PDA

View Full Version : The Apple iPad.

Pages : 1 [2] 3

snowspot66
04-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Again, they just passed Walmart and are closing on Microsoft. Looks like business is just fine.

I know my $86 stock has turned into $235 a share. :)

I'd sell before Jobs has another medical problem. He's single handedly propping that stock up just by existing. He could just be constipated and the stock holders would start to sweat.

Durango
04-06-2010, 12:36 AM
I don't understand this statement. My Mac has crashed more than any PC I've ever owned which is to say two or three times total. What are you people doing to your computers to make them **** up so much? I use some incredibly processor heavy programs and I don't have these massive problems.

What on earth are YOU doing to these computers? I've had two Macs in use every single day for four years and two newer models in use every single day for the last two years and none have ever crashed once. Not once. Not even a blip. I'm not advertising for Mac, I read all these people here narrating these horror stories about Macs and, while I'm sure Macs have their share of problems, I haven't had any and you do tend to patronize products that deliver for you. Right? It's amazing how people can view a type of machine as some kind of threat to their personal honor or something. Yikes.

snowspot66
04-06-2010, 12:55 AM
What on earth are YOU doing to these computers? I've had two Macs in use every single day for four years and two newer models in use every single day for the last two years and none have ever crashed once. Not once. Not even a blip. I'm not advertising for Mac, I read all these people here narrating these horror stories about Macs and, while I'm sure Macs have their share of problems, I haven't had any and you do tend to patronize products that deliver for you. Right? It's amazing how people can view a type of machine as some kind of threat to their personal honor or something. Yikes.

Photoshop and other Adobe products have given me the spinning wheel of death several times. Never crashed a PC though as crazy as that might sound. I think I've tripped my own power cord more times than I've had a PC die on me. Honestly, they are both very stable systems. They both come with a lot of stupid default programs and ****ty web browsers. They both can do whatever the other can.

Maybe that changes with the intensity of usage but I would bet the vast majority of people need less computer power than I do so I'm not sure what is perpetuating this stability issue idea. People act as if computers are dying left and right on a daily basis.

I think the fighting over the machines is just a remnant of when there were actual differences between the brands. Ten to fifteen years ago if you sat down at a PC and then a Mac it was a jarring shift. Not really much of a difference at all these days.

slyinky
04-06-2010, 03:33 AM
Any thoughts on the Notion Ink ADAM?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/57oE4ta8mP8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/57oE4ta8mP8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Meck77
04-06-2010, 04:43 AM
Tested one out. It crashed several times in just a few minutes. Very difficult to even type on. If you are thinking about buying one I'd wait for the next generation.

Play2win
04-06-2010, 04:56 AM
Tested one out. It crashed several times in just a few minutes. Very difficult to even type on. If you are thinking about buying one I'd wait for the next generation.

Exactly. I would wait on a generation or TWO. Though, eventually, I think they are going to be really cool. Several years down the road...

baja
04-06-2010, 06:51 AM

I used to use PC lap tops. I'd buy one in the states and bring it to Baja every six months on average I'd have to return to the states to get some problem fixed. This went on for years until I decided to buy a Mac Power Book I got all the bells and whistles and paid $2600 for it. Best money I ever spent I have not had one problem, I did replace the HD but that was for more disc space not because the old one was bad. I have taken this machine all over the world and never even turn it off I just close the lid and slip it in my carry bag and off we go. No one can say anything that would cause me to ever buy a PC again.

No troubles, who wouldn't want that....

Popps
04-06-2010, 10:41 AM
I'd agree with waiting on the iPad if you want one. They'll always find any bugs in the first model, and you might as well have the 3G option embedded.

Chris
04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I'd agree with waiting on the iPad if you want one. They'll always find any bugs in the first model, and you might as well have the 3G option embedded.

Or you could just jailbreak it and tether the 3G connection from your smart phone to save 150 bucks + plus the cost of another data plan.

Garcia Bronco
04-06-2010, 11:04 AM
I have a mini-ipad that's a phone. It's crazy, but the smaller they make it, the more functionality it has.

Garcia Bronco
04-06-2010, 11:05 AM
if only it had USB

or maybe they have a version coming out with it? i dunno, the ipad is cool though

All it is, like an ipod, is a portal to spend money through Apple.

baja
04-06-2010, 11:13 AM
All it is, like an ipod, is a portal to spend money through Apple.

I don't throw my money away I make reasoned purchases and I love my i pod my Power Book my 24 in monitor my ipod minis my apple wi fi brick

so what if they are clever marketers, actually I wish they weren't gathering market share so fast because that is just more temptation to create virus' for the platform.

Binkythefrog
04-06-2010, 11:28 AM

I picked one up and I haven't seen it crash yet. I've been using it heavily for music, movies, apps, web surfing and email and its been pretty solid for me. I also haven't had the heat or wifi issues that others have had. I personally really enjoy it for casual computer use (I find typing to be so-so, useable for short email or URL typing). I now can let my other computer focus completely on being the center of my small hobby music studio and lessen the load on it.

Now who knows, it could crash on me today, but I'm sure eventually something down the road won't work perfectly. I've never had a piece of computer technology that never had an issue (Macs, PCs, phones etc).

tsiguy96
04-06-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't throw my money away I make reasoned purchases and I love my i pod my Power Book my 24 in monitor my ipod minis my apple wi fi brick

so what if they are clever marketers, actually I wish they weren't gathering market share so fast because that is just more temptation to create virus' for the platform.

its not so much that people arent trying to make virus' for it, the platform really just doesnt allow them to function how people wnat them to.

DenverBrit
04-06-2010, 11:39 AM
http://gizmodo.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/06/monalisajobs.jpg

baja
04-06-2010, 11:39 AM
its not so much that people arent trying to make virus' for it, the platform really just doesnt allow them to function how people wnat them to.

what the virus?

bowtown
04-06-2010, 11:45 AM

Nice technical way of saying you have no idea what you are talking about.

Popps
04-06-2010, 11:46 AM
I'd sell before Jobs has another medical problem. He's single handedly propping that stock up just by existing. He could just be constipated and the stock holders would start to sweat.

I'm always holding puts against my shares. (Disaster protection.) If the stock dropped $100 tomorrow, I'd be largely covered. Conversely, I'm paying a bit of premium for the protection... so I'm capping further upside at this point. I think it's going to peak out in the 240s, pull back and then who knows.

gyldenlove
04-06-2010, 11:48 AM

I would just get the i-phone, it does almost all the same things and is a lot more handy.

DenverBrit
04-06-2010, 11:50 AM
I would just get the i-phone, it does almost all the same things and is a lot more handy.

The iPhone also makes calls. ;D

Popps
04-06-2010, 11:52 AM

I think the pad is supposed to have a lot more "umph." For me, the iPhone is probably going to be enough. (And my lapatop.) But, for instance... my wife is a big reader and is always having to move around the house to keep up with our 3 year old. So, something that bridges a phone/laptop might be better for her.

Again, it won't be for everyone... but I do think it'll find a market. Conceptually, it looks like a fun thing to have.... so it just depends on someone's need-set.

Popps
04-06-2010, 11:54 AM
The iPhone also makes calls. ;D

Sort of.

I was so psyched to hear that Verizon was going to be an option. Then, I heard that Verizon is pretty bad in Socal and that ATT is better. I can't imagine ATT being better than anyone with regards to cell service.

bowtown
04-06-2010, 11:55 AM
I think the pad is supposed to have a lot more "umph." But, for instance... my wife is a big reader and is always having to move around the house to keep up with our 3 year old. So, something that bridges a phone/laptop might be better for her.

How about one of these bad boys:

http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/parenting/2006/08/29/baby_cage_blog200x165.jpg

DenverBrit
04-06-2010, 11:59 AM

http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/parenting/2006/08/29/baby_cage_blog200x165.jpg

Ah, the iCrib.

Apple is a cradle to grave company.

Next up is the iBoomer. ;D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3116/2698762156_95e9c3ce06_o.jpg

Popps
04-06-2010, 12:09 PM

Hilarious!

Don't tempt me.

baja
04-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Lol

Play2win
04-06-2010, 12:14 PM
I heard it said, and I pretty much agree with it-- the iPad is not very good for creating content, but it is great for consuming it.

Be it eBooks/eMags embedded with rich media (video, interactivity, etc.), straight video and movies, video games, traditional media (photos, art, illustrations), Apps, or the Web. You can just sit there, devour and consume information.

That being said, it might be a little bit like the Belushi/Aykroyd era SNL- not ready for primetime players. In a generation or two, it should be pretty sweet- plus, by then the content providers will be more up to speed.

It really could create a whole new genre of creative professionals.

baja
04-06-2010, 12:16 PM
I heard it said, and I pretty much agree with it-- the iPad is not very good for creating content, but it is great for consuming it.

Be it eBooks/eMags embedded with rich media (video, interactivity, etc.), straight video and movies, video games, traditional media (photos, art, illustrations), Apps, or the Web. You can just sit there, devour and consume information.

That being said, it might be a little bit like the Belushi/Aykroyd era SNL- not ready for primetime players. In a generation or two, it should be pretty sweet- plus, by then the content providers will be more up to speed.

Best take yet on the i pad

Garcia Bronco
04-06-2010, 12:27 PM

As is stands today I think it's a product for old people and boomers.

baja
04-06-2010, 12:31 PM
As is stands today I think it's a product for old people and boomers.

LOL Why?

Play2win
04-06-2010, 12:35 PM
I think, like a lot of the things Apple has produced in the past, College Students are going to drive this thing (and its sales).

Popps
04-06-2010, 12:35 PM

Given, I'm in the industry that I would meet these people... but I can't tell you how many people I know that are involved in Podcasts or app-creation for the iphone. This pad is just going to amplify that.

Pretty cool to see a product launch a whole sub-genre of business.

I'm a podcast junkie. One of the best things to happen in 20 years of technology, imo. You name a niche topic, and there are 30 experts out there talking about it. (And some non-experts, of course.)

baja
04-06-2010, 12:46 PM
OK I can't stand it any more, you know what is going to drive this thing through the roof?

Gamming & appls.

Not one of you said this, yet it seems so obvious. This puppy is going to be huge barring some system fail this will be seen everywhere, the new travel machine for Internet and more....

Garcia Bronco
04-06-2010, 12:47 PM
OK I can't stand it any more, you know what will drive this thing through the roof?

Gaming & apps

They already exist in another device...that's also a phone. But like I said, it's a good product for old people.

Play2win
04-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Given, I'm in the industry that I would meet these people... but I can't tell you how many people I know that are involved in Podcasts or app-creation for the iphone. This pad is just going to amplify that.

Pretty cool to see a product launch a whole sub-genre of business.

I'm a podcast junkie. One of the best things to happen in 20 years of technology, imo. You name a niche topic, and there are 30 experts out there talking about it. (And some non-experts, of course.)

I pretty much think the iPad is going to bridge the gap between Media(print/web/communications), Multimedia(video/animation/FX/3D/interactive), and Development(programming for interactive/video games/Apps).

I hear Flash CS5 is going to be able to be ported out to iPhone apps, I wonder if that will also be true for iPad apps. There is a little bit of funny irony there.

The question is: how is this next wave of content creation going to be authored? In what specific programs or programing/scripting languages?

I guess only time will tell.

BroncsRule
04-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Posting this from the apple store in Boulder.. I've never been an Apple early adopted before, but this thing is pretty slick.

misturanderson
04-06-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't really understand the pricing of the iPad. Why sell the hardware at such a high profit margin (they only cost about $280 to make) when all that will do in the long run is prevent people from buying the product, and in turn buying apps, movies, etc. (which are the real money makers in all this)?

Is it just because they have such a huge install base of customers that will buy anything they make regardless of cost or practicality?

broncosteven
04-06-2010, 05:09 PM
I pretty much think the iPad is going to bridge the gap between Media(print/web/communications), Multimedia(video/animation/FX/3D/interactive), and Development(programming for interactive/video games/Apps).

I hear Flash CS5 is going to be able to be ported out to iPhone apps, I wonder if that will also be true for iPad apps. There is a little bit of funny irony there.

The question is: how is this next wave of content creation going to be authored? In what specific programs or programing/scripting languages?

I guess only time will tell.

I guess once I am forced to read all of my mags (Network World, Computerworld, Time, Electronic Musician, Keyboard, Air and Space) in this format with no option for a print copy then i would be forced to break down and buy something like that and keep it in the bathroom. The only reason I get Mag's is to have something to do in there.

Once it gets down to the size of the thing in the New Battlestar galactia movie then I will be all over it. I just hope that one has a USB drive.

baja
04-06-2010, 05:14 PM
I don't really understand the pricing of the iPad. Why sell the hardware at such a high profit margin (they only cost about $280 to make) when all that will do in the long run is prevent people from buying the product, and in turn buying apps, movies, etc. (which are the real money makers in all this)?

Is it just because they have such a huge install base of customers that will buy anything they make regardless of cost or practicality?

Probably and it is good marketing. The price will come down, likely a lot.

baja
04-06-2010, 05:15 PM
I guess once I am forced to read all of my mags (Network World, Computerworld, Time, Electronic Musician, Keyboard, Air and Space) in this format with no option for a print copy then i would be forced to break down and buy something like that and keep it in the bathroom. The only reason I get Mag's is to have something to do in there.

Once it gets down to the size of the thing in the New Battlestar galactia movie then I will be all over it. I just hope that one has a USB drive.

Ya no USB is almost a deal killer for me. That and I would like a larger flash drive.

Garcia Bronco
04-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Probably and it is good marketing. The price will come down, likely a lot.

If they were 150 or so I'd get on for light business use.

Popps
04-06-2010, 07:01 PM
If they were 150 or so I'd get on for light business use.

Jeesh, should they throw in a BJ with it, ya cheap bastard? :)

Popps
04-06-2010, 07:05 PM

You know the price will come down. It has in almost every single item they've released. I fully expect to see non-3G versions for $395 within 1 year, if not sooner.

Beyond that, better and more coveted products always cost a bit more.

Know anyone that owns a "Zune?" I'm sure they're fine players. But, it's not what the mass public wants, for a variety of reasons ranging to perceived quality, integration ability, and yes... even style. (Gadgets and phones are no different from cars and golf clubs... people enjoy finer brands.)

misturanderson
04-06-2010, 07:43 PM
You know the price will come down. It has in almost every single item they've released. I fully expect to see non-3G versions for $395 within 1 year, if not sooner.

Know anyone that owns a "Zune?" I'm sure they're fine players. But, it's not what the mass public wants, for a variety of reasons ranging to perceived quality, integration ability, and yes... even style. (Gadgets and phones are no different from cars and golf clubs... people enjoy finer brands.)

Even at $395 that is a ridiculous asking price given the limitations, but is starting to get a little more reasonable. And it will only come down to that price when they release the new, fully-featured iPad 2 or whatever clever name they will give it (which naturally will cost less to manufacture, but will be back at the $499 price point). I do realize that after about the 3rd generation they will have a fully featured product that they will finally start lowering the price on. It still doesn't make sense to me why they would price such a huge portion of the population out of their product when they are making a hefty profit off of the hardware at the current price, because the real money-maker in the long run is the appstore.

Video Game console manufacturers sell their products at a loss for the first year or more because they know they will make that money back in game sales since you basically have to buy the games to use their product. Since the intended use of the iPad is essentially to buy a bunch of apps that make it worth having, it is very similar to a video game console in that regard. It would seem that it would make more sense to price the hardware lower to increase the install base for selling apps to. Just my opinion.

As for the zune, I would be torn between it and an iPod because it is a technologically and asthetically (in my opinion) superior product with a similarly intuitive interface and the capability of outputting HD video throuh HDMI, but the apps on the iPod have such a strong lead in quality and quantity it would make it a tough choice. iPod really is just more appealing because it got there first and advertises more.

Maybe Apple just has a genius plan of adding percieved value to their product (while ****ing all of the early adopters in the ass) by pricing it at unreasonable levels out of the gate so it seems like you aren't getting ripped off when they drop the price in 3 months to a slightly less unreasonable level.

enjolras
04-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Tablets are where your going to find that Google really shines. I've played with a couple of Android and Chrome OS based tablets. They have everything the iPad lacks while preserving much of the simplicity. They multi-task seamlessly without introducing a lot of complexity.

I think Google really gets the space.

baja
04-06-2010, 07:58 PM

It's not like Apple is first with this pricing scheme Designer cloths make a living on this system too, a fine living I might add.

I have seen designer cloths at a reseller shop for 1/10 the original cost or less.

baja
04-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Tablets are where your going to find that Google really shines. I've played with a couple of Android and Chrome OS based tablets. They have everything the iPad lacks while preserving much of the simplicity. They multi-task seamlessly without introducing a lot of complexity.

I think Google really gets the space.

Happen to have a link to that product.

misturanderson
04-06-2010, 08:39 PM
It's not like Apple is first with this pricing scheme Designer cloths make a living on this system too, a fine living I might add.

I have seen designer cloths at a reseller shop for 1/10 the original cost or less.

Those clothes don't bring in money to the manufacturer past the purchase price though (I would also imagine that they have a higher profit margin for the retailer than technology ever does). They have a one-time monetary value at the time of purchase.

That is the major money-making value that the iPad has to Apple, to keep selling things to people that have already bought the iPad. If they lower the price so that 2 million more people will buy the product, that's 2 million more people buying who knows how many apps, movies, songs, etc. that Apple makes money off of.

Maybe apps just aren't priced appropriately for Apple to really make enough money off of them to justify the decreased profit margin on the hardware. But if that's the case, why were they considering dropping the price if early sales were slow, before it was even released?

GoBroncos DownUnder
04-06-2010, 09:30 PM
WillItBlend.com - Featuring the Apple I-Pad!

http://www.blendtec.com/willitblend/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=ipad

baja
04-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Those clothes don't bring in money to the manufacturer past the purchase price though (I would also imagine that they have a higher profit margin for the retailer than technology ever does). They have a one-time monetary value at the time of purchase.

That is the major money-making value that the iPad has to Apple, to keep selling things to people that have already bought the iPad. If they lower the price so that 2 million more people will buy the product, that's 2 million more people buying who knows how many apps, movies, songs, etc. that Apple makes money off of.

Maybe apps just aren't priced appropriately for Apple to really make enough money off of them to justify the decreased profit margin on the hardware. But if that's the case, why were they considering dropping the price if early sales were slow, before it was even released?

There are the matching accessories but I get your drift.

I was giving an example of hyped up, over priced stuff that you could buy for much less without the name and packaging and not really addressing the set the hook angle.

Popps
04-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Wow, scroll to about the half-way point and check out the games. Pretty nice looking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luj263H_56A&feature=popular

Kaylore
04-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Did anyone hear Jimmy Kimmel last night on the IPad?

"You gotta love Steve Jobs. He's the only guy in the world that can sell us a larger, more cumbersome version of the iPhone, except it you can't call anyone on it and still we buy them."

GoBroncos DownUnder
04-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Can we please have a worldwide cull of "creative professionals"? If we could do some kind of test to only allow the best 20% to keep working that would be awesome, the other 80% can then move on to flipping burgers or something. :wiggle:

- SIGNED
PrePress Operator
(tired of annoying "creative" types!)8')

snowspot66
04-07-2010, 01:19 AM
For those that have one. Does it come with a squeegee to wipe off all the greasy finger prints and other nastiness?

enjolras
04-07-2010, 02:25 AM
Happen to have a link to that product.

Not yet. They're all still in development. My business is supplying some of the built-in software that comes on most Android devices, so we get to play with a lot of cool toys.

The WePad is coming out soon'ish (although I haven't actually seen one yet):

http://www.wepad.mobi/en

I expect to see 2-4 more in the next 6 months.

Cleo McDowell
04-07-2010, 02:53 AM
dont mean to hijack but i just caught this on youtube.. AMAZING.. all done on her iphone..

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HK15Fwho6Ys&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HK15Fwho6Ys&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

baja
04-07-2010, 08:19 AM
what did she say

Que
04-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Finally, for those of you out there who haven't given Apple or Macs a shot. Do yourself a favor and try one out. I was a "Imma gonna build my PC from scratch" jumper fiddling type of guy. One day I lost my laptop (PC) while on a two week business trip. I decided to buy a MacBook Pro to a) see how much I hated OS X and b) because it would hold its value and I could probably resell it when I got back for 85% or so of the cost. The first week was hell trying to get used to it but after that, OMG, I have not gone back and would never go back. I converted my entire company to Macs along with every computer in my house. I still use that original MacBook Pro (now 2.5 years old) and have had zero problems with it and it still runs as fast as it did the day I bought it (actually faster with the OS X upgrades). Hell, I only reboot the thing every other month. I have 32 windows open right now and it still hums along nicely. I don't plan on replacing it any time soon. Back in my PC days I was upgrading to a new machine every year. If for anything, the lifespan of a Mac is so great that it just makes good financial sense for me as a person and my company to use Macs.

baja
04-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Finally, for those of you out there who haven't given Apple or Macs a shot. Do yourself a favor and try one out. I was a "Imma gonna build my PC from scratch" jumper fiddling type of guy. One day I lost my laptop (PC) while on a two week business trip. I decided to buy a MacBook Pro to a) see how much I hated OS X and b) because it would hold its value and I could probably resell it when I got back for 85% or so of the cost. The first week was hell trying to get used to it but after that, OMG, I have not gone back and would never go back. I converted my entire company to Macs along with every computer in my house. I still use that original MacBook Pro (now 2.5 years old) and have had zero problems with it and it still runs as fast as it did the day I bought it (actually faster with the OS X upgrades). Hell, I only reboot the thing every other month. I have 32 windows open right now and it still hums along nicely. I don't plan on replacing it any time soon. Back in my PC days I was upgrading to a new machine every year. If for anything, the lifespan of a Mac is so great that it just makes good financial sense for me as a person and my company to use Macs.

My Mac Book Pro is 5 years old, I'd love to get a new machine but I can't because there is nothing wrong with this one.

Damn you Apple for making such a durable and reliable machine that I can't justify getting a nice shinny new one.

baja
04-07-2010, 09:17 AM
My Mac cost me about $500 a year (and dropping) can you PC users say that?

titan
04-07-2010, 09:18 AM
I had my first look at the iPad last night. I am a big Amazon Kindle fan so I wanted to check out the ebooks. One thing I liked was that it was easier to highlight and save text from a book on the iPad than on the Kindle. This is a big feature for me as I like to save passages and review them later. I couldn't tell if the ebooks were more expensive on the iPad - the $9.99 price I saw for a few match prices I see on the Kindle.

Otherwise it seemed like a big iPhone. Video was good. I am a longtime Windows PC user who got his first Mac in December (my recent bronco highlight threads are courtesy of some tricks I learned on the Mac). I like both platforms. Still have a windows laptop and intend to keep it.

I'm going back to the Apple store today to ask some questions. Leaning against buying the iPad now (waiting until a later release just like I did for my iphone) but my first iPad impressions were more positive than I expected.

bowtown
04-07-2010, 09:19 AM

Yes. My PC cost me $800 and is in it's 3rd year. I'm killing that number.

gyldenlove
04-07-2010, 09:22 AM
My Mac Book Pro is 5 years old, I'd love to get a new machine but I can't because there is nothing wrong with this one.

Damn you Apple for making such a durable and reliable machine that I can't justify getting a nice shinny new one.

My IBM T22 is 11 years old and aside from the battery not having much juice anymore it still works just fine. It cost me 1500$, so that is about 150$ a year, beat that with your macs.

Requiem
04-07-2010, 09:23 AM
I paid $350.00 for my Gateway netbook and modified it hardcore and it's awesome. Does the internet for me and about everything else I want to do in my life right now. If I ever get back into hardcore image editing and video stuff, I'll be looking for another PC -- but to surf the web, type up class notes and keep in touch with friends and family, that is all I needed to spend.

Requiem
04-07-2010, 09:24 AM
My IBM T22 is 11 years old and aside from the battery not having much juice anymore it still works just fine.

Woah, that's gotta be a PIII processor or something in that badboy. Maybe 128MB of ram? That's awesome dude!

baja
04-07-2010, 09:28 AM
My IBM T22 is 11 years old and aside from the battery not having much juice anymore it still works just fine. It cost me 1500$, so that is about 150$ a year, beat that with your macs.

My neighbor is selling a car for 500 bucks if it's all about the money that is a good deal

bowtown
04-07-2010, 09:32 AM
It's silly to say that PCs don't last as long as Macs. We have both in our household and on avergage, I'd say the PCs silghtly edge out the Macs in longevity. Plus a PC is much easier and cheaper to refurbish and retune when as it ages than a Mac.

Both PCs and Macs are good depending on what you want from them and what your main focus is. I don't really ever get why it has to be such a pissing match.

baja
04-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Woah, that's gotta be a PIII processor or something in that badboy. Maybe 128MB of ram? That's awesome dude!

I got a transistor radio that is 40 years old that I paid 70 bucks for that makes it a good deal never mind it weighs 35 pounds and takes 6 D batteries.

bowtown
04-07-2010, 09:40 AM
I got a transistor radio that is 40 years old that I paid 70 bucks for that makes it a good deal never mind it weighs 35 pounds and takes 6 D batteries.

If you are still using it, then it's pretty much the definition of a good deal and a good product.

How much memory does you old macbook have on it? How about processor speed? Bet it's not as high as the new ones. Therefore, a bad purchase by these standards.

baja
04-07-2010, 09:48 AM
If you are still using it, then it's pretty much the definition of a good deal and a good product.

How much memory does you old macbook have on it? How about processor speed? Bet it's not as high as the new ones. Therefore, a bad purchase by these standards.

I upgraded my hard drive under my extended warrantee so I have 200 G

processor is 1.67 and 2G ram not terrible but I would like an upgrade.

Play2win
04-07-2010, 09:57 AM

I am glad you have come to see the LIGHT. :sunshine:

Play2win
04-07-2010, 10:06 AM

I got my G4 Powerbook in 2005. It still works great. It still drives my 30" Cinema Display Monitor (2560 x 1600) that I also got back then quite fine. Though, right now I have it hooked up to my new mac mini. I needed the mac mini for the Intel and the PC boot up for Visual Studio and a class I took in XNA. It boots both Snow Leopard and Windows 7.

I do need to get a new battery for the powerbook, though.

baja
04-07-2010, 10:08 AM
I got my G4 Powerbook in 2005. It still works great. It still drives my 30" Cinema Display Monitor (2560 x 1600) that I also got back then quite fine. Though, right now I have it hooked up to my new mac mini. I needed the mac mini for the Intel and the PC boot up for Visual Studio and a class I took in XNA. It boots both Snow Leopard and Windows 7.

I do need to get a new battery for the powerbook, though.

Ya I have gone through like 4 batteries and about 10 power cords, seems Mexican current eats them

Play2win
04-07-2010, 10:10 AM
It's silly to say that PCs don't last as long as Macs. We have both in our household and on avergage, I'd say the PCs silghtly edge out the Macs in longevity. Plus a PC is much easier and cheaper to refurbish and retune when as it ages than a Mac.

Both PCs and Macs are good depending on what you want from them and what your main focus is. I don't really ever get why it has to be such a pissing match.

I absolutely agree. Sometime I get a little enthusiastic is all.

Play2win
04-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Ya I have gone through like 4 batteries and about 10 power cords, seems Mexican current eats them

Batteries are evil. Be it in cars, laptops, digital cameras... they are just evil... ;D

sixtimeseight
04-07-2010, 10:18 AM

$500... a year?

http://www.breakitdownblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/doing_it_wrong_skaters.jpg

baja
04-07-2010, 10:21 AM
$500... a year?

http://www.breakitdownblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/doing_it_wrong_skaters.jpg

works for me.

Popps
04-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Yes. My PC cost me $800 and is in it's 3rd year. I'm killing that number.

Again, the individual stories are heart-warming... but there is very easily searchable data on reliability and customer satisfaction available. Apple is at or near the top in every independent firms test of reliability and customer ratings.

As we talked about before, there are reasons people buy an Acura over a Chrysler. Doesn't mean Chryslers are all bad cars, or that it's not a fine choice. It's just a different price point.

People who need reliable machines for crucial devices probably aren't sweating a few hundred bucks over a few years, either way. That's not really the mindset of someone who wants to spend a bit more for a superior product.

Jori
04-07-2010, 05:41 PM

I have a Zune HD and love it; use it more then my iPod touch. It's all about preference.

worm
04-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Pretty sure computers are just a fad.

Its like arguing about the run and shoot.

chadta
04-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Beyond that, do you get panicky when a breakfast cereal you don't eat runs an ad?

How about toilet paper? Do you get irate and attack Charmin users?

I'm just wondering where the outrage ends for you....?

do people that eat frosted flakes look down at me like they are somehow better then i am because i dont eat them the way you mac guys do to anybody else who hasnt bought into your cult ?

tsiguy96
04-07-2010, 06:39 PM
do people that eat frosted flakes look down at me like they are somehow better then i am because i dont eat them the way you mac guys do to anybody else who hasnt bought into your cult ?

go use one, youll join "the cult" too.

the fact that you are so absolutely outraged at people that own macs is kinda weird.

chadta
04-07-2010, 06:44 PM
go use one, youll join "the cult" too.

the fact that you are so absolutely outraged at people that own macs is kinda weird.

ive used macs for years, never under stood the big deal, sure its a good computer, but its just not 5 times as good to justify 5 times the cost

tsiguy96
04-07-2010, 07:12 PM
ive used macs for years, never under stood the big deal, sure its a good computer, but its just not 5 times as good to justify 5 times the cost

in your opinion.

scttgrd
04-07-2010, 07:26 PM
in your opinion.

I have macs, and PC's. Both have limitations of one kind or another. I use Linux, it has it's own limitations but it's free and I can run any number of distro's, and can customize to my hearts content. I can even compile my own flavor. My best friend is a mac trained administrator, guess what he's running on his mac book pro?

tsiguy96
04-07-2010, 07:28 PM
I have macs, and PC's. Both have limitations of one kind or another. I use Linux, it has it's own limitations but it's free and I can run any number of distro's, and can customize to my hearts content. I can even compile my own flavor. My best friend is a mac trained administrator, guess what he's running on his mac book pro?

well in that case, its settled.

scttgrd
04-07-2010, 07:37 PM
well in that case, its settled.

No, it really boils down to what works best for the individual. My friend tried for a long time to get me to use mac's, I was running debian. I tried to get a mac up and usable for the wife. She was used to having all the software she needed in the package manager. So I had to put linux on the mac. Next thing I knew my friend was running a dual boot.

baja
04-07-2010, 07:41 PM
OK now after all my bragging I have a serious problem with my power book. The connection for my power charger will not connect. I can get it to work if I fiddle with it and hold it tight to the computer but the second I let go of the cord the light goes out.

Any ideas, save me the jokes please....

scttgrd
04-07-2010, 07:43 PM
OK now after all my bragging I have a serious problem with my power book. The connection for my power charger will not connect. I can get it to work if I fiddle with it and hold it tight to the computer but the second I let go of the cord the light goes out.

I will call my buddy tomorrow if you don't get things figured out by then. The guy is a wizard with mac's.

GoBroncos DownUnder
04-07-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm still bemused by people swearing that using a Mac is "THE WAY, and the ONLY WAY".

Personally I use 2 Macs at work and a PC at home, it's no big deal. I use different Adobe CS packages with each, and find that you get what you pay for with both machines!
However, I am NOT happy with Mac continually driving owners to upgrade, in order to run the latest Adobe packages ... When CS-5 is released soon, Mac PPCs won't be able to run it. Really - WTF? Buh-bye Mac!

scttgrd
04-07-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm still bemused by people swearing that using a Mac is "THE WAY, and the ONLY WAY".

Personally I use 2 Macs at work and a PC at home, it's no big deal. I use different Adobe CS packages with each, and find that you get what you pay for with both machines!
However, I am NOT happy with Mac continually driving owners to upgrade, in order to run the latest Adobe packages ... When CS-5 is released soon, Mac PPCs won't be able to run it. Really - WTF? Buh-bye Mac!

That's why our G4 is sitting in the closet, outmoded.

baja
04-07-2010, 07:50 PM
I will call my buddy tomorrow if you don't get things figured out by then. The guy is a wizard with mac's.

Thanks I think the solder joint inside broke basically I'm fuucked

scttgrd
04-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks I think the solder joint inside broke basically I'm fuuuned

I'll see what he has to say, im sure he's seen this kind of thing before.

Play2win
04-07-2010, 08:14 PM

If its not a physical problem (the actual physical connection), it could be PMU-- Power Management Unit. The battery/computer might not be seeing the power.

You can:

1) Zap the PRAM (restart + hold down comd/opt/P/R keys) keep holding until the startup chimes happen a few times (I usually go 5 times)

2) Reset the PMU - this depends on the model, you can google it, but I think with your powerbook, you unplug the charger and takeout the battery, then hold down the power button for at least 5 seconds. Again, check google to be sure.

3) Reset NVRAM in open firmware - restart + hold down comd/opt/O/F keys,

then type: (this will be a very basic text-only screen)

reset-nvram (return)

set-defaults (return)

reset-all (return) --system will reboot and startup OSX--

I hope this helps, again this is if the problem is battery/PMU related (if the power charger light is not coming on/being funny, sometimes this is the problem)

If thats completely not what is going on, sorry, was just trying to help :)

Play2win
04-07-2010, 08:18 PM

There is a difference between not being able to use it, and it not being supported.

BTW- I can't wait for CS5. I skipped CS4. I thought CS3 was a really solid suite, but I am soooo ready for CS5 now...

I wonder if Dreamweaver is still going to be bloatware... I have started using a program called CODA recently.

Play2win
04-07-2010, 08:20 PM

so it is the physical connection... bummer.

GoBroncos DownUnder
04-07-2010, 09:49 PM
There is a difference between not being able to use it, and it not being supported.

CS5 will be written FOR Intel-Macs. When you're preparing/fixing a file that involves over a million impressions, you can't settle for "being able to use it", they (Mac) are effectively FORCING us to upgrade!8')

BTW- I can't wait for CS5. I skipped CS4. I thought CS3 was a really solid suite, but I am soooo ready for CS5 now...

From a prepress point of view - CS2 was GREAT, CS3 wasteful and unreliable, CS4 an improvement but heavily bloated, next CS5 ... UGH, why the hell do we need this crap, over and over, ... draining my budget? $$$

Popps
04-07-2010, 09:56 PM

See, you've inverted my analogy... only you're using it wrong.

Mac users are attacked in every thread.

Yet, the "my PC has a virus" threads are never overrun by Mac users. Why? We don't care.

You've got the right idea, you're just applying it incorrectly.

baja
04-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys it's the solder joint good thing I'm going to SD in a couple of weeks Guess I'll have to use my old reliable Gateway, ouch !

snowspot66
04-07-2010, 10:52 PM
CS5 will be written FOR Intel-Macs. When you're preparing/fixing a file that involves over a million impressions, you can't settle for "being able to use it", they (Mac) are effectively FORCING us to upgrade!8')

From a prepress point of view - CS2 was GREAT, CS3 wasteful and unreliable, CS4 an improvement but heavily bloated, next CS5 ... UGH, why the hell do we need this crap, over and over, ... draining my budget? $$$

Why do you need to upgrade to CS5? I was using PS7 when I upgraded to CS2 and still use CS2 to this day. CS2 is only a couple years old. Is there some specific reason you need the new package?

snowspot66
04-07-2010, 10:58 PM
See, you've inverted my analogy... only you're using it wrong.

Mac users are attacked in every thread.

Yet, the "my PC has a virus" threads are never overrun by Mac users. Why? We don't care.

You've got the right idea, you're just applying it incorrectly.

I'm sorry but those threads always draw somebody pimping Mac.

Popps
04-07-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm sorry but those threads always draw somebody pimping Mac.

You could be right, but I don't notice it nearly to the extent.

Like someone else said, put "soccer" or "Apple" in a thread title, and it's just a troll war-zone.

Reminds me of Jim Rome's SoCal/NoCal routine. People up north spend endless energy ripping on southern Cal, while people down here don't have time to bother with the whole thing.

GoBroncos DownUnder
04-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Why do you need to upgrade to CS5? I was using PS7 when I upgraded to CS2 and still use CS2 to this day. CS2 is only a couple years old. Is there some specific reason you need the new package?
On MY comp I run CS2 - it's more than enough.
At work we deal with billion dollar companies who like to splurge money on expensive computers and programs, so they can then save money by putting cheap employees in charge of their graphics department.
You need to have CS5, so when they say: "I'm lost - can we just send you the file?" you can say "Yes."

As long as you're not an idiot, Mac or PC isn't really the issue, it's "$$$$$ or $$".

Back to my point though - the I-Pad is The Emperor's New Clothes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor%27s_New_Clothes) for the new millennium!;)

snowspot66
04-08-2010, 01:18 AM
On MY comp I run CS2 - it's more than enough.
At work we deal with billion dollar companies who like to splurge money on expensive computers and programs, so they can then save money by putting cheap employees in charge of their graphics department.
You need to have CS5, so when they say: "I'm lost - can we just send you the file?" you can say "Yes."

As long as you're not an idiot, Mac or PC isn't really the issue, it's "$$$$$ or $$".

Back to my point though - the I-Pad is The Emperor's New Clothes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor%27s_New_Clothes) for the new millennium!;)

Back off the point. :) I see why you would need it for compatibility reasons. Where I'm confused is the companies getting expensive equipment for cheap employees. Is the rationale that it will make them not suck or something?

I guess I'm just used to seeing talented people trying to run Maya and Adobe products on a machine that was outdated five or six years ago.

Play2win
04-08-2010, 05:54 AM

Well... I originally went to school for prepress (graphic imaging), and even though I know Print is not dead, it certainly is not driving the field it once was.

Adobe is probably just appeasing the print folks, but there true drive and strategies are absolutely for digital design, development, production, and new media. Adobe has come a long way from its Postscript beginings.

CS2 still had Imageready, for god's sake. Photoshop, I believe, is always going to be their flagship program, simply because it such a big part of so many things that go on in the world today. Flash is going to change its part in the new web, with the advent of HTML5 and CSS3.

Look print is not dead, but much of the world is passing it by in many respects. I love typography and the such, but now I am focusing on Javascript, PHP, jQuery, Joomla, Wordpress, Javascript/CSS/PHP interaction. And to tell the truth, I have put Flash on the backburner. I think in the very near future, Flash will be changing its role in the new Web.

I am just hoping with CS5, Adobe gets Dreamweaver right, because it is turning into such bloatware.

Sir_Robin
04-08-2010, 06:24 AM
Anyone see the David Letterman Show last night?

He had an iPad that he was going to do the top 10 from and after rotating it a full 360 degrees it crashed on him, rebooted and went to some login screen.

They were using it as a coaster for a coffee mug after that!

It didn't crash - he hit the sleep button on top when he turned it upside down on his desk. When he started up again his hand was again on the sleep button long enough to bring up the power down screen.

So to summarize:

He had an iPad that he was going to do the top 10 from and after rotating it a full 360 degrees he pushed the sleep button on top and it actually went to sleep, then he hit the home button to wake it and it actually awoke and was ready to go again, finally he held down the sleep button and the thing had the audacity to ask if he wanted to power down! Lolz. Major fail!

orange&blue87
04-08-2010, 07:59 AM

Pretty sure that Apple made a switch to Intel in 2005. Anytime there is a change like that, there will be some people who will be unhappy. Then again, they made the change 5 years ago. Granted, there are some apps that struggle with the original core duo as opposed to the core 2 duo, but even that was addressed 4 years ago.

I really don't see how they are CONTINUALLY driving owners to upgrade. Especially when it is Adobe that is the one developing CS for the intel based platform. They obviously see it as a sign that their resources are best spent designing for Intel only, and it probably has to do with a high market share among their customers owning newer macs.

I've ran various CS packages (2-5) on both Mac and PC and prefer the Mac, but it ran fine on the PC. I tested windows 7 and liked it, I might end up purchasing it at some point, I just don't need it for anything.

When Vista came out, didn't you need a newer computer to run it? Seems like that's just the nature of technology.

baja
04-08-2010, 08:48 AM

I am going to take this as a sign from God that I am supposed to buy an i pad

Play2win
04-08-2010, 09:00 AM
I am going to take this as a sign from God that I am supposed to buy an i pad

Are you sure its not a sign from god that you are supposed to buy TWO? ;D

sixtimeseight
04-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Yea, when your first overpriced piece of crap from Apple breaks, the first thing you should do is buy another overpriced piece of crap!

baja
04-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Yea, when your first overpriced piece of crap from Apple breaks, the first thing you should do is buy another overpriced piece of crap!

Only if money is no object

If money is an object well that is why they make cheap stuff like Pintos and 600 dollar lap tops.

Can I help it if you are poor and suffer from penis envy.

orange&blue87
04-08-2010, 09:16 AM

He said he had a powerbook, so it sounds like the computer is at least 4-5 years old. Not a bad lifespan. That may be my opinion, but it's no different than your opinion that Apple is overpriced.

Personally, I feel that there are quite a few 300 netbooks that are extremely overpriced, and feel that my MacBook Pro was reasonably priced.

baja
04-08-2010, 09:23 AM
He said he had a powerbook, so it sounds like the computer is at least 4-5 years old. Not a bad lifespan. That may be my opinion, but it's no different than your opinion that Apple is overpriced.

Personally, I feel that there are quite a few 300 netbooks that are extremely overpriced, and feel that my MacBook Pro was reasonably priced.

Actually I think my Power Book will be six years old this May.

I think I paid around 2500 (not sure). Using those numbers it has cost me $416 a year

worm
04-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Actually I think my Power Book will be six years old this May.

I think I paid around 2500 (not sure). Using those numbers it has cost me $416 a year

That equates to .16 cents per post. Not a bad price to pay to cast your pearls before swine.

baja
04-08-2010, 10:28 AM
That equates to .16 cents per post. Not a bad price to pay to cast your pearls before swine.

Damn I better start posting more lest I get ripped off.

at least you get my brilliant humor. ;D

Play2win
04-08-2010, 10:38 AM
I got $420 dollars on me. Do you think I could go into an Apple Store, plop down the cash, and they would let me use a new MacBook Pro for a year?

I promise I'd return it, I swear... ;D

baja
04-08-2010, 10:48 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-179998.html

gyldenlove
04-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Pretty sure that Apple made a switch to Intel in 2005. Anytime there is a change like that, there will be some people who will be unhappy. Then again, they made the change 5 years ago. Granted, there are some apps that struggle with the original core duo as opposed to the core 2 duo, but even that was addressed 4 years ago.

I really don't see how they are CONTINUALLY driving owners to upgrade. Especially when it is Adobe that is the one developing CS for the intel based platform. They obviously see it as a sign that their resources are best spent designing for Intel only, and it probably has to do with a high market share among their customers owning newer macs.

I've ran various CS packages (2-5) on both Mac and PC and prefer the Mac, but it ran fine on the PC. I tested windows 7 and liked it, I might end up purchasing it at some point, I just don't need it for anything.

When Vista came out, didn't you need a newer computer to run it? Seems like that's just the nature of technology.

Vista was a steaming pile of garbage, it was a sad attempt at answering the mac advertisement campaings and it all it achieved was to prove that beta testing is pretty important - a point later reproved by Modern Warfare 2.

Unfortunately microsoft as with many other large companies have a habbit of every so often forcing out a product long before it is ready and long before it has been propperly tested for every day usage, 95, Vista and Millenium were all evidence of that, neither product was anywhere near ready and all 3 sucked horribly as a consequence.

orange&blue87
04-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Vista was a steaming pile of garbage, it was a sad attempt at answering the mac advertisement campaings and it all it achieved was to prove that beta testing is pretty important - a point later reproved by Modern Warfare 2.

Unfortunately microsoft as with many other large companies have a habbit of every so often forcing out a product long before it is ready and long before it has been propperly tested for every day usage, 95, Vista and Millenium were all evidence of that, neither product was anywhere near ready and all 3 sucked horribly as a consequence.

I had three PCs (98, NT, 2000, XP) before switching to OSX. OSX is not perfect, but I have yet to lose a file in the last 8 years. Opposed to losing the same college final three times in a week. Fortunately, I backed up, but lost many hours having to rebuild from the BSD. After 4 years of a horrible experience, I switched, I'm happy, but I know it's not for everyone.

Too bad they didn't have a better product. I may not have ever switched.

Eldorado
04-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Hey, wtf? I need a new username.

baja
04-08-2010, 11:51 AM
how about Blorange

Eldorado
04-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Uh-oh. My Dooshbag proximity alarm is going off.

how about Blorange

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rIZfaHBJWHE/SphO1ctNGeI/AAAAAAAAPeY/YZKZnegJta8/s400/Alert.gif

broncosteven
04-08-2010, 11:55 AM

Windows 7 is the best OS I have ever used. The upgrade was seemless from XP, it took maybe 15 minutes total from XP boot to Win 7 boot. It found all the drivers for all my MOTU audio and MIDI which is not something that I could say for XP.

I stayed away from Vista with a passion. I thought XP would serve me for a couple more years but when I upgraded to the new Intel i5 Quad chip I took the plunge and am damn glad I did. 64 bit, 4 gig ram (hoping to go to 8 in a couple of months), 4 CPU's and I haven't even attempted overclocking.

Win7 blows the doors off the Mac functionality, everything can be executed from the Start|Search field, want a CMD session type CMD, want to look for a file you can turn on natural language search and enter image kids may and get all the pictures from May with kids in the title. You can pin most used apps to the taskbar or start button for one click access. when you click the start button and navigate to word all the recent docs are displayed and you can open the one you want with out having to navigate through a file system or open the app! IE8 has some great features. I checked out Win7 unleashed from the library to get every last feature.

orange&blue87
04-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Hey, wtf? I need a new username.

Sorry about that... Guess I shouldn't have waited three years to make a post.

broncosteven
04-08-2010, 11:57 AM
It didn't crash - he hit the sleep button on top when he turned it upside down on his desk. When he started up again his hand was again on the sleep button long enough to bring up the power down screen.

So to summarize:

He had an iPad that he was going to do the top 10 from and after rotating it a full 360 degrees he pushed the sleep button on top and it actually went to sleep, then he hit the home button to wake it and it actually awoke and was ready to go again, finally he held down the sleep button and the thing had the audacity to ask if he wanted to power down! Lolz. Major fail!

Your right but just think how many people this is going to happen to. I can see it happening to someone like my dad who will then get confused and frustrated and probably never use it again. More of a design flaw than user error.

orange&blue87
04-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Windows 7 is the best OS I have ever used. The upgrade was seemless from XP, it took maybe 15 minutes total from XP boot to Win 7 boot. It found all the drivers for all my MOTU audio and MIDI which is not something that I could say for XP.

I stayed away from Vista with a passion. I thought XP would serve me for a couple more years but when I upgraded to the new Intel i5 Quad chip I took the plunge and am damn glad I did. 64 bit, 4 gig ram (hoping to go to 8 in a couple of months), 4 CPU's and I haven't even attempted overclocking.

Win7 blows the doors off the Mac functionality, everything can be executed from the Start|Search field, want a CMD session type CMD, want to look for a file you can turn on natural language search and enter image kids may and get all the pictures from May with kids in the title. You can pin most used apps to the taskbar or start button for one click access. when you click the start button and navigate to word all the recent docs are displayed and you can open the one you want with out having to navigate through a file system or open the app! IE8 has some great features. I checked out Win7 unleashed from the library to get every last feature.

Just too bad it wasn't Microsoft's idea...

I spent a few weeks in 7 during the beta time, which I think still sorta works, I just don't know if I want to pay $200 for an OS that I might sometimes use.

Automator serves me pretty well. Again, SL vs 7 will come down to personal preference. Both seem to be pretty solid.

broncosteven
04-08-2010, 12:07 PM

I spent a few weeks in 7 during the beta time, which I think still sorta works, I just don't know if I want to pay $200 for an OS that I might sometimes use.

Automator serves me pretty well. Again, SL vs 7 will come down to personal preference. Both seem to be pretty solid.

Not sure what you mean?

Both Apple and MS stole the whole GUI idea from Xerox. No one is innocent.

orange&blue87
04-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Their entire campaign is random people saying it was their idea... If it was everyone's idea, and not Microsoft's, then what have they been doing? It's just a terrible campaign. Good platform, horrible advertising.

Play2win
04-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Quicksilver... look it up.

broncosteven
04-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Their entire campaign is random people saying it was their idea... If it was everyone's idea, and not Microsoft's, then what have they been doing? It's just a terrible campaign. Good platform, horrible advertising.

I haven't seen any "I'm a Mac" commercials since Win7 came out.

Maybe MS was actually listening to their userbase rather than telling them that they need to buy into a new hardware platform.

Popps
04-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I haven't seen any "I'm a Mac" commercials since Win7 came out. Maybe MS was actually listening to their userbase rather than telling them that they need to buy into a new hardware platform.

The I'm a Mac campaign has been on hiatus for quite a while. Unlikely to be related to Windows 7.

That said, Leo Laporte (The Tech Guy) was saying that MS might have finally come out with a decent version of Windows in 7. It's supposed to be a big improvement over past versions.

bowtown
04-08-2010, 12:28 PM

I think you might be taking it a little too literally.

orange&blue87
04-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Listening is always good. Too bad it took them over a decade.

Read this morning that Long hinted that 'The I'm a Mac' commercials may be done. They ran 66 of them since 2006. Most campaigns don't run for four weeks, much less four years.

baja
04-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Your right but just think how many people this is going to happen to. I can see it happening to someone like my dad who will then get confused and frustrated and probably never use it again. More of a design flaw than user error.

So instead of having a whooping two buttons they should what, have one button that you push for everything??? If you think 2 buttons are confusing try one button that multi functions. Gramps won't dig it.

Requiem
04-08-2010, 12:43 PM
The I'm a Mac campaign has been on hiatus for quite a while. Unlikely to be related to Windows 7.

That said, Leo Laporte (The Tech Guy) was saying that MS might have finally come out with a decent version of Windows in 7. It's supposed to be a big improvement over past versions.

Dude, I loved Leo on the show The Screensavers on Tech TV way back in the day! :thumbs:

Dagmar
04-08-2010, 12:44 PM

In an interview with The A.V. Club (via MacDailyNews), actor Justin Long reveals that Apple may have discontinued its series of "Get a Mac" ads featuring Long and John Hodgman in their respective roles as "Mac" and "PC".

AVC: what's the status on those Apple commercials?

JL: You know, I think they might be done. In fact, I heard from John, I think they're going to move on. I can't say definitively, which is sad, because not only am I going to miss doing them, but also working with John. I've become very close with him, and he's one of my dearest, greatest friends. It was so much fun to go do that job, because there's not a lot to it for me. A lot of it is just keeping myself entertained between takes, and there's no one I'd rather do it with than John.
The news may not be a tremendous surprise, as Apple has not released any new commercials featuring Long and Hodgman since a series of three ads targeting the launch of Windows 7 debuted last October. Long's comments suggest, however, that that series may have come to an end rather than simply being on hiatus. Apple's "Get a Mac" campaign launched in 2006 and has received a number of awards, including AdweekMedia's Campaign of the Decade.

Popps
04-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Dude, I loved Leo on the show The Screensavers on Tech TV way back in the day! :thumbs:

Tech TV was great. I still catch him on the radio when I'm driving around on Saturdays sometimes. Great show.

Popps
04-08-2010, 12:46 PM
In an interview with The A.V. Club (via MacDailyNews), actor Justin Long reveals that Apple may have discontinued its series of "Get a Mac" ads featuring Long and John Hodgman in their respective roles as "Mac" and "PC".

JL: You know, I think they might be done. In fact, I heard from John, I think they're going to move on. I can't say definitively, which is sad, because not only am I going to miss doing them, but also working with John. I've become very close with him, and he's one of my dearest, greatest friends. It was so much fun to go do that job, because there's not a lot to it for me. A lot of it is just keeping myself entertained between takes, and there's no one I'd rather do it with than John.
The news may not be a tremendous surprise, as Apple has not released any new commercials featuring Long and Hodgman since a series of three ads targeting the launch of Windows 7 debuted last October. Long's comments suggest, however, that that series may have come to an end rather than simply being on hiatus. Apple's "Get a Mac" campaign launched in 2006 and has received a number of awards, including AdweekMedia's Campaign of the Decade.

They were great ads. But, every campaign needs to have a start and a finish. I doubt they'll have much problem in the marketing department.

snowspot66
04-08-2010, 01:05 PM

You never want an original idea in the computer industry. The only ones that make money are the ones that are stolen and improved.

baja
04-08-2010, 01:08 PM
You never want an original idea in the computer industry. The only ones that make money are the ones that are stolen and improved.

I have an idea that needs a little work.

I have been thinking about turning my handkerchief into a fold up and put in your back pocket computer

snowspot66
04-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Listening is always good. Too bad it took them over a decade.

Read this morning that Long hinted that 'The I'm a Mac' commercials may be done. They ran 66 of them since 2006. Most campaigns don't run for four weeks, much less four years.

Their campaign went too long and maybe too far. I read some articles that it was actually starting to turn people off of the brand. They related more to the nice PC guy (a Mac user from what I've heard) than the young hipsterish Mac guy (a PC guy from what I've heard).

Time to move on. They'll come up with something. But it will probably be more positive on the Mac than negative on the PC.

Dagmar
04-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Windows 7 is absolutely fantastic, and when you compare it to the abortion that was Vista, it is off the charts!

broncosteven
04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
I have an idea that needs a little work.

I have been thinking about turning my handkerchief into a fold up and put in your back pocket computer

Build a Carputer 1st then then you can tweak your carputer design to build your back pocket computer.

broncosteven
04-08-2010, 01:21 PM

Sounds like they ran out of material, I bet had Windows 7 been another Vista they would have gone on to do another 66.

I thought Long wanted to stop doing these a couple years ago because of his Movie career was taking off. I don't remember seeing any of the 3 new Windows 7 ads. I will have to google them.

Just to say that every ad campain runs it's course is a lame excuse, look how long the Marlboro man ran. They had nothing left to mock so they decided to move on and pray that their new hardware will capture the market attention.

Popps
04-08-2010, 01:34 PM
They had nothing left to mock so they decided to move on and pray that their new hardware will capture the market attention.

It might not be Vista, but let's not be silly...

Windows 7 Upgrade Woes Mount: Endless Reboots and Product Key Problems - PC Magazine
http://www.pcworld.com/article/174342/windows_7_upgrade_woes_mount_endless_reboots_and_p roduct_key_problems.html

Students find problems with Windows 7 upgrade - Cnet
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10382953-56.html

Microsoft looking into Windows 7 battery life failures
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/microsoft-looking-into-windows-7-battery-life-failures.ars

Windows 7 flaws start to show
http://apcmag.com/windows-7-flaws-start-to-show.htm

Huge Security Flaw in Windows 7 User Account Control
http://gizmodo.com/5142837/huge-security-flaw-in-windows-7-user-account-control

Criticism mounting over Windows 7 security - Cnet
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10156617-56.html

Windows 7 to hit consumers with known security problem
http://fsfe.org/news/2009/news-20091019-01.en.html

How to Fix Windows 7 When It Fails to Boot‎
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win7-windows-7-mbr,10036.html

I'm quite certain you could find problems with Macs, too. (Though we know the truth about reliability and customer ratings.)

But, to say that they're "out of material" is absurd, particularly for a operating system that has been as flawed as Windows over such a long time period.

Eldorado
04-08-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm just glad they named it after a feminine product. Makes me smile.

broncosteven
04-08-2010, 01:46 PM
It might not be Vista, but let's not be silly...

Windows 7 Upgrade Woes Mount: Endless Reboots and Product Key Problems - PC Magazine
http://www.pcworld.com/article/174342/windows_7_upgrade_woes_mount_endless_reboots_and_p roduct_key_problems.html

Students find problems with Windows 7 upgrade - Cnet
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10382953-56.html

Microsoft looking into Windows 7 battery life failures
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/microsoft-looking-into-windows-7-battery-life-failures.ars

Windows 7 flaws start to show
http://apcmag.com/windows-7-flaws-start-to-show.htm

Huge Security Flaw in Windows 7 User Account Control
http://gizmodo.com/5142837/huge-security-flaw-in-windows-7-user-account-control

Criticism mounting over Windows 7 security - Cnet
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10156617-56.html

Windows 7 to hit consumers with known security problem
http://fsfe.org/news/2009/news-20091019-01.en.html

How to Fix Windows 7 When It Fails to Boot‎
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win7-windows-7-mbr,10036.html

I'm quite certain you could find problems with Macs, too. (Though we know the truth about reliability and customer ratings.)

But, to say that they're "out of material" is absurd, particularly for a operating system that has been as flawed as Windows over such a long time period.

You do know that at least 3 of those are the same issue.

You really had to dig for those didn't you.

None of those would be anything worth running a comercial on unlike the Vista issues.

Popps
04-08-2010, 01:52 PM
You do know that at least 3 of those are the same issue.

Apparently major issues.

You really had to dig for those didn't you.

Go right now to Google.

Type in the word "problems."

It will fill in the rest with "problems with Windows 7."

So, no... no digging necessary.

None of those would be anything worth running a comercial on unlike the Vista issues.

Incorrect. Any chink in the armor can be attacked. That's what marketing is all about.

As for it being an upgrade to Vista, I stated that in an earlier post.

It's perhaps even an upgrade to XP.

Is it impervious to criticism? Of course not. It's a silly thing to say.

broncosteven
04-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Apparently major issues.

Go right now to Google.

Type in the word "problems."

It will fill in the rest with "problems with Windows 7."

Is it impervious to criticism? Of course not. It's a silly thing to say.

And the 1st 2 things to come up are:
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/22-common-windows-7-problems-solved-655655
SOLVED! One of those issues involve the iPhone not syncing. Pure ****ing commedy!

And:
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/15-exceptional-windows-7-secrets-597294
TIPS! Not issues, secrets to use the new product!

Most of the 1st page is SOLUTIONS and TIPS for using the product, the only bad articles were written before the release.

I never said it was perfect or impervious to critisim, I did say it was the best OS I have encountered and it would be hard to build an "I'm a Mac" marketting campain around the mere handfull of issues encountered with Win7.

broncosteven
04-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Here is a very well written article from Cnet from a few years ago, pre Win7:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9829091-37.html

Popps
04-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I never said it was perfect or impervious to critisim.

You said they couldn't mock Windows 7, and it's apparent by the news that they certainly could, if need be.

But, marketing campaigns run their course. I'm sure we'll see a new campaign soon.

broncosteven
04-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Just incase anyone didn't want to follow the link:

Problems with the Mac promised land

I've definitely learned something in recent weeks about reacting to the inevitable problems that will happen in life--how it can be possible to turn a problem into a huge opportunity, but also how a problem can become an even bigger problem overnight with neglect.

Perhaps it was inevitable for Apple this year, as the nearly unprecedented iPhone hype from this summer was followed by a surge in Mac shipments. Peeved by their experiences upgrading to Leopard, some high-profile Apple customers have taken to the Internet in recent weeks to complain, suggesting that Apple is leading them on with the brand promise of the Mac.

It's never clear in the early going exactly how many people as a whole run into problems with Macs, since things get quickly blown out of proportion under the intense scrutiny paid to Apple. But the basic complaint seems to be: this ain't what we thought it would be. Buggy upgrades? Security issues? This is why we switched to the Mac in the first place, right?

That's the image Apple wants people of have of the Mac: the anti-Windows. The clever Mac vs. PC commercials underscore that promise, pointing out some of the early problems with Windows Vista and smugly implying that Macs are free from such frustrations.

The problem is that's simply not true. Mac owners will encounter problems during the life of the product, maybe not as many as Windows owners, but frustrating, on-hold-with-tech-support types of problems will happen. Apple sets itself up for this kind of backlash with a holier-than-Windows marketing strategy if people run into some of the very problems they are trying to escape, such as blue screens of death. But how big a problem is this?

My friend Roger Kay of Endpoint Technologies Associates, back when we were trying to figure out if Microsoft and Intel had a chance at selling Windows Media Center PCs as digital living room hubs (they didn't), used to always note that people expect and are willing to tolerate a certain amount of "funk" from a PC. Basically, people are so used to encountering problems with Windows PCs that they have sort of gotten used to it, and while it's a hassle it's just part of using a PC.

But try taking away their TV. The consumer electronics industry tries to make simpler products that turn on instantly and don't require updated virus definitions or defragmenting or task management. They just work, and people aren't willing to tolerate anything less than a consumer electronics product that just works. I've put up with lots of PC issues over the years, but when the right half of my brand-new HDTV went snow white an hour into Boston College's first football game of the year, I was on the phone and livid in seconds. (Looking back, perhaps it was an omen.)

Apple has been trying to pitch the Mac as a consumer electronics device that "just works," against a Windows PC that sort of works. In general, I agree that Apple's attempt to set the bar higher and set itself apart from its Windows competitors is an excellent goal; most people would agree that competition makes for better business.

The trouble is, the Mac is still just a computer, and it's often subject to some of the same weirdness from time to time as Windows PCs. If Apple really wants to roll out its entire Mac ad campaign as a comparative exercise with the competition, it had better offer a much, much better experience; not just in terms of features and appearance, but with installation, troubleshooting, and support.

That last part is where the opportunity comes in. Back in 2005, a blogger named Jeff Jarvis started chronicling his harrowing experiences with Dell's PCs and customer service. Jarvis' goal was to cajole Dell into admitting that it had no idea of the scope of the customer service problems, which the company failed to do until it was really too late.

At the end of Jarvis' saga, he gave in to pressure from his readers and bought a Powerbook. To his credit, he realized right away that simply switching to Apple wasn't going to eliminate every computer hassle he'd ever encountered. "It feels like moving to Paris and not speaking French (though it sure is pretty there). There is as much illogic in part of the Mac world as in the Microsoft world," he wrote in 2005.

Not every new Apple customer is going to reach that conclusion. They are probably people who have had at least one or two Windows computers and many of them see the Mac as the answer to all their computer problems, even some who should probably know better.

If Apple fails to deliver that experience, those people might wonder what all the hype was about, and react as disproportionately as they did assuming Apple was the Answer. And long-time customers might feel slighted that in Apple's pursuit of new markets such as the iPod and the iPhone, they've let the fundamentals deteriorate. Although Apple's customer service scores are still the best in the industry, they did slip last year.

But any company can win customers for life if the first time they run into a problem with your product, you fix it quickly. The lesson from Dell's experience is that you can't let these customer service problems stagnate. Apple has a unique opportunity to act quickly on its customers' concerns because it controls the way its customers experience its products much more closely than any of its PC competitors.

Think about it: Dell and Hewlett-Packard do Microsoft's customer support. Best Buy and Circuit City sell HP and Acer's products. That's customer behavior information that has to pass through several different companies, and that can be difficult even if everybody has excellent working relationships.

If you're going to turn a problem into an opportunity, you have to be honest and up front with your customers about the scope of the problem, and act quickly--especially if they bought your product because you promised it was so much better than the other option. As I pointed out, Apple's customer satisfaction numbers are generally better than its competitors, but it will be interesting to see how those numbers change as the company adds new users on new products, such as the redesigned iMacs.

I have to admit, though, all this complaining about the brand promise of the Mac does make me laugh to a certain degree. Have you people ever seen a commercial before?

After a long investigation, I've also discovered that ladies won't necessarily flock to you as you walk down the street wearing Axe Body Spray, you shouldn't expect your Toyota Tacoma pickup to survive an encounter with the Loch Ness Monster, and switching to Salesgenie.com might not ensure that you can bring your cute 4-year-old daughter two new puppies with all the money you're now making.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9829091-37.html

Popps
04-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Great article. It's cool that Apple came up with the idea of marketing their product. Who would have Ever thought of that?

Anyway, yea... Apple is having all sorts of problems...

Apple’s Market Cap May Pass Microsoft’s Soon
Apple’s market value has reached $218 billion and is rising. Due to investor appreciation of Apple’s innovation, rapidly rising revenue and net income, and powerful brand, the price of the firm’s stock is up 110% over the last year.

Apple’s market cap ranks No.3 among stocks traded on US exchanges. It trails only Microsoft (MSFT) at $257 billion and Exxon Mobil (XOM) at $322 billion. Several analysts recently increased their price targets for Apple to more than $300. Apple trades at an all-time high of over $238 a share. If the stock does rise by 26% to $300, the firm’s market cap would be $272 billion. Microsoft’s stock could gain 5% and Apple would still take the No.2 spot in market value.

http://247wallst.com/2010/04/06/apples-market-cap-may-pass-microsofts-soon/

Like I said, you keep using your vivid imagination on message boards, and I'll keep choosing to buy reliable products and the stock of the companies that are making those products.

:)

baja
04-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Great article. It's cool that Apple came up with the idea of marketing their product. Who would have Ever thought of that?

Anyway, yea... Apple is having all sorts of problems...

Apple’s Market Cap May Pass Microsoft’s Soon
Apple’s market value has reached $218 billion and is rising. Due to investor appreciation of Apple’s innovation, rapidly rising revenue and net income, and powerful brand, the price of the firm’s stock is up 110% over the last year.

Apple’s market cap ranks No.3 among stocks traded on US exchanges. It trails only Microsoft (MSFT) at $257 billion and Exxon Mobil (XOM) at $322 billion. Several analysts recently increased their price targets for Apple to more than $300. Apple trades at an all-time high of over $238 a share. If the stock does rise by 26% to $300, the firm’s market cap would be $272 billion. Microsoft’s stock could gain 5% and Apple would still take the No.2 spot in market value.

http://247wallst.com/2010/04/06/apples-market-cap-may-pass-microsofts-soon/

Like I said, you keep using your vivid imagination on message boards, and I'll keep choosing to buy reliable products and the stock of the companies that are making those products.

:)

Apple is getting too big I wish there were a new computer company rising up from the mists.

Popps
04-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Apple is getting too big I wish there were a new computer company rising up from the mists.

I actually agree. I worry about the Toyota effect, at some point. Thus far, the products/OS have maintained what I expect from them. But, you always worry about too big too fast. I will say, Jobs is a micromanager, and that has probably led to a stricter quality control measure being put in place. What will happen when he steps down? Who knows.

But, I run 7 machines in various capacities for my business... and they're rock solid workhorses. I kick the **** out of these things on a daily basis. I've got one at my main office I don't think I've turned off since 2004. I never have to think about my systems... ever. I read about these "upgrade problems" with every new Windows and I wouldn't even know what that means. Honestly, I've never had an upgrade problem... ever. I wouldn't know what it looks like.

That reliability lends to production, and I do worry about the company growing to such an extent that it becomes a clumsy, sloppy mess like Windows has been over the last decade.

If it does, I'll simply move to whatever platform/machine DOES give me the production/reliability I need. I'm not playing shooter games in the basement. I can't afford ANY downtime on any of these units.

broncosteven
04-08-2010, 05:06 PM
I actually agree. I worry about the Toyota effect, at some point. ....

Maybe they will be calling it the iPad effect in a couple quarters but MAYBE by then IF Apple sells more product, they COULD pass Microsoft.

I really didn't realize that Apple was subserviant to MS in both Market Cap and product offerings until you pointed it out.

Maybe Applephytes really do feel inferior to MS users and that will change for them once Apple wrests the Market cap lead from MS.

LOL

Killericon
04-08-2010, 05:13 PM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-20002079-265.html

Still glad I don't have an iPhone or iPad.

Eldorado
04-08-2010, 05:18 PM
The day Apple can get rid of 'virtual PC' is the day I will buy an apple.

Jori
04-08-2010, 05:18 PM

Yes, right on!

Then that G4 crap took over...that was a sad day :(

elsid13
04-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Why does Apple hate Flash?

bowtown
04-08-2010, 05:42 PM

Their war waging against the company that makes their flagship suite is an odd thing, isn't it?

elsid13
04-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Their war waging against the company that makes their flagship suite is an odd thing, isn't it?

I guess so. I always thought MacroMedia/now Adobe produced some great development tools and they were the cutting edge when I was in charge of SD projects.

bowtown
04-08-2010, 05:52 PM
I guess so. I always thought MacroMedia/now Adobe produced some great development tools and they were the cutting edge when I was in charge of SD projects.

They still do, and I think Apple really needs them for their computers. HTML5 will probably eventually be a better platform for video, which I think is why Apple doesn't find Flash necessary for media consumption devices like the iPad and iPhone. That said, Jobs has made some pretty derogitory remarks about Adobe recently, and it seems at odds with the Mac reliance on them.

elsid13
04-08-2010, 05:54 PM
They still do, and I think Apple really needs them for their computers. HTML5 will probably evenetually be a better platform for video, which I think is why Apple doesn't find Flash necessary for media consumption devices like the iPad and iPhone. That said, Jobs has made some pretty derogitory remarks about Adobe recently, and it seems at odds with the Mac reliance on them.

Probably hates that Abode is better software company then Apple is now.

Popps
04-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I really didn't realize that Apple was subserviant to MS in both Market Cap and product offerings until you pointed it out.

"Subserviant?" Better grab a dictionary, boss.

If you're saying you didn't realize Microsoft had a larger market cap than Apple until now... that could explain why you sound so woefully unqualified to be giving sermons on the subject.

hookemhess
04-08-2010, 06:20 PM
They should make an iPad with a fold-out keyboard that sits on your lap.

baja
04-08-2010, 06:29 PM

Ya and they could call it the lap pad ya that's the ticket

Popps
04-08-2010, 07:00 PM

Hilarious!

orange&blue87
04-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Probably hates that Abode is better software company then Apple is now.

The only places they compete are in Lightroom/Aperture and Flash/Quicktime. I doubt that Apple believes that anyone would use Pages over InDesign. Pages is built for a quick, template based, non-designer that wants something decent quick. InDesign is IMO the best application for publication design. It's a force rivaled weakly by Quirk Xpress. Photoshop has no real competition.

Flash wasn't written well for OSX, it takes too much power to operate and can be a bit cumbersome. I like the direction HTML5 is headed. I prefer .264 to .flv, I like the approach Apple has taken. They are in a position to make a change to a wonky status quo and consumers are better for it. Google (YouTube), ABC, and many others are going out of the way to make a change that works on the system. These are positives, not negatives.

broncosteven
04-08-2010, 08:22 PM
"Subserviant?" Better grab a dictionary, boss.

If you're saying you didn't realize Microsoft had a larger market cap than Apple until now... that could explain why you sound so woefully unqualified to be giving sermons on the subject.

I think the use of Subserviant = useful in an inferior capacity, was right on the money, I couldn't have comeup with a better word.

1st off, Boss, I was joking hence the LOL at the bottom of the post.

2nd the market share doesn't drive the products I use.

I think being a Manager of an IT Network services and my multiple high level vendor certifications and over 20 years of all levels of IT experience from Desktop, Server, highlevel Networking, SAN, Security etc... makes me a qualified enough to speak on the topic of Desktop systems a little more than someone who does production work and knows the stock portfoilio of 2 players in the large Industry that is IT.

I have connected and supported more OS's than you have ever heard of Popps.

Sassy
04-08-2010, 08:34 PM

Yep. Love the little messages on my IPOD saying this device does not support flashplayer.

Popps
04-08-2010, 09:57 PM
I think the use of Subserviant = useful in an inferior capacity, was right on the money, I couldn't have comeup with a better word..

Inferior? Sorry, barking up the wrong tree. By any metric you wish to use, Apple leads or is near the top of the league in reliability and customer satisfaction... and apparently, market-cap isn't far behind. So, you can yap to hear yourself talk, but it's just that. Yapping.

2nd the market share doesn't drive the products I use. .

I've used Apple for over 15 years, when the stock was trading at $7.

So, I'm not sure if you have a point there or not. Judging by your other posts, it's unlikely.

I think being a Manager of an IT Network services and my multiple high level vendor certifications and over 20 years

You can trot out your credentials all you want. It doesn't change the fact that the consumer has spoken on this issue.

Beyond that, I've never met a real IT professional who had used both platforms extensively that had so much animosity. Our network facility employs hundreds of Macs and Windows based machines. (Care to guess which ones need constant attention?) All three of our engineers use Macs for personal use, though they don't display any of the creepy animosity towards one OS/manufacturer you seem to display. They simply state that both have their pros and cons, but all three on our floor have Macbooks sitting at their desk for personal use.

Again, remember... you're the one who felt the need to attack others for their choice of a piece of technology. As with just about any other facet in life... confident, sure individuals rarely need to seek out others who have made different choices to attack them.

Anyway, you pretty much said yourself you don't know what's going on in the industry. So, I'm not sure why you feel you need to be lecturing people here.

GoBroncos DownUnder
04-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Well... I originally went to school for prepress (graphic imaging), and even though I know Print is not dead, it certainly is not driving the field it once was.

Print IS dead in the water, make no mistake about it. I think most print companies are just trying to "outlast" each other at the moment, to see who can be the "last one" with all the local business.

Adobe need to ease up on the CS# crap, and work on smaller packages based on intended output - Web, Video, Photography or Print. I mean I don't need any new apps for work, at home I'm all interested, but at work every time they jeopardize my payrise I say "**** you Adobe" ... and "DOUBLE **** you Quark - for being totally UNcompetitive!";)

I'm actually looking forward to the first time we get to endure some ass pulling out his I-phone or I-Pad at a press check - opening their Pantone colormatch app and trying to give instruction on why the colors are wrong! Hilarious!

Killericon
04-08-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm shocked noone has jumped on the ad platform being announced.

The patent is for the technology to force you to view an ad before you make a phonecall.

chadta
04-09-2010, 05:25 AM
Inferior? Sorry, barking up the wrong tree. By any metric you wish to use, Apple leads or is near the top of the league in reliability and customer satisfaction... and apparently, market-cap isn't far behind. So, you can yap to hear yourself talk, but it's just that. Yapping..

http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/macq108.jpg

14 % isnt far behind ?

hey apple does lead in the expensive computer section tho, which just proves some people like paying more, higher price dosent always mean better quality.

Again, remember... you're the one who felt the need to attack others for their choice of a piece of technology.

if by attack you mean actually reply when the mac cult starts spewing off about how great mac is and everything else is junk then yeah your right.

scorpio
04-09-2010, 06:07 AM
Apple = AOL for hipsters.

DenverBound
04-09-2010, 06:27 AM
This is the thread that never endsss, Yes it goes on and on my friendsss, Some asshole, started typing not knowing what he'd done and people keep on typing **** and posting just for fun.

http://alanine.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/lamb-chops-play-along.jpg

snowspot66
04-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Well this is lovely. I think my Mac Book just keeled over and gave up the ghost. Not even three years into it.

I blame this thread.

bowtown
04-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Can we get Baja working on the cost/year calculations right away?

baja
04-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Can we get Baja working on the cost/year calculations right away?

I can't my computer is broken

broncosteven
04-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Inferior? Sorry, barking up the wrong tree. By any metric you wish to use, Apple leads or is near the top of the league in reliability and customer satisfaction... and apparently, market-cap isn't far behind. So, you can yap to hear yourself talk, but it's just that. Yapping.

But in a USEFUL SORT OF WAY. I never said it wasn't useful.

I've used Apple for over 15 years, when the stock was trading at $7.

So, I'm not sure if you have a point there or not. Judging by your other posts, it's unlikely.

I don't get your point then. I thought your point was that you make your decisions based on it being an industry leader and #2 in market cap? I guess if you bought your 1st device when it was trading at 7 bucks a share it was no where near IBM who was the desktop leader at that time.

You can trot out your credentials all you want. It doesn't change the fact that the consumer has spoken on this issue.

Beyond that, I've never met a real IT professional who had used both platforms extensively that had so much animosity. Our network facility employs hundreds of Macs and Windows based machines. (Care to guess which ones need constant attention?)

Hundreds? At our high point I supported connectivity to 3,500 desktops at over 75 sites which ranged from 2 doctors at the smallest to 50 docs at the larger clinics.

All three of our engineers use Macs for personal use, though they don't display any of the creepy animosity towards one OS/manufacturer you seem to display. They simply state that both have their pros and cons, but all three on our floor have Macbooks sitting at their desk for personal use.

If I ran a Graphics or Music Production Design network I am sure I would have a Protools Mac rig but I would guess I would have to have a Win7 setup running Cakewalk also. I have always said Mac does somethings well. Is it a be all end all device? Nope. The fact that you need to have a Dual boot of a MS OS on your Mac to do what you need proves that.

Again, remember... you're the one who felt the need to attack others for their choice of a piece of technology. As with just about any other facet in life... confident, sure individuals rarely need to seek out others who have made different choices to attack them.

You don't like people that have opinions much do you? Your the one always looking for a fight be it over mCd and his moves (He even admits to not being ready for the Draft and not utilizing players like Royal) or your vaunted Apple products.

I have used Mac's and SUPPORTED Mac users when they needed help. For my money I prefer the Intel based PC platform running Win 7. I have stated plenty of OPINIONS on a lot of topics. I have't bashed anything outside of one toung-in-cheek post which I was hoping would end this endless thread.

Anyway, you pretty much said yourself you don't know what's going on in the industry. So, I'm not sure why you feel you need to be lecturing people here.

My focus has always been the products and what they do, when vendors start asking what the market cap of the stock for each quarter during the life of the product on their Certifications then I will give a flying ****.

The fact that you admit to buying the product back when it was trading at $7 shows that you were willing to take a chance on the product because you liked what it did, you must not have been that concerned that the product would have been around for it's life while the company was trading so low.

You don't seem to understand your limited visibilty about your product let alone the competition's. Your the one lecturing me and putting words in my mouth. Attend some IT tech conferences in your area, get certified on your product, talk to IT Managers in Healthcare, Education, Finance, manufacturing then come back and tell me what the IT Industry consensus is. I think you will find that in the big picture Apple is an after thought outside of the iPhone. Good for Production houses and design firms that just need it to work, that has always been their strong suit.

There is a reason Best Buy has row after row of Windows based PC's and maybe one or 2 token Mac's for sale.

If you were in any other field out side of production industry I think you might realize it. Take the blinders off my...um...friend.

Durango
04-09-2010, 01:32 PM
How long did it take you to separate, outline and post all that? And you say you don't lecture? It's incredible that you feel so strongly biased about a computer platform when every generation of whatever brand or operating system is only designed and created to move the entire industry forward. Without the innovations of early Apple, IBM may've never thought of the mouse although it seems like such an obvious tool now. While I have no-where near your expertise in current computer hardware, it seems obvious to me you do have so much contempt for Apple that you are blind to the remarkable achievements added to the industry over the life of it's concept, proprietary or not. Apple is a proprietary product, PC is universal. Both can do the same things, some better than the other. You want cheap and functional across a wide spectrum of software, PC is your machine. You want more product confidence, simplicity, security and anticipatory innovation, you cough up the extra bucks and buy Mac. That's really the sum total, isn't it?

broncosteven
04-09-2010, 02:20 PM
How long did it take you to separate, outline and post all that?

No longer than it took Popps to do the same earlier in the thread. It is easy with Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V

And you say you don't lecture? It's incredible that you feel so strongly biased about a computer platform when every generation of whatever brand or operating system is only designed and created to move the entire industry forward.

I have Opinions, I have stated many times that I have used Apple products and they fit a niche and do it well.

Without the innovations of early Apple, IBM may've never thought of the mouse although it seems like such an obvious tool now.

Ummmmmm IBM didn't invent the mouse. Xerox had the 1st working mouse. It is well documented that both Jobs and Gates were "Inspired" to develop the GUI concept with the mouse as an interface after visiting the Xerox PARC labs late in the 70's.

While I have no-where near your expertise in current computer hardware, it seems obvious to me you do have so much contempt for Apple that you are blind to the remarkable achievements added to the industry over the life of it's concept, proprietary or not. Apple is a proprietary product, PC is universal. Both can do the same things, some better than the other.

Are you talking about Apple as a company or a specific product in the Apple line? I have been going back and forth about their desktop OS's.

You want cheap and functional across a wide spectrum of software, PC is your machine. You want more product confidence, simplicity, security and anticipatory innovation, you cough up the extra bucks and buy Mac. That's really the sum total, isn't it?

I could agree with that opinion a couple years ago but with Windows 7 MS could supplant Macs and in my OPINION Apple needs to innovate with new hardware platforms to keep or create a niche. It will be interesting to see how the iPad impacts the way we interface with computers over the next few years. For now I love my i5 quad core running Win7.

I am allowed to have and defend my opinion right?

Popps
04-09-2010, 05:11 PM
But in a USEFUL SORT OF WAY. I never said it wasn't useful.

I don't get your point then. I thought your point was that you make your decisions based on it being an industry leader and #2 in market cap? I guess if you bought your 1st device when it was trading at 7 bucks a share it was no where near IBM who was the desktop leader at that time..

I never said to purchase things based on market cap. What I said was, the company's products make customers happy and are reliable. Hence, the company is gaining on massive dinosaurs like Microsoft, who spent the last decade essentially ****ing up each operating system worse than the prior.

As for IBM, Apple integrated a large number of IBM components into their products for a good part of the 90s and early 2000s. Someone of your supposed credentials should know that. But, as you've proven... you seem to just like to hear yourself talk.

Hundreds? At our high point I supported connectivity to 3,500 desktops at over 75 sites which ranged from 2 doctors at the smallest to 50 docs at the larger clinics..

Can your dad beat up my dad, too?

There are hundreds of computers in our BUILDING, probably tens of thousands in our company.

The sample size was plenty big to illustrate a simple point, that our IT pros show no creepy animosity towards technology companies that you seem to. I don't find them trolling message boards looking for computer users to insult. Then again, I'm 100% confident they understand their craft and their industry. You've illustrated that you know very little, thus far.

I have always said Mac does somethings well. Is it a be all end all device? Nope. .

... and of course, we all know for CERTAIN that Windows isn't a be-all-end-all. The irony here is that your average computer user (read: 95% of the public) is probably better served by the OSX platform.

The fact that you need to have a Dual boot of a MS OS on your Mac to do what you need proves that..

Again, spoken like someone with little or no knowledge of what they're speaking.

Mac can boot into Windows.

Can your HP boot into Mac? No. So, tell me again which hardware set is inferior?

Your the one lecturing me and putting words in my mouth.

"Your the one?" Nice.

As for lecturing, you'd better re-read the thread again, skipper. You chose to jump in barfing out your supposed credentials and making claims about products, and subsequently proving that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Maybe in the future you can mind your own business, or at least educate yourself on the subject matter before choosing to attack people over a simple product purchase.

baja
04-09-2010, 05:16 PM
BMO ups its iPad sales estimate 30%
Posted by Philip Elmer-DeWitt
March 25, 2010 12:00 PM

Analyst sees Apple taking 35% to 40% of the tablet and e-reader market in 2010

Photos: Apple Inc.

In a note to clients issued Thursday, BMO Capital's Keith Bachman offers several reasons for raising his price target on Apple (AAPL) to $265 a share from $250, including a 17% increase in Mac sales and the likelihood that the company will release a new iPhone in June.

But the biggest change in his model — and the subject that dominates the bulk of his report — is his iPad forecast. Bachman's initial estimate — that Apple would sell 2.5 million units in fiscal 2010 and 5.5 million in fiscal 2011 — was smack in the middle of the analyst pack when he made it in January.

He's now saying that 2.5 million "may be conservative" given how many iPads he believes Apple is building, and he's raised his fiscal 2011 estimate to 7.2 million — a 30.09% increase.

His reasoning:

IDC forecasts 6 million tablet devices and 5 million e-readers will be sold in calendar 2010. Bachman thinks Apple is a cinch to grab 35% to 40% of that business.
He believes the tablet category will grow 50% to 100% in calendar 2011, which works out to a total accessible market of 17 to 22 million units next year.
The e-reader category, he believes, will double between 2009 and 2010 to 5 million units, and continued rapid growth in 2011, he says, is a "reasonable assumption."
Although iPhone sales grew nearly 80% in its second year and iPod sales grew 450% in its third and fourth years, he believes the iPad faces more competition than either of those devices so his growth estimate is actually relatively modest.
Finally, he believes it's not unreasonable — given the depth of the App Store's software library — to expect the iPad to capture 11% of the netbook market, which he estimates will be 40 million units in calendar 2010.
One eye-opening footnote: ultra-low voltage notebook computers running Microsoft (MSFT) Windows 7, Bachman says, takes at least 2 minutes to boot up. Consumers who pick up an iPad will find it is considerably more responsive.

Popps
04-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Ha!

Funny. True story.

Just walked by my scheduling manager's office. He calls me in and asks me what kind of computer I use at home. I tell him I have a bunch, but primarily Macs. He's a PC guy, but we installed the new 22" iMacs on our floor last week. (Long awaited.)
He asked me a few questions, but basically... after having one in his office for less than a week, he's looking into purchasing one for his home. Just funny to hear him raving about the thing after having it for such a short time period.

chadta
04-09-2010, 06:05 PM
... and of course, we all know for CERTAIN that Windows isn't a be-all-end-all. The irony here is that your average computer user (read: 95% of the public) is probably better served by the OSX platform.

but that same 95% that just browse the internet, and check email were served just fine with windows 3.1 or mac system 7, otherwise i agree with that point.

hell until last year when i got my kids newer used computers for christmas they had 400 mhz P2's running win XP with 256 meg of ram, and it ran just fine for them, they didnt know any better. I woulda loved to got them macs, not to turn them into cult members like popps, but to expose them to both machines so that they can be comfortable on anything, the same reason i have them in french immersion at school, the more they know the better off they will be.

Can your HP boot into Mac? No. So, tell me again which hardware set is inferior?

but why does it need to if macs are so super awesome ?

imagine a ford taurus with a toyota motor in it, if ford was run like apple that might be a reality

broncosteven
04-09-2010, 06:19 PM
I never said to purchase things based on market cap. What I said was, the company's products make customers happy and are reliable. Hence, the company is gaining on massive dinosaurs like Microsoft, who spent the last decade essentially ****ing up each operating system worse than the prior.

As for IBM, Apple integrated a large number of IBM components into their products for a good part of the 90s and early 2000s. Someone of your supposed credentials should know that. But, as you've proven... you seem to just like to hear yourself talk.

Can your dad beat up my dad, too?

There are hundreds of computers in our BUILDING, probably tens of thousands in our company.

The sample size was plenty big to illustrate a simple point, that our IT pros show no creepy animosity towards technology companies that you seem to. I don't find them trolling message boards looking for computer users to insult. Then again, I'm 100% confident they understand their craft and their industry. You've illustrated that you know very little, thus far.

Again, spoken like someone with little or no knowledge of what they're speaking.

"Your the one?" Nice.

As for lecturing, you'd better re-read the thread again, skipper. You chose to jump in barfing out your supposed credentials and making claims about products, and subsequently proving that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Maybe in the future you can mind your own business, or at least educate yourself on the subject matter before choosing to attack people over a simple product purchase.

This is getting tiresome. You keep going off on new tangents trying to prove you know something about the IT industry. This will never end if you keep spinning new ever more lame rants bringing up IBM and Apple working together just at my mere mention of IBM? WTF? It is as if your googleing info to support whatever new argument you find to distract from the real points. Who cares if Mac can boot into Windows, fact is you have to boot into Windows to run some apps. That is my point.

You don't want to stay on point.

I have said all along that Mac's are good for somethings, great for others, inferior to others. The same can be said for any product get over it.

I also have the opinion that Win 7 is the OS I ever encountered (which includes Lepoard). That is my OPINION, but you have never liked it when I, or anyone here, have an Opinion that differs from yours.

I pointed out that Letterman had trouble using the iPad and had to resort to his 3x5 cards. You don't like it that I opened an Apple thread on a Football forum in the offseason? If I were really "Trolling" insighting mass hysteria in the Apple userbase I would have done so on a freaking Apple based board, dumbass.

I might as well go tell some local production companies how to do their jobs because I have used Photoshop to paint some mustaches on mCd pictures I found on the InTErneTs this one time and they are doing it wrong.

tsiguy96
04-09-2010, 06:23 PM
worst argument ever? pick the one you like and be done with it, quit crying if others dont like the same thing or if you dont like what others do.

broncosteven
04-09-2010, 06:28 PM
worst argument ever? pick the one you like and be done with it, quit crying if others dont like the same thing or if you dont like what others do.

I concur, this needs to go to the butt.

Dagmar
04-09-2010, 06:31 PM

It's utterly pathetic isn't it? I like my PC with Windows 7, my wife loves the macs she uses at school. She has a PC laptop. We like our machines and they do the job. I may just delete the thread.

Popps
04-09-2010, 07:55 PM
This is getting tiresome. You keep going off on new tangents trying to prove you know something about the IT industry. .

Really? I thought you were the one that bashed people, followed by barfing out your credentials on why you're so fit to attack people's preferences.

TWho cares if Mac can boot into Windows, fact is you have to boot into Windows to run some apps. That is my point.

What's your point, that some apps may run more efficiently or not at all on one platform or another? Wow, thanks for that news-flash.

As for booting into Windows, I simply offered proof that my hardware set is perfectly capable of running MULTIPLE operating systems.

Yours is not. Yet, you're here to insult and attack people?

Again, maybe figuring out what you're talking about will help you avoid further embarrassment.

T If I were really "Trolling" insighting mass hysteria in the Apple userbase I would have done so on a freaking Apple based board, dumbass..

Dumbass?

You've shown yourself to be almost completely ignorant on the subject, despite your alleged expertise. Your attitude about technology in general pretty clearly illustrates that you're indeed not an expert.

Again, Leo Laporte is one of the premiere authorities on technology and has forgotten more about Windows than you'll ever know. He's deeply familiar with both platforms, and yet chooses to use Macs as his primary machines.

I don't know any true tech pro who has used both platforms that have the silly, petty opinions you're here spewing.

companies how to do their jobs because I have used Photoshop to paint some mustaches on mCd pictures I found on the InTErneTs this one time and they are doing it wrong.

That paragraph made about as much sense as the rest of your nonsense. Just a waste of bandwidth.

Why don't you run along and find yourself a thread on toasters and hijack it. I'm sure you're an "expert" on those as well.

Popps
04-09-2010, 07:57 PM

Agree.

I haven't posted in the "Windows Compatible" thread on the front page.

Why? I just don't need to go attack people for their choices. I'm confident in mine... why would I need to go on that thread and insult people?

Popps
04-09-2010, 07:58 PM
I concur, this needs to go to the butt.

Hilarious!

Says troll #1.

Que
04-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Just got an iPad. Thing is pretty damn cool. Wicked impressed with the battery life. Love streaming movies from Netflix.

Also, broncosteven - dude, you need to step away from the PC and go get some fresh air.

TailgateNut
04-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Is this thread about a feminine hygiene product???

:spit:

baja
04-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Just got an iPad. Thing is pretty damn cool. Wicked impressed with the battery life. Love streaming movies from Netflix.

Also, broncosteven - dude, you need to step away from the PC and go get some fresh air.

Which one did you get?

theAPAOps5
04-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Loud noises!

I don't know what we are yelling about!

baja
04-09-2010, 11:30 PM
My main reservation is the storage, 64G is really small if you want to store music and photos. Is there a way to use an external HD? How do you load photos? Thanks

theAPAOps5
04-10-2010, 07:24 AM
An external HD would defeat the purpose of a portable media/internets device Baja.

But 64G for something that isn't an every day computer but more for reading the internet listening to music, reading books, etc is plenty.

You can transfer files you aren't using anymore to an external HD to free up space.

bowtown
04-10-2010, 07:37 AM
How is it that Apple hasn't done any thing with Lala yet? I really expected them to announce some sort of robust cloud with the iPad. I'd guess it's right around the corner.

baja
04-10-2010, 08:09 AM
An external HD would defeat the purpose of a portable media/internets device Baja.

But 64G for something that isn't an every day computer but more for reading the internet listening to music, reading books, etc is plenty.

You can transfer files you aren't using anymore to an external HD to free up space.

Just my music alone is a 50 G file. I guess I don't need to put my music on the device considering I have it on my computer and two i pods and backed up on an external drive. How do you use peripheral devices if there is no USB port .

baja
04-10-2010, 08:13 AM
How is it that Apple hasn't done any thing with Lala yet? I really expected them to announce some sort of robust cloud with the iPad. I'd guess it's right around the corner.

I'm the IT guy for all of Mexico so I can barely bring myself to talk to you but what is that.

bowtown
04-10-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm the IT guy for all of Mexico so I can barely bring myself to talk to you but what is that.

It's a service for storing and accessing all your music in a cloud. Apple purchased them last year. Google is making a huge push with Chrome to store everything in the cloud, and I have to imagine Apple isn't far behind. Once that happens, it won't matter how much space you have on your computer. You will only need the bare minimum to run your local software and apps.

baja
04-10-2010, 08:39 AM
It's a service for storing and accessing all your music in a cloud. Apple purchased them last year. Google is making a huge push with Chrome to store everything in the cloud, and I have to imagine Apple isn't far behind. Once that happens, it won't matter how much space you have on your computer. You will only need the bare minimum to run your local software and apps.

Wow how close is that to being available?

orange&blue87
04-10-2010, 08:48 AM
I'm shocked noone has jumped on the ad platform being announced.

The patent is for the technology to force you to view an ad before you make a phonecall.

You might want to watch the keynote. I didn't feel that way at all. The audience seemed a bit nervous about accepting an ad based system, but I felt the implementation of the ads was pretty well done. They don't appear to be invasive, and I don't foresee you being forced to watch an ad before you can make a phone call.

No company would be dumb enough to pull that, imagine the ramifications of such an act during an emergency. The demo had ads within applications, which is already occurring. Apple has just developed a way to keep the feeling of ads consistent.

I'm sure that many of their users, myself included, have no issue with ads. Most of the apps on my phone are free, so if I have to watch an ad to keep getting free content, I am very comfortable with it. If I pay 4.99 and the developer feels that ads are needed, that is fine with me too. If I feel that the ads are getting too obtrusive, I likely won't purchase future apps from them.

Most of the content in the store is relatively cheap. I found it laughable when I read the ratings of At Bat 2010 and saw how many people were outraged by the $15 price tag. The app delivers audio from either team for all games in the season. You can watch games for .99 each at your choosing or subscribe to the entire MLB season for less than $125. You also get a random game of the day to watch for free. If you do get the subscription, you get access online as well. It's a very competitive deal compared to Xtra Innings which is $200 and can only be watched at home.

That was long winded, but the point is, that there are a lot of people who want everything for nothing. That is a model that cannot succeed for developers. Without them, the phone is just another phone, and all phones would be essentially equal and would be used to only dial phone numbers.

broncosteven
04-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Hilarious!

Says troll #1.

Popps, Maybe we can meet at the next OM weekend and talk Tech and Broncos over a couple beers.

I will keep the Ambien back at the hotel.

baja
04-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Popps, Maybe we can meet at the next OM weekend and talk Tech and Broncos over a couple beers.

Did you delete your poll thread?

broncosteven
04-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Did you delete your poll thread?

Yep, I didn't remember writing it last night the quality of the posts degraded the later it got. but it served a purpose, it was like 12 -2 that I should bail so I am unsubscribing from this one.

baja
04-10-2010, 10:21 AM
www.maxmyspeed.com has no app for apple

Que
04-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Baja - I just got the 16gig. It is more of a family machine and our iPhones are usually pretty empty. You can also accesss files remotely pretty easily. That being said, it is a different device I can easily see loading the thing up with pics and especially movies. I may swap it for a 32. The iPad specific apps are much larger than the iPhone ones.

Now here is the funniest feedback that i have thus far - the keyboard is too damn big. Lol. I am so used to the iPhone keyboard that the big one is well too big. I'll get used to it I am sure.

Popps
04-10-2010, 11:48 AM

Sounds good. I won't need Ambien. You'll probably bore me to sleep, anyway.

I kid, I kid. :)

ZachKC
04-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Love it.

It is a great fit for the photography studio to show off the portfolio on the go. Am planning a way to integrate into wedding gigs as well as use it for POS sales.

Total awesomeness for me personally.

tsiguy96
04-10-2010, 01:14 PM
i will buy one as soon as they allow you to run background programs and have USB support. i wont get my hopes up.

baja
04-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Baja - I just got the 16gig. It is more of a family machine and our iPhones are usually pretty empty. You can also accesss files remotely pretty easily. That being said, it is a different device I can easily see loading the thing up with pics and especially movies. I may swap it for a 32. The iPad specific apps are much larger than the iPhone ones.

Now here is the funniest feedback that i have thus far - the keyboard is too damn big. Lol. I am so used to the iPhone keyboard that the big one is well too big. I'll get used to it I am sure.

I guess I can access my mobile me account. I guess I can file share with my power book too. Why in God's name did they not provide a USB port and more importantly is there a good work around. How do you load pics from your camera

Popps
04-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Love it.

It is a great fit for the photography studio to show off the portfolio on the go. Am planning a way to integrate into wedding gigs as well as use it for POS sales.

Total awesomeness for me personally.

Interesting.

Seems to me to be that kind of device. One that I don't necessarily need, but if I had it... I'd find a ton of uses for it. Especially with a business, kids, etc.

Popps
04-10-2010, 01:27 PM
I guess I can access my mobile me account. I guess I can file share with my power book too. Why in God's name did they not provide a USB port and more importantly is there a good work around. How do you load pics from your camera

I think the thought is that it's driven by your computer, to some extent. So, you'd sync to your main picture library, just like your iphone.

orange&blue87
04-10-2010, 01:29 PM
They have a 30 pin connector, same as the one for charging, that you can plug an SD card into to upload photos...

In complete sincerity, why is the USB connector needed so badly? I have yet to find a need for it. Just curious.

baja
04-10-2010, 01:33 PM
This is a good tour of all the features.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

baja
04-10-2010, 01:36 PM
They have a 30 pin connector, same as the one for charging, that you can plug an SD card into to upload photos...

In complete sincerity, why is the USB connector needed so badly? I have yet to find a need for it. Just curious.

all my cameras use USB

orange&blue87
04-10-2010, 01:37 PM
all my cameras use USB

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531?mco=MTc0MjU1ODU

tsiguy96
04-10-2010, 01:44 PM

would just be nice to be able to hook stuff up to it. make it a bit more computer like to be able to hook say a printer up and print out an email (dunno if ipad can do that through bluetooth, doubt it). more importantly though, it needs to be able to run background programs.

baja
04-10-2010, 01:44 PM

ya I just saw that on the tutorial and it totally solves my problem. Thanks

orange&blue87
04-10-2010, 01:54 PM
would just be nice to be able to hook stuff up to it. make it a bit more computer like to be able to hook say a printer up and print out an email (dunno if ipad can do that through bluetooth, doubt it). more importantly though, it needs to be able to run background programs.

It can do wireless printing. If you feel that it needs to run background programs, awesome, I don't really see a need for it, but it will be on the platform this fall when OS 4 is released for the iPad.

I think too many are expecting this to be a full fledged MacBook. This, to me, is a perfect travel companion, around the house gadget, and take to a ballgame or corner cafe device, than a computer could possibly be. I feel that I still need the desktop and perhaps laptop, but I hate carrying the MBP around all the the time. The iPad suits my needs pretty well, but if you don't see it as such a device then I can completely see it as "lacking".

davidtkd
04-10-2010, 01:57 PM

I have the 32gb model and i love this thing! I am. Sitting here in a dark theatre watching a rehearsal and this thing is keeping me good company. I see a lot of potential for it in my day to day life (tons of meetings).

baja
04-10-2010, 02:08 PM
I wonder if it is worth waiting for the 3G model/ I'm thinking jail break to use all the extra apps

tsiguy96
04-10-2010, 02:10 PM
It can do wireless printing. If you feel that it needs to run background programs, awesome, I don't really see a need for it, but it will be on the platform this fall when OS 4 is released for the iPad.

I think too many are expecting this to be a full fledged MacBook. This, to me, is a perfect travel companion, around the house gadget, and take to a ballgame or corner cafe device, than a computer could possibly be. I feel that I still need the desktop and perhaps laptop, but I hate carrying the MBP around all the the time. The iPad suits my needs pretty well, but if you don't see it as such a device then I can completely see it as "lacking".

i think its great for what it is, but it needs to have a but more functionality than a regular ipod does, and it doesnt. not a lot, but it needs to be more capable in doing very basic stuff like having multiple programs open ie an alarm clock, AIM, and a game.

baja
04-10-2010, 02:24 PM
i think its great for what it is, but it needs to have a but more functionality than a regular ipod does, and it doesnt. not a lot, but it needs to be more capable in doing very basic stuff like having multiple programs open ie an alarm clock, AIM, and a game.

Isn't that a software issue that can be added later?

Popps
04-10-2010, 03:05 PM
I wonder if it is worth waiting for the 3G model

[X] This

Popps
04-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Yep, I didn't remember writing it last night the quality of the posts degraded the later it got. but it served a purpose, it was like 12 -2 that I should bail so I am unsubscribing from this one.

A friend of mine's girlfriend videotaped him on an Ambien "trip" in the middle of the night. He woke up, went to the closet... put his girlfriend's mittens on and then proceeded to eat bowls of cereal in the kitchen... all the while, having conversations while being videotaped. He remembers none of it.

Dagmar
04-10-2010, 03:36 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/wirn6e.jpg

Dagmar
04-10-2010, 03:36 PM
http://www.clipartguide.com/_named_clipart_images/0511-0810-2705-1157_Fisherman_Wearing_a_Yellow_Rain_Slicker_clipa rt_image.jpg

baja
04-10-2010, 03:45 PM
That picture is not accurate it shows that you have already landed fish

tsiguy96
04-10-2010, 03:48 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/wirn6e.jpg

this is where apple gets frickin ridiculous, and i love my macbook. their desktop PC prices are absolutely incredibly high. not cool.

davidtkd
04-10-2010, 03:55 PM

Unlike the iPod, I can write documents, work on spreadsheets, create a keynote presentation on it. Netflix app is a very very cool thing as is the ABC viewer. Kindle on the iPad is better than kindle on a kindle. I can wirelessly move documents back and forth from my laptop with ease. Movies look great and then there is the Marvel Comic app. Just wow.

Oh, multi-tasking: http://tinyurl.com/ybe6qm7

tsiguy96
04-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Unlike the iPod, I can write documents, work on spreadsheets, create a keynote presentation on it. Netflix app is a very very cool thing as is the ABC viewer. Kindle on the iPad is better than kindle on a kindle. I can wirelessly move documents back and forth from my laptop with ease. Movies look great and then there is the Marvel Comic app. Just wow.

Oh, multi-tasking: http://tinyurl.com/ybe6qm7

the netflix thing is awesome, i watch netflix all the time. glad to see the multitasking option is near, ill buy one when its out.

baja
04-10-2010, 04:10 PM
the netflix thing is awesome, i watch netflix all the time. glad to see the multitasking option is near, ill buy one when its out.

I can't get netflix in Mexico - That sucks mucho

Fedaykin
04-10-2010, 04:15 PM
.. is something to avoid. If Apple doesn't approve of it, you can't run it on the iPhone/Pad (without breaking the DCMA).

Apple, now that is has some leverage, makes Microsoft seem down right neighborly. Quite ironic that the company that launched itself as the alternative to "Big Brother" IBM is now the worst Big Brother in the industry.

baja
04-10-2010, 04:16 PM
.. is something to avoid. If Apple doesn't approve of it, you can't run it on the iPhone/Pad (without breaking the DCMA).

Apple, now that is has some leverage, makes Microsoft seem down right neighborly. Quite ironic that the company that launched itself as the alternative to "Big Brother" IBM is now the worst Big Brother in the industry.

That's what jail break is for.

Fedaykin
04-10-2010, 04:19 PM
That's what jail break is for.

I shouldn't have to need to hack my own device (breaking the law in the process) to simply use it. It's the same as buying a Ford and being told you can only drive on Ford approved streets. It's bull**** -- and I won't financially support any company that engages in it.

baja
04-10-2010, 04:20 PM
I shouldn't have to need to hack my own device (breaking the law in the process) to simply use it. It's the same as buying a Ford and being told you can only drive on Ford approved streets. It's bull**** -- and I won't financially support any company that engages in it.

You're young aren't you. ;D

Fedaykin
04-10-2010, 04:21 PM
You're young aren't you. ;D

Why do you say that, because I won't buy something that's defective by design?

baja
04-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Why do you say that, because I won't buy something that's defective by design?

Na it just seems over time you learn to work with what is.

Fedaykin
04-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Na it just seems over time you learn to work with what is.

Why settle for Apple when other companies make better products that aren't intentionally crippled?

baja
04-10-2010, 04:32 PM
What do you recommend that serves as the ipad?

chadta
04-10-2010, 04:33 PM

netflix is now out for the wii

wanna talka bout a piece of equipment that does way more then i thought it would, somebody at nintendo really thought things out when they put out the wii.

will i use it for an internet browser ? no
will i used it to watch movies on netflix, maybe
will i use it to download demo games for my kids DS's hell yeah
will i use many of the other homebrew applicaitons being put out for it, all of which are completely free, heck yeah, probally alreayd using 20 or so of them
it plays all the last systems games (the game cube) right out of the box
super nintendo emulator supported by nintendo so everything works, play all the old school nintendo games when im feeling nostalgic

and the fun factor is HUGE, i laughed at the wii, it dosent have some of the relaly cool titles i wanted, but the kids wanted one, so we got one.

sorry about the totally unrelated post

Popps
04-10-2010, 04:37 PM
netflix is now out for the wii

wanna talka bout a piece of equipment that does way more then i thought it would, somebody at nintendo really thought things out when they put out the wii.

will i use it for an internet browser ? no
will i used it to watch movies on netflix, maybe
will i use it to download demo games for my kids DS's hell yeah
will i use many of the other homebrew applicaitons being put out for it, all of which are completely free, heck yeah, probally alreayd using 20 or so of them
it plays all the last systems games (the game cube) right out of the box
super nintendo emulator supported by nintendo so everything works, play all the old school nintendo games when im feeling nostalgic

and the fun factor is HUGE, i laughed at the wii, it dosent have some of the relaly cool titles i wanted, but the kids wanted one, so we got one.

sorry about the totally unrelated post

Agree. We got a Wii last year. Was surprised how versatile it was. Pretty sweet for 200 bucks.

Popps
04-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Why settle for Apple when other companies make better products that aren't intentionally crippled?

Just don't buy one.

No need to continue visiting the thread.

Can it be any simpler?

baja
04-10-2010, 04:48 PM
I guess my biggest regret is there is no built in camera for Skype video phone

davidtkd
04-10-2010, 04:55 PM
I guess my biggest regret is there is no built in camera for Skype video phone

I agree, but Jobs needs to hold on to something to lure us to buy iPad 2.0 right? :rofl: