table to not eat off of, maybe.

And all of that is before you assess the impact of the government. The place is headed the way of Africa. Stop getting their hopes up and let them starve to death.

Unfortunate, but you wrote was true--and the passage I posted above confirmed my suspicions about AID getting to the people of Haiti

http://eastdallasblog.dallasnews.com...elping-at.html

That One Guy
02-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Unfortunate, but you wrote was true--and the passage I posted above confirmed my suspicions about AID getting to the people of Haiti

http://eastdallasblog.dallasnews.com...elping-at.html

Well it's an issue of good intentions and publicity but nobody really had a plan.

My unit was trying to get into Haiti for almost 2 weeks and had been designated priority by 18th Airborne Corps (the ones in charge of Joint Task Force - Haiti). After about the first week, folks on the ground in Haiti were upset because they were getting more people than they needed and all the planes were full of people rather than supplies. If the US Government is having trouble with the logistics going in and they control the airport, how did anyone plan to get the $60+ million they raised on the Haiti telethon in? Just get it in quarters and dump it out of a passing plane?

Also, the things that the "aid" is providing is stuff that wasn't there before. Medicine, food, etc... is all the things they didn't have. Unless someone has a city full of earthquake proof homes, you aren't gonna provide what they really lost in the quake. The only exception, I think, is the doctors that are still providing medical care to the injuries from the quake. I read one article though where the doctor was crying about not having enough malaria meds. The rainy season is in April when it gets really bad. Are starving populations really going to be investing in malaria pills? Why provide them malaria protection now?

Beantown Bronco
02-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Well it's an issue of good intentions and publicity but nobody really had a plan.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CWILhrSzw5o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CWILhrSzw5o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Popcorn Sutton
02-05-2010, 12:34 PM
STFU with you liberal talking points.............we have enough issues in our own country as it is........get our house in order before we start taking care of others.........

Interesting point. Where were you when Bush/Cheney decided to fight an extremely expensive and senseless war in Iraq that had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the WTC attacks?

Denver Crush
02-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Interesting point. Where were you when Bush/Cheney decided to fight an extremely expensive and senseless war in Iraq that had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the WTC attacks?

Amen Brother!

UberBroncoMan
02-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Same, because it's absolutely true. The country has been a pike of **** since they kicked the French out.

50% of the population under 18.

The entire country lives in a different century and has only expanded because of modern medicine.

I'll be upfront I feel HORRID for the good people that had to die. But this should be an eyeopener to the biggest issue on the planet, which is human overpopulation in poor and developing countries.

Nigeria has nearly half the population of the United States in an area only 356,000 square miles. So about Texas and Oklahoma combined.

It's insane.

gyldenlove
02-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Same, because it's absolutely true. The country has been a pike of **** since they kicked the French out.

50% of the population under 18.

The entire country lives in a different century and has only expanded because of modern medicine.

I'll be upfront I feel HORRID for the good people that had to die. But this should be an eyeopener to the biggest issue on the planet, which is human overpopulation in poor and developing countries.

Nigeria has nearly half the population of the United States in an area only 356,000 square miles. So about Texas and Oklahoma combined.

It's insane.

No, that country has been a pike (whatever that is) of **** since the Spanish found it, killed off all the natives, cut down most of the rain forest and filled it full of slaves and disease.

Lets take the proud state of Alabama as a good example, imagine killing off every single Alabamian (whatever they are called, and I know a few of you have already had this dream), and replace them with people who do not speak the same language, can't read, can't write, have no dissernable talents other than being able to survive on stale water and gruel for 3 months, mix in a healthy dose of diptheria and a host of other debilitating diseases and then lets see them build a country. I am going to go ahead now and give you the foregone conclusion, starvation will be rampant, education levels will stay below minimal, litteracy will be worse than it currently is in Alabama as will health structure, government structure and industry.

Hell, even slave decendents in the US are on average much worse off than decendents of the criminals and religious misfits who were send there and they have had 100 years of having access to schooling, housing, health care (sort of) and abundant natural resources.

broncofan7
02-05-2010, 04:43 PM

Why do you ASSUME that I supported GW? I am NOT a republican. ....nor am I liberal....Iraq was a COLLOSAL mistake....

Archer81
02-05-2010, 06:09 PM
No, that country has been a pike (whatever that is) of **** since the Spanish found it, killed off all the natives, cut down most of the rain forest and filled it full of slaves and disease.

Lets take the proud state of Alabama as a good example, imagine killing off every single Alabamian (whatever they are called, and I know a few of you have already had this dream), and replace them with people who do not speak the same language, can't read, can't write, have no dissernable talents other than being able to survive on stale water and gruel for 3 months, mix in a healthy dose of diptheria and a host of other debilitating diseases and then lets see them build a country. I am going to go ahead now and give you the foregone conclusion, starvation will be rampant, education levels will stay below minimal, litteracy will be worse than it currently is in Alabama as will health structure, government structure and industry.

Hell, even slave decendents in the US are on average much worse off than decendents of the criminals and religious misfits who were send there and they have had 100 years of having access to schooling, housing, health care (sort of) and abundant natural resources.

Uhh...wha? None of this post is factual is it? Or is it purely opinion?