PDA

View Full Version : So what's the latest news on Tom Brandstater?

ZONA
01-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Obviously we didn't get to see much of him in the regular season, as he was a project QB taken to sit and learn. Has there been any news of him lately? How has he looked in practice the last month or so compared to his training camp? Just trying to get some idea of where this guy is, if he would be in the running for possibly taking over the starters position or at least compete for it next year.

tsiguy96
01-26-2010, 06:17 PM
well find out in offseason. if ortons here, he starts next year no question. but tom may take over 2nd QB role, which will be very good to see in that he may be ready to take roll as starter ala matt cassel. except tom played in college.

DomCasual
01-26-2010, 06:19 PM
The latest news? I think he's pretty much kicking ass and taking names.

RhymesayersDU
01-26-2010, 06:21 PM
He's set to start opening day 2010.

ZONA
01-26-2010, 06:31 PM

Yeah, obviously there is no "news" per se but I was hoping that somebody here might have some inside knowledge as to what some of the coaches think about his progress during the season. Like, how much of the offense has he really grapsed, has his footwork and mechanics improved and how much, etc.

extralife
01-26-2010, 07:19 PM
but tom may take over 2nd QB role

how could he not? there's zero chance Simms is back, and if McD felt compelled to go out and find another QB, it'd be because Brandstater had nothing.

broncosteven
01-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Yeah, obviously there is no "news" per se but I was hoping that somebody here might have some inside knowledge as to what some of the coaches think about his progress during the season. Like, how much of the offense has he really grapsed, has his footwork and mechanics improved and how much, etc.

Don't expect any tidbits to flow out of Dove Valley any time soon. I am guessing McD is preaching loose lips sink ships and we are going to have to wait until TC for any real info.

Popps
01-26-2010, 07:26 PM
He was pretty unpolished coming out of school, or so the reports said.

But, you couldn't tell that by watching him in the preseason. He looked very comfortable in the pocket and made some nice throws.

This will be an easy tell. If we sign another veteran QB to the roster... that probably tells you what the staff thinks of him. If we DRAFT another guy, that will be your tell that either A. They like him as at least a #2 guy, or B. They want another kid to develop along with him as a potential QOTF.

KipCorrington25
01-26-2010, 07:27 PM
His hair has grown back.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Heard on the lightrail that he's rocking some handball.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Don't expect any tidbits to flow out of Dove Valley any time soon. I am guessing McD is preaching loose lips sink ships and we are going to have to wait until TC for any real info.

What are you expecting? Articles that talk about how great he looks in shorts, throwing to guys who aren't being covered with no pass rush?

If you need to read a dick sucking article, just head over CNNSI and read any article by Peter King about Brett Favre, and just substitute Bradstater's name in place of Favre's.

But yeah, it's really McD's fault because the organization is tight and there's not much to discuss in late January.

theAPAOps5
01-26-2010, 08:19 PM
I heard he pooped that corn

http://www.smsmoca.com/pics/921076

DBroncos4life
01-26-2010, 08:21 PM
I heard he pooped that corn

http://www.smsmoca.com/pics/921076

This seems like a good time for a joke I just heard.....

What's brown and rhymes with snoop?

Archer81
01-26-2010, 08:32 PM

Destroying downtown Tokyo and battling Mothra and Robo-Brandstater is a perfect offseason conditioning program.

:Broncos:

BizzyBone7
01-26-2010, 08:36 PM
This seems like a good time for a joke I just heard.....

What's brown and rhymes with snoop?

Dr. Dre

TheDave
01-26-2010, 08:42 PM
You know your in trouble when the fans are looking for the 3rd string QB.

rastaman
01-26-2010, 08:57 PM
well find out in offseason. if ortons here, he starts next year no question. but tom may take over 2nd QB role, which will be very good to see in that he may be ready to take roll as starter ala matt cassel. except tom played in college.

No ****! Gee how insightful! Did McDaniel's tell you this? ROFL!

Popps
01-26-2010, 09:04 PM
You know your in trouble when the fans are looking for the 3rd string QB.

Really?

I wouldn't say that at all.

What's the difference at discussing a back-up who has shown some potential, as opposed to discussing a draft pick who hasn't taken a snap in the NFL?

Simms is a joke, so Brandstater is a young, 2nd string QB, at this point. Why is anyone "in trouble" for discussing his future potential?

I mean, it's not like any back-ups have gone on to do anything in the league lately, right?

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/KurtWarner.jpg

http://theredzonereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/brady_super_bowl_trophy1.jpg

Popps
01-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Dr. Dre

Hilarious!

A+

TheDave
01-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Really?

What's the difference at discussing a back-up who has shown some potential, as opposed to discussing a draft pick who hasn't taken a snap in the NFL?

Simms is a joke, so Brandstater is a young, 2nd string QB, at this point. Why is anyone "in trouble" for discussing his future potential?

I mean, it's not like any back-ups have gone on to do anything in the league lately, right?

http://theredzonereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/brady_super_bowl_trophy1.jpg

The fan base is in for one hell of a let down if they are waiting for Brandy to turn inot the next Brady...

BroncoMan4ever
01-26-2010, 09:56 PM
he was brought in to be a backup last season, and that is all he will ever be.

jesus christ there is not another team in the league who has a fanbase wondering about the news on a 6th round, raw, project 25 year old 3rd string QB.

i really hope he gets ****ing cut, so we can stop with these threads about him.

ZONA
01-26-2010, 09:58 PM
The fan base is in for one hell of a let down if they are waiting for Brandy to turn inot the next Brady...

Yeah, because we were totally let down when we were waiting for Terrell Davis to turn into Walter Payton, oh wait, he did. Never mind.

DBroncos4life
01-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah, because we were totally let down when we were waiting for Terrell Davis to turn into Walter Payton, oh wait, he did. Never mind.

I guess we should stop drafting WR's because we found Rod Smith as a undrafted free agent right?

TheDave
01-26-2010, 10:02 PM

So you really are expecting Brandstater to be the next Brady... :spit:

ZONA
01-26-2010, 10:20 PM
So you really are expecting Brandstater to be the next Brady... :spit:

Nobody expected Tom Brady to be Tom Brady either. You just hope and sometimes it happens. Sometimes it's those guys you write off that turn out to be the good ones. I'm not saying Tom will, just that you never know until you get them some real playing time. I believe he has the tools to do it. They raved about how smart he was and he does have a good arm. I didn't see anything during preseason that made me think he has no chance. We all saw some very promising plays he made so I'm hoping he gets a chance next year to get the starting position. Hopefully a year of watching and learning has made him a better QB, we shall see.

BroncoMan4ever
01-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Nobody expected Tom Brady to be Tom Brady either. You just hope and sometimes it happens. Sometimes it's those guys you write off that turn out to be the good ones. I'm not saying Tom will, just that you never know until you get them some real playing time. I believe he has the tools to do it. They raved about how smart he was and he does have a good arm. I didn't see anything during preseason that made me think he has no chance. We all saw some very promising plays he made so I'm hoping he gets a chance next year to get the starting position. Hopefully a year of watching and learning has made him a better QB, we shall see.

nobody was hoping Brady would turn into the Montana of this generation(by the Montana comparison i mean overrated)

until he stepped onto the field as a backup for Bledsoe, he was just a backup. no one was talking about I wonder how that kid is coming along, do we have a future star in him. he was just a 6th round backup QB that was there in case of emergency and then he excelled and made the fanbase ecstatic, but prior to him coming onto the field due to emergency he was an afterthought

that is what a 6th round pick is. i don't care about the success prior late round picks had in NE, neither Brady or Cassell were originally drafted with the intention of being starters. a 6th round QB is brought in to sit on the bench and know the system so they could step in if emergency happened.

Popps
01-26-2010, 10:32 PM

No one is saying he will.

But, you'll need to go ahead and provide us with your history of predictive accuracy before we can go ahead and deem subjects unspeakable. Sound fair?

Until then, to channel my good friend Mock... STFU and buy a vowel.

We'll discuss what we feel like discussing.

TheDave
01-26-2010, 10:36 PM
No one is saying he will.

But, you'll need to go ahead and provide us with your history of predictive accuracy before we can go ahead and deem subjects unspeakable. Sound fair?

Until then, to channel my good friend Mock... STFU and buy a vowel.

We'll discuss what we feel like discussing.

and I'll mock the dumb ideas and broncomania takes as I see fit... :wave:

ZONA
01-26-2010, 11:48 PM
nobody was hoping Brady would turn into the Montana of this generation(by the Montana comparison i mean overrated)

until he stepped onto the field as a backup for Bledsoe, he was just a backup. no one was talking about I wonder how that kid is coming along, do we have a future star in him. he was just a 6th round backup QB that was there in case of emergency and then he excelled and made the fanbase ecstatic, but prior to him coming onto the field due to emergency he was an afterthought

that is what a 6th round pick is. i don't care about the success prior late round picks had in NE, neither Brady or Cassell were originally drafted with the intention of being starters. a 6th round QB is brought in to sit on the bench and know the system so they could step in if emergency happened.

You just had to go and make that your avatar didn't you. I hate you.

But to the topic, I don't think any team just drafts a QB (no matter which round) just to be a back up, unless Brady, Brees or Manning is in front of them. They could just sign any FA they want to do that. They pick them with hopes they can improve and one day maybe they could turn out to be a real gem. I don't think Brandstater would be any different. If they don't turn out, then a very low pick wasted, who cares.

BroncoMan4ever
01-27-2010, 01:10 AM
You just had to go and make that your avatar didn't you. I hate you.

But to the topic, I don't think any team just drafts a QB (no matter which round) just to be a back up, unless Brady, Brees or Manning is in front of them. They could just sign any FA they want to do that. They pick them with hopes they can improve and one day maybe they could turn out to be a real gem. I don't think Brandstater would be any different. If they don't turn out, then a very low pick wasted, who cares.

and to a point i agree with you. with any position picked in the draft, even in later rounds, be it WR, RB, DL, OL, LB, Secondary or even a QB, there is that hope that maybe you uncovered a gem.

but unlike players at any other position on the field, those late round QBs aren't given the opportunity to compete. they are not brought in and looked at as anything more than a late round QB. think back to TC and offseason practices, any time a late round QB or even a backup practices they are given maybe 25% of the reps the starter gets. unlike at any other position on the field, they aren't given a legtit shot at becoming starters. basically if you are a late round pick and play QB, you need to hope for injury to the starter and if that happens, you better pray you can make some magic happen. it's the only way a QB like that will ever get a shot.

ZONA
01-27-2010, 01:34 AM
and to a point i agree with you. with any position picked in the draft, even in later rounds, be it WR, RB, DL, OL, LB, Secondary or even a QB, there is that hope that maybe you uncovered a gem.

but unlike players at any other position on the field, those late round QBs aren't given the opportunity to compete. they are not brought in and looked at as anything more than a late round QB. think back to TC and offseason practices, any time a late round QB or even a backup practices they are given maybe 25% of the reps the starter gets. unlike at any other position on the field, they aren't given a legtit shot at becoming starters. basically if you are a late round pick and play QB, you need to hope for injury to the starter and if that happens, you better pray you can make some magic happen. it's the only way a QB like that will ever get a shot.

Well there are some other scenarios in which a late pick QB can get a chance, but those usually come from teams that are mediocre to bad. Often a starter will not produce great results and at some point is benched in favor of the young guy to see if he can provide a spark, such as Gradkowski got when Chunk Boy continued to play badly, and there are other QB's who got chances also.

BroncoMan4ever
01-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Well there are some other scenarios in which a late pick QB can get a chance, but those usually come from teams that are mediocre to bad. Often a starter will not produce great results and at some point is benched in favor of the young guy to see if he can provide a spark, such as Gradkowski got when Chunk Boy continued to play badly, and there are other QB's who got chances also.

exactly, and while Orton may not be Peyton Manning, he is nowhere near the level of suck the would deem it necessary for McDaniels to be in the position that he is hoping a guy like Brandstater could create a spark for the team.

tsiguy96
01-27-2010, 04:04 AM
broncoman4ever, they are not brought in to be career backups, thats ridiculous. they often end up that way because there is a reason they were drafted so late, but they arent brought in with the intent of never playing a single down in the NFL, if that was teh case teams would get an UDFA.

Bronco Yoda
01-27-2010, 04:45 AM
He was 'seen' talking with Hillis a couple times late in the season. Doesn't look good....

WolfpackGuy
01-27-2010, 05:16 AM
He was also murmuring he couldn't wait for the season to be over and that he wanted a huge raise.

Punisher
01-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Really?

Yea but none of those fans Where looking forward to them Starting,Brady and Warner played cause of injury. I for one am not looking Brandstater to start.If this team wants to win they better make a run at Either, Colt,Sam, or Jimmy,and Jimmy being the best one.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-27-2010, 07:48 AM
What worries me about Brandstater is that he didn't beat Simms out for the 2nd job, even with as terrible as Simms was.

See, Woody Paige? McDaniels DOES listen to your stupid ****. Wipe away those tears, little girl.

cmhargrove
01-27-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm hopeful for Brandstater like everyone else, but the real issue here is the O-line and the run game.

With the type of team we are building here, we need more than 114 rushing yards per game to win. If we can work on the interior O-line, and get that up to around 150 per game, Orton should be much more successful. Draft another QB, or develop Brandstater, but fix the run game first.

Unless you think one of the draftable QB's could be the next Manning (whose Colts only averaged 80 rush yards per game).

I think for this team, we need to fix the run game and interior O-line first. Closely followed by the defensive front seven.

Garcia Bronco
01-27-2010, 08:14 AM
I still don't understand why Phil Simm's kid is on the team.

BroncoMan4ever
01-27-2010, 11:51 AM
broncoman4ever, they are not brought in to be career backups, thats ridiculous. they often end up that way because there is a reason they were drafted so late, but they arent brought in with the intent of never playing a single down in the NFL, if that was teh case teams would get an UDFA.

tell that to Sorgi, whoever is backing up Brady this year, Cassell for the last 4 years, Simms this season, Kubiak when he was Elway's long term backup.

not one of those guys was brought in to take any snaps. they were brought in to be there if they were needed.

i mean sure a team would love it if a late round QB turned into a superstar, and became the face of the franchise, but they are not drafted with that intent. they are drafted to be backups, and if they get their shot and run with it....awesome, but for the most part none of these guys will get a shot, unless something happens that thrusts them onto the main stage.

theAPAOps5
01-27-2010, 12:32 PM
I still don't understand why Phil Simm's kid is on the team.

Take off the "I still don't understand why" and the "is on the team" and you have your answer!

azbroncfan
01-27-2010, 12:52 PM

The fan base was ready to turn Grease monkey to next montana and ****ler to Elway.

TheDave
01-27-2010, 12:54 PM
The fan base was ready to turn Grease monkey to next montana and ****ler to Elway.

True, but at least those 2 were starters. This kid can't even beat out Chris simms for the #2 spot.