PDA

View Full Version : Ayers admits season didn't go as expected.

Hamrob
01-31-2010, 10:34 AM
I like what the kid is saying. I'm crossing my fingers that he can turn it around next season. If he would somehow turn into a player at the other OLB and we take a kid like McClain in the 1st round. Ouch. What do you think?

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/jan/29/ayers-admits-rookie-season-didnt-go-as-planned/

Broncoman13
01-31-2010, 10:45 AM
I think the people that are talking about guys like Lamar Woodley and Anthony Spencer are probably on the right track. Neither of those guys looked great their rookie years but they have grown and become outstanding OLBs and each showed big jumps after sub-par rookie seasons. Spencer more so than Woodley. If he can bring that type of presence to our defense it will be great. I think he can do it, I just wish he was faster off the snap. Everything about his game is slowed b/c of his tendency to get off the ball slow. Watch his tape in College and he was the same way. He can still be effective, but if he explodes off the snap he'll be a lot better off. Hopefully that will come with time and a greater understanding of his play responsibilities.

listopencil
01-31-2010, 10:46 AM
" . . . but I'm just going to get back to what got me here - working hard, being coachable and just getting after it."

Sounds good.

meangene
01-31-2010, 10:49 AM
I think the people that are talking about guys like Lamar Woodley and Anthony Spencer are probably on the right track. Neither of those guys looked great their rookie years but they have grown and become outstanding OLBs and each showed big jumps after sub-par rookie seasons. Spencer more so than Woodley. If he can bring that type of presence to our defense it will be great. I think he can do it, I just wish he was faster off the snap. Everything about his game is slowed b/c of his tendency to get off the ball slow. Watch his tape in College and he was the same way. He can still be effective, but if he explodes off the snap he'll be a lot better off. Hopefully that will come with time and a greater understanding of his play responsibilities.

If he stays at OLB, I think he will play at about 260. That, along with the natural progression in his transition to a totally new position should lead to a greatly improved sophmore season. I fully expect him to be a major contributor on our defense next year.

Hamrob
01-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Yeah, 260 with a little more explosion and quicks would serve him well.

DenverBrit
01-31-2010, 11:06 AM
I like what the kid is saying. I'm crossing my fingers that he can turn it around next season. If he would somehow turn into a player at the other OLB and we take a kid like McClain in the 1st round. Ouch. What do you think?

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/jan/29/ayers-admits-rookie-season-didnt-go-as-planned/

Agreed.

He was a one year starter at TN joins the Broncos and plays a new position on a team with new players and a new scheme.

It's not like he was slotted into a system that was in place and stable with established personnel.

Hamrob
01-31-2010, 11:12 AM
If we can get a 1st and 3rd for Marshall...we'll be looking good. Then we can perhaps get McClain and Dan Williams in the first...then pick the best guard/center availalble in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Then, if Ayers can turn into a player...we're on our way defensively.

The wild card is Scheffler. I'd love to get a 2nd rounder for him.

Wes Mantooth
01-31-2010, 11:20 AM
If we can get a 1st and 3rd for Marshall...we'll be looking good. Then we can perhaps get McClain and Dan Williams in the first...then pick the best guard/center availalble in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Then, if Ayers can turn into a player...we're on our way defensively.

The wild card is Scheffler. I'd love to get a 2nd rounder for him.

lucky to get a 5 or 6 for Scheff. His career thus far has him as a backup pass-catching tight end.

bpc
01-31-2010, 11:23 AM
I think he's going to be fine, but he doesn't look like an explosive athlete at the OLB position, at least in terms of COD skills and all that. He's a straight ahead player who explodes through blockers, but isn't a refined pass rusher and definitely not a guy you can drop in coverage. At least not at this time.

We need to find out what this guy's strengths are, if he can cover, and then make a decision. Personally, i think he's a Demarcus Ware type player in that he only has the ability to run up-field. I would probably bulk him up at play him on the line. That's just me though.

barryr
01-31-2010, 11:31 AM
I'd like to see more of Dumervil and Ayers on opposite sides. To have a true effective 3-4 defense, you need 2 OLB's that are pass rushing types. Just having one isn't enough, unless you have a DL that is also a pass rusher, but finding a 3-4 type DL that can do that is harder.

barryr
01-31-2010, 11:33 AM
I think he's going to be fine, but he doesn't look like an explosive athlete at the OLB position, at least in terms of COD skills and all that. He's a straight ahead player who explodes through blockers, but isn't a refined pass rusher and definitely not a guy you can drop in coverage. At least not at this time.

We need to find out what this guy's strengths are, if he can cover, and then make a decision. Personally, i think he's a Demarcus Ware type player in that he only has the ability to run up-field. I would probably bulk him up at play him on the line. That's just me though.

He'd be a waste as a DL in a 3-4 defense since would need to get to at least 290lbs and doubtful would be much against the run, which a DL in a 3-4 needs to be at the very least.

PRBronco
01-31-2010, 11:56 AM
I have to admit, Ayers was on my "do not draft" list, I don't like one year wonders. But I put a lot of stock in Senior Bowl performance Mike Mayock's opinion, (and I'm a homer) so I warmed to him soon enough. I definitely like having someone with his size in our linebacking core, and to the people with concerns about his explosiveness, I think he really excelled at that during senior bowl practices, he probably lost some pop due to dropping weight to play OLB here. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do after a full off season of training at his target weight.

Also I find it hard to believe they couldn't find a better picture of him for that article ><

Cito Pelon
01-31-2010, 12:17 PM
The jury is still out on Ayers, but I'm gonna stick my neck out and say he's not gonna be more than an average guy, maybe 5 sacks a year. He obviously didn't have the explosive first couple steps I'd like to see like Elvis had his first year in the NFL. I think he'll be a good average player, but never will be a bigtime sack guy.

I could be wrong, but most of the time if a player is gonna be a bigtime sack guy, you see it right away, unless they're injured.

gyldenlove
01-31-2010, 12:34 PM
At least he has the smarts to know he sucked, maybe he is not entirely useless after all.

Bronco Boy
01-31-2010, 12:36 PM
I admitted that same thing after about week 1.

Hamrob
01-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Sacks are one type of effectiveness....stopping the run, tackles for losses and pressure on the QB are just as important.

I love Elvis, but he too....needs to improve. He's a definite weapon, but disapears in games...he needs to learn to play the OLB position better.

If both of these guys can improve this offseason....then, we have something.

gyldenlove
01-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Sacks are one type of effectiveness....stopping the run, tackles for losses and pressure on the QB are just as important.

I love Elvis, but he too....needs to improve. He's a definite weapon, but disapears in games...he needs to learn to play the OLB position better.

If both of these guys can improve this offseason....then, we have something.

And it would be swell if Ayers would do either of those things, but when you look at the games when the run game got gashed, a significant number of huge gains came on cutbacks where Ayers didn't keep the contain.

WolfpackGuy
01-31-2010, 01:15 PM
And it would be swell if Ayers would do either of those things, but when you look at the games when the run game got gashed, a significant number of huge gains came on cutbacks where Ayers didn't keep the contain.

Yeah, the second half of the Steelers game was ugly.

BroncoMan4ever
01-31-2010, 01:48 PM
when he was drafted it was always talked about that he was a little more raw than a guy like Orakpo, but he has the higher ceiling. in the next few seasons he will undoubtedly be the better of the 2

Atwater His Ass
01-31-2010, 03:18 PM
"Used mostly as a reserve during the 2009 season, Ayers finished with just 18 tackles. He didn't have any sacks."

Paging Florida Bronco to tell us that he was bascially a "starter" this year and played "in heavy rotation" amongst the LB's.

But on a serious note, it's nice to see Ayers working on his game, but it's just talk at this point. He needs to step up and produce next year on the field.

Cito Pelon
01-31-2010, 03:38 PM
I hate to say it, but Ayers was as lost as I've ever seen for a rookie 1st rounder.

Requiem
01-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Was never a fan of Ayers, rose up the boards to quick and was a one-year phenom for the Vols. **** that ****.

extralife
01-31-2010, 04:41 PM
This kid showed nothing, had one significant year at college, and doesn't have a true position. If he ever does become something we will be lucky. These are the kinds of guys that almost never pan out--give me a guy that knows and has played high level football in the past. Give me the guy with a position and a body of work.

gtown
01-31-2010, 04:45 PM

Teams that gashed us with the run would usually force us into our nickel where Ayers would play the end in a 4-3 set up. He sucked in the formations but was much better when we lined up in a 3-4 in place of haggan. He doesn't have the size to be a DE in a 4-3 or 3-4. We should put him at OLB and force him to at least learn one position well.

sixtimeseight
01-31-2010, 04:53 PM
This kid showed nothing, had one significant year at college, and doesn't have a true position. If he ever does become something we will be lucky. These are the kinds of guys that almost never pan out--give me a guy that knows and has played high level football in the past. Give me the guy with a position and a body of work.

It's cute when fat message board posters pretend they know more about football than NFL scouts.

jhat01
01-31-2010, 04:55 PM
It's cute when fat message board posters pretend they know more about football than NFL scouts.

:approve: cracks me up too.

Zoobie
01-31-2010, 04:56 PM
Wow a lot of people on here have no patience. One season and he is officially a bust? Ayers did enough good things and is gifted athletically, I see no reason not to give him another year or two before I throw out the bust card.

BroncoMan4ever
01-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Wow a lot of people on here have no patience. One season and he is officially a bust? Ayers did enough good things and is gifted athletically, I see no reason not to give him another year or two before I throw out the bust card.

hell most on the board waited 2 seasons at least before labeling Moss a bust. Ayers deserves at least that.

Atwater His Ass
01-31-2010, 05:43 PM

Ayers deserves time for sure. However, his initial season was a flop, no two ways about it. Look at what guys like Cushing and Orakpo did for a comparison.

The issue most people have with Ayers is that we spent the 18th overall pick on a project player, similiar to moving in the 1st round to get Moss.

The fact that this happened again with a totaly different regimn in town is what has me concerend about McD not understanding how to draft.

ayjackson
01-31-2010, 06:19 PM
Personally, i think he's a Demarcus Ware type player in that he only has the ability to run up-field.

I think you need to watch a little more Ware. As 3-4 OLB's come, he's about as good and as well rounded as they come. Excellent against the run, sniffs out a screen better than anybody and pretty good in coverage. Oh yeah, I think he's not bad at getting to the QB - may have a couple of moves.

Zoobie
01-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Ayers deserves time for sure. However, his initial season was a flop, no two ways about it. Look at what guys like Cushing and Orakpo did for a comparison.

The issue most people have with Ayers is that we spent the 18th overall pick on a project player, similiar to moving in the 1st round to get Moss.

The fact that this happened again with a totaly different regimn in town is what has me concerend about McD not understanding how to draft.

I'd say considering he was a 270lb. Defensive End coming in to a defense in transition to a new 34 front scheme as well as a new coaching staff overall, things didn't go terribly. There are many MANY times where Ayers was very good in setting the edge in run defense, dropping into coverage(particularly in the nickel package), as well as got pressure and aided in collapsing the pocket. Sure he was a top 20 pick but we have to give him some time. Cushing came into a 4-3 defense, and Orakpo was just flat out solid.

strafen
01-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Orakpo, clay Mathews, two players we could've had in last year's draft instead of Ayers, made the Pro-Bowl in their first year as rookies. Just sayin'

bombay
01-31-2010, 09:08 PM
hell most on the board waited 2 seasons at least before labeling Moss a bust. Ayers deserves at least that.

Damn. Those things are bigger than her head.

That's a good thing. I think.

extralife
01-31-2010, 09:11 PM

and I like it when fat message board posters pretend they know something about football by saying they don't agree with what other posters say. anyone can say "oh man this guy said he was good and he gets PAID to do this FOR A LIVING so WHAT DO YOU KNOW??!?!?"

it's a ****ing message board, what you want me to say?

(scouts are wrong as often as they're right. part of the job, idiot.)

azbroncfan
01-31-2010, 09:16 PM
The new coaching scheme will finally "turn him loose." Nolan didn't do that.

sixtimeseight
01-31-2010, 09:18 PM
and I like it when fat message board posters pretend they know something about football by saying they don't agree with what other posters say. anyone can say "oh man this guy said he was good and he gets PAID to do this FOR A LIVING so WHAT DO YOU KNOW??!?!?"

it's a ****ing message board, what you want me to say?

(scouts are wrong as often as they're right. part of the job, idiot.)

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/16032/969638-cool_story__bro_super.jpg

Baba Booey
01-31-2010, 09:18 PM
I think it was Mayock that said that it would take three years or so, but that Ayers could end up being one of the best defenders in his class.

KipCorrington25
01-31-2010, 09:19 PM

Yeah we waited too long with Moss, now we are correcting that and calling this one when we see it. :rofl:

Baba Booey
01-31-2010, 09:19 PM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/16032/969638-cool_story__bro_super.jpg

Ha!

bpc
01-31-2010, 10:10 PM
He'd be a waste as a DL in a 3-4 defense since would need to get to at least 290lbs and doubtful would be much against the run, which a DL in a 3-4 needs to be at the very least.

This is worthless conjecture.

A. He wouldn't be a waste in the 3-4 at DL. His game is straight ahead power, leverage, and his primary pass rushing move is the bull rush.

B. His playing weight at Tennessee was 275lbs. And he looked slim for that weight. He could easily add the bulk and still be in great shape allowing him to hold up against blockers.

C. How is his skill doubtful in the running game? Nothing proves this. He can hold the POA. He has great leverage, strength and has good hands. His apparent athletic ability to play OLB allows him to pursue sideline to sideline more effectively than natural defensive linemen.

Your take had no basis to it what so ever. I'm not sure if Ayers has the pash rushing skills to be a great OLB in the 3-4, or even a good one. He's never had a great sacking season. He only had 3 as a senior. His best plays in college were against the run.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PAR9Qb3liRs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PAR9Qb3liRs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ZachKC
01-31-2010, 11:03 PM
the wild card is scheffler. I'd love to get a 2nd rounder for him.
rofl!