PDA

View Full Version : Question for Eddie Mac or any salary cap-knowledgable poster

montrose
01-28-2010, 11:35 PM
If we go uncapped next year as expected, are there any ramifications now or in the future for cutting players? If not, which would seem to make sense to me, what are some bloated salaries we might look to dump? Simms quickly comes to mind, as do Jordan, Moss and Stokley. One interesting guy would be Graham. A McD guy for sure whose a well respected locker room leader and good player on the field but I'm wondering if that value adds up to his rather large salary, especially with Quinn in the fold as the heir apparent. Can you restructure contracts in an uncapped year? Many thanks in advance.

TheReverend
01-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Herc is also very qualified to answer this. We take the two of them for granted far too often.

BroncoMan4ever
01-29-2010, 12:07 AM
Herc is also very qualified to answer this. We take the two of them for granted far too often.

Rev, who is the girl with the hot ass in your Avatar?

if it is a wife or girlfriend or anything like that I apologize.

SureShot
01-29-2010, 12:09 AM

Why do you need to apologize?

24champ
01-29-2010, 12:15 AM

I like your entertainment system in your avatar. Top Notch. :thumbs:

SoCalBronco
01-29-2010, 12:18 AM

Very true.

TheReverend
01-29-2010, 12:22 AM

No, not this time. I don't mind posting pictures of them or PMing the occasional... well, but I wouldn't use one as an avy. Anyways, this is an awesome .gif that just isn't working in the avatar display.

BroncoMan4ever
01-29-2010, 12:30 AM
Why do you need to apologize?

i just figured if it was like a wife or girlfriend or god forbid daughter, better to make sure he knew i meant no disrespect in talking about the insanely hot ass in his avatar. never know, he could have that mall guy mentallity of being a prick when they catch you looking at their girl.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-29-2010, 12:41 AM
No ramifications to cut players, but unless multiple teams start to purge their dead weight, I really don't know why the Broncos should try to either. Obviously it'll save money, but there really doesn't look like there's much out there in FA to replace those cuts with, even Simms.

You can restructure, but there are limits placed on how much base salaries can increase from one year to the next. I think it's 30%. IIRC, the example always given was a $1M base salary, it could only increase $300k each season over the life of the contract. Honestly it's been so long since I've followed the cap stuff closely, I'm not much of a help at this point. EM would be the one to ask.

eddie mac
01-29-2010, 07:35 AM
No ramifications to cut players, but unless multiple teams start to purge their dead weight, I really don't know why the Broncos should try to either. Obviously it'll save money, but there really doesn't look like there's much out there in FA to replace those cuts with, even Simms.

You can restructure, but there are limits placed on how much base salaries can increase from one year to the next. I think it's 30%. IIRC, the example always given was a $1M base salary, it could only increase $300k each season over the life of the contract. Honestly it's been so long since I've followed the cap stuff closely, I'm not much of a help at this point. EM would be the one to ask.

You're spot on Herc. It's a clean your house year for every team that wants to dump contracts. I'm not 100% on the restructuring though albeit I dont see too many teams doing that TBH unless they have major cash issues this year and want to push cash back or indeed they envisage a much smaller cap in 2011/12 being agreed and want to bring money forward to be more competitive the following season.

The biggest winners in all this will be the likes of the Chiefs and Bucs not having to meet cap quotas and the better teams already stockpiled with talent not having to lose many. Whilst you look at Denver you may think it's good because the likes of Marshall, Kuper, Doom, Orton and Scheff cannot walk, neither can other teams young talent so if you're still in a rebuilding mode it's trade or draft, free agency will be a basic non-entity this year.

gyldenlove
01-29-2010, 09:43 AM
You're spot on Herc. It's a clean your house year for every team that wants to dump contracts. I'm not 100% on the restructuring though albeit I dont see too many teams doing that TBH unless they have major cash issues this year and want to push cash back or indeed they envisage a much smaller cap in 2011/12 being agreed and want to bring money forward to be more competitive the following season.

The biggest winners in all this will be the likes of the Chiefs and Bucs not having to meet cap quotas and the better teams already stockpiled with talent not having to lose many. Whilst you look at Denver you may think it's good because the likes of Marshall, Kuper, Doom, Orton and Scheff cannot walk, neither can other teams young talent so if you're still in a rebuilding mode it's trade or draft, free agency will be a basic non-entity this year.

Absolutely true, you can cut players without any ramification which will happen to a few players who signed over the top deals and may also happen to a few top 10 draft busts, potentially Vernon Gholston could be cut for example, a guy like Levi Brown from Arizona could also be gone.

The 30% increase is going to keep renegotiations down since it prevents those highly escalated salaries at the end of a contract, however a dude like Champ Bailey is still a prime candidate since his base salary for 2009 was so high that a decent contract can be put together anyway for the purpose of lowering his cap number if and when the cap returns (depends how long that will be and how long we want to keep him around obviously).

There is not going to be any wholesale purging going on since that would devaluate the brand of the franchise that makes such a move, but a few teams could walk away from stupid contracts or underperfoming aging players such as TJ Houshmanzadeh, Marc Bulger, Tomlinson, Roy Williams and a bunch of linemen.

What we will see this year is that in March there will be people cut who have significant roster bonuses, but I expect that Free agency in March will focus very heavily on restricted free agents and then in the preseason there will be a bevy of veterans who are due to make high salaries who are at risk to get cut, so I expect quite a lot of free agent activity during the preseason.

montrose
01-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks EM and Herc!

eddie mac
01-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Absolutely true, you can cut players without any ramification which will happen to a few players who signed over the top deals and may also happen to a few top 10 draft busts, potentially Vernon Gholston could be cut for example, a guy like Levi Brown from Arizona could also be gone.

The 30% increase is going to keep renegotiations down since it prevents those highly escalated salaries at the end of a contract, however a dude like Champ Bailey is still a prime candidate since his base salary for 2009 was so high that a decent contract can be put together anyway for the purpose of lowering his cap number if and when the cap returns (depends how long that will be and how long we want to keep him around obviously).

There is not going to be any wholesale purging going on since that would devaluate the brand of the franchise that makes such a move, but a few teams could walk away from stupid contracts or underperfoming aging players such as TJ Houshmanzadeh, Marc Bulger, Tomlinson, Roy Williams and a bunch of linemen.

What we will see this year is that in March there will be people cut who have significant roster bonuses, but I expect that Free agency in March will focus very heavily on restricted free agents and then in the preseason there will be a bevy of veterans who are due to make high salaries who are at risk to get cut, so I expect quite a lot of free agent activity during the preseason.

Yeah RFA will be a lot of cat and mouse with some teams tendering players they actually want to deal but using that as a starting point for negotiations, i.e Tony Scheffler. I think the Broncos will draft tag him the low tender because he was a 2nd rd pick but the most we'll get will be a 3rd or 4th.

Drek
01-30-2010, 02:44 AM
Yeah RFA will be a lot of cat and mouse with some teams tendering players they actually want to deal but using that as a starting point for negotiations, i.e Tony Scheffler. I think the Broncos will draft tag him the low tender because he was a 2nd rd pick but the most we'll get will be a 3rd or 4th.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did basically that with Kuper. Give him the 1st round tender and then when Shanahan comes a knockin' trade him for the 'Skins 2nd rounder.

I'd prefer to keep him myself, but if he doesn't want an extension here and would prefer Washington it is what it is.