PDA

View Full Version : Martindale and the Rex/Rob Ryan Connection

OCBronco
01-30-2010, 02:27 AM
Thought this was interesting. I had forgotten that Martindale had coached under both Rex and Rob. Sounds like he's cut from the same cloth.

Broncos' Martindale, Ryan linked
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. Don Martindale notified the hostess he and his son would be ready for a table, just as soon as his good friend and mentor joined him.
A minute or two later, Rex Ryan stepped up to the Pro Bowl hotel restaurant, ready for lunch. By the looks of them, Martindale and Ryan weren't going to be ordering watercress salads.
Was Ryan, who is now head coach of the defensive-oriented New York Jets, surprised that Martindale was promoted to his first NFL defensive coordinator gig by the Broncos?
"No," Ryan said. "He's not a first-year guy. He's been with the Ryan family forever."
"I've been with the Ryans for about 12 years," Martindale said. "It's that type of mentality, get guys playing hard. Schematically, you don't tip what you're going to do. But mostly, I know our guys are going to play hard, and we're going to be fun to watch."
If the Mannings Archie, Peyton and Eli are the first family of quarterbacks, the Ryans Buddy, Rex and Rob are the most prominent tribe of NFL defenses.
Martindale is part of the Ryan family. He may work directly for Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels now, but much of his defensive coaching education came from the Ryans. Martindale was part of Rex Ryan's defensive staff at the University of Cincinnati in 1996-97 and coached linebackers for Rob Ryan with the Oakland Raiders from 2004-08.
"Wink's going to be great, no question," Ryan said. "I told him he can finish second in the league."
The numbers say Ryan is the best defensive coach around. His Jets ranked No. 1 in total defense this past season, while his previous team, the Baltimore Ravens, ranked No. 2 in 2008.
The Broncos were No. 1 through six games in 2009 with Mike Nolan as defensive coordinator and Martindale as linebackers coach. But the Broncos' defensive performance fell precipitously in the final 10 games.
Showing he already has one vital characteristic of becoming a quality defensive coordinator, Martindale doesn't pretend to know more than anyone else.
"It's hard to pinpoint one thing," said Martindale, who is here at the Pro Bowl as a guest of the prominent linebacker he coached this year, Elvis Dumervil. "If I had all the answers, we wouldn't have had that problem. I think it was the accumulation of things as a team. Just coming together, and staying together and working in unison. We saw that formula works. We saw that in the beginning of the year."
In the 3-4 defensive system, Ryan and Martindale trust. And yes, Martindale knows how to scheme the famed "46" defense devised by Buddy, the Ryan patriarch, in the mid- 1980s with the Chicago Bears.
"Mike used to always give me guff. Every time we'd go into a game, he'd say, 'OK, Rex,' " Martindale said.
Mike Nolan is another common link between Rex Ryan and Martindale. Nolan was the Baltimore Ravens' defensive coordinator until he left in 2005 to become head coach in San Francisco. His job in Baltimore was filled by Ryan.
Nolan returned to Denver and the defensive coordinator position in 2009, until he left two weeks ago to take the same position with the Miami Dolphins. His job with the Broncos was filled by Martindale.
Oftentimes, an awkward strain can develop in a relationship when an underling succeeds his boss. Not so between Nolan and Martindale.
"He called and congratulated me," Martindale said. "I told him I was glad he left so I could take his job."
Martindale smiled. It sounded like something Rex Ryan would say.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14298690

The Joker
01-30-2010, 05:29 AM
http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/Smileys/Lots_O_Smileys/wanknk2.gif

nickademus
01-30-2010, 07:55 AM
well I love the style the ryan's have employed all these years and if martindale can bring that It will be fun to watch!

Rohirrim
01-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Damn! I'll drink to that. Would I love to see a kick ass defense, with that Ryan attitude, in Denver.

Inkana7
01-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Good article.

DivineLegion
01-30-2010, 10:17 AM
"I told him I was glad he left so I could take his job."

lol

HEAV
01-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Now we just need to get some front-line talent!

gunns
01-30-2010, 11:54 AM
I love it! The Ryan's D's have always been respectable and some great. Even Rob in Oakland made them decent. I couldn't ask for more, except maybe some top notch D men in the off season.

The MVPlaya
01-30-2010, 06:57 PM
lol I'm surprised this hasn't received more posts... but I guess positive posts on the mane don't.

sisterhellfyre
01-30-2010, 09:23 PM
lol I'm surprised this hasn't received more posts... but I guess positive posts on the mane don't.

You're right, MVP, but that isn't just a McDaniels thing. Nobody believes the good news posts or positive coaches' comments any more because we've heard it all too many times, especially in Shanahan's last four years. Every year it was "We're going to play aggressive defense," "We're turning the dogs loose to just play," or "<Insert player name here> is looking really good and will take his game (the offense, the defense, the whole team) to the next level." The Broncos were always one player away, just that one missing piece of the puzzle, and every year the coaching staff and sportswriters filled in the blank.

Lenny Walls. Willie Middlebrooks. Darius Watts. Quentin Griffin (that one I really fell for). Courtney whatsisname, the Browncos. Daryl Gardener. Niko Koutouvides. Dale Carter. Even all the way down to Paul Toviessi, who never even got as far as playing in training camp because of injuries in college. Not to mention the revolving door of unsafe-at-any-speed safeties. I think we all just got tired of it: tired, cynical, frustrated, and finally pissed off, to the point that we don't believe it any more.

And that's where Martindale (and McDaniels, by extension) has to prove it on the field.

Swedish Extrovert
01-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Well they have one thing in common - their waistline.

Bigdawg26
01-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Not to mention the revolving door of unsafe-at-any-speed safeties.
O you mean Sam Brandon, Izell Reese, Nick "Train Wreck" Ferguson, Curome Cox and Kennoy Kennedy lol. Yeah but your absolutely 100% right though. I'm tired of horrible drafts. We only had one good draft in about 10 years! It's time for McDaniels, Xavier Sanders (the GM who is not really mentioned on this board), and Martindale to get it right!

maher_tyler
01-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Until we get some real talent on the D line..it won't really matter who the D coordinator is..if we traded up and got Suh some how..i wouldn't be disappointed in the least.

gunns
01-30-2010, 10:47 PM
You're right, MVP, but that isn't just a McDaniels thing. Nobody believes the good news posts or positive coaches' comments any more because we've heard it all too many times, especially in Shanahan's last four years. Every year it was "We're going to play aggressive defense," "We're turning the dogs loose to just play," or "<Insert player name here> is looking really good and will take his game (the offense, the defense, the whole team) to the next level." The Broncos were always one player away, just that one missing piece of the puzzle, and every year the coaching staff and sportswriters filled in the blank.

Lenny Walls. Willie Middlebrooks. Darius Watts. Quentin Griffin (that one I really fell for). Courtney whatsisname, the Browncos. Daryl Gardener. Niko Koutouvides. Dale Carter. Even all the way down to Paul Toviessi, who never even got as far as playing in training camp because of injuries in college. Not to mention the revolving door of unsafe-at-any-speed safeties. I think we all just got tired of it: tired, cynical, frustrated, and finally pissed off, to the point that we don't believe it any more.

And that's where Martindale (and McDaniels, by extension) has to prove it on the field.

Excellent post....exactly where I'm at.

KipCorrington25
01-30-2010, 10:52 PM
It's sad this is out only hope to be optimistic, ohhh, we have a link to Rex Ryan!!!! OMFG!!!!!