PDA

View Full Version : Goodell likes new Pro Bowl date, could keep it

HEAV
01-31-2010, 12:55 PM
The Pro Bowl will return to Hawaii next year, but it still might be held the week before the Super Bowl, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told the Miami Herald on Saturday.

“We have the option when we go back to Hawaii, we can do it before or after (the Super Bowl),” Goodell said. “Here’s where I like it: I think you should stop or end your season when you reach the pinnacle. The pinnacle is the Super Bowl. I think it’s anticlimactic when you come back with the Pro Bowl the week after the Super Bowl.”

Traditionally, the Pro Bowl has been held the week after the Super Bowl, allowing players from those teams to participate. Goodell acknowledged that not having the Super Bowl players in the Pro Bowl is a “negative,” but overall, he likes the new date for the league’s all-star game.

“It’s been great,” he told the Herald. “We’ve had a terrific reaction from it. As you know, we have a sold-out crowd, so more people will be in the stadium. I think being here on the mainland has had some significant advantages. But we also love our relationship in Hawaii. The idea here is we’re trying to find every way to improve the game. We’ve got some things that are working here.”
-----------------

Sorry Roger,

The Pro-Bowl should be after the SuperBowl.

Dagmar
01-31-2010, 01:03 PM
The Pro Bowl will return to Hawaii next year, but it still might be held the week before the Super Bowl, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told the Miami Herald on Saturday.

“We have the option when we go back to Hawaii, we can do it before or after (the Super Bowl),” Goodell said. “Here’s where I like it: I think you should stop or end your season when you reach the pinnacle. The pinnacle is the Super Bowl. I think it’s anticlimactic when you come back with the Pro Bowl the week after the Super Bowl.”

Traditionally, the Pro Bowl has been held the week after the Super Bowl, allowing players from those teams to participate. Goodell acknowledged that not having the Super Bowl players in the Pro Bowl is a “negative,” but overall, he likes the new date for the league’s all-star game.

“It’s been great,” he told the Herald. “We’ve had a terrific reaction from it. As you know, we have a sold-out crowd, so more people will be in the stadium. I think being here on the mainland has had some significant advantages. But we also love our relationship in Hawaii. The idea here is we’re trying to find every way to improve the game. We’ve got some things that are working here.”
-----------------

Sorry Roger,

It is a very anticlimatic event though.

The Joker
01-31-2010, 01:06 PM
I think it works better during the bye week.

WolfpackGuy
01-31-2010, 01:13 PM
Has the Pro Bowl ever meant anything to the players other than a free trip to Hawaii?

They didn't even get that this year.

If he wants to do something with the extra week between the championship games and Super Bowl, move the Super Bowl up a week.

Two of the best games (Giants-Bills, Pats-Rams) were played without the extra week in between.

titan
01-31-2010, 01:32 PM
I don't think the Pro Bowl will ever be as interesting an all star game as baseball's or basketball's. What makes baseball and basketball's all star games better:

1. It's in the middle of the season

2. It's moved around to all the league cities, so when a city hosts the all star game it's a big deal

3. Each of those sports has so many games that the risk of injury in the all star game is not a major factor.

The Pro Bowl is pretty boring whether they play it the week before the Super Bowl or the week after. At least when it's in Hawaii played after the Super Bowl it's more of a reward for the players, and there are always some interesting interviews on the beach with the Super Bowl players on what happened the weekend before.

Blueflame
01-31-2010, 01:41 PM
We used to make a pretty big deal of the Pro Bowl... invited friends over to party and watch the game. Maybe not quite on the scale of the Super Bowl, but it was a "last chance to watch football for a few months" thing. This year, with the new scheduling, I probably won't even watch. Just can't get excited about watching "superstars" like Vince Young and David Garrard play. Meh. There has to be something more fun to do than that.

Pick Six
01-31-2010, 02:42 PM
The Pro Bowl is meaningless, no matter when it is played. They should cancel the whole concept, but the players' union will never go for it...

Blueflame
01-31-2010, 02:49 PM
The Pro Bowl is meaningless, no matter when it is played. They should cancel the whole concept, but the players' union will never go for it...

It's meaningless (just an exhibition game) but the whole concept is flawed when all the players from the two best teams are... by necessity... excluded from the game. When you have to dig down to mediocre players (due to better ones bowing out) just to fill the rosters, there is no point whatsoever.

Broncos4tw
01-31-2010, 02:54 PM
I rarely even watch the game, unless more of our own players are in it. But I still think it being this week is not a very good idea, it hardly seems fair to the players who are going to the SB who can't go. Almost certainly, some of them are in the SB.

But then again, these dudes can afford to go to Hawaii at any time. So.. meh, I don't care. : p

SoCalBronco
01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Outstanding. Having the Pro Bowl in town for the last recruiting weekend of the year is awesome!

Atwater His Ass
01-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Meaningless game no matter how you slice it. When the players are picked based on how they played for only half the season and 14 players now won't be able to compete from the 2 SB teams, what's the point?

I think it'd be a better idea to delay the selection of the players until the bye week prior to the SB, then move the actual game back to February in Hawaii again. Do like some kind of cool selection show on NFL network or something.

UberBroncoMan
01-31-2010, 03:41 PM
I wonder if Roger realizes the stadium is sold out because not only is it in the continental US... it's IN THE SAME ****ING CITY AS THE SUPER BOWL.

No **** it's sold out.

It would be sold out even if it was the week after the Super Bowl.

gyldenlove
01-31-2010, 03:54 PM
Why the hell do they play that game? the players clearly don't care, the fans don't care, the media doesn't care. I swear it is just an excuse for the NFL execs to go somewhere warm for 2 weeks and hit the links and beaches.

ColoradoDarin
01-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Between this and the "NFL Draft in PRIMETIME!!11!1oneone!!" I think I will be watching less football-like programs this year.

No Roger, this is not a good move. They should do away completely with the Pro Bowl game, just name the players, hand them a check and a free trip to Hawaii.

Or better, just hold a "Skills Competition" instead. That would be more fun to watch anymore.

hades
01-31-2010, 05:23 PM
I hope it draws the lowest viewers/ratings every and Goodell freaks out

missingnumber7
01-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Mike and Mike were talking about a suggestion that someone made this past week that they play the Pro bowl at Canton before the season starts with the induction ceremony.

Atwater His Ass
01-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Mike and Mike were talking about a suggestion that someone made this past week that they play the Pro bowl at Canton before the season starts with the induction ceremony.

would make it worse in my mind. you'd be taking away valuable pre-season time from both coaches and players to prepare for this game at the start of the new season.

RhymesayersDU
01-31-2010, 08:03 PM
This is going to be debated for years, I can tell you that much. You'll never get agreement from everybody.

On the one hand, I completely agree with Goodell that the last image of a season should be a player or team holding up the Lombardi trophy. The last game, what you're building to all year long, should be the Championship. So for me personally, I like the move. Plus it gives you a little something during the 2-week break between Conference Championships and the Super Bowl.

Now for me personally, it doesn't bother me that no Colts or Saints get to play. There are so many other great players. BUT, with that said, I do understand why some people dislike the fact that the best players from the best 2 teams can't play. It doesn't bother me, but I get it.

With that said, I agree with this:

Or better, just hold a "Skills Competition" instead. That would be more fun to watch anymore.

If I ran the NFL, here would be my idea:

You eliminate bye weeks. After 8 games, every team takes a Sunday off and you hold a Skills Competition by invitation. This would also make the league a little fairer for those teams that get stuck with early byes. Everybody would have the same rest time.

It would be pretty light. QBs would be highlighted, obviously, because it's easy to have moving targets, far away targets, etc. You have maybe some foot races between RBs and WRs. Maybe some strength tests for linemen. (Who can bench the most, etc) Maybe you have a light 7 on 7 flag football game or something.

The problem is, I don't know if that'd be interesting or play well on TV. Obviously, you can't have a mid-year Pro Bowl game in the NFL. You simply can't. With that said, since this would probably never happen, I hope they keep it as it is this year. The week before the Super Bowl.

SouthStndJunkie
01-31-2010, 08:07 PM

Don't see that happening for many reasons....one being if a player got hurt, they would not have all offseason to rehab the injury....the season would be right around the corner.

Bronco CB40
01-31-2010, 08:24 PM
I hope it draws the lowest viewers/ratings every and Goodell freaks out

Not going to happen. Last year the Pro Bowl drew over a 7 rating, which was still more than twice as many viewers that tuned into NBA basketball, college basketball, golf, etc. over the weekend.

Taco John
01-31-2010, 09:29 PM
I like it this way better, even though I still don't care. But the logic about the last thing being the Championship sounds good to me.

SnowGoose77
01-31-2010, 11:13 PM
Couldn't really care less about the Pro Bowl. Maybe they should play it in London and other foreign countries and leave the regular season games in the US where they belong. At least this way teams don't lose valuable home games and Roger can do still do his "promoting the game world wide" without messing up the integrity of the schedule.

BigPlayShay
01-31-2010, 11:24 PM
Don't see that happening for many reasons....one being if a player got hurt, they would not have all offseason to rehab the injury....the season would be right around the corner.

Not only that, but what about players that are Free Agents that move teams or are traded? Do they represent their old or new team?

HILife
02-01-2010, 07:28 AM

-----------------

Sorry Roger,

I agree 100%

Arkie
02-01-2010, 07:38 AM
I don't think the Pro Bowl will ever be as interesting an all star game as baseball's or basketball's. What makes baseball and basketball's all star games better:

1. It's in the middle of the season

2. It's moved around to all the league cities, so when a city hosts the all star game it's a big deal

3. Each of those sports has so many games that the risk of injury in the all star game is not a major factor.

The Pro Bowl is pretty boring whether they play it the week before the Super Bowl or the week after. At least when it's in Hawaii played after the Super Bowl it's more of a reward for the players, and there are always some interesting interviews on the beach with the Super Bowl players on what happened the weekend before.

All-star games in the middle of the season only measure the first half of the season. That could be good for us. The Broncos would have 10 pro bowlers every year.

Beantown Bronco
02-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Has the Pro Bowl ever meant anything to the players other than a free trip to Hawaii?

I can think of one:

:contract:

HEAV
02-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Not going to happen. Last year the Pro Bowl drew over a 7 rating, which was still more than twice as many viewers that tuned into NBA basketball, college basketball, golf, etc. over the weekend.

I watch the entire game (as always when Broncos play) and I enjoyed it. It wasn't a real hard hitting or fierce competetion from start to end, but it wasw fun football.

As far as the ratings go, reports say the Pro Bowl drew a 7+ overall and that is with the Grammy's getting an 18 last night.

HEAV
02-01-2010, 10:18 AM
ESPN's Pro Bowl overnight rtg: 7.9 mtrd mkt avg. +39% over last yrs 5.7 on NBC.

HAT
02-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Well, I like it better before the SB than after but it's still pretty dumb since no Saints or Colts could play.

I say get rid of staggered bye weeks. Have the PB on Thanksgiving weekend and the rest of the league takes the wekend off as the 'Pro Bowl' break.

That would eliminate any scheduling advantages coming off of byes and give all teams a chance to heal and rest after 3/4 of the season is played and gear up for the last month play-off push.

I know it will never happen because there'd only be 16 weeks of televised games instead of 17 which is why the bye week was invented in the first place.....But every other league finds a way to get it's All Star game played mid-season. Hell, NHL even deals with the olympics every 4 years.

HEAV
02-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Well, I like it better before the SB than after but it's still pretty dumb since no Saints or Colts could play.

I say get rid of staggered bye weeks. Have the PB on Thanksgiving weekend and the rest of the league takes the wekend off as the 'Pro Bowl' break.

That would eliminate any scheduling advantages coming off of byes and give all teams a chance to heal and rest after 3/4 of the season is played and gear up for the last month play-off push.

I know it will never happen because there'd only be 16 weeks of televised games instead of 17 which is why the bye week was invented in the first place.....But every other league finds a way to get it's All Star game played mid-season. Hell, NHL even deals with the olympics every 4 years.

No NFL coach would allow his player to take part in exibition game during the Season. Too much risk for injury and losing that player for a playoff run.

The Pro-Bowl should be after the Super Bowl. It's offers rewards to players that didn't make the playoffs and it allows the Super Bowl winners a stage get love from other players.

The Pro Bowl with Manning and Brees is better than a Pro bowl with Vince Young and Romo.

HAT
02-01-2010, 12:24 PM
I hear ya HEAV but I just don't buy the argument that what works for the other 3 sports can't work for NFL because it's "more physical" or a shorter season.

When is the last time anyone suffered a serious injury in a major all-star game?

BTW.....This wasn't some random experiment by the NFL. It was moved THIS YEAR because the weekend after the Super Bowl just happens to also be....

NBA all star game
Winter Olympics opening weekend
Daytona 500

HEAV
02-01-2010, 12:55 PM
When is the last time anyone suffered a serious injury in a major all-star game?

Drew Brees dislocates elbow in Pro Bowl (2007)
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/saints/2007-02-10-brees-injury_x.htm

I also remember Brent Jones (49ers TE) breaking his foot back in the 90's while playing in the pro bowl.

It's just not worth the risk.

Baseball, NHL, NBA are so long that they need that break in the middle of the season.

The NFL season is so short and the games matter too much to lose a player over an allstar game.

oubronco
02-01-2010, 12:57 PM
The Pro Blow was boring as hell on the other hand the Winter X Games were entertaining

Garcia Bronco
02-01-2010, 01:18 PM
I would rather see the pro bowl players playing the best senior college kids...now that would be entertaining. They used to do this too in a different package.`

Hogan11
02-01-2010, 01:20 PM

Game, set & match.

JJJ
02-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Seems like it should be the week before the SB in the same city as the SB. I would turn it into a Monday nighter as the kickoff to Superbowl week. Hell move it to Tuesday or Thursday night even. Get the SB crowd worked up.

Play2win
02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Seems like it should be the week before the SB in the same city as the SB. I would turn it into a Monday nighter as the kickoff to Superbowl week. Hell move it to Tuesday or Thursday night even. Get the SB crowd worked up.

Make it New Orleans...

Can you imagine the Pro Bowl on a Tuesday, and the Super Bowl the next Sunday, It would be a non-stop kick-ass party!! It would be like bastille day, mardi gras, and carnival all rolled into one week!! :militia:

boltaneer
02-01-2010, 04:00 PM

Those are impressive numbers. Also didn't they say on the broadcast that this was the first time the Pro Bowl sold out in 50 years?

I think the fact that the ratings were up nearly 40% despite the fact that it was on cable means that this format is likely to continue.

I thought that I wouldn't enjoy it being played this week minus a bunch of the top stars but it was actually an enjoyable game.

I think this format might actually work well. Let the Super Bowl be the final game of the season.

HAT
02-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Those are impressive numbers. Also didn't they say on the broadcast that this was the first time the Pro Bowl sold out in 50 years?

I think the fact that the ratings were up nearly 40% despite the fact that it was on cable means that this format is likely to continue.

As I mentioned before...The NFL had no choice but to move it to the week before from a ratings standpoint. The week after SB is NBA all star game, opening weekend of winter olympics, and Daytona 500. Ratings would've been about a quarter what they were. They also benefited from Lakers-Celts lead in yesterday.