PDA

View Full Version : 11 years ago

gunns
01-31-2010, 10:12 PM
A little late, but 11 years ago today was the last game played by the man. He gave us 16 years of joy, but most of all hope. And that hope was finally realized. He went out with a bang, justice for the greatest. Thank you John Elway.

We should have cloned him.

TDmvp
01-31-2010, 10:29 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0906/sports.breakthroughs/images/john-elway-super-bowl-1998.jpghttp://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1999/0208_large.jpghttp://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1996/1230_large.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/1230/nfl_a_shanahan_elway_200.jpg

We could win 5 super bowls in a row but nothing will ever feel like those 2 seasons.
But even if I never see them win another I seen those and it's all I ever wanted.
Highlights of it still give me chills because I got them today watching NFL network recaps of all the super bowls.

Thx Duke

Los Broncos
01-31-2010, 10:31 PM
I remember the great escape at Stanford then him being a Bronco.

Winning back to back super bowls, couldn't of ended any better.

Thanks for the memories to the greatest QB ever.

strafen
01-31-2010, 10:36 PM
A little late, but 11 years ago today was the last game played by the man. He gave us 16 years of joy, but most of all hope. And that hope was finally realized. He went out with a bang, justice for the greatest. Thank you John Elway.

We should have cloned him.I saw that game, man.
I still remember him marching the AFC team downfield, scoring a TD, going to the sidelines, getting his baseball hat on, and riding into the sunset.
I remember Dierdorf saying he was on his way to the golf course.

Bias aside, the best QB ever to play the game...

TDmvp
01-31-2010, 10:58 PM
There is these 2 clips that gets me every time.

Mike saying to John "I'm so proud of you , you know how good that rings going to look on your finger ? " while hugging after the first super bowl and a clip after the 2nd one of Mike thanking John and telling him he loved him...

Every time they show those highlights tho I have to watch and make sure no one sees me choke up a little ...

Baba Booey
01-31-2010, 11:05 PM
http://jewelsinthejungle.net/images/elway6125.jpg

God Bless you John Elway. My 1o and 11 year-old selves could barely comprehend the awesomeness of those two years at the time.

SoCalBronco
01-31-2010, 11:23 PM
I saw that game, man.
I still remember him marching the AFC team downfield, scoring a TD, going to the sidelines, getting his baseball hat on, and riding into the sunset.
I remember Dierdorf saying he was on his way to the golf course.

Bias aside, the best QB ever to play the game...

Yep...I remember that, too. I believe his last pass was to Sam Gash for the score.

OBF1
01-31-2010, 11:29 PM
where has the time gone.... 11 years already, seems like just yesterday. Long live the Duke!

NFLBRONCO
01-31-2010, 11:31 PM
Yep...I remember that, too. I believe his last pass was to Sam Gash for the score.

no it was incomplete

Borks147
01-31-2010, 11:38 PM
I was telling my dad that it might be time to buy a new TV - he bought his last one the week before that game.

gunns
02-01-2010, 07:38 AM

Ok, I'm thinking there's some kind of sarcasm here but can't figure it out.

There is these 2 clips that gets me every time.

Mike saying to John "I'm so proud of you , you know how good that rings going to look on your finger ? " while hugging after the first super bowl and a clip after the 2nd one of Mike thanking John and telling him he loved him...

Every time they show those highlights tho I have to watch and make sure no one sees me choke up a little ...

I choke up whenever I see John Mobley knock down Favre's throw from 32.

Bigdawg26
02-01-2010, 08:02 AM
AAWWW man I remember my mom throwing me a blue and orange super bowl party that year where everybody had to wear blue and/or orange to come. Man it was fun as a kid going to school next day wearing almost everything denver except the uniform!

missingnumber7
02-01-2010, 08:08 AM
I watched the game in the locker room after we played a bball game in college. I don't remember much about the game, but I know that I was the only one left in the locker room at the end of the game. It was just one of those things...I didn't want the game to be over, because I knew, I think everyone knew it was his last game. I think I wore my elway jersey every day for a week.

HooptyHoops
02-01-2010, 08:14 AM
I remember the 1st sin the most, as the NFC had a HUGE streak of winning the Superbowl and it looked like Green Bay would just continue that streak! I didn't have the confidence that we could win the game(afterall, I'm old enough to remember all the Superbowl losses)...wow, what a shock!! Then, Elway goes out as the Superbowl MVP...does it get anybetter? Awesome!!

WolfpackGuy
02-01-2010, 08:14 AM

Correct, in the Pro Bowl when Gash was on the Bills.

I think some folks are confused...

His last pass at home was incomplete to Eddie Mac in the AFCCG against the Jets.

JUST missed a TD on that one.

NYBronco
02-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Does John still have a business presence in Denver?

briane
02-01-2010, 03:07 PM
A little late, but 11 years ago today was the last game played by the man.

I was at that game....good times!

Wish we could have good times like that again....

Rabb
02-01-2010, 03:16 PM
I won't ever forget the first one, I was in the Navy in San Diego and caught so much hell the week leading up to the game from people I worked with

I was then invited to a SB party, not knowing it was at a Packer fan's house and I was literally the only Bronco fan there (my room mate was a Steelers fan, and was pulling for us so I guess that counts). Packer nation were such pompous fans at the time and I could have been heard back here in Colorado when the game was a lock.

So awesome, that house hated my ass.

gunns
02-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Correct, in the Pro Bowl when Gash was on the Bills.

I think some folks are confused...

His last pass at home was incomplete to Eddie Mac in the AFCCG against the Jets.

JUST missed a TD on that one.

Ok, now get the Gash reference. Wasn't his last pass in the SB to Eddie also and incomplete?

Here's something to make you smile. TD has some in it too, wow what a plowhorse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzPd_CMHDsg&feature=PlayList&p=F0554ACD55E96FA5&index=0&playnext=1

Broncobiv
02-01-2010, 11:53 PM
The day of Super Bowl XXXII, I was 2.5 weeks away from my 16th birthday. Old enough to bleed O&B through and through, but not quite old enough to truly understand the heartache "older" fans had gone through with Denver's previous SB losses. So as our Broncos went into that game as 13.5 point underdogs to Favre's Packers, I was still supremely confident that we would win.

My parents offered to buy me AFC Champions shirts and hats. I refused. I told them, why buy AFC Championship stuff when we can just buy Super Bowl champion stuff one week later? I specifically remember them, in a loving and parental way, preparing me for the fact that Denver might actually lose that game. I refused to reason with that logic. I figured it was Elway's time, and since Favre already won one, it was Denver's turn.

Thank God we won. Like I said, I was a bit too young to have understood the heartache of the previous SB losses. But it sure made me feel good to have had (blind?) faith that they would win, when my parents told me all week that they might actually lose that game. And on a side note, I won 5 separate $20 bets with my friends on that game...$100 is a lot to bet to a 15-year-old!

ZONA
02-02-2010, 12:16 AM
The day of Super Bowl XXXII, I was 2.5 weeks away from my 16th birthday. Old enough to bleed O&B through and through, but not quite old enough to truly understand the heartache "older" fans had gone through with Denver's previous SB losses. So as our Broncos went into that game as 13.5 point underdogs to Favre's Packers, I was still supremely confident that we would win.

My parents offered to buy me AFC Champions shirts and hats. I refused. I told them, why buy AFC Championship stuff when we can just buy Super Bowl champion stuff one week later? I specifically remember them, in a loving and parental way, preparing me for the fact that Denver might actually lose that game. I refused to reason with that logic. I figured it was Elway's time, and since Favre already won one, it was Denver's turn.

Thank God we won. Like I said, I was a bit too young to have understood the heartache of the previous SB losses. But it sure made me feel good to have had (blind?) faith that they would win, when my parents told me all week that they might actually lose that game. And on a side note, I won 5 separate $20 bets with my friends on that game...$100 is a lot to bet to a 15-year-old!

Sounds like you have nice parents. I was raised by my mother and was no longer allowed to watch Broncos games in my own home because I kicked the arms off her couch when the Broncos blew the Superbowl against the Skins. I always had to go next door to neighbors to watch the Broncos games when I was in HS.

I too felt confident about that Superbowl against the Packers. The fact we had a big time running game is what gave me the confidence. I knew it was not all going to be hanging on Johns arm this time.

Cito Pelon
02-02-2010, 01:25 AM
Sounds like you have nice parents. I was raised by my mother and was no longer allowed to watch Broncos games in my own home because I kicked the arms off her couch when the Broncos blew the Superbowl against the Skins. I always had to go next door to neighbors to watch the Broncos games when I was in HS.

I too felt confident about that Superbowl against the Packers. The fact we had a big time running game is what gave me the confidence. I knew it was not all going to be hanging on Johns arm this time.

I was working in Gilbert setting up the Verizon CDMA network at that time, and felt the same way. The Motorola people I was working with were adamant that GB would just basically kick the crap out of Denver. It got pretty nasty.

The Joker
02-02-2010, 02:40 AM
And on a side note, I won 5 separate $20 bets with my friends on that game...$100 is a lot to bet to a 15-year-old!

You should have bet the $100 somewhere where you'd have gotten fair odds.

13.5 point dogs we were, you could have made five times that!

Still, always nice to take money from a friend though. :sunshine:

gunns
02-02-2010, 07:16 AM

I felt confident too. Denver was smugly keeping their mouths shut and acting the underdogs while GB was cocky as hell and already acting the winners.

WolfpackGuy
02-02-2010, 07:20 AM
I felt confident too. Denver was smugly keeping their mouths shut and acting the underdogs while GB was cocky as hell and already acting the winners.

Yeah, I kept telling people that GB was facing the AFC's BEST team that year.

Not the sorryazz Patriots.

Too bad I was in college at the time and didn't have any extra money to bet.

LOL

missingnumber7
02-02-2010, 07:26 AM

That game was my senior year. I remember watching it at a good friend of mines house and only because her dad invited me over, she was a Packers fan. Anyway...I knew that one was ours.

And I was with you on the AFC Championship stuff. I had enough of those shirts, I was ready for a Super Bowl Champs shirt, and I'm glad I held out.

And I'm slightly confused...11 years ago was XXXIII and the Falcons game, 12 was XXXII and the Packers.

worm
02-02-2010, 09:11 AM
I wasn't confident for 32. Too many other times I had my hopes dashed as a kid. The Jacksonville playoff game was still fresh as well. The repeat for GB also looked really strong.

The line was something like GB -12.

I am ashamed to say that I took the points when betting on Denver in that SB. Got harassed by my buddy who took Denver on the money line.

Broncobiv
02-02-2010, 11:13 PM
And I'm slightly confused...11 years ago was XXXIII and the Falcons game, 12 was XXXII and the Packers.
Well yeah, the original intent of the thread was to talk about John's last game. But since we were talking Super Bowls and stuff, I just thought I'd share my story about XXXII.