PDA

View Full Version : Accounting/ tax question/help


phillybroncosnut
01-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Okay, so I need an answer to this... Is "mortgage deviation" a write off when filing taxes?
I pay $1850 in child support, $750 in spousal support, and $355 for mortgage deviation per month. I know for a fact that child support is NOT a write off, and spousal support I can write off but I need to know if the mortgage dev is or isnt a write off...

Any help would be great

RhymesayersDU
01-29-2010, 06:16 PM
I might be able to help, but what exactly is a mortgage deviation? Like, what are you paying for exactly?

Just off the top of my head, if any of it goes to mortgage interest then that'd be deductible, but again I've never even heard of this term.

phillybroncosnut
01-29-2010, 06:21 PM
I might be able to help, but what exactly is a mortgage deviation? Like, what are you paying for exactly?

Just off the top of my head, if any of it goes to mortgage interest then that'd be deductible, but again I've never even heard of this term.

It might be a state by state thing. I'm not 100% sure what it exactly means and I'm not sure if it goes to the principle or taxes. Its more or less a contribution to the mortgage.
If I cant get a straight up answer, I'm just gonna write off the $4200 for the year.
I think its a total sham that a woman does not have to declare the child support as income and I can't write it off. I never touch that money yet I get penalized twice on taxes on it.

RhymesayersDU
01-29-2010, 06:25 PM
So I googled the term, and a lot of the stuff that came up was specific to Pennsylvania. It sounds like this might be a PA thing.

Either way, I would really not write that off. Especially since it sounds like you won't be getting a 1098 from the mortgage company. I mean try it if you must, but it sounds like you're asking for an audit... Although on the other hand $4,200 might not be worth the IRS's time.

phillybroncosnut
01-29-2010, 06:36 PM
So I googled the term, and a lot of the stuff that came up was specific to Pennsylvania. It sounds like this might be a PA thing.

Either way, I would really not write that off. Especially since it sounds like you won't be getting a 1098 from the mortgage company. I mean try it if you must, but it sounds like you're asking for an audit... Although on the other hand $4,200 might not be worth the IRS's time.

I was just gonna say the same thing bro. I googled it and it only looks like a PA thing. Lucky me.
Anyway, If its to the mortgage, Can one just play stupid and say it goes to taxes? I'm trying to cut everything off my income as I can. I already have to keep almost $22k on my income that I dont even get to sniff (Child support). I get to write off $9k for the spousal support. Do you think $4200 will send up a red flag??
Are you an accountant?

RhymesayersDU
01-29-2010, 06:55 PM
I was just gonna say the same thing bro. I googled it and it only looks like a PA thing. Lucky me.
Anyway, If its to the mortgage, Can one just play stupid and say it goes to taxes? I'm trying to cut everything off my income as I can. I already have to keep almost $22k on my income that I dont even get to sniff (Child support). I get to write off $9k for the spousal support. Do you think $4200 will send up a red flag??
Are you an accountant?

Yeah I'm a tax accountant. Not a CPA, still studying for that, but I do taxes for a living, yes.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you to knowingly cheat on your taxes. With that said, considering the millions of people in this country, who knows if you'd be caught. For instance, the IRS announced that they were aiming to answer 70% of the calls they get for tax questions. 70%! That's ridiculous. What are the other 30% supposed to do? Point being, they're obviously understaffed.

I guess the worst thing that would happen is that they'd send you a letter and you'd have to amend your return, pay the tax and probably a penalty. It's not something I'd recommend, but it's your return.

TheChamp24
01-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Yeah I'm a tax accountant. Not a CPA, still studying for that, but I do taxes for a living, yes.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you to knowingly cheat on your taxes. With that said, considering the millions of people in this country, who knows if you'd be caught. For instance, the IRS announced that they were aiming to answer 70% of the calls they get for tax questions. 70%! That's ridiculous. What are the other 30% supposed to do? Point being, they're obviously understaffed.

I guess the worst thing that would happen is that they'd send you a letter and you'd have to amend your return, pay the tax and probably a penalty. It's not something I'd recommend, but it's your return.

Funny thing is, they are understaffed, yet the budget doesn't exactly entail them to hire more people at the moment. I know this because I interviewed for a position in Houston in July, and was told in August that I basically "passed", yet the budget for new hires was cut off and I'd have to wait til next year to see if there would be any openings.

As for not liking child support isn't deductible, well buddy that money is gone to be used for a dependent. It would be like a married couple with a child being able to deduct all the expenses occurred over the year of feeding the child, all the new clothes they bought as well as any new toys or whatever. There is a child tax credit, but child support is for basically helping feed, cloth and take care of a child, thus the expenses incurred by this are for general living and not deductible. But good lord, $22,000 a year in child support? What the heck do you do?

RhymesayersDU
01-29-2010, 07:44 PM
As for not liking child support isn't deductible, well buddy that money is gone to be used for a dependent. It would be like a married couple with a child being able to deduct all the expenses occurred over the year of feeding the child, all the new clothes they bought as well as any new toys or whatever. There is a child tax credit, but child support is for basically helping feed, cloth and take care of a child, thus the expenses incurred by this are for general living and not deductible. But good lord, $22,000 a year in child support? What the heck do you do?

Yeah I wasn't going to get into this, but this McFoneco is right. If you and your wife were still together, you'd be spending that money on the kid anyways and it still wouldn't be deductible. I'm unsure what your major beef is with that, unless the ex is running off with it and doing other things.

Br0nc0Buster
01-29-2010, 08:41 PM
I dont know what "morgtage deviation" is, sorry
But it sounds similar to property settlement

I wouldnt write it off because property settlement is not deductible

Granted the IRS I think only audits 1% of returns, but if you are just asking based on if the tax code allows it, I would definitely lean towards No

phillybroncosnut
01-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Funny thing is, they are understaffed, yet the budget doesn't exactly entail them to hire more people at the moment. I know this because I interviewed for a position in Houston in July, and was told in August that I basically "passed", yet the budget for new hires was cut off and I'd have to wait til next year to see if there would be any openings.

As for not liking child support isn't deductible, well buddy that money is gone to be used for a dependent. It would be like a married couple with a child being able to deduct all the expenses occurred over the year of feeding the child, all the new clothes they bought as well as any new toys or whatever. There is a child tax credit, but child support is for basically helping feed, cloth and take care of a child, thus the expenses incurred by this are for general living and not deductible. But good lord, $22,000 a year in child support? What the heck do you do?

I guess what you say in your second paragraph is correct... I just have a hard time knowing that she claims both kids as dependants, and she gets $22k a year tax free while I'm stuck footing the bill. the biggest problem I have is that she gets all this money, has a millionaire father who is paying everything and she is routinely 5 months behind on the mortgage while my credit suffers and there isnt chit I can do about it.
Maybe I'm just trying to get back at a system that I feel has raped my arse.... I lived with both my kids for 5 years before the seperation and I know for a fact that they dont cost $22k a year.
I'll take the risk.

BTW, I make tools for a living.... believe it or not... I'm just that good. Not trying to brag. I went from starting out at $6 an hr 15 years ago and now make in the 6 figures.....

SouthStndJunkie
01-30-2010, 01:27 AM
I pay $1850 in child support, $750 in spousal support

Ouch!

Hope you at least got some lube for that ****ing.