PDA

View Full Version : wonder if denver could match this?

tsiguy96
01-28-2010, 06:50 PM
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/01/who_dat_nation_erupts_with_joy.html

would be tough given the location. thats crazy.

montrose
01-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Dude, with every year Denver becomes a worse sports town. Between the recession, transplants taking over the city and more popular alternative options - I often feel like an outsider living here as a sports fan. The Avs have been in 1st place all year and are near the cellar in attendence while the Nugz have a legit NBA-title contender and they're middle of the pack. While the Broncos remain the most popular team in town, I wouldn't be shocked if the number of true Raiders, Bears, Packers and Steelers fans in town (combined) outnumbered the true Broncos fans. In talking with some managers from the Best Buy I work at (closest to downtown) there was a time when the store could practically close down on Broncos Sundays. Now, Sunday's are one of the busiest days of the week and the managers don't even put the game on in the TV section. Not only are games at Invesco dead (It would be hard for me to imagine a less hostile stadium to come into, as an opposing team and especially an opposing fan), but the town just has no buzz for the Broncos or any other team.

Driving up I-25 every day I see far more cars decorated in out-of-town colors than any Colorado teams and the way Steelers, Red Wings, Lakers and Red Sox fans have absolutly taken over the stadiums here - I think it's safe to say Denver is no longer a sportstown. It's more of a trendy, young transplat hub made up of people from Chicago, New England, California, Minnesota and Michigan. There will always be some bandwaggon support like the Rockies or Nuggets runs produced, but as a true sports-town Denver is now far more San Diego than Boston.

Borks147
01-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Dude, with every year Denver becomes a worse sports town. Between the recession, transplants taking over the city and more popular alternative options - I often feel like an outsider living here as a sports fan. The Avs have been in 1st place all year and are near the cellar in attendence while the Nugz have a legit NBA-title contender and they're middle of the pack. While the Broncos remain the most popular team in town, I wouldn't be shocked if the number of true Raiders, Bears, Packers and Steelers fans in town (combined) outnumbered the true Broncos fans. In talking with some managers from the Best Buy I work at (closest to downtown) there was a time when the store could practically close down on Broncos Sundays. Now, Sunday's are one of the busiest days of the week and the managers don't even put the game on in the TV section. Not only are games at Invesco dead (It would be hard for me to imagine a less hostile stadium to come into, as an opposing team and especially an opposing fan), but the town just has no buzz for the Broncos or any other team.

Driving up I-25 every day I see far more cars decorated in out-of-town colors than any Colorado teams and the way Steelers, Red Wings, Lakers and Red Sox fans have absolutly taken over the stadiums here - I think it's safe to say Denver is no longer a sportstown. It's more of a trendy, young transplat hub made up of people from Chicago, New England, California, Minnesota and Michigan. There will always be some bandwaggon support like the Rockies or Nuggets runs produced, but as a true sports-town Denver is now far more San Diego than Boston.

This makes me want to move to Denver with war paint on.

broncosteven
01-28-2010, 07:46 PM

I am the opposite example of this and have attended Bronco away games and have had beers thrown at me by home fans.

I think the dilution of home teams in those citys is more related to the availablity of Merchandise and Direct TV.

In the old days you had to live in the outlet to see the games. I remember when growing up after we moved from Denver having to hope for a Monday night game (then not being allowed to stay up for the whole game) because Michigan never broadcasted Bronco games. Hell for years in the late 70's Coselle was my only source for Bronco info, if he decided to show any highlights. Then they would make the playoffs only to go in the 1st round, the Earl Campbel Houston game comes to mind.

Now anyone can order Bronco gear from anywhere and anyone can see all 16 games of their team of choice if they have a dish, even bars show all the games now.

It is way easier to stay stuck to your favorite team rather be forced to change aliegiances because it is the only game in town.

I think teams want it that way because Merch is the big seller, ticket sales are static, Merch is dynamic and farther reaching.

So everytime I hear people complaining that the Steelers fans take over Invesco I don't feel bad because I am part of that problem as I am a Bronco fan going to away games.

In this day and age only a SB run would energize a local fan base and that is fleeting. Sports are now about what have you done for me lately and if you suck I am going to watch a winner on my Direct TV package out of market.

gtown
01-28-2010, 07:54 PM
I think the dilution of home teams in those citys is more related to the availablity of Merchandise and Direct TV.

This. DC has a huge Broncos community. A decade ago, those people might have converted to retard Skins fans, but satellite TV allows us to catch most of the games. Plus the OMane is more entertainment than just about anything out there.

supermanhr9
01-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Sad, Sad, Sad. It's because so many yuppies from Cali keep coming into town. And don't even get me started on the Texas immigrants.

Man-Goblin
01-29-2010, 07:34 AM

This is the way it's becoming all over. Attribute some of it to interstate flight, but more importantly it's now easier to watch and follow your team from anywhere in the world. Your only information source is no longer the local media, and your viewing options are no longer limited to the local channels. If I had left Denver in 1993, and not 2003, it would have been almost impossible to stay a hardcore Bronco fan.

Also, I'm of the belief that there's only so much money in a market place that the poplulation has to spend on going to games. That money is probably similar to what it was when the Avs were dominant and selling out every night. Unfortunately for them, more money is now flowing to the Nuggets and Rockies.

Broncomutt
01-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Doesn't Denver have a riot every year they win a sports championship? :injured:

I grew up in DC and when the Skins won a SB everybody would get drunk and party. In Denver they flip squad cars. :cuss::kungfu:

Super Bowl XXXII thwack:nutkick:puff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5vJ6tqW9BY

Super Bowl XXXIII :griese::chairhit::bash:
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/02/01/sports/super-bowl-xxxiii-tear-gas-used-on-denver-crowd.html?pagewanted=1

Oooops, I stand corrected. Poor Avs. They made headlines because there wasn't a riot. :alky:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/cup01/2001-06-09-riots.htm

worm
01-29-2010, 07:52 AM
wonder if denver could match this?

They already have. It was called Bronco Mania.

You are only a virgin once.

Meck77
01-29-2010, 07:56 AM
There was a poll on the omane not that long ago. I seem to recall direct tv winning out over going to games.

Hogan11
01-29-2010, 08:13 AM

That sums it up perfectly.

Just imagine what'll be like if they actually win....Yikes!

bpc
01-29-2010, 08:29 AM
When you have weiners at the game who just want to sit, and be comfortable, and sip their champaign, and they openly complain about people who are standing and cheering, and the MO by security is to throw those cheering fans out if they persist, well, yes, you basically kill the mood of the stadium.

F'n ridiculous.

~Crash~
01-29-2010, 09:06 AM
well thing is BPC the team has to get them up also .

Hell Elway made people get off their asses.. so I would tell you this generation of players need to do the same thing .

bronco militia
01-29-2010, 09:10 AM

all that ended when John Elway retired.

~Crash~
01-29-2010, 09:14 AM
We as fans have forgot what -why we were so energized at games . Hell the raiders would pummel Elway all day and he would run around the field like a chicken with it's head cut off for 40 minuets and wear down the raiders D then and then he would cut off their heads in the last 20 minuets. and yes this made even rich people scream.

What is wrong with being rich these days ? If you don't like money PM me and I gladly take you - your burden of your hands.

kamakazi_kal
01-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Sad, Sad, Sad. It's because so many yuppies from Cali keep coming into town. And don't even get me started on the Texas immigrants.

I grew up in colorado and I live in Cali so .....

Meck77
01-29-2010, 09:21 AM

Broncomania is only gone for you if you say it is. Tell that to the 5, 10, 15 year old kids who walk into the stadium for the first time. They go nuts!

I certainly agree there was a very old generation of fans who were sent packing when Invesco was built. They wanted to see Elway win it all and they got it. Then Bowlen changed the transfer policy on their season tickets and they cashed out. BOOM! At once a huge portion of Broncos fans moved on.

I was once a displaced Bronco fan and followed the game through the newspapers and whatever source I had but IMO there is no replacement for being at the game. Yeah direct TV is cheaper, more convenient, the couch is more comfortable, but none of that contributes to the 12th man. None of it.

When Elway did his retirement speech he thanked the fans in the stands for being the difference.

UberBroncoMan

God... way to make people depressed.

DHallblows
I grew up in colorado and I live in Cali so .....

sooooo...you're literally the exact opposite of who he was talking about???

titan
01-29-2010, 09:55 AM
The first Super Bowl for a team/city is very special. It was like that in Denver in 1977 - I remember ABC featuring the Denver celebrations on their nightly news one night after the AFC Championship win over the Raiders.

We are fortunate in Denver to have had our share of Super Bowl appearances, World Championships (Broncos and Avs), and World Series appearances. People will still get excited around here but you aren't going to see celebrations like New Orleans is having. The first time is the best. Read the book 77 if you weren't around back then to get a sense of what it was like. I will never forget being in the South Stands for the 20-17 AFC Championship win over the Raiders - not even the Super Bowl wins matched that.

Tombstone RJ
01-29-2010, 09:59 AM

Word.

This is one of the reasons I had no problem leaving Colorado even though I grew up there.

It's freaking being taken over by azzzzhat transplants and I can't friggen stand it.

Tombstone RJ
01-29-2010, 10:04 AM
all that ended when John Elway retired.

Wrong. It ended when Mile High Stadium was torn down. Bowlen got a fresh new stadium with great revenue, but he basically kissed away the unbelievable home field advantage MHS gave the Broncos...

Meck77
01-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Word.

It's freaking being taken over by azzzzhat transplants and I can't friggen stand it.

Now they are calling you the azzhat transplant. ;)

I'll be seeing you this summer. :)

vancejohnson82
01-29-2010, 10:29 AM
When you have weiners at the game who just want to sit, and be comfortable, and sip their champaign, and they openly complain about people who are standing and cheering, and the MO by security is to throw those cheering fans out if they persist, well, yes, you basically kill the mood of the stadium.

F'n ridiculous.

you just summed up my experience the last two times I travelled out there...

flew 3/4 of the way across the country to cheer my team on in person and had security called on me by some chicks behind me who didnt like the fact that I got up on almost every 3rd down when our D was on the field.

Tombstone RJ
01-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Now they are calling you the azzhat transplant. ;)

I'll be seeing you this summer. :)

^5

Cool! Yah, everyone here is from somewhere else too...

kamakazi_kal
01-29-2010, 10:40 AM
sooooo...you're literally the exact opposite of who he was talking about???

No, truthfully I just wanted to use that finger .GIF :wiggle:

It got me a funny neg rep last time.

RhymesayersDU
01-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Hey, no need to bag on transplants... I'm trying to move to Denver within the next year!

DHallblows
01-29-2010, 08:01 PM
No, truthfully I just wanted to use that finger .GIF :wiggle:

It got me a funny neg rep last time.

:~ohyah!: Fair enough