PDA

View Full Version : Holmgren doesn't expect both Anderson and Quinn to be in camp

TonyR
01-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 28, 2010 11:39 AM ET

Mike Holmgren has been given plenty of chances to back Brady Quinn this offseason, but he says it's too early in the process to call Quinn a starter.

It's not too early for Holmgren to declare that either Quinn or Derek Anderson will likely be elsewhere before training camp.

"I won't tell you that right now," Holmgren said Wednesday on the Dan Patrick Show. "They're both here right now. We'll see how it goes. I'm not a big believer in that competition stuff. We better make up our mind before we go to camp and then put our resources into one guy."

Anderson's roster bonus in March and high base salary makes him the more likely trade candidate. Quinn's foot injury, however, could potentially keep him off the field in early OTAs.

Holmgren may not believe in competition, but we suspect he'll be bringing in a quarterback of his own that could be an option down the line. To this stage, neither Quinn nor Anderson has looked like a quarterback to put all of Cleveland's resources into.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/28/holmgren-doesnt-expect-both-anderson-and-quinn-to-be-in-camp/

Do we add Anderson and/or Quinn to the "potential Orton competition/replacement" list?

Doggcow
01-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Not bad, I'll take Derek Anderson for sure.

dbfan21
01-28-2010, 11:16 AM
No. I would rather have Orton with his knowledge of the system, his leadership, locker room camaraderie, and rapport with McD.

Anderson and/or Quinn can find work in Oakland, St. Louis, Seattle or maybe Carolina or Washington depending on their situations.

SouthStndJunkie
01-28-2010, 11:27 AM
I would rather have Kyle Orton over Derek Anderson....and I am not a fan of Kyle Orton.

SouthStndJunkie
01-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Derek Anderson is one of the most inaccurate passers that I have ever seen on the NFL level.

His career completion percentage is 52.9%.

Last year his completion percentage was 44.5%.

Jason in LA
01-28-2010, 11:30 AM
I'll take Orton over Anderson too, which pretty much means that Anderson is just not good.

Drek
01-28-2010, 11:30 AM
No. I would rather have Orton with his knowledge of the system, his leadership, locker room camaraderie, and rapport with McD.

Anderson and/or Quinn can find work in Oakland, St. Louis, Seattle or maybe Carolina or Washington depending on their situations.

McDaniels will bring in another QB to compete, that is almost a given.

If either Quinn or Kevin O'Connell hit the market he'll pursue them. If he can't get either one of them he'll likely draft another mid-rounder.

I don't think Chris Simms is long for this team. Brandstater will probably push him for the #2 role next season even if we don't add a QB. Someone like Quinn or O'Connell could actually challenge Orton and ideally get the best out of him.

gyldenlove
01-28-2010, 11:36 AM
I would rather have a full body cavity search from a dude with enormous hands than see Anderson or Quinn in a Broncos uniform.

DenverBrit
01-28-2010, 11:41 AM
I would rather have a full body cavity search from a dude with enormous hands than see Anderson or Quinn in a Broncos uniform.

Ok, but you're late to the party. ;D

http://dailyblabber.ivillage.com/entertainment/michaeljackson1.jpg

Beantown Bronco
01-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Funny you should say that. There are some Internet pics of Quinn pretty much doing this very thing with a group of guys.

TheReverend
01-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 28, 2010 11:39 AM ET

Mike Holmgren has been given plenty of chances to back Brady Quinn this offseason, but he says it's too early in the process to call Quinn a starter.

It's not too early for Holmgren to declare that either Quinn or Derek Anderson will likely be elsewhere before training camp.

"I won't tell you that right now," Holmgren said Wednesday on the Dan Patrick Show. "They're both here right now. We'll see how it goes. I'm not a big believer in that competition stuff. We better make up our mind before we go to camp and then put our resources into one guy."

Anderson's roster bonus in March and high base salary makes him the more likely trade candidate. Quinn's foot injury, however, could potentially keep him off the field in early OTAs.

Holmgren may not believe in competition, but we suspect he'll be bringing in a quarterback of his own that could be an option down the line. To this stage, neither Quinn nor Anderson has looked like a quarterback to put all of Cleveland's resources into.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/28/holmgren-doesnt-expect-both-anderson-and-quinn-to-be-in-camp/

Do we add Anderson and/or Quinn to the "potential Orton competition/replacement" list?

Probably not. With as deep as this draft looks, anything higher than a 4th isn't worth it, imo.

BroncoMan4ever
01-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Not bad, I'll take Derek Anderson for sure.

you would be fine with Orton gone and Anderson here?

we talk about Orton's mobility all the time here about how his lack of is a problem, but Anderson makes Orton look like Usain Bolt.

on the other hand, i wouldn't be upset with sending a 4th to Cleveland for Quinn. at the worst he is a solid backup and an improvement over Simms.

bendog
01-28-2010, 12:13 PM
I'd like to give lil josh a full cavity search. it's pitiful but I really don't think anderson would be an upgrade. It's pitiful that we have to even consider that question.

DenverBrit
01-28-2010, 12:16 PM
I'd like to give lil josh a full cavity search. it's pitiful but I really don't think anderson would be an upgrade. It's pitiful that we have to even consider that question.

By 'we' do you mean you/fans or the Broncos?

boppool
01-29-2010, 12:40 PM
I'll take Simms over Anderson...

Popps
01-29-2010, 12:42 PM
I just haven't seen any indication that either one of those QBs would be more effective at running our offense than the one we have right now.

If we're going to try to make a QB upgrade, we need to really go all out and either get an established QB, or draft and take the time to develop a guy.

dbfan21
01-29-2010, 12:55 PM
McDaniels will bring in another QB to compete, that is almost a given.

If either Quinn or Kevin O'Connell hit the market he'll pursue them. If he can't get either one of them he'll likely draft another mid-rounder.

I don't think Chris Simms is long for this team. Brandstater will probably push him for the #2 role next season even if we don't add a QB. Someone like Quinn or O'Connell could actually challenge Orton and ideally get the best out of him.

Agreed on Simms. He just never rebounded from his surgery. I honestly didn't think a whole lot of him while he was a Buc...or Longhorn for that matter. I think the jury is still way out of Tommy B. I know we'd like him to be the heir apparent, but I need to see more of this guy in action in order to get a solid read.

Whoever we bring in (whether it's a draft pcik or FA pickup), he better be able to step in and run the offense. Simms was a trainwreck against Washington and SD. Ugggh!

Pony Boy
01-29-2010, 01:11 PM
"This is like deja vu all over again."

Florida_Bronco
01-29-2010, 02:17 PM
I just haven't seen any indication that either one of those QBs would be more effective at running our offense than the one we have right now.

If we're going to try to make a QB upgrade, we need to really go all out and either get an established QB, or draft and take the time to develop a guy.

I'd take Quinn in a heartbeat. He's got alot of talent and played college ball in a very similar offense to what McDaniels runs. If we could get him (or Kevin O'Connell) and let them sit behind Orton this year and then compete with him and Brandstater in 2011, that would be ideal IMO.