PDA

View Full Version : Saints DE fined $20,000 for hit on Favre

Sassy
01-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Source: Saints DE fined $20,000 for hit on Favre

FoxSports

The New Orleans Saints are going to the Super Bowl, but defensive end Bobby McCray is going to pay for the hit that helped his team get there.

The New Orleans Saints are going to the Super Bowl, but defensive end Bobby McCray is going to pay for the hit that helped his team get there.

A source told FOXSports.com that McCray was fined $20,000 for a low blow on quarterback Brett Favre in last Sunday's 31-28 overtime victory over Minnesota.

McCray struck Favre around the legs while defensive tackle Remi Ayodele plowed into the quarterback's upper body. The third-quarter play, which the NFL admits should have drawn a penalty, gave Favre a sprained ankle that hampered him for the rest of the NFC Championship game.

A six-year NFL veteran, McCray played off the bench for New Orleans throughout this season.

mhgaffney
01-29-2010, 05:48 PM
I saw that hit -- and wondered why the guy was not ejected from the game.

This is why I won't be picking a favorite in the SB this year.

Which is a mouthful --since I hate Manning.

Sassy
01-29-2010, 06:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4wIXmPnOcg&feature=related

Cito Pelon
01-31-2010, 07:36 AM
NO was sure looking to put Favre out of the game. McCray put the crown of his helmet to Favre's chin away from the play earlier in the game on a reverse.

Those kind of hits on a QB were supposed to be a thing of the past.

Merlin
01-31-2010, 07:43 AM
McCray put the crown of his helmet to Favre's chin away from the play earlier in the game on a reverse.
Is that the play he went out to block? There is a price for that play. I was surprised there was no penalty for the low hit, although they gave a NO's player a personal foul for a fairly weak play before that (I wonder if the refs were trying to compensate for the poor call before).

Cito Pelon
01-31-2010, 08:31 AM
Is that the play he went out to block? There is a price for that play. I was surprised there was no penalty for the low hit, although they gave a NO's player a personal foul for a fairly weak play before that (I wonder if the refs were trying to compensate for the poor call before).

The play I was referring to was a reverse going to the left of the offense, Favre had handed the ball off and was jogging to the right, the ball-carrier was about 12-15 yards away from Favre and running the opposite direction, McCray gave Favre a shot right on the chinstrap.

Now, sure, Favre is still live game and should have looked to protect himself, but it was kind of a cheap shot by McCray. Much like the shot Warner took on the INT return the week before.

I guess there's a fine line between when a QB can be hammered and when he can't in today's NFL.

There was also the NO hit on Favre after he threw and the NO guy speared Favre in the chest as he drove him into the ground. IMO, NO was actively looking for ways to put Favre out of the game. Head-hunting so to speak.