PDA

View Full Version : Marshall expected to be traded after March 5

Cool Breeze
01-28-2010, 11:55 AM
According to the Denver Post, Brandon Marshall is expected to be traded shortly after NFL free agency opens on March 5.

The Broncos' leverage is somewhat damaged after a Week 17 blowout between Marshall and coach Josh McDaniels. Throw in Marshall's major character concerns, and the team will have trouble getting anywhere close to full value for their restricted free agent. Marshall isn't talking during this week's Pro Bowl practices, saying he's "had enough publicity." Smart.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35128021/ns/sports-player_news/

Look who's not talking: Marshall mum on future

<!--subtitle--><!--byline-->By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
<!--date-->Posted: 01/28/2010 01:00:00 AM MST
<!--secondary date--> — In what are most likely his final days of playing football while wearing a Broncos helmet, wide receiver Brandon Marshall is healthy and happy.
And conspicuously quiet.
During the AFC Pro Bowl team's first practice Wednesday at St. Thomas Aquinas High School, Marshall ran a few patterns at top speed, cut sharply on the artificial surface and showed no ill effects from the bum hamstring that brought on a controversial and premature end to his 2009 season.
After the practice, Marshall was pleasant and conversational, until it was time to speak on the record.
"I'm not talking," he said. "I've had enough publicity."
Marshall was benched by Broncos coach Josh McDaniels the Friday before Denver's final game of the season, essentially for punitive, not injury-related, reasons.
The Broncos are expected to trade Marshall soon after March 5, when the NFL's trading and free-agency period opens.

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_14283046?source=commented-

SoDak Bronco
01-28-2010, 11:58 AM
i've listened to plenty of people talk about it on the radio from the post, and they are saying its pretty much a done deal, and that he is going to be traded and denver has had enough of Brandon Marshall. hopefully this doesn't mean we will just give him away, but i think there will be several teams willing to give up a 1st or 2nd to grab him.

gyldenlove
01-28-2010, 12:00 PM
I like that, so he will be traded after trades are allowed again, that does seem to make a bit of sense and be entirely redundant information since there is no way he could be traded before the 5th.

Man-Goblin
01-28-2010, 12:01 PM
It would be a huge mistake to trade him before you let him sniff around in free agency, unless you get more than the 1st and 3rd.

Popps
01-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Marshall ran a few patterns at top speed, cut sharply on the artificial surface and showed no ill effects from the bum hamstring that brought on a controversial and premature end to his 2009 season.

Well, fan my brow!

SoDak Bronco
01-28-2010, 12:05 PM
It would be a huge mistake to trade him before you let him sniff around in free agency, unless you get more than the 1st and 3rd.

I would let him walk for a 1st in a heart beat.

tsiguy96
01-28-2010, 12:06 PM

absolutely.

i will absically gaurantee mcdaniels does the same thing he did with cutler, when he set the bidding at 2 first round picks. from there, whoever creates best deal wins.

marshall starts at a 1st and maybe a 4th (where we drafted him).

Cool Breeze
01-28-2010, 12:07 PM
It sounds like our new P.R. guy is starting to float ideas in the press prior to them happening. Not a new idea - althought this is the most definitive statement yet.

Cool Breeze
01-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Marshall ran a few patterns at top speed, cut sharply on the artificial surface and showed no ill effects from the bum hamstring that brought on a controversial and premature end to his 2009 season.

Well, fan my brow!

Ha!

Looks like our medical staff can work wonders despite popular opinions...:giggle:

no-pseudo-fan
01-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Whether we want him or not, I say we set the high tender on him and let him work out his own deal. Hello 1st and 3rd

TheDave
01-28-2010, 12:10 PM
It sounds like our new P.R. guy is starting to float ideas in the press prior to them happening.

There is probably some truth to that...

As big of a headache as Marshal is just as as productive on the field...Lets hope for the best here.

Man-Goblin
01-28-2010, 12:11 PM

But you're guaranteed the 1st and the 3rd if a team just signs him away.

The only scenario where a trade makes sense is if you trade him to a team with a high 1st rounder as opposed to losing him to a team with a low 1st rounder plus a low 3rd. So, basically, a trade only makes sense if the 1st and 3rd scares everyone off, and you won't know that until the FA period plays out.

no-pseudo-fan
01-28-2010, 12:18 PM
But you're guaranteed the 1st and the 3rd if a team just signs him away.

The only scenario where a trade makes sense is if you trade him to a team with a high 1st rounder as opposed to losing him to a team with a low 1st rounder plus a low 3rd. So, basically, a trade only makes sense if the 1st and 3rd scares everyone off, and you won't know that until the FA period plays out.

That is what I am saying....

If Denver trades him for a 2nd, we are the dumbest team in the NFL.

This is what I would do....

Tender him for the high tender of a first and a 3rd. Wait for him to work out a deal with a team, and when a team signs him to an offer sheet and sets the contract amount, I start shopping him to other teams in the attempt to get more. If we get offered more than a 1st and a 3rd then we match and then trade him to that team. Brandon might not like it, but Denver holds the cards here.

HEAV
01-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Trade him to the Buccs for both their 2nd round picks.

Rohirrim
01-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Frankly, I'd rather see him clean up the BS and stay. The dude has rare talent. But if there is no alternative, I'd trade him straight up for the pick that gets us Iaputi or Dan Williams.

jhns
01-28-2010, 12:34 PM
This should really help with that goal of getting more talented. I know I always think you need to get rid of some of your most talented players to accomplish that....

As for his hammy, he had already said he could have played week 17. Weird that people find it suprising he can play now....

I hate McDaniels the GM.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-28-2010, 12:36 PM
As for his hammy, he had already said he could have played week 17. Weird that people find it suprising he can play now....

Then why didn't he?

jhns
01-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Then why didn't he?

Maybe he was late for a rehab and the coach benched him?

Boobs McGee
01-28-2010, 12:41 PM
I think he's gonna be rocking a broncos jersey next year...the media has overhyped EVERYTHING that's happened to our team.

bronco militia
01-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Then why didn't he?

there's only room for one these guys on game day

http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/ballhype/story_large/2009/11/23/josh_mcdaniels_sucks.jpg

Hercules Rockefeller
01-28-2010, 12:44 PM
i will absically gaurantee mcdaniels does the same thing he did with cutler, when he set the bidding at 2 first round picks. from there, whoever creates best deal wins.

The bidding for Cutler started at 2 1sts and 2 3rds.

mr007
01-28-2010, 12:46 PM

Well, fan my brow!

Yeah I mean there's no way he could have recovered from an injury in a month!!

/eyeroll

tsiguy96
01-28-2010, 12:53 PM
The bidding for Cutler started at 2 1sts and 2 3rds.

no, it didnt.

per chris mortenson, april 2 2009

... the Broncos have informed all interested teams that they want at least two first-round picks for Cutler and getting a quarterback in exchange is not a necessity, Mortensen reports. A team source said it was possible Cutler could be traded as soon as Friday.

TonyR
01-28-2010, 01:23 PM
This should really help with that goal of getting more talented. I know I always think you need to get rid of some of your most talented players to accomplish that....

If only it were so simple, jhns. I don't think too many people want to get rid of him. I sure don't, he's probably my favorite player. But do you hand $20 million guaranteed to a guy who's had serious off field issues and basically quit on the team in the last week of the season? Do you reward only the on field performance and ignore the antics and insubordination? Agree 100% it's going to be extremely difficult to replace the talent and production. But at the same time you can't have a guy submarining the locker room. The coaches and FO know a lot more about the overall situation than we do. All we can do is hope they do the best thing for the team.

PRBronco
01-28-2010, 01:26 PM

http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/ballhype/story_large/2009/11/23/josh_mcdaniels_sucks.jpg

Hey what happened to petulant?

mr007
01-28-2010, 01:33 PM
If only it were so simple, jhns. I don't think too many people want to get rid of him. I sure don't, he's probably my favorite player. But do you hand $20 million guaranteed to a guy who's had serious off field issues and basically quit on the team in the last week of the season? Do you reward only the on field performance and ignore the antics and insubordination? Agree 100% it's going to be extremely difficult to replace the talent and production. But at the same time you can't have a guy submarining the locker room. The coaches and FO know a lot more about the overall situation than we do. All we can do is hope they do the best thing for the team.

Yes.

no-pseudo-fan
01-28-2010, 01:36 PM

Stupid, worthless, no good, goddamn, freeloading son of a bitch. Retarded, big mouth, know-it-all, asshole, jerk.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful

ZONA
01-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Until I see one credible source saying he's going, I'm not buying this crap. So what if he's not talking. That doesn't mean jack ****.

montrose
01-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Stupid, worthless, no good, goddamn, freeloading son of a b****. Retarded, big mouth, know-it-all, a-hole, jerk.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful

Shut up bi*ch! Go make me a turkey pot pie!

ColoradoDarin
01-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Shut up bi*ch! Go make me a turkey pot pie!

No dad, what about you?

no-pseudo-fan
01-28-2010, 01:57 PM
ROFL!Shut up bi*ch! Go make me a turkey pot pie!

I love that movie....watched it last night

Bronco CB40
01-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Who will be the offense's playmaker now? Correll Buckhalter? Jabar Gaffney? Eddie Royal?

tsiguy96
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Who will be the offense's playmaker now? Correll Buckhalter? Jabar Gaffney? Eddie Royal?

jabar did put up 200 yards receiving in final game didnt he?

just sayin.

yerner
01-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Great. Can't wait to watch Gaffney & Mcdaniels Suckfest 2010.

Bronco CB40
01-28-2010, 02:15 PM

just sayin.

Gaffney is a role player, a complementary receiver. His performance during his eight years in the NFL speaks for itself.

No reason to go overboard over a small sample size of production.

Rabb
01-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Gaffney is a role player, a complementary receiver. His performance during his eight years in the NFL speaks for itself.

No reason to go overboard over a small sample size of production.

just like there is no reason to go overboard that we won't have any playmakers if Brandon is gone, right?

I want him to stay, but life will move on without him

tell me who the Pats' playmaker on offense was during their SB years, I will give you a hint...it wasn't a WR, we have other areas of concern that bother me more

montrose
01-28-2010, 02:20 PM

Does the offense necessarily need to have a "playmaker"? Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. I honestly think an improved interior OL and healthy Moreno (which he wasn't last year) will make a big difference. A WR corps of Royal, Gaffney, Lloyd and McKinley (plus a FA or rookie of course) certainly lacks star power but with a QB who has another year in the system and an improved running game I think the offense can be servicable.

Now, if you have a motivated, team-first Marshall on that team it makes the unit that much better. This assuming that his presense doesn't make Orton feel that he HAS to force him the ball. More than saving money or elminating a distraction - I personally feel that would be the major benefit of dumping Marshall, if there is such a thing. I got the feeling at times, especially late in the season, Orton felt he HAD to get the ball to Marshall or else. This is based on a few sideline interactions I noticed at the game that appeared similar to the one NFL Films picked up. During the home SD game, Orton went to Stokley (incomplete) on a 4th down when Marshall was open for a TD on a go route. To say Brandon got upset would be an understatement. They never got too hostile, but it was evident Brandon, as most star WRs, gets VERY frusturated at his QB when he doesn't get the ball and isn't afraid to let the QB know it.

At this point in his career and development in this system, I think the last thing Orton needs is to feel pressured to get one guy the ball. His biggest weakness already is staring down WRs (yes, not his arm) so that just compounds the issue. Now if Brandon is paid, maybe he's more open to not getting the ball and Orton would feel liberated to spread the ball. I could see it going either way. Unlike Cutler, who I was largely onboard with dealing because I'm not a gunslinging QB fan, I'm torn between the fan that loves watching Marshall play and the realist that thinks they're better off without him.

RMT
01-28-2010, 02:21 PM
"I'm not talking," he said. "I've had enough publicity."

had enough publicity? probably ... not talking? i'll believe it when i see it

he should have had this mentality about, oh, 3 years ago. hey, Brandon, the 1st step to getting OUT of a hole is to STOP DIGGING. put down your shovel.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Trading him would make draft day more exciting, and thats really what its all about right :)?

HEAV
01-28-2010, 02:24 PM

Free agency has some options @ WR also the draft holds a few Recievers that can play catch and run.

It's not impossible to replace Marshall, it's just about finding the right fit.

strafen
01-28-2010, 02:25 PM
absolutely.

yup, mcdaniels is learning.
i wonder what he would get for clady or dumervil, or wait, dumervil may be gone anyway, what about hillis, clady, harris, or scheffler?
he must be chomping at the bit to see what he can get in a trade for those guys.
bring on the scrubs, please!!!

nobody wants to play for this dysfunctional mess called the denver broncos

Paladin
01-28-2010, 02:28 PM
School is out?

strafen
01-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Free agency has some options @ WR also the draft holds a few Recievers that can play catch and run.

It's not impossible to replace Marshall, it's just about finding the right fit.It would be easier if the meathead-coach we've got would show some people skills and an ability to work with people
I don't know if this ever happened before, but my prediction is that McDaniels will be smacked around by a players before too long...

tsiguy96
01-28-2010, 02:29 PM
It would be easier if the meathead-coach we've got would show some people skills and an ability to work with people
I don't know if this ever happened before, but my prediction is that McDaniels will be smacked around by a players before too long...

:rofl::rofl::giggle::giggle:

players routinely HIT their head coach

Florida_Bronco
01-28-2010, 02:30 PM
nctional mess called the denver broncos

Really? Kinda odd (and retarded) statement considering that we just had a thread started here today with Brian Dawkins stating his support for McDaniels.

Bronco CB40
01-28-2010, 02:31 PM
just like there is no reason to go overboard that we won't have any playmakers if Brandon is gone, right?

I want him to stay, but life will move on without him

tell me who the Pats' playmaker on offense was during their SB years, I will give you a hint...it wasn't a WR, we have other areas of concern that bother me more

This offense needs a player that can score from anywhere on the field. Someone who is a threat to score any time they touch the ball.

Right now it's too dependent on converting 3-4 third downs per drive to put together a TD drive.

I trust McDaniels' offense, but every NFL offense needs to have big plays mixed in with the efficient, move-the-chains variety of plays.

strafen
01-28-2010, 02:32 PM

just sayin.

get your head out of your ass, please!
he 's not that good of a receiver.
hey, cutler threw for 4500 yards when he was here, just sayin

Steve Prefontaine
01-28-2010, 02:34 PM

Well, fan my brow!

Oh yes, totally. He recovered from a hamstring injury in a month. Completely impossible...so he must have never been injured.

Drama who? Drama what?

Florida_Bronco
01-28-2010, 02:36 PM
:rofl::rofl::giggle::giggle:

players routinely HIT their head coach

On top of that, who would hit him? Marshall? Scheffler? Not only are those bitches unlikely to be on the team next year but THEY are the unpopular ones and if they ever raised a hand to McDaniels, players like Champ, Dawkins, Hochstein and Jordan would probably beat them into next week.

Bronco CB40
01-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Does the offense necessarily need to have a "playmaker"? Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. I honestly think an improved interior OL and healthy Moreno (which he wasn't last year) will make a big difference. A WR corps of Royal, Gaffney, Lloyd and McKinley (plus a FA or rookie of course) certainly lacks star power but with a QB who has another year in the system and an improved running game I think the offense can be servicable.

Forget serviceable, this offense should be elite, top 10 at the very least. Why hire McDaniels if this isn't the goal in the long-term?

Eventually, I want to see a 2007 Patriots type offense that is capable of scoring 30 points a game every time they take the field.

NFLBRONCO
01-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Forget serviceable, this offense should be elite, top 10 at the very least. Why hire McDaniels if this isn't the goal in the long-term?

Eventually, I want to see a 2007 Patriots type offense that is capable of scoring 30 points a game every time they take the field.

No doubt I want an actual great offense not the overhyped offense we've had for years.

strafen
01-28-2010, 02:52 PM
This offense needs a player that can score from anywhere on the field. Someone who is a threat to score any time they touch the ball.

Right now it's too dependent on converting 3-4 third downs per drive to put together a TD drive.

I trust McDaniels' offense, but every NFL offense needs to have big plays mixed in with the efficient, move-the-chains variety of plays.This team is such a dysfunctional mess, that we're yet to see what the cummulative effect of what Mcdaniels' done since he's got here will be next season

Bronco CB40
01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
This team is such a dysfunctional mess, that we're yet to see what the cummulative effect of what Mcdaniels' done since he's got here will be next season

I am willing to give McDaniels the length of his contract (4 years) to show what he can do. Sometimes I wonder if he even values All-Pro talent. He comes across as someone who believes he can win without All-Pros.

Orton to Gaffney is not a Super Bowl winning combo. This franchise can do better.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-28-2010, 03:02 PM
I am willing to give McDaniels the length of his contract (4 years) to show what he can do. Sometimes I wonder if he even values All-Pro talent. He comes across as someone who believes he can win without All-Pros.

Orton to Gaffney is not a Super Bowl winning combo. This franchise can do better.

Yeah, I can't believe he would ship out all-pros like Boss Bailey and Niko Koutovides! What was he THINKING about?

Why isn't Marlon McCree here anymore? Guy was a stud!

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-28-2010, 03:04 PM
If Shanahan had been around for this past season, would Marshall have been on the team?

Doggcow
01-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Didn't they say we had no leverage and wouldn't get **** for Cutler?

Bronco CB40
01-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I can't believe he would ship out all-pros like Boss Bailey and Niko Koutovides! What was he THINKING about?

Why isn't Marlon McCree here anymore? Guy was a stud!

Chris Simms, LeKevin Smith, Ross Hochstein.

They are just depth guys anyway. Short-term fill-ins. Who cares?

Soul-Bronco
01-28-2010, 03:19 PM
“It seemed like Brandon wasn’t doing the things necessary for every player on the team to do to make us successful.” - Champ Bailey on Marshall after the benching.

http://broncotalk.net/2010/01/13405/...hall-benching/ (http://broncotalk.net/2010/01/13405/...hall-benching/)

This is all i need to know, the whiners can try and spin this as much as they want, but marshall dug his own grave in Denver

DenverBrit
01-28-2010, 03:28 PM

Whomever Orton locks in on.....it worked with Gaffney last game.

tsiguy96
01-28-2010, 03:30 PM
i just want everyone to know how much you should put into dragsters opinion: he just said it wouldnt surprise him if a player beat up the coach.

strafen
01-28-2010, 03:37 PM
i just want everyone to know how much you should put into dragsters opinion: he just said it wouldnt surprise him if a player beat up the coach.

at the rate things are going, and the way he keeps pissing people off and stalling their careers, yes, somebody will eventualli bitch-slap him...

strafen
01-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Whomever Orton locks in on.....it worked with Gaffney last game.except that when they figured that out, that's when Orton started to throw interceptions.
Just wanted to make sure you didn't overlook that little fact there... :thumbsup:

tsiguy96
01-28-2010, 03:39 PM
at the rate things are going, and the way he keeps pissing people off and stalling their careers, yes, somebody will eventualli b****-slap him...

:spit:

HEAV
01-28-2010, 03:42 PM

This message is hidden because dragster69 is on your ignore list. :yayaya:

DenverBrit
01-28-2010, 03:43 PM
except that when they figured that out, that's when Orton started to throw interceptions.
Just wanted to make sure you didn't overlook that little fact there... :thumbsup:

Curious.

Are you saying that had Marshall been in the game, that would never have happened?

Baba Booey
01-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Happy trails, dickhead. I just hope we get a first at the absolute least for this guy.

broncos-rock
01-28-2010, 03:48 PM
This team is such a dysfunctional mess, that we're yet to see what the cummulative effect of what Mcdaniels' done since he's got here will be next season

What makes it dysfunctional? I don't understand that statement is it because the coach makes all of the decisions? I am honestly trying to understand not being rude or anything!

montrose
01-28-2010, 04:18 PM

I agree that I'd love an elite offense in the long-term, I was moreso speaking to next year. I believe an offense begins and ends in the trenches - even moreso than at the QB position. I think it's going to be tough to get the OL to that level in one season, but I have hope for it to happen in time.

One note on your comment about why to hire McDaniels. I remember saying this so many times during the interview process - you hire the guy who is the best HC. Not the best OC or DC, but the best HC. Whether McD is that guy or not remains to be seen but I wouldn't have hired him to "make us a top offense" but rather to make us a great team. Just my opinion but that's why I see guys like Reid and Harbaugh who were never even coordinators as successfull HCs, they have the make of strong HCs.

BroncoMan4ever
01-28-2010, 04:21 PM
absolutely.

i say let him have fun in FA. let him talk to a bunch of teams. the more teams that talk to him, the more likely at least 1 team will be willing to fork over the 1st and 3rd required to take him when we tender him high.

i don't want to see us just give him away because he is a pain in the ass.

ZachKC
01-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Didn't they say we had no leverage and wouldn't get **** for Cutler?

I am sure someone said something because its the internet...but no, I wouldn't say that was an opinion any large contingent of people had.

cousinal11
01-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Aside from the obvious, finding a way to replace his production, my biggest concern is if Bowlen is willing to pay 2 1st round picks.

tsiguy96
01-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Aside from the obvious, finding a way to replace his production, my biggest concern is if Bowlen is willing to pay 2 1st round picks.

most 1st round picks are not expensive. the top 7 is where it stops, except every year an agent tries to get the next pick in the record breaker area, so this year top 8 may be crazy high.

rastaman
01-28-2010, 05:47 PM

McD doesn't need any playmakers.

rastaman
01-28-2010, 05:56 PM
i say let him have fun in FA. let him talk to a bunch of teams. the more teams that talk to him, the more likely at least 1 team will be willing to fork over the 1st and 3rd required to take him when we tender him high.

i don't want to see us just give him away because he is a pain in the ass.

Teams may back off trading for BMarsh in 010 just so the entire NFL can sit back and watch the McD--Bmarsh soap opera Drama affair. Imagine both player and HC playing mind games with each other for the entire season. Won't that be great.

Bowlen and McD had better not get too greedy with their demands and perhaps compromise with just one 1st round pick to get rid of their Cancer.

If Bmarsh is a Bronco in 010 and doesn't have stellar Pro Bowl season and his relationshp festers with McD all season....then the question I have in 2011 what can the Broncos get for Brandon then? Its probably best McD-Bowlen cut their losses and get what they get for Bmarsh in 010 and just move on.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-28-2010, 06:23 PM
at the rate things are going, and the way he keeps pissing people off and stalling their careers, yes, somebody will eventualli b****-slap him...

Something tells me your girlfriend bitch-slaps you all the time.

gtown
01-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Marshall is elite talent on a team with very little of it. Bowlen and McD need to swallow their pride and pay him, even though he is a jerkoff. We will never get anywhere near fair value for him via trade. And for those out there advocating picking Dez Bryant with a top fifteen pick, here are the WRs from the last few drafts in the top 15.

Darrius Heyward Bay Hilarious! Michael Crabtree (Ehh....) Calvin Johnson :strong: Ted Ginn (Ehh....) Braylon Edwards (Ehh....) Troy Williamson (Who Dat?) Mike Williams Hilarious! Larry Fitzgerald :strong: Roy Williams (Ehh....) Reggie Williams (Who Dat?) Lee Evans (Ehh....) Michael Clayton (Who Dat?) Charles Rogers Hilarious! Andre Johnson :strong:

That's 14 WRs: 3 are all-pros, 5 are good players, 3 of them are who dat, and 3 were Raider/Lion mistakes.

So if we trade Marshall, it's about 50% that we will get a good player, and about 20% that we will get an All-Pro at Marshall's level. Not good odds.

Popps
01-28-2010, 06:30 PM
except that when they figured that out, that's when Orton started to throw interceptions.

Orton's INTs in that game were not on throws to Gaffney.

Could you just get one thing right, ever?

Could you just post ONE thing that's not totally ****ing wrong?

gyldenlove
01-28-2010, 06:43 PM

Could you just post ONE thing that's not totally ****ing wrong?

That is a good point, they were thrown to Derrick Johnson.

watermock
01-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Really? Kinda odd (and retarded) statement considering that we just had a thread started here today with Brian Dawkins stating his support for McDaniels.

How amusing.

Dawkins left Philly for 1 reason, money. He'll cash in on his contract after this year and retire a Eagle in 12 months.

He allready said money decided it. Jesus.

Requiem
01-29-2010, 07:24 AM
As long as our next #1 gets over 150 targets a year, he'll put up just as good numbers. ;)

dbfan21
01-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Brandon Marshall's leaving Denver? Well then...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2bRjbWV7T-s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2bRjbWV7T-s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The fun begins at 0:50 :yayaya:

Rohirrim
01-29-2010, 07:44 AM
I would like to keep Marshall too, but I also understand he's one infraction away from taking a half-season off. Who cares how much talent he has if he's watching the games on TV?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-29-2010, 07:47 AM
How amusing.

Dawkins left Philly for 1 reason, money. He'll cash in on his contract after this year and retire a Eagle in 12 months.

He allready said money decided it. Jesus.

True. Except that it's completely false.

"(McD) had me drinking the orange kool-aid." That, Mock, is a direct quote.

Durango
01-29-2010, 11:09 AM
absolutely.

I don't mean to offend, I really don't, but there is absolutely no way Denver will get anything even remotely close to two first round picks for Marshall. You draftnik people know much more about all this than me, but even in my somewhat ignorant position about the matter, I would gauge his current value at MAYBE a late 2nd, or perhaps a 2nd and 4th in 2011 or '12. Hell, the ways things ended this last season with Brandon, and my admitted disdain for this current Bronco regime, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him shuffled off for a 3rd.

Beantown Bronco
01-29-2010, 11:19 AM
it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him shuffled off for a 3rd.

Funniest thing I've seen since The Hangover.

montrose
01-29-2010, 11:37 AM
As long as our next #1 gets over 150 targets a year, he'll put up just as good numbers. ;)

Brandon is targeted quite a bit. As a reference, here are last season's targets with the per game averages since Marshall and Eddie didn't play a full 16:

Marshall = 154 Targets (10.2 per game)
Gaffney = 96 Targets (6 per game)
Royal = 79 Targets (5.6 per game)

strafen
01-29-2010, 11:43 AM

Could you just post ONE thing that's not totally ****ing wrong?That's precisely my point, moron!
When they took Gaffney away, he was forced to look elsewhere.

underrated29
01-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Marshall is elite talent on a team with very little of it. Bowlen and McD need to swallow their pride and pay him, even though he is a jerkoff. We will never get anywhere near fair value for him via trade. And for those out there advocating picking Dez Bryant with a top fifteen pick, here are the WRs from the last few drafts in the top 15.

Darrius Heyward Bay Hilarious! Michael Crabtree (Ehh....) Calvin Johnson :strong: Ted Ginn (Ehh....) Braylon Edwards (Ehh....) Troy Williamson (Who Dat?) Mike Williams Hilarious! Larry Fitzgerald :strong: Roy Williams (Ehh....) Reggie Williams (Who Dat?) Lee Evans (Ehh....) Michael Clayton (Who Dat?) Charles Rogers Hilarious! Andre Johnson :strong:

That's 14 WRs: 3 are all-pros, 5 are good players, 3 of them are who dat, and 3 were Raider/Lion mistakes.

So if we trade Marshall, it's about 50% that we will get a good player, and about 20% that we will get an All-Pro at Marshall's level. Not good odds.

I would not say Lee evans is an ehhh... He is a stud, just never has a QB to throw him the football. The rest I agree with.......

Except as for Dez, I see him comparing closely to Fitz and Andre... Maye not quite as good as both, but maybe he will be. He does also return punts.

However, I will say that Demarious Thomas, IMO is a Marshall Clone and he can be had in the 2nd. Thomas will be a little faster than Marshall, but maybe not quite as good as breaking tackles, although few are as good as brandon at it.

SportinOne
01-29-2010, 11:50 AM
look at what detroit got for Roy Williams.

Brandon Marshall is better than Williams.

The only way we don't walk away from this scenario without a 1st and a 3rd is if we trade for a proven NFL player, and a good one at that.

Unless McDaniels seriously screws up, an outcome to which i put a 25% chance on.

gyldenlove
01-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Brandon is targeted quite a bit. As a reference, here are last season's targets with the per game averages since Marshall and Eddie didn't play a full 16:

Marshall = 154 Targets (10.2 per game)
Gaffney = 96 Targets (6 per game)
Royal = 79 Targets (5.6 per game)

Based on those numbers I calculated the relative index numbers for the major recieving stats for all 3 players this year.

Gaffney is higher in yards and 1st downs than he is in targets relative to Marshall, but lower in catches and TDs. Royal really underperformed and is lower in yards, catches, TDs and 1st downs compared to targets.

strafen
01-29-2010, 12:04 PM
We will never find a replacement for Marshall, ever!
I don't like his off-the-field antics, nobody does, and that's where he's at risk, not only for himself, but for our team.
Now, I know Marshall is doing his best to stay away from amking the headlines for the wrong reasons.
I personally like to wait for this off-season to come close to proclaim Marshall is a changed man.
That said, he's learned a lot this past year. I think we the trade of Cutler, and all the chaoes that went on, that he might feel he needs to stay under the radar.
One thing about Marshall is that once the season starts, it's all business for him.
His production in the last 3 years speak for itself.
Get a new QB, show him the money, and he might be even better as a person and as a player.
The kind of production we've got from Marshall at the price we paid him, is a freakin' bargain.
Do we want to keep getting that kind of production, then pay him accordingly.

again, I understand his BS acts off-the-field. There's no question that's his biggest problem. It's up to the Broncos organization to put together a new contract that would address those concerns when the time comes to sign it.
That would protect the Broncos, and that would keep Marshall in line...

bowtown
01-29-2010, 12:11 PM
again, I understand his BS acts off-the-field. There's no question that's his biggest problem. It's up to the Broncos organization to put together a new contract that would address those concerns when the time comes to sign it.
That would protect the Broncos, and that would keep Marshall in line...

Marshall won't sign a contract like that.

Beantown Bronco
01-29-2010, 12:44 PM
We will never find a replacement for Marshall, ever!

There are over a dozen other guys in the league right now who do what he does on the field.

strafen
01-29-2010, 12:51 PM
There are over a dozen other guys in the league right now who do what he does on the field.Yup, but neither one is playing for us, so what are you saying?

Beantown Bronco
01-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Yup, but neither one is playing for us, so what are you saying?

Neither one? I said a dozen.

Regardless, here's what I mean: He is not one of a kind. He is replaceable. You know, the exact opposite of what you just said.

underrated29
01-29-2010, 01:12 PM
We will never find a replacement for Marshall, ever!...

Look no further than late first/second round WR - Demarious Thomas.

Marshall Clone! through and through, balls to bones.

Garcia Bronco
01-29-2010, 01:24 PM
That is what I am saying....

If Denver trades him for a 2nd, we are the dumbest team in the NFL.

This is what I would do....

Tender him for the high tender of a first and a 3rd. Wait for him to work out a deal with a team, and when a team signs him to an offer sheet and sets the contract amount, I start shopping him to other teams in the attempt to get more. If we get offered more than a 1st and a 3rd then we match and then trade him to that team. Brandon might not like it, but Denver holds the cards here.

I'd trade him to Saint Louis for their number 1 and give them our11/10 pick and take a boy named suh.

Garcia Bronco
01-29-2010, 01:25 PM

Regardless, here's what I mean: He is not one of a kind. He is replaceable. You know, the exact opposite of what you just said.

Well done. Everyone can be replaced.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Marshall won't sign a contract like that.

And the union would never go for it. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

jhns
01-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Based on those numbers I calculated the relative index numbers for the major recieving stats for all 3 players this year.

Gaffney is higher in yards and 1st downs than he is in targets relative to Marshall, but lower in catches and TDs. Royal really underperformed and is lower in yards, catches, TDs and 1st downs compared to targets.

The one thing you will never be able to show with this kind of talk is the following: What do these guys do as a number one if teams game planned for them like they did Marshall. Sure, their stats per attempt could look good comparable to Marshall(not that I'm saying these do) but they were also not nearly as much of the defenses focus as Marshall. That even goes for when Gaffney played 1 in week 17. If they have to do it for a full season and be depended on, it will be much harder for them to keep up.

ColoradoBuff
01-29-2010, 01:56 PM
frankly, i'd rather see him clean up the bs and stay. The dude has rare talent. But if there is no alternative, i'd trade him straight up for the pick that gets us iaputi or dan williams.

+1

DenverBrit
01-29-2010, 01:59 PM
And the union would never go for it. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

Exactly.

strafen
01-29-2010, 03:19 PM

Regardless, here's what I mean: He is not one of a kind. He is replaceable. You know, the exact opposite of what you just said.Replaceable by who?
Who is going to replace his 100+ catches a season?
He's not one of a kind, but he's not a dime a dozen either.
Look, you guys need to stop throwing anybody who has problems with McDaniels under the bus. This looks so freakin' stupid it knows no boundaries.
For you to casually say we can get rid of Marshall and find a replacement for him exudes the same arrogance McDaniels does, and now it's been carried on by McDaniels fans.
I can care less about McDaniels, the guy is destroying my team, I don't want him.
I'm a Broncos fan, not a member of the Mcdaniels cult sect

Florida_Bronco
01-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Replaceable by who?
Who is going to replace his 100+ catches a season? You realize Marshall isn't the only guy to ever catch 100+ passes in a season, right?

He's not one of a kind, but he's not a dime a dozen either. And he's a major locker room problem as well.

Look, you guys need to stop throwing anybody who has problems with McDaniels, Bailey, Dawkins and Graham under the bus. This looks so freakin' stupid it knows no boundaries. Fixed.

For you to casually say we can get rid of Marshall and find a replacement for him exudes the same arrogance McDaniels does, and now it's been carried on by McDaniels fans. It's not arrogance. It's recognizing that Marshall has problems that potentially out weigh his on the field production.

I can care less about McDaniels, the guy is destroying my team, I don't want him. 8-8 during a total rebuild, matching the record from the year before under Shanahan.

bowtown
01-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Replaceable by who?
Look, you guys need to stop throwing anybody who has problems with McDaniels under the bus. This looks so freakin' stupid it knows no boundaries.
For you to casually say we can get rid of Marshall and find a replacement for him exudes the same arrogance McDaniels does, and now it's been carried on by McDaniels fans.
I can care less about McDaniels, the guy is destroying my team, I don't want him.

Marshall's problems and his contract issues have little to do with McDaniels. They were around before McDaniels got here and they would still be an issue if McDaniels were fired today. You are the only one who is trying to tie it directly to McDaniels because you have an obession with hating him and loading everything bad that happens to his team--and in your life in general-- on his shoulders.

SportinOne
01-29-2010, 09:21 PM
100 Reception Club: By Year
2009: Welker, S. Smith, A. Johnson, B. Marshall, Reggie Wayne
2008: A. Johnson, Welker, B. Marshall
2007: Housh, Welker, Wayne, Mason, Marshall, Fitz
2006: A. Johnson
2005: S. Smith, Fitz, Holt, Boldin
2004: No WR with 100
2003: Holt, Moss, Boldin

In the past 5 seasons, only 9 different players have caught 100 balls in a season.

In his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seasons, Marshall has done it every year.

He is the youngest player you will see on the above list.

Get a f'ing clue.

SportinOne
01-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Marshall's problems and his contract issues have little to do with McDaniels. They were around before McDaniels got here and they would still be an issue if McDaniels were fired today. You are the only one who is trying to tie it directly to McDaniels because you have an obession with hating him and loading everything bad that happens to his team--and in your life in general-- on his shoulders.

Off the field, he's always had issues. But, until this year, Marshall always showed up when we played the games. He had one little issue in PRE SEASON with Shanahan and then went on to post a great regular season.

My problem with McDaniels is that he seems to get more enjoyment out of winning pissing contests than he does in getting the most out of his players.

Cue: "this is hard knocks, old school football. You have to lay down the law in order to look good while going 8-8.."

SonOfLe-loLang
01-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Replaceable by who?

I agree with you to a point. He's not replaceable, so dont try to replace him. If you're hellbent on trading a guy like Brandon for a couple of picks (and one better be a first), reshape your football team to a different style. Use the pick to rebuild your lines. It makes zero sense to trade away your probowl receiver for a guy you hope, one day, will be a pro bowl receiver.

SportinOne
01-29-2010, 10:21 PM
I agree with you to a point. He's not replaceable, so dont try to replace him. If you're hellbent on trading a guy like Brandon for a couple of picks (and one better be a first), reshape your football team to a different style. Use the pick to rebuild your lines. It makes zero sense to trade away your probowl receiver for a guy you hope, one day, will be a pro bowl receiver.

This has merit. I would rather see Marshall as a Denver Bronco, Gaffney at #2 while he is still productive, and Royal UTILIZED as a strong force in the slot with Stokely and McKinnley pitching in. However, regarding Royal, it's tough to say whether:

A. Royal's lack of production was due to a sophomore slump, or
B. Orton just isn't the kind of QB that is going to provide a big season for more than 1 receiver, or
C. McDaniels had chances to use him but chose other receivers, or
D. The system was very new, so he just got lost by the wayside for no apparent reason, or
E. A combination of two or all of the above.

With that said, I think he can be a great slot receiver. He's already proven as a #2 with a decent QB behind center. I just think he'd be even better in the slot. #3 CB or sometimes a LB on him, that's a matchup in favor of us, obviously.