PDA

View Full Version : Saints out to hit Manning... whatever the cost

That One Guy
01-28-2010, 07:56 PM
"This guy's got a great clock in his head," Williams told 104.5 The Zone, via ESPN.com. "The big thing is that he throws the ball so early that we're going to have to do a good job of finding ways to get to him and when we do get to him we're going to have to make sure he gets a couple 'remember me' shots when we get there."

The Saints applied several "remember me" shots to Favre on Sunday, prompting many a Vikings fan to utter a phrase that for broadcast television purposes would be edited to sound like "forget you." One such hit to Favre's legs didn't draw a flag, even though NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira admitted last night that a roughing the passer penalty should have been called.

And Williams won't be reeling in his troops for the Super Bowl. Instead, it sounds like he's willing to risk a few 15-yard walk-offs if it means that Manning eventually will be carted off the field.

"When you put too much of that type of worry on a warrior's mind, he doesn't play all out," Williams said. "If it happens, it happens. And the only thing you'd like for me to say is that if it happens you hope he doesn't get back up and play again."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/28/gregg-williams-suggests-the-saints-want-to-injure-manning/

I've often wondered when this time will come. If you can take 15 yds or an ejection even to take someone like Manning out of a SB... would it be worth it? There was no denying (for anyone who watched the last game) that the Saints were in the mindset of capitalizing on any hits they could get on Favre - even if they were borderline.

Shall be interesting to see...

gtown
01-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Just don't hit Manning's pretty face. The guy can't make ends meet without all the commercial money.

maher_tyler
01-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Hope the Colts to the same to Brees then!! If the Saints do it to Manning..i'd tell my players to take out Brees...whatever the cost!! Almost sounds like they will be taking cheap shots at Manning!! Makes you wonder if the Saints trust their D to get any stops if they gotta take cheap shots at Manning to get him knocked outta the game!!

Circle Orange
01-28-2010, 08:04 PM
His melon head would explode, making a mess.

My theory stands correct about the shots...I was pretty suspicious of all those hits on gramps during the game. It was painfully clear the Saints coaches weren't overly upset at some of the walkoffs.

A major injury of note: Dwight Freeney has a busted wheel...hi, mid, and low ankle sprain. BAD for a speed rusher.

A pity about Pay-a-Ton. I look for him to go down like an oak tree.

That One Guy
01-28-2010, 08:11 PM
I don't know what I think, really...

Is it better for the players to be able to claim themselves as SB champs even if they have to sacrifice some dignity to do it? How far has the 'it's how you play the game' addage been forgotten?

On the other hand, for years we've been talking about the way to win is to rattle Peyton. It's not always the sacks but the hits and hurries. We're all of the same mindset but maybe most just don't like to say it like it is? Everyone wants to pretend they'd like to see him get up but secretly doesn't? Or just doesn't want him at 100%?

oubronco
01-28-2010, 08:12 PM
"This guy's got a great clock in his head," Williams told 104.5 The Zone, via ESPN.com. "The big thing is that he throws the ball so early that we're going to have to do a good job of finding ways to get to him and when we do get to him we're going to have to make sure he gets a couple 'remember me' shots when we get there."

The Saints applied several "remember me" shots to Favre on Sunday, prompting many a Vikings fan to utter a phrase that for broadcast television purposes would be edited to sound like "forget you." One such hit to Favre's legs didn't draw a flag, even though NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira admitted last night that a roughing the passer penalty should have been called.
And Williams won't be reeling in his troops for the Super Bowl. Instead, it sounds like he's willing to risk a few 15-yard walk-offs if it means that Manning eventually will be carted off the field.

"When you put too much of that type of worry on a warrior's mind, he doesn't play all out," Williams said. "If it happens, it happens. And the only thing you'd like for me to say is that if it happens you hope he doesn't get back up and play again."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/28/gregg-williams-suggests-the-saints-want-to-injure-manning/

I've often wondered when this time will come. If you can take 15 yds or an ejection even to take someone like Manning out of a SB... would it be worth it? There was no denying (for anyone who watched the last game) that the Saints were in the mindset of capitalizing on any hits they could get on Favre - even if they were borderline.

Thus the league is preparing to help their poster boy out

I hope the Saints knock his ass out

Who Dat Who Dhere

Bigdawg26
01-28-2010, 08:35 PM
News flash!!! Every defense wants to hit the quarterback, it's whether or not you can get to him. I'm pretty sure the saints aren't the only team that tried that (i.e. THE NEW YORK JETS). That plan worked for one half but the only problem is that the jets did not have the fire power to keep up with the colts. The problem that the colts present and shanny has been a big victim of this is that Peyton Manning intimidates teams. Defenses change their whole strategy by changing their looks, trying to listen to his calls, and just blitzing the him trying to take him out. Also, offenses try the keep him off the field by just running the ball and running the ball. The problem with that is Peyton Manning has seen it all and will gut you like a fish because defenses are out thinking themselves and offenses don't have the fire power to keep up with him. I think the saints pose a threat to the colts because their better in out scoring teams than the colts. The saints defense is very opportunistic. They have three very good cover coners in Jabari Greer, Tracy Porter, and Randall Gay that make interceptions (Jabari Greer is one of the best coners in the league he has shut steve smith, roddy white, calvin johnson, and to down during the season and has made sidney rice and larry fitzgerald non factors in the playoffs). If the saints blitz peyton and beat him up like they did the NFL GOLDEN BOYS Kurt Warner and Lord Favre, and keep running up the score they have a good chance to win!

That One Guy
01-28-2010, 08:41 PM
News flash!!! Every defense wants to hit the quarterback, it's whether or not you can get to him. I'm pretty sure the saints aren't the only team that tried that (i.e. THE NEW YORK JETS). That plan worked for one half but the only problem is that the jets did not have the fire power to keep up with the colts. The problem that the colts present and shanny has been a big victim of this is that Peyton Manning intimidates teams. Defenses change their whole strategy by changing their looks, trying to listen to his calls, and just blitzing the him trying to take him out. Also, offenses try the keep him off the field by just running the ball and running the ball. The problem with that is Peyton Manning has seen it all and will gut you like a fish because defenses are out thinking themselves and offenses don't have the fire power to keep up with him. I think the saints pose a threat to the colts because their better in out scoring teams than the colts. The saints defense is very opportunistic. They have three very good cover coners in Jabari Greer, Tracy Porter, and Randall Gay that make interceptions (Jabari Greer is one of the best coners in the league he has shut steve smith, roddy white, calvin johnson, and to down during the season and has made sidney rice and larry fitzgerald non factors in the playoffs). If the saints blitz peyton and beat him up like they did the NFL GOLDEN BOYS Kurt Warner and Lord Favre, and keep running up the score they have a good chance to win!

Very good post soiled by an attempt at sarcasm in the beginning. The surprising part of this story was that the Saints were openly saying they'll take some risks to hit Manning. Now what happens if Manning gets knocked out of the game on a cheap shot? You could potentially have a comparable story to the old bounty talk. The NFL could respond VERY harshly... especially since it's their posterboy. If it turns the game into an ugly one and ratings fall because of it... it could truly have huge consequences.

Usually everyone just keeps their mouth shut for deniability purposes. Here the DC opened his mouth and let his intentions be known... this isn't an every week occurance.

gunns
01-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Most of that was the writers opinion. What Williams will try to do is rattle Manning, get in his face. And that's exactly what should be done. I remember us doing it to Brady in the playoff game and although he had a good game (in the 3rd quarter), it worked. The travesty I see in this whole subject is the overall protection by the league of the QB and in particular, Manning, Favre, and Brady. It's gotten sickening. I didn't see anything wrong with the ANY of the sacks on Favre last Sunday and the proof was he was not hurt. Any pain he experienced was from a game that can cause pain and a 40 year old body. More than anything I'd like to see them allow the teams to play, both sides.

maher_tyler
01-28-2010, 08:50 PM

Dude the Saints defense is pathetic! They gotta rely on taking out the other teams QB and for them to be as careless with the ball as the Vikings were! The Vikes moved the ball at will against the Saints D. Do you really think the Colts are going to turn the ball over 5-6 times?! The Colts don't have AP to hand the ball over...that's bad news for the Saints!!

Manning > Favre

Manning will have had 2 weeks to prep for that awesome D you speak of!

maher_tyler
01-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Most of that was the writers opinion. What Williams will try to do is rattle Manning, get in his face. And that's exactly what should be done. I remember us doing it to Brady in the playoff game and although he had a good game (in the 3rd quarter), it worked. The travesty I see in this whole subject is the overall protection by the league of the QB and in particular, Manning, Favre, and Brady. It's gotten sickening. I didn't see anything wrong with the ANY of the sacks on Favre last Sunday and the proof was he was not hurt. Any pain he experienced was from a game that can cause pain and a 40 year old body. More than anything I'd like to see them allow the teams to play, both sides.

Hilarious!

Guess you missed last weeks game!

gunns
01-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Hilarious!

Guess you missed last weeks game!

Watched the entire game. Guess you missed football when it was allowed to be played, not a protection agency for the QB's.

That One Guy
01-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Watched the entire game. Guess you missed football when it was allowed to be played, not a protection agency for the QB's.

They were driving Favre into the ground in ways not seen since Tony Siragusa (spelling?) made it a big issue years ago. There was the going low, driving him down, hitting him late... they were trying to not just get in his head but remove the thing.

We all agree on excessive protection of the QB today but sometimes the intent is obvious.

gunns
01-28-2010, 09:11 PM
They were driving Favre into the ground in ways not seen since Tony Siragusa (spelling?) made it a big issue years ago. There was the going low, driving him down, hitting him late... they were trying to not just get in his head but remove the thing.

We all agree on excessive protection of the QB today but sometimes the intent is obvious.

You must have missed football when it was played from both sides too, when a QB was protected by their line, not the league. If they were truly trying to take Favre out, they had more than ample opportunity....and didn't. That little act at the end, I told the people I was watching with that Favre would be back on the field. Hurt my ass, it was a ploy for a flag, a scenario for an excuse for a loss, or to be the hero. The Saints D did their job. To have more players like Butkus and Jones who would publically state they wanted to take the QB's head off. Of course they didn't, they just did their job, but they struck fear in the other side. QB's today think they are a protected commodity....see Brady wanting a flag. They have become nothing but a bunch of crying pussies who want to hinder the defense from their job. The only good thing that could possibly come from this "protection agency" would have been Elway maybe could have played 18 years instead of just 16.

maher_tyler
01-28-2010, 09:39 PM
You must have missed football when it was played from both sides too, when a QB was protected by their line, not the league. If they were truly trying to take Favre out, they had more than ample opportunity....and didn't. That little act at the end, I told the people I was watching with that Favre would be back on the field. Hurt my ass, it was a ploy for a flag, a scenario for an excuse for a loss, or to be the hero. The Saints D did their job. To have more players like Butkus and Jones who would publically state they wanted to take the QB's head off. Of course they didn't, they just did their job, but they struck fear in the other side. QB's today think they are a protected commodity....see Brady wanting a flag. They have become nothing but a bunch of crying pussies who want to hinder the defense from their job. The only good thing that could possibly come from this "protection agency" would have been Elway maybe could have played 18 years instead of just 16.

Wow!! First off...Favre is 40 years old!! Second of all, he not one time cried for a flag..not once!! The highlighted part...your an idiot if you truly believe that..maybe you missed the hit or were drunk while watching the game! That was one of the guttiest performances i've ever seen from a QB! Maybe you have a serious hate for Farve i don't know...a late hit is a late hit. The one time they did throw a flag was on that reverse..wasn't even throwing the ball!!

azbroncfan
01-28-2010, 09:43 PM
It's pretty easy, if you Blitz Manning you will lose for sure. You have to get pressure with 4 or less to beat the Colts.

baja
01-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Doesn't matter NO is winning this game going away.

WolfpackGuy
01-28-2010, 09:46 PM
It's pretty easy, if you Blitz Manning you will lose for sure. You have to get pressure with 4 or less to beat the Colts.

Tall order, but a must.

He almost invites the other teams to blitz and his line always seems to pick it up.

gunns
01-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Wow!! First off...Favre is 40 years old!! Second of all, he not one time cried for a flag..not once!! The highlighted part...your an idiot if you truly believe that..maybe you missed the hit or were drunk while watching the game! That was one of the guttiest performances i've ever seen from a QB! Maybe you have a serious hate for Farve i don't know...a late hit is a late hit. The one time they did throw a flag was on that reverse..wasn't even throwing the ball!!

Oh sweetie, calm down. Maybe YOU have a serious man crush. Favre will live to walk again. I did not say he called for a flag, reading comprehension. That was Brady I said that about. So what if he's 40, he chose to play. What is the defense suppose to say "leave him alone, he's 40"? Didn't I say in my previous post than any pain was from the game and a 40 year old body? Again, reading comprehension. How many times have you seen a QB flop for a flag? I don't believe his ankle was hurt. I didn't say it wasn't a gutty performance....hell, I'm not a fan of Favre's but he did play an impressive game. I'll add he's also an ego maniac, thus my opinion of his ploy. Maybe you'd do better with flag football if hits on the QB cause you this much stress....or is it just Favre?

bronco610
01-28-2010, 10:22 PM

I think Gunns point is people should go back and look at games like the Broncos vs. the Cowboys in super bowl XII. Take a look at some of the hits Morton takes not to mention some of the hits the Crush put on Stauback.

And yes the defense considered it there job to knock out QB's. Not babaric, just the nature of what football was meant to be.

SureShot
01-28-2010, 10:24 PM
After watching Elway get hit so hard I thought he was dead at times I dont mind seeing the new great QBs see how it used to be.

bronco610
01-28-2010, 10:30 PM
after watching elway get hit so hard i thought he was dead at times i dont mind seeing the new great qbs see how it used to be.

+1

Los Broncos
01-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Colts have a good offensive line, you blitz and you lose.

Better get pressure with the front four or he's going to win.

enjolras
01-29-2010, 01:13 AM
It's the old New England strategy. Get in Mannings face and he's beatable. The key is, you have to change up the timing of those blitzes. The Jets brought some serious heat last week and they really had Manning off rhythm, right until he figured it out. The Patriots have always been very good at bringing pressure from different angles... sometimes firing at the snap, sometimes with stunts and delayed blitzes, and sometimes by dropping everyone back into coverage.

With the Colts it's very simple. If Manning gets comfortable with the pressure your going to give up a LOT of points.

I don't think the Saints have the defensive talent to slow Manning down. I don't think the Colts have the defensive talent to put a dent in Brees.

This may be an Arena football game.

Natedog24
01-29-2010, 03:42 AM
It's the old New England strategy. Get in Mannings face and he's beatable. The key is, you have to change up the timing of those blitzes. The Jets brought some serious heat last week and they really had Manning off rhythm, right until he figured it out. The Patriots have always been very good at bringing pressure from different angles... sometimes firing at the snap, sometimes with stunts and delayed blitzes, and sometimes by dropping everyone back into coverage.

With the Colts it's very simple. If Manning gets comfortable with the pressure your going to give up a LOT of points.

I don't think the Saints have the defensive talent to slow Manning down. I don't think the Colts have the defensive talent to put a dent in Brees.

Exactly, you have to get pressure on Manning to have any hope of winning and that means blitzing in the Saint's case as they probably don't have a Dline capable of getting pressure by themselves. The real trick is disguising the blitz enough to confuse Manning and that is extremely difficult as Manning is as intelligent when it comes to reading a defense as any QB in the history of the league.

New Orleans needed a lot of help to get past Minnesota, I don't see the Colts making similiar mistakes...

watermock
01-29-2010, 03:46 AM
Minnesota gave it away and was robbed both.

Indy in a cakewalk.

tsiguy96
01-29-2010, 03:54 AM

this is why no one takes your opinion seriously, you dont know what you are talking about.

According to his brother Scott, Brett Favre sustained injuries to both wrists, both ankles and one leg in addition to having his head bruised in the NFC title game.

they beat the living hell out of favre taht game on some very questionable hits

That One Guy
01-29-2010, 04:37 AM
Some people are here for the community and aren't known for their football takes...

That One Guy
01-29-2010, 04:38 AM
Exactly, you have to get pressure on Manning to have any hope of winning and that means blitzing in the Saint's case as they probably don't have a Dline capable of getting pressure by themselves. The real trick is disguising the blitz enough to confuse Manning and that is extremely difficult as Manning is as intelligent when it comes to reading a defense as any QB in the history of the league.

New Orleans needed a lot of help to get past Minnesota, I don't see the Colts making similiar mistakes...

Which is the reason Manning seems to not always do so well against a good 3-4 but usually eats 4-3's lunch.

NE and SD were the Colts nemesis and used the 3-4 to do so. Dallas did pretty well in the same circumstances.

watermock
01-29-2010, 04:51 AM
There were several bad calls and no calls against the Vikes. Especially in overtime, there were 2 really bad calls.

Anyone who reviewed the game it was obvious.

Pick Six
01-29-2010, 09:23 AM
If that's really their strategy, that's a pretty disgusting thought...:thumbsdow

WolfpackGuy
01-29-2010, 09:28 AM
The keys will be pressure from the defensive line and covering the Colts "lesser" receivers. (Those not named Wayne or Clark.)

As some of said already, if you're going to blitz Manning, you have to mix it up. You can't rely on it.

And watch out for the damn pick plays.

The Colts do more "rub" routes than anybody.

Flex Gunmetal
01-29-2010, 09:57 AM
There were several bad calls and no calls against the Vikes. Especially in overtime, there were 2 really bad calls.

Favre lost that game. There are bad calls in every game.

Peoples Champ
01-29-2010, 10:22 AM
good

Beantown Bronco
01-29-2010, 11:03 AM
[I] One such hit to Favre's legs didn't draw a flag, even though NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira admitted last night that a roughing the passer penalty should have been called..

Speaking of which....anyone know what crew will be working the big game?

Beantown Bronco
01-29-2010, 11:06 AM
I didn't see anything wrong with the ANY of the sacks on Favre last Sunday

Me neither. But that's because he wasn't sacked.....not even once. :thumbsup:

azbroncfan
01-29-2010, 11:52 AM

There is the excuse man. The fumbles killed the Vikings period and the INT that cost them a chance at a FG to win it at the end. How come no mention of the gimme dropped INT in OT?

Peoples Champ
01-29-2010, 12:39 PM
they wont get to manning, as soon as anyone gets to Manning, he hits the deck immediately. I saw the most embarrasing one this year when the colts played the texans. Its sad, but its how manning has stayed healthy for so long and all of his starts.

TexanBob
01-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Is it better for the players to be able to claim themselves as SB champs even if they have to sacrifice some dignity to do it?

I would have liked a few Broncos to do that to Joe Montana in that one Super Bowl we lost. Is your dignity improved by losing 55-10 and not putting the other QB on the carpet? A well-timed cheap shot can affect the game and send the message if it is done in the right situation.

Don't forget, the Colts cheap-shotted Sanchez last Sunday after a hand-off. Ryan went nuts on the sidelines that nothing was called. So what goes around...

gunns
01-29-2010, 06:13 PM
this is why no one takes your opinion seriously, you dont know what you are talking about.

they beat the living hell out of favre taht game on some very questionable hits

No one? Well, there you go again, telling us what everyone is thinking or should be thinking. Since you've become the board joke I get give a **** less if you take it seriously. Besides, like some others you have reading comprehension problems. I never said they didn't beat the hell out of him, I was referring to the hit where he laid on the ground, had to be helped off and everyone wondered if he was coming back. I really didn't think I had to explain that, but then again it is you.

The only way there were questionable hits on Favre were due to the "rules" now. QB's are becoming like kickers, able to play forever because they aren't suppose to get hit. But then again you probably cringed whenever Favre got hit.

gunns
01-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Me neither. But that's because he wasn't sacked.....not even once. :thumbsup:

Funny. He was sacked a lot, the way it should be, it's what the defense is supposed to do.

gunns
01-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Some people are here for the community and aren't known for their football takes...

I like a guy who knows where his weakness lies.

Hogan11
01-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Speaking of which....anyone know what crew will be working the big game?

Jim Nantz & Phil Simms I think

tsiguy96
01-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Funny. He was sacked a lot, the way it should be, it's what the defense is supposed to do.

you said

I didn't see anything wrong with the ANY of the sacks on Favre last Sunday and the proof was he was not hurt.

i proved you wrong. favre was not sacked a singel time in that game. hit, yes. but then, just keep throwing out your facts for the world to see, so we can constantly correct you.

maher_tyler
01-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Oh sweetie, calm down. Maybe YOU have a serious man crush. Favre will live to walk again. I did not say he called for a flag, reading comprehension. That was Brady I said that about. So what if he's 40, he chose to play. What is the defense suppose to say "leave him alone, he's 40"? Didn't I say in my previous post than any pain was from the game and a 40 year old body? Again, reading comprehension. How many times have you seen a QB flop for a flag? I don't believe his ankle was hurt. I didn't say it wasn't a gutty performance....hell, I'm not a fan of Favre's but he did play an impressive game. I'll add he's also an ego maniac, thus my opinion of his ploy. Maybe you'd do better with flag football if hits on the QB cause you this much stress....or is it just Favre?

Nope, no man crush...just admiring one of the greatest of all time! Yes i did miss read what you wrote..my bad. What i meant by "He's 40" is that he is more susceptible to injury than a 25 year old for example, thats just a fact. The hits he was taking it was a miracle he finished the game. If you've ever actually played football before you might know a thing or two...i highly doubt you have! Saying he wasn't hurt is pretty ignorant to say in the least.

TexanBob
01-29-2010, 09:19 PM

I think he meant officiating crews, not broadcasting crews. Or you were just being snarky.

gunns
01-29-2010, 10:21 PM
you said

i proved you wrong. favre was not sacked a singel time in that game. hit, yes. but then, just keep throwing out your facts for the world to see, so we can constantly correct you.

He wasn't as hurt in that sack where he was helped off the field and the whole world gasped "would it be his last play" as all of you thought. But then, keep throwing out your lack of reading comprehension so I can constantly spell it all out for you AGAIN. There is rarely a football player that doesn't go home hurt after a game. See it's a game of getting hit, sacked, but those of you who are so damned worried about the QB getting some of those missed real football when that was allowed and the QB wasn't a prima donna. Guess what, it's what the defense does and is designed to do.

Bigdawg26
01-29-2010, 10:26 PM

LOL! Your right gunns!! Many people might not want to see their precious Brett Favre get touched, but that's football. He has shoulder pads and a helmet like everybody else for a reason. Defensive linemen get paid millions of dollars to hit the quarterback, and that's what they did and will try to do Manning (that's easier said than done). If you don't want Manning to get hit than put him in a skirt and give him some pom poms!

gunns
01-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Nope, no man crush...just admiring one of the greatest of all time! Yes i did miss read what you wrote..my bad. What i meant by "He's 40" is that he is more susceptible to injury than a 25 year old for example, thats just a fact. The hits he was taking it was a miracle he finished the game. If you've ever actually played football before you might know a thing or two...i highly doubt you have! Saying he wasn't hurt is pretty ignorant to say in the least.

OMG, I was referring to the sack when the world gasped, etc. etc. etc. If the sack was so illegal the guy would not have been back in the game. THAT's the sack that everyone is crying about. He took a pounding that day because the defense did their job. I have to hand it to him for being able to take the pounding but so what if he's more susceptible to injury...the defense will still and should still do their job. My argument is the current rules in the NFL that make the QB a prima donna and say that sack was "so bad". Let the defense play. If a defensive player comes up and literally tries to twist a QB's head off (by face mask) yes, that should be an illegal move.

I played on an all girl's football team, but I'm sure that's not what you are talking about. No it wasn't flag, it was tackle and I played QB. I know the game, I know the guy was hurting after the game BUT that has nothing to do with the current rules protecting the QB, getting sacked and hit a variety of ways is part of the game.

Sassy
01-29-2010, 10:32 PM
he wasn't as hurt in that sack where he was helped off the field and the whole world gasped "would it be his last play" as all of you thought. But then, keep throwing out your lack of reading comprehension so i can constantly spell it all out for you again. There is rarely a football player that doesn't go home hurt after a game. See it's a game of getting hit, sacked, but those of you who are so damned worried about the qb getting some of those missed real football when that was allowed and the qb wasn't a prima donna. Guess what, it's what the defense does and is designed to do.

and that's what we wish the broncos d would do!

gunns
01-29-2010, 10:37 PM
LOL! Your right gunns!! Many people might not want to see their precious Brett Favre get touched, but that's football. He has shoulder pads and a helmet like everybody else for a reason. Defensive linemen get paid millions of dollars to hit the quarterback, and that's what they did and will try to do Manning (that's easier said than done). If you don't want Manning to get hit than put him in a skirt and give him some pom poms!

Thank you, finally someone who gets it.

maher_tyler
01-29-2010, 10:59 PM
OMG, I was referring to the sack when the world gasped, etc. etc. etc. If the sack was so illegal the guy would not have been back in the game. THAT's the sack that everyone is crying about. He took a pounding that day because the defense did their job. I have to hand it to him for being able to take the pounding but so what if he's more susceptible to injury...the defense will still and should still do their job. My argument is the current rules in the NFL that make the QB a prima donna and say that sack was "so bad". Let the defense play. If a defensive player comes up and literally tries to twist a QB's head off (by face mask) yes, that should be an illegal move.

I played on an all girl's football team, but I'm sure that's not what you are talking about. No it wasn't flag, it was tackle and I played QB. I know the game, I know the guy was hurting after the game BUT that has nothing to do with the current rules protecting the QB, getting sacked and hit a variety of ways is part of the game.

I do agree that the rules are getting ridiculous! What i don't agree with is you saying he wasn't hurt. It's easy for us to say let the D play and go after guys like Brady and Manning..if they were our QB, i don't think many would be saying the same thing. If they got hit and was our QB like Favre did last weekend, people here would have started at least 10 different threads about it.

TexanBob
01-30-2010, 12:20 AM
1) On the play where Favre was hit high and low while throwing the pick to Vilma, the NFL rules guy on the NFL Network said it *should* have been a penalty and negated the interception. It would not have been called a few years ago, though, before the knee injuries to Carson Palmer and Tom Brady. And it's not enforced evenly.

2) My point is that, for precision passers like Brady and Manning, they need to be roughed up to throw them off their game. And if you need to do it after the play, pick your spot and do it when it will hurt least (i.e. not on 3rd and 13 from midfield). If you let them get comfortable and pick apart secondaries all day, you'll surely lose. Intimidation is a part of life in football and you have to give the great QBs something else to think about. So, I don't mind what the Saints did to Favre and I don't mind if they do it again to Manning. I tend to believe that if Favre wasn't running for his life on a bad ankle, he scrambles into FG range on that play just before OT instead of throwing that pick over the middle so, in my opinion, beating up Favre earlier forced him into a critical turnover later.

3) Would I cry about a late/dirty hit if it were our QB? If the refs aren't calling it fair, yes. But if I were coaching, I wouldn't get mad, I'd get even. I'd tell my guys to send me the fines. I'll pay them. But go do unto others as their defense is doing unto you. Seriously.

UberBroncoMan
01-30-2010, 01:04 AM
They've knocked Warner and Favre out their games (for a short period of time). The Saints are dirty as **** on D. More power to them if they aren't getting penalized for it though. Will be interesting to see if it's allowed in the Super Bowl.

bronco610
01-30-2010, 01:08 AM
They've knocked Warner and Favre out their games (for a short period of time). The Saints are dirty as **** on D. More power to them if they aren't getting penalized for it though. Will be interesting to see if it's allowed in the Manning Bowl.

Fixed

Garcia Bronco
01-30-2010, 01:20 AM
Doesn't matter NO is winning this game going away.

I don't think so. A think the Sqints are going to get beat. They just aren't good enough.

NOLA Bronco
01-30-2010, 08:32 AM
The Saints got flagged for 2 roughing calls. One was BS as the d lineman hit favre after he handed the ball to Harvin on an end around and he was clearly trying to "block" and get in the way of the defense like a hoops player setting a pick. BS. The driving him into the ground call was also BS because last I checked a QB has a helmet and pads on too. The one people are bitching about on the int was a good no call. The flag should only be thrown on blatent hits to head, below the knees, or a late hit. Favre got crunched at the same time he threw the ball.

Manning is beatable. Don't forget, the colts have to stop Breesus.

gunns
01-30-2010, 09:06 AM
I do agree that the rules are getting ridiculous! What i don't agree with is you saying he wasn't hurt. It's easy for us to say let the D play and go after guys like Brady and Manning..if they were our QB, i don't think many would be saying the same thing. If they got hit and was our QB like Favre did last weekend, people here would have started at least 10 different threads about it.

Favre was not maimed or put out of commission because of that play. His face mask was not pulled, his head was not knocked off, it was not a decidedly late hit. He was not hurt by a vicious roughing the passer hit, he was hurt from getting hit multiple times during the game. He was not hurt (his ankle, knee, head, etc.) by that sack/hit, he was hurt from playing the game of football. But, one of the media Gods might have been put out of commission from being sacked and hit multiple times, they put in these rules. And next Sunday we have another media God playing. Too bad they can't just play the game. Sad.

Rohirrim
01-30-2010, 09:08 AM
The only path to defeating the Colts is hitting Manning. Pretty obvious. I hope Manning has the kind of day Favre had last week. ;D

Circle Orange
01-31-2010, 09:35 AM

With Manning, you disrupt his timing and expose his physical limitations. PEople forget his offensive line are quick footed passblockers. They don't get enough credit for giving melon dome time to "beat the blitz". People act like it's just Peyton out there and nobody else. That's what the Ravens and Steelers did to Brady...expose him for the "system" qb he really is. Or should I say corporate quarterback?

Cito Pelon
01-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Sure looked to me like NO was trying their best to injure Favre in the NFCCG, we'll see how they fare against Manning with the attention Williams brought with these comments.

Bigdawg26
01-31-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't think people realize the saints won 13 games in a row! They beat some good teams in the process Pats, Jets, Gaints(when they were playing well), and Eagles. They are not just some time that just got hot in the end like the Jets (and everybody was talking about how great they are). What they were trying to do was HIT Brett Favre like every defense tries to do. If you don't want to hit anybody then why play defense. Just let the quarterback throw the ball all day. Point blank you millions of dollars to get the quarterback and hit people on defense. If you want to keep your job and win the game because if you don't hit the offense they have no problem with running up the score (LIKE THEY DID THE COWBOYS). And also if people were hitting Kyle Orton like that nobody was said anything because the game is not called fair anyway!

Mecklomaniac
03-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Lol... was looking for a different thread but stumbled on this one. Interesting blast from the past intersecting today's Manning and Saintsgate stories.

Dutch
03-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Lol... was looking for a different thread but stumbled on this one. Interesting blast from the past intersecting today's Manning and Saintsgate stories.

Well done, you crusty old vet....:thumbs:

That One Guy
03-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Hey, nifty, I made this thread.

It's interesting in hindsight that while we all sorta seemed to recognize what was going on, I don't think we realized it was as serious as it turned out to be. You know players try to knock out other players and that's just accepted but that little detail about encouraging it and rewarding it is what made it into one of the biggest scandals in recent memory.

UberBroncoMan
03-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Saints ****ed up Warner, the Favre then Manning.

Four HOF QB's in a row.

Ironically the Saints come from a city with the highest murder rate in the nation.

Swell atmosphere.

That One Guy
03-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Saints ****ed up Warner, the Favre then Manning.

Four HOF QB's in a row.

Ironically the Saints come from a city with the highest murder rate in the nation.

Swell atmosphere.

:kiddingme

1...2....3....?

UberBroncoMan
03-21-2012, 10:16 PM
:kiddingme

1...2....3....?

Think about it.

BroncsCheer
03-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Hey, nifty, I made this thread.

It's interesting in hindsight that while we all sorta seemed to recognize what was going on, I don't think we realized it was as serious as it turned out to be. You know players try to knock out other players and that's just accepted but that little detail about encouraging it and rewarding it is what made it into one of the biggest scandals in recent memory.

nice zombie thread resurrection - very interesting REP!

cutthemdown
03-22-2012, 12:17 AM
Yep this was some great insight.

Circle Orange
03-22-2012, 06:53 PM

That kind of junk can degenerate into brawls on the field. Looks like the Saints are headed back to the old days! Head bags are optional. :clown:

Steve Prefontaine
03-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Thus the league is preparing to help their poster boy out

I hope the Saints knock his ass out

Who Dat Who Dhere

Good take.

Circle Orange
03-22-2012, 07:47 PM

Will Phil be dirty blonde, sandy blonde, platinum blonde, or pale brunette? He's changed his hair color so many times I'm dizzy.http://scosoft.com/s/r/60f7585d.gif

Jesterhole
03-22-2012, 08:02 PM
That quote from Williams is damn creepy wihen read with context. I hope he never coaches again. What a terd.

Spider
03-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Kyle Turley approves of this