PDA

View Full Version : Former NFL star Walker, 47, wins MMA debut

Bronco Rob
01-31-2010, 06:27 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TBUAuspBxow&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TBUAuspBxow&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SUNRISE, Fla. -- Former NFL star Herschel Walker stopped Hungarian fighter Greg Nagy in the third round Saturday night to win his mixed-martial arts debut

Walker drove Nagy into the fence early in the third. After a flurry of punches, referee Troy Waugh called the fight.

"The experience was exciting," Walker said. "This is the hardest thing I've ever done."

Still trim and fit at 47, Walker used his strength advantage to wear down the 26-year-old Nagy (1-2). He appeared to be close to the win near the end of the second five-minute round, but Nagy managed to extend the bout.

Walker was the 1982 Heisman Trophy winner while at Georgia and played professionally for Dallas, Philadelphia, Minnesota, the New York Giants and the USFL's New Jersey Generals.

In his football days, Walker dropped jaws with a workout regimen that included upwards of 3,000 situps and pushups everyday. He also holds a fifth-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do.

Walker, a 1992 U.S. Olympian in the two-man bobsled, turned his attention to MMA about 2 months ago when he moved to San Jose, Calif., to train at renowned American Kickboxing Academy. He prepared for his debut by practicing against Jon Fitch and Cain Velasquez.

"They're the ones that got me here," Walker said. "We sparred three days a week to get me ready."

Despite some raggedness, his first fight went far better than those of former baseball slugger Jose Canseco, who lasted just 78 seconds in his debut last July, or ex-NFL receiver Johnnie Morton, who was carried out on a stretcher.

Among those in Saturday night's crowd was New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, whose TV interview was met with boos from Miami Dolphins fans in the arena.

;)

elsid13
01-31-2010, 06:48 AM
Walker looked to be in very good shape, and had some skills, but he was fighting a stiff that shouldn't have been in the octagon.

Bronco Yoda
01-31-2010, 07:30 AM
The guy is still in incredible shape.

LRtagger
01-31-2010, 08:18 AM
I was at the fight last night. Walker was in amazing shape. Completely shredded at 47 years old. But he has a LOT of work to do on technique if he wants to compete in MMA. He missed a lot of openings that would have won him the fight sooner.

TexanBob
01-31-2010, 10:01 AM
I wonder what sort of debt Walker has to pay off? This is usually the sort of crap you see with over-the-hill boxers who have about three alimonies and 20 child support payments to pay long after their actual talent has gone to seed. Last year, he was on the "Celebrity Apprentice". It's obvious the man is hard up for money or a job to keep showing up in these junk sports venues and celebrity crapfests.

Poor guy. I thought he was doing so much better in life than he apparently is.

Wes Mantooth
01-31-2010, 10:08 AM
a 47 year old...started 2 1/2 months ago. Amazing.

listopencil
01-31-2010, 10:17 AM
I wonder what sort of debt Walker has to pay off? This is usually the sort of crap you see with over-the-hill boxers who have about three alimonies and 20 child support payments to pay long after their actual talent has gone to seed. Last year, he was on the "Celebrity Apprentice". It's obvious the man is hard up for money or a job to keep showing up in these junk sports venues and celebrity crapfests.

Maybe he's just the kind of guy that has to face difficult challenges to feel alive.

RhymesayersDU
01-31-2010, 10:24 AM

Maybe, maybe not.

Jerry Rice did "Dancing With the Stars" and I think we can assume he's not in need of money. These guys retire in their 30s with the majority of their lives still ahead of them. God forbid they just like taking on new challenges and having some fun rather than sitting around the house all day. I mean take this MMA thing; is it really that inconceivable than a competitive athlete wants to stay competitive and keep his body in top physical shape?

I get it; you don't like MMA and don't like reality TV. That's cool. But I don't really see a problem with athletes taking on new endeavors and new challenges. It doesn't mean they're broken down or poor.

bronco610
01-31-2010, 10:31 AM
Maybe, maybe not.

Jerry Rice did "Dancing With the Stars" and I think we can assume he's not in need of money. These guys retire in their 30s with the majority of their lives still ahead of them. God forbid they just like taking on new challenges and having some fun rather than sitting around the house all day. I mean take this MMA thing; is it really that inconceivable than a competitive athlete wants to stay competitive and keep his body in top physical shape?

I get it; you don't like MMA and don't like reality TV. That's cool. But I don't really see a problem with athletes taking on new endeavors and new challenges. It doesn't mean they're broken down or poor.

Not to mention keeping their face on TV to keep their celebrity status.

broncocalijohn
01-31-2010, 12:09 PM
I thought he did pretty damn good for a complete rookie. If he goes up against somebody with some weight on them, they can defend a ton better on Walker. There are things that he will get trapped in when he thinks he has total control. Good luck to him.

SouthStndJunkie
01-31-2010, 12:25 PM

They said before the fight that he was donating all his winnings to charity.

Herschel Walker has a black belt in Karate....I think he is a dude that just loves a challenge and competition.

Bronco Boy
01-31-2010, 12:33 PM
They said before the fight that he was donating all his winnings to charity.

Herschel Walker has a black belt in Karate....I think he is a dude that just loves a challenge and competition.

Exactly, he didn't need the money, he's just a competitive guy. He said in a prefight interview that if MMA was big when he was a kid he would have done that instead of football. That being said, his ground game was pretty horrible. Fun to watch him fight though.

Flex Gunmetal
01-31-2010, 07:17 PM

Way to make an ass out of yourself. He said on 1st take that 100% of the proceeds are going to charity.
Dude's got fire and loves to compete.

kamakazi_kal
01-31-2010, 07:34 PM

that 5th degree black belt likley took him 8 or so years to aquire. 10th degree would be considered a grand master ....

sixtimeseight
01-31-2010, 07:39 PM
TexanBob Don't Argue With Me You Know I'm Right Except for, you know, when you're completely wrong, like in this thread.

Flex Gunmetal
01-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Except for, you know, when you're completely wrong, like in this thread.

oh lawd. lol

OBF1
01-31-2010, 09:15 PM
that 5th degree black belt likley took him 8 or so years to aquire. 10th degree would be considered a grand master ....

8 years...... Only if you are a god like yourself. Walker has been in Tae Kwon Do since his football playing days. 8 years ???

Taco John
01-31-2010, 09:23 PM

That's terribly judgemental.

Pony Boy
02-01-2010, 09:11 AM
That's terribly judgemental.

Yes it is....
Walker, who at 47 looks to be in the same supreme physical condition that characterized his football career, has not ruled out a second MMA fight.
But he's not in it for the money. He donated his purse to charity.
And after the beating Nagy took, the charity might decide to donate the money to him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/31/herschel-walker-wins-mma-debut/

Don Flamenco
02-01-2010, 09:31 AM

LOL at a sport where someone can train 2 1/2 months and compete on national television. What's next, a WWE wrestler headlining and winning the UFC HW belt?

Garcia Bronco
02-01-2010, 09:39 AM
LOL at a sport where someone can train 2 1/2 months and compete on national television. What's next, a WWE wrestler headlining and winning the UFC HW belt?

Exactly.