PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins on McD: "I'm behind him."

Pseudofool
01-28-2010, 08:12 AM
PFT

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 28, 2010 9:48 AM ET

Many league observers thought Denver overpaid to bring Brian Dawkins in last offseason. The Broncos surely feel their money was well spent after the 36-year-old put together a Pro Bowl season with the Broncos.

Now Dawkins will have to learn another scheme. Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan is gone, but Dawkins says he trusts his head coach.

"If that's where Josh feels like that's we need to go in order for us to take the next step, to be on the same page, then that's what I'm willing to do," Dawkins said on NFL Network. "I told [Josh] and I'll tell you guys, I'm behind him. If he made that decision, there's a reason why he made it, I trust him, and whoever he brings in as a defensive coordinator, he's going to have Brian Dawkins on his side."

At this stage, Broncos linebackers coach Dean Martindale looks like the favorite to get the coordinator job. Whoever gets the gig will have an easier time winning over the locker room with Dawkins in his corner.

oubronco
01-28-2010, 08:15 AM
I am so glad Dawkins is on our team

dbfan21
01-28-2010, 08:18 AM
I like the fact that Dawkins is vocalizing his support. Being such a leader in the locker room, it will help influence some of the younger guys that they need to trust the decision the coaching staff and FO make and understand they are doing these things in the best interest of the team.

I, for one, would hate to be a week or two before the season and see Nolan leave due to a conflict with McD. That happened (HC/Coordinator conflict) with Tampa Bay, KC and Buffalo this past year and I don't remember any of those teams doing well in 2009.

Br0nc0Buster
01-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Best FA signing in a while for Denver

Pseudofool
01-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Best FA signing in a while for Denver
I'm hard pressed to think of a better one in my lifetime.

Mountain Bronco
01-28-2010, 08:29 AM
^^^ Lynch was another great one.

LonghornBronco
01-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Brandon should take a page out of Dawkins book

Kaylore
01-28-2010, 08:37 AM
The Broncos defensive coordinator position has become our defense against the dark arts position at Hogwarts.

kamakazi_kal
01-28-2010, 08:45 AM
what a joke ..... what the hell do you expect Dawk to say? everything is positive yeahhhhh the offseason.

Pseudofool
01-28-2010, 08:46 AM
^^^ Lynch was another great one.

Touche'

Pseudofool
01-28-2010, 08:47 AM
what a joke ..... what the hell do you expect Dawk to say? everything is positive yeahhhhh the offseason.
He could say nothing. And he certainly didn't have to offer a defense or explanation for McD's decision to cut ties with Nolan.

PRBronco
01-28-2010, 08:59 AM

Lol, I wondered how long it would take the "what else is he going to say" crowd to get here.

It matters not what you think.

Rabb
01-28-2010, 09:07 AM

he could just not say anything

and why is this even an issue?

kamakazi_kal
01-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Sorry all, I just hate all the offseason fluff articles. Just bummed to be watching other teams this time of year.

Paladin
01-28-2010, 09:09 AM
OH, NO!!!!! Whatever happened to the locker room unrest and revolts? The disention? The grumblings? The assumptions? The hopes for losses?

Gosh, whatever will we do without all the drama?

kamakazi_kal
01-28-2010, 09:16 AM
OH, NO!!!!! Whatever happened to the locker room unrest and revolts? The disention? The grumblings? The assumptions? The hopes for losses?

Gosh, whatever will we do without all the drama?

The draft is right around the corner.:D

TheReverend
01-28-2010, 09:19 AM
This is a summary of an NFL network interview with Dawkins at the pro-bowl from yesterday. I watched it. Very good.

The man's definitely a pro. He avoided every question about any controversial issue with the "I'm behind him mantra."

When asked about the benching of Brandon Marshall in week 17, he DID elaborate. He said he was behind the coaches decisions on what he feels is best to win and that whoever the boss is (Bowlen and McDaniels) he wants them to be aware that Brian Dawkins is on their side. Then he explained that some of the decisions made he hasn't agreed with but that's for discussion behind closed doors and not for the public.

I'm sure if the not agreeing on some of Josh's decisions was coincidentally answered lumped in with the Brandon Marshall situation or not.

Regardless, it was a great interview with a pro's pro.

Popps
01-28-2010, 09:22 AM

http://canuckjihad.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/crybaby.png?w=300&h=425

broncofan7
01-28-2010, 09:48 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-pro-bowl/09000d5d815fff48/Brian-Dawkins-on-set

Binkythefrog
01-28-2010, 09:52 AM

Ed McCaffrey and Mark Schlereth were pretty good as well.. back when the Broncos won the Super Bowl because of a certain 6th round draft pick and other free agent signings (Romonowski, Griffith, Neil Smith, Alfred Williams etc.)

WolfpackGuy
01-28-2010, 09:56 AM
No surprise that Dawkins is toeing the party line as he doesn't want to rock the boat.

Not too many soon to be 37 year old safeties making the money he is.

But he's still a helluva pickup.

SportinOne
01-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Great signing, love Dawkins. But how much longer is he actually going to play? What happens when he's gone in, more than likely, a year?

SureShot
01-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Why would a team that is on the rise need its defensive captain to state he is behind the HC?

Drek
01-28-2010, 10:14 AM
http://canuckjihad.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/crybaby.png?w=300&h=425

I'd assume you didn't see this post:

Sorry all, I just hate all the offseason fluff articles. Just bummed to be watching other teams this time of year.

But I have a hard time imagining that it took you 13 minutes to find one picture.

Why you got to keep pushing the offensive? People are entitled to their opinions and that was about the most mild outburst of irritation we've had on here. This is exactly the kind of sidetracking bull**** that ruins 90% of the football related threads on here.

colonelbeef
01-28-2010, 10:17 AM

Easy. Gary Zimmerman

Dagmar
01-28-2010, 10:30 AM

But I have a hard time imagining that it took you 13 minutes to find one picture.

Why you got to keep pushing the offensive? People are entitled to their opinions and that was about the most mild outburst of irritation we've had on here. This is exactly the kind of sidetracking bull**** that ruins 90% of the football related threads on here..

Why would a team that is on the rise need its defensive captain to state he is behind the HC?

No surprise that Dawkins is toeing the party line as he doesn't want to rock the boat.

Drek
01-28-2010, 10:35 AM

All posts made after Popps' foray into mudslinging.

Prior to that oubronco and Rev, two outspoken McDaniels critics, gave legitimate opinions with no inherent bias. Kal (another oft-outspoken McD critic) made something of a rash statement that he then retracted.

Thread was going fine until someone decided to pick up the first clot of soil.

At some point the vocal minorities on both sides need to stop acting like this is a political forum and elevate the discussion beyond the online equivalent of playground name calling.

jhns
01-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Dawkins is a great team player and will only let the media hear what the media should hear. He could teach this front office a lot.

Ironlung
01-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Every dictionary should have a photo of BDawk by the word class.

oubronco
01-28-2010, 10:52 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-pro-bowl/09000d5d815fff48/Brian-Dawkins-on-set

Man I had to take a double look at first I thought Dawkins was wearing a Raiders sockhat

Tankgunner95
01-28-2010, 10:54 AM

Neil Smith helped us win 2 superbowls, he filled a hole that we needed badly. IMO, plus it pissed KC fans off which I loved!

oubronco
01-28-2010, 10:54 AM

Why you got to keep pushing the offensive? People are entitled to their opinions and that was about the most mild outburst of irritation we've had on here. This is exactly the kind of sidetracking bull**** that ruins 90% of the football related threads on here.

Amen Brotha

tsiguy96
01-28-2010, 10:59 AM

because they probably asked "are you behind mcdaniels?"

jhns
01-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Neil Smith helped us win 2 superbowls, he filled a whole that we needed badly. IMO, plus it pissed KC fans off which I loved!

Neil Smith is one of my favorite players. He is the first Bronco I ever met in person. It was at an Applebees and he signed some stuff for me and gave me some cheese sticks. I don't know what this has to do with anything but I'm not exactly the stay on topic type.

BroncoMan4ever
01-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Great signing, love Dawkins. But how much longer is he actually going to play? What happens when he's gone in, more than likely, a year?

Bruton, Barrett and McBath are there being groomed by him and Hill, so that in a year or 2 when those guys are either retiring or no longer playing well enough to continue as starters, one of those 3 young guys will step in and take over. that is how the Pats work. get some experienced vets to come in for a year or 2 and have some young guys learn from them and then take their jobs.

Drek
01-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Bruton, Barrett and McBath are there being groomed by him and Hill, so that in a year or 2 when those guys are either retiring or no longer playing well enough to continue as starters, one of those 3 young guys will step in and take over. that is how the Pats work. get some experienced vets to come in for a year or 2 and have some young guys learn from them and then take their jobs.

A big key to that most people never talk about is that the Pats often let the youngsters see reps in the 1's v. 1's scrimmages. More than a few times when a young guy steps into to fill a hole with success you hear Belichick or another coach talk about all the great plays they saw him making vs. the first team in practice, so they had faith he could do it on game day.

I'm happy to say that it seems like we've brought that tradition over here. McBath has shown a lot for such a short career, primarily.

SoDak Bronco
01-28-2010, 11:51 AM
He's no IHOP Darryl Gardner but this Dawkins is a pretty good cat.

Inkana7
01-28-2010, 11:52 AM
The Broncos defensive coordinator position has become our defense against the dark arts position at Hogwarts.

Best. Reference. Ever.

Taco John
01-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Easy. Gary Zimmerman

WHile I'm a very big fan of the Dawkins signing, if I were to pick the best FA signing of all time, Zimmerman would be my number one. Howard Griffith my #2. And Eddie McCaffrey my #3. Niel Smith #4. Alfred Williams #5.

Not trying to take anything away from Dawkins at all here. He's a stud, and if we win a Superbowl with him, I'll be hard pressed not to find a spot for him in the top 5.

HEAV
01-28-2010, 12:08 PM
WHile I'm a very big fan of the Dawkins signing, if I were to pick the best FA signing of all time, Zimmerman would be my number one. Howard Griffith my #2. And Eddie McCaffrey my #3. Niel Smith #4. Alfred Williams #5.

Not trying to take anything away from Dawkins at all here. He's a stud, and if we win a Superbowl with him, I'll be hard pressed not to find a spot for him in the top 5.

Zimmer wasn't a free agent. He was traded for.

Play2win
01-28-2010, 12:56 PM
It seems to me that Dawkins is to our defense (and entire team) NOW, what Rod Smith was to our offense (and entire team) then.

In some ways, the similarities are remarkable.

Meck77
01-28-2010, 01:02 PM

Yeah no kidding. What kinda Superfan BS is dawkins trying to prove by supporting the coach.

bpc
01-28-2010, 01:28 PM
PFT

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 28, 2010 9:48 AM ET

Many league observers thought Denver overpaid to bring Brian Dawkins in last offseason. The Broncos surely feel their money was well spent after the 36-year-old put together a Pro Bowl season with the Broncos.

Now Dawkins will have to learn another scheme. Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan is gone, but Dawkins says he trusts his head coach.

"If that's where Josh feels like that's we need to go in order for us to take the next step, to be on the same page, then that's what I'm willing to do," Dawkins said on NFL Network. "I told [Josh] and I'll tell you guys, I'm behind him. If he made that decision, there's a reason why he made it, I trust him, and whoever he brings in as a defensive coordinator, he's going to have Brian Dawkins on his side."

At this stage, Broncos linebackers coach Dean Martindale looks like the favorite to get the coordinator job. Whoever gets the gig will have an easier time winning over the locker room with Dawkins in his corner.

Dawkins is one of the few guys that forces me to believe we'll pull out of this tailspin. Love the guy. Wish we could find him a lifetime contract and the fountain of youth.

Drek
01-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Dawkins is one of the few guys that forces me to believe we'll pull out of this tailspin. Love the guy. Wish we could find him a lifetime contract and the fountain of youth.

Its not much of a tailspin when we posted the same record as we did last year and a win better than we did in '07.

A tail spin would be if we went 5-11 or something with our few wins coming from Marshall making huge plays, only to now lose Marshall. That would be a tailspin.

Instead we've seen the beginnings of a promising defensive overhaul. Losing one DC doesn't change that, especially when an internal option is taking his place. We've also seen a massive change in offensive philosophy that produced nearly as many points as the high flying but ultimately ineffective offense of 2008.

If anything I'd say we're looking at an upward trajectory. How steep and where it levels off at has yet to be determined, but we basically started a full organizational rebuild last off-season and still went 8-8, beating some very good teams on the way.

baja
01-28-2010, 01:59 PM
This is a summary of an NFL network interview with Dawkins at the pro-bowl from yesterday. I watched it. Very good.

The man's definitely a pro. He avoided every question about any controversial issue with the "I'm behind him mantra."

When asked about the benching of Brandon Marshall in week 17, he DID elaborate. He said he was behind the coaches decisions on what he feels is best to win and that whoever the boss is (Bowlen and McDaniels) he wants them to be aware that Brian Dawkins is on their side. Then he explained that some of the decisions made he hasn't agreed with but that's for discussion behind closed doors and not for the public.

I'm sure if the not agreeing on some of Josh's decisions was coincidentally answered lumped in with the Brandon Marshall situation or not.

Regardless, it was a great interview with a pro's pro.

I'm goiung to have put you on ignore because of your avatar. I find it hidiously anoying and inapropiate. Too bad because I like reading your takes.

Jason7730
01-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Zimmer wasn't a free agent. He was traded for.

I was thinking the same thing. This was a great move by Josh.

Drek
01-28-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm goiung to have put you on ignore because of your avatar. I find it hidiously anoying and inapropiate. Too bad because I like reading your takes.

You can just shut off avatars, FYI.

I keep both avatars and sigs disabled all the time. I don't give two ****s about anyone's hobbies or whatnot, I just care about football takes. Board loads faster too.

Now for all I know you're joking and Rev just has some tasty little hottie for his av, but you got to sacrifice a little no matter what.

TheReverend
01-28-2010, 03:54 PM

While sheer elation was my initial reaction, you're probably and it's gotten old by now anyways. So I'm changing it.

bpc
01-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Its not much of a tailspin when we posted the same record as we did last year and a win better than we did in '07.

A tail spin would be if we went 5-11 or something with our few wins coming from Marshall making huge plays, only to now lose Marshall. That would be a tailspin.

Instead we've seen the beginnings of a promising defensive overhaul. Losing one DC doesn't change that, especially when an internal option is taking his place. We've also seen a massive change in offensive philosophy that produced nearly as many points as the high flying but ultimately ineffective offense of 2008.

If anything I'd say we're looking at an upward trajectory. How steep and where it levels off at has yet to be determined, but we basically started a full organizational rebuild last off-season and still went 8-8, beating some very good teams on the way.

Tailspin being 4 years of non-playoff football. I know, agenda apologists were quick to try to gun me down, but i'm just talking about the overall ineffectiveness of the Broncos. Settle down there my friend.

8-8, is 8-8... or 7-9... or whatever. It's all a failure if you're not competing for Championships. This year's team is not competing for a championship any better than last year, or the year before, or the year before. It's a rubix-cube of failure.

You can't say that the defensive base has been put in place YET, because the mastermind of the defense was just ejected by our very own HC and we're in essence starting over with a new voice. Martindale is also starting over, he's never been a defensive coordinator in the NFL and hardly in his coaching career. He's only been a DC for two universities, both I-AA at the time.

BIG STEP UP. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

Drek
01-28-2010, 04:42 PM
You can't say that the defensive base has been put in place YET, because the mastermind of the defense was just ejected by our very own HC and we're in essence starting over with a new voice. Martindale is also starting over, he's never been a defensive coordinator in the NFL and hardly in his coaching career. He's only been a DC for two universities, both I-AA at the time.

BIG STEP UP. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

The mastermind of the defense is the guy calling the shots in general, and he hasn't left yet.

This was Josh McDaniels defense in personnel, philosophy, and general scheme. It was Mike Nolan's defense in terms of week to week planning and game calling. The "mastermind" of the defensive turnaround isn't going anywhere.

As for Martindale, we'll see. But he's got a pretty solid resume as a positional coach. Last I checked a whole lot of guys stepping into the DC/OC role never had any previous work there at any level. In fact, Mike Nolan is just such a guy. One year as the LB coach at LSU, 5 as the LB coach here in Denver, and then he was the DC of the Giants for four years followed by three as the DC of the Redskins and one as the DC of the Jets.

Six years of high level (D1A or NFL) LB coach experience and suddenly he was a DC for eight straight years and a HC just two decades after he first became the LB coach at LSU.

That is the mountain for Martindale to climb. Not his own supposed lack of experience. Nolan is a standout defensive mind who found the right gig (Broncos LB coach) to launch his career. That is the looming shadow over Martindale now.

As for the whole tailspin thing, we basically scrapped the entirety of our team's offensive and defensive schemes in a single season yet we still finished 8-8. Did we end badly? Sure, but we also started pretty amazingly well. If the last four years where a tailspin this would seem more like the new pilot pulling us out of the nose dive and leveling the aircraft off.

Baba Booey
01-28-2010, 05:29 PM

But Dawkins, moreso than probably any other player, has been supportive of McDaniels from the beginning.

Dawkins isn't one to B.S. the media it seems.

broncswin
01-28-2010, 07:59 PM

Well he could say I don't like the ^&%$ this dumb &*&^%$#&&^^ has been pulling with my *&*&&*^% team!!!!!!!!!!!

And then he would say that we should be positive because it's the offseason

~Crash~
01-29-2010, 07:03 AM
for one thing Dawkins states if he has problems he would do it behind closed doors so come on this is space eater stuff.