PDA

View Full Version : senior bowl players on the rise (part 2)

titan
01-30-2010, 12:43 PM
2nd part from http://www.movethesticks.com/

Senior Bowl: Players On The Rise Part 2

Earlier in the week I mentioned the two biggest winners during practice at the Senior Bowl. Both Idaho OG Mike Iupati and Arkansas State DE Alex Carrington seized the opportunity to compete against bigger school competition and showed the ability to dominate. Here are some other players that upped their draft stock with solid practices during the week:

* Cal DE Tyson Alualu 6022 291- He checked in a little bit bigger than most scouts anticipated. He spent a lot of time playing DE this week because the North squad is loaded with DTís. While he performed well outside, he is going to end up as an interior defender where he can use his quickness and strength to be a 3 down player. I think he will be an excellent 2nd round pick.

* Michigan DE Brandon Graham 6010 263- Ideally, you would like Graham to be a few inches taller but his lack of height/length didnít hurt him this week. He was outstanding in 1-1 drills. He can win as a rusher with quickness on the edge, a jolting bull rush as well as a nifty inside counter move. He looks like a mid to late 1st round pick.

* Penn State DE Jared Odrick 6051 301- Guys like this are hard to find. With so many teams running the 3-4 defense, you need big/long/athletic DEís and Odrick fits the bill. He knows how to use his hands to stack blockers and has the lower base to hold the POA (point of attack). He also flashed some pass rush ability this week. I have heard him compared to a young Aaron Smith and he reminds me of Rams DE Adam Carriker. In a draft loaded at DL, he could be a nice value in the late 1st or early 2nd.

* Boise State CB Kyle Wilson 5100 190- He was best in show at the corner position. He is extremely strong in press coverage and has outstanding quickness to recover and the burst to close. He came into the week with a lot of teams viewing him as a nickel/returner but left the week as a solid #2 corner candidate. If he runs well, he should climb into the 1st round.

* Virginia CB Chris Cook 6016 212- Ideal size for the position. Big, athletic CBís are few and far between. He struggled a little bit early but he became more comfortable every day during the week. He is much better in press coverage where he can use his length to re-route off the line and has the deep speed to carry vertical routes. As with most CBís, his 40 time will determine how high he can climb but he is at worst a 2nd round guy at the moment.

* Oklahoma St CB Perrish Cox 5112 189- He was tough to get a read on early in the week. No big plays but no blood on his hands either. He stood out in team periods toward the later part of the week. You can see his instincts in zone coverage and his ability to play the ball in the air. He has a nice blend of size/speed/instincts. I have yet to study him on tape to know where he stood coming into the week but I know he didnít hurt himself.

* Ole Miss WR Dexter McCluster 5081 165- He is tiny ball of dynamite. He made plays every day and was outstanding in 1-1 periods. I love him in the slot. CBís failed to get a glove on him and his quickness/burst create a ton of separation on those option routes. He will stick his face in the fan in pass pro but lacks the girth to hold up in that role at the next level. Excellent luxury pick in the 2nd round. Explosive little joker!

* Florida WR Riley Cooper 6034 214- He had a few drops this week but he made up for them with a few special catches (including a one-handed stab on the sideline). He was much quicker than most scouts thought from fall tape. He has outstanding size and showed the ability to drop his weight and efficiently get out of his break. He reminds me a lot of Packers WR Jordy Nelson. The thing I love about him is the ability to play tall ball over defenders by attacking it at the highest point. 2nd-3rd round type player right now.

* Citadel WR Andre Roberts 5106 192- Love to see the small school players that arenít intimidated by the bigger stage. He was very polished all week long. He got the best of highly touted FSU CB Patrick Robinson on a few occasions. I havenít studied him on tape but he looks physically similar to Greg Jennings off a limited exposure. Lots of buzz on this kid.

* Mississippi State RB Anthony Dixon 6006 245- He was the best of an average RB group this year. He has rare size for the position and showed nimble feet to and through the hole. I would like to see him lower his pads a little bit more because he presents a large target to defenders. Most teams view him as a 3rd/4th round pick right now.

There were several other players that held their water throughout the week but these are the prospects that jumped out at me. You can tell that it was a very good DL group. I thought the OL talent was way down this year. Iupati was the one true standout. I thought the CBs were very good. Thereís a lot of depth at the position. I didnít mention any safeties because it is the hardest position to gauge during the practice week. Todayís game will be huge for them. Keep an eye on the special teams portion of the game. Scouts always like to gauge how aggressive/competitive these guys are in the coverage game. Most of these players havenít covered a kick in 2-3 years and that is something that they will be required to do early in their NFL careers.

SoCalBronco
01-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Riley Cooper is a very nice prospect. I'm surprised the guy didn't mention Jimmy Graham as a sleeper.

Bigdawg26
01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
I love Brandon Graham opposite of Doom. That would make for a great pass rush!

gyldenlove
01-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Jared Odrick, dude is going to be a stud at the DE position, in my eyes he is a better prospect than Tyson Jackson and available a lot later than number 3 overall.

gunns
01-30-2010, 01:29 PM
I love Brandon Graham opposite of Doom. That would make for a great pass rush!

Yes it would. He was too quick for Iupati when they put him at OT.

tsiguy96
01-30-2010, 01:38 PM
i hope we trade marshall for iupati and one of the stud dlineman in the 1st

TheDave
01-30-2010, 01:41 PM
i hope we trade marshall for iupati and one of the stud dlineman in the 1st

Yeah... were not getting 2 #1's for him.

iupati will be go in the top 15 to 20.

tsiguy96
01-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Yeah... were not getting 2 #1's for him.

iupati will be go in the top 15 to 20.

i meant with our pick and a #1 for marshall. those would be our two first rounders total.

iupati and graham out of michigan. i guess hes absolutely tearing it up at senior bowl right now.

gyldenlove
01-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Iupati didn't blow me away in the game, he is a real holder and gets his hands outside the frame on every single play, he needs some serious coaching to get his technique up to speed, but physically he is dominant.

Graham is a monster.

None of the QBs really impressed me, it looks like a tale of 2 QBs this year, Bradford and Clausen.

BroncoMan4ever
01-30-2010, 05:56 PM
i'd love to get Anthony Dixon in the middle rounds. big strong back to pair with Moreno for at least the next few seasons, also a good strong Goal line back.

OCBronco
01-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Graham looked awesome throughout the game. I also liked what I saw out of Zach Robinson... looks like he would fit our offense pretty well.

On the other hand, Tebow looked awful. There were a couple plays where he looked like he could make a play with the screen game, but whenever he had to drop back and read the field, he looked completely lost out there.

KipCorrington25
01-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Alton Montgomery wowed them!

PRBronco
01-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Graham has a hell of a motor, but I think his short arms will keep him from turning into a player as good as Doom or Woodley.

gyldenlove
01-31-2010, 12:22 AM
Graham has a hell of a motor, but I think his short arms will keep him from turning into a player as good as Doom or Woodley.

I think that depends how you play him, on the LOLB he could be good I think, RTs should have a lot of a problems with his quickness and his arm length won't be as much of a detriment. He uses his hands very effectively and is good at winning the hand to hand combat and not letting the tackle get his hands on his body.

titan
02-01-2010, 01:34 PM
more from movethesticks:

"I'm looking at more Tennesse defensive tape... 3-4 teams are going to love Dan Williams. More range than I first thought, top 20 pick"

PRBronco
02-01-2010, 01:38 PM
more from movethesticks:

"I'm looking at more Tennesse defensive tape... 3-4 teams are going to love Dan Williams. More range than I first thought, top 20 pick"

As of right now I wouldn't have a problem with them taking at 11.

What did everyone think of Cam Thomas from North Carolina? Looked like a pretty good mid round nose tackle prospect.

cmhargrove
02-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Iupati didn't kiss me, and tell me that you love me away in the game, he is a real holder and gets his hands outside the frame on every single play, he needs some serious coaching to get his technique up to speed, but physically he is dominant.

Graham is a monster.

None of the QBs really impressed me, it looks like a tale of 2 QBs this year, Bradford and Clausen.

I'm with you on Iupati. They should have never put him at RG, he looked totally lost there. However, when he was switched back to LG, he looked like a really good player. You can just bury all of the talk about switching him to Tackle, that would be a nightmare for about 2 seasons (if he ever properly learned the position).

If we take him as a LG, and put him at LG, I will be happy. However, I don't think he's such a great value with our first round pick. I think there are plenty of good guards (over 310 lbs) available in rounds 2-4.

Who knows, maybe Olsen will be ready to compete for a spot this year?

gyldenlove
02-01-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm with you on Iupati. They should have never put him at RG, he looked totally lost there. However, when he was switched back to LG, he looked like a really good player. You can just bury all of the talk about switching him to Tackle, that would be a nightmare for about 2 seasons (if he ever properly learned the position).

If we take him as a LG, and put him at LG, I will be happy. However, I don't think he's such a great value with our first round pick. I think there are plenty of good guards (over 310 lbs) available in rounds 2-4.

Who knows, maybe Olsen will be ready to compete for a spot this year?

I have pretty big hopes for Olsen, he is a naturally big man who could play at 315 lbs withouth any problems. I am not sure guard wise what we do, but I could see a constellation with Olsen at LG and Kuper at RG. We would still need to add depth at OG and I would think we are looking for a center, Eric Olsen would be a good choice, we could name them the Olsen twins.