PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshall, Let the Bidding War Begin

Pony Boy
01-26-2010, 01:16 PM
What would you take for Brandon Marshall ?

1. First, third, and fourth round picks

2. Three second round picks

3. Starting caliber player and first round pick

4. Pro Bowl caliber player (no older than 26)

OR

1. Marshall to Baltimore for first, third, and G Marshall Yanda

This would probably be an ideal trade for both teams. Marshall and the Broncos part ways, while the Ravens get an elite level wide receiver for young quarterback Joe Flacco. The Ravens seem like a solid candidate for the Broncos to trade with, and the Broncos would receive the 25th and 88th picks in the draft as well as a starting caliber offensive guard to improve their interior line.

2. Marshall to Miami for first, fourth, and WR Ted Ginn

Due to Miami's pick being higher, they likely will probably not want to give up a first and third, but they would probably be willing to part with Ted Ginn, a player I'm not sold on at this point in his career. I think he could be a nice return option for the Broncos, who need someone to fill that spot.

3. Marshall to New England for two second's, WR Randy Moss
This trade might seem a little steep for the Pats, but they clearly need an upgrade over Moss, and they have three second round picks. Given that New England isn't really losing much in terms of talent here, especially given the unproven second round draft choices (they also had three last year), this is a trade they would strongly consider making.

4. Marshall to Washington for first, fourth, WR Devin Thomas

In this scenario, the Broncos wind up with a nice young receiver in addition to a high draft pick, and Marshall reunites with former coach Mike Shanahan. Marshall knows the offense, and Shanahan would probably love to have him back. On a separate note, I think the Redskins will also try and deal for Peyton Hillis, provided Denver doesn't just outright cut him.

5. Marshall to Seattle for first, third, WR Deion Branch

Broncos take on a hefty contract in Branch here, and I doubt the Seahawks will want to give up either of their first round picks, but this is a possibility, as crazy as it sounds. Branch knows the New England offense, and Marshall would make a crazy good tandem with T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

6. Marshall to Cincinnati for first, fifth, LB Rey Maualuga

I thought when Denver traded back into the second round last year that Maualuga was they player they were targeting, and in hindsight they maybe should have. Maualuga was recently injured, but he still appears to be a fine player. Cincinnati probably won't want to deal their promising youngster, but they might have to if they want Marshall.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/332538-let-the-bidding-war-for-denver-broncos-wr-brandon-marshall-begin?search_query=denver%20broncos

OBF1
01-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Marshall to New England for two second's, WR Randy Moss

Sign me up

OBF1
01-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Followed closely by this one:

Marshall to Baltimore for first, third, and G Marshall Yanda

ak1971
01-26-2010, 01:22 PM
get the trade done, then go Tonya Harding on his knees.

PRBronco
01-26-2010, 01:23 PM
What would you take for Brandon Marshall ?

1. First, third, and fourth round picks (I'd climax)

2. Three second round picks (maybe if they were somehow all this year)

3. Starting caliber player and first round pick (yes)

4. Pro Bowl caliber player (no older than 26) (yeah sure)

OR

Don't know much about Yanda, but I'd climax anyways.

Party on.

Not a big fan of this. Marshall is a twat, but Moss is bad baaaad news.

Probably ok.

It's nice because it's a high first, I'm not a huge Branch fan, but still a pretty good trade.

Hells yeah.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/332538-let-the-bidding-war-for-denver-broncos-wr-brandon-marshall-begin?search_query=denver%20broncos

Good find!

PRBronco
01-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Pretty sure I'd have to change my shorts if a bidding war broke out.

Rohirrim
01-26-2010, 01:27 PM
I believe a lot of teams out there will look at Marshall as a possession receiver with baggage. I'll be very surprised if any kind of mega-deal comes in for him. Maybe a second and next year's third, if we're lucky.

TailgateNut
Two AMC movie passes!

OBF1
Click on the link.... great article. Thanks for the find and share

OBF1
01-26-2010, 01:29 PM
I believe a lot of teams out there will look at Marshall as a possession receiver with baggage. I'll be very surprised if any kind of mega-deal comes in for him. Maybe a second and next year's third, if we're lucky.

You are out of your mind... a second and a 3rd next season....please. If Roy Williams got 2 first's, BM is worth 2 firsts and a 2

Cool Breeze
01-26-2010, 01:29 PM
I saw this on another web site and it kind of follows one of those scenarios -

by Sayre Bedinger
Free Agents
1. Elvis Dumervil, OLB
2. Kyle Orton, QB
3. Chris Kuper, OL
4. Matt Prater, K
5. Chester Taylor, RB (Minnesota)
6. Ryan Pickett, DT (Green Bay)
7. Chad Pennington, QB (Miami)
8. Lee Evans, WR (Buffalo)

Trades
1. Brandon Marshall to Miami Dolphins for 1st round pick (12th overall) and 3rd round pick (73rd overall)
2. Tony Scheffler sign and trade with Cincinnati Bengals for 3rd round pick (84th overall)
3. Peyton Hillis to Washington Redskins for 5th round pick
4. Trade 10th overall pick (from Bears) to Baltimore Ravens for 1st round pick (25th overall) and 2nd round pick (57th overall).
5. Trade 12th overall pick (from Dolphins) to Green Bay Packers for 1st round pick (23rd overall), 3rd round pick (86th overall) and 5th round pick.

Pre-Draft: Selection Slots
1st Round
23rd overall (from Green Bay)
25th overall (from Baltimore)
2nd Round
45th overall
57th overall (from Ravens)
3rd Round
73rd overall (from Dolphins)
80th overall
84th overall (from Bengals)
86th overall (from Packers)
4th Round
5th Round (from Redskins)
5th Round (from Packers)
6th Round
7th Round

The Draft
1. First Round, 23rd overall (from Packers): Mike Iupati, Guard, Idaho
6'5" 330

Iupati (not Lupati, for those who are commonly mistaken) is probably the best guard prospect available in this draft, and the Broncos would be wise to go after him here. He can shore up the interior of their offensive line. He is a massive body in the middle with great athleticism.

2. First Round, 25th overall (from Ravens): Dan Williams, Defensive Lineman, Tennessee
6'2" 327

I can't say I'm fully on board with drafting Williams, but if we can get him at this point in the first round I would welcome it with open arms. Williams is a very athletic nose tackle prospect who could likely make the transition to end in our scheme if need be. I think adding Pickett and Williams would be great for our defensive line. I also wouldn't mind seeing Chris Baker in the rotation this year as well.

**Projected Trade: Broncos trade 73rd pick (from Dolphins) and 86th pick (from Packers) to Patriots for 42nd pick (from Tennessee) and 5th round pick**
3. Second Round, 42nd overall (from Patriots thru Titans): Brandon Spikes, Linebacker, Florida
6'4" 256
I don't think Rolando McClain will be available with our first pick, but Spikes is an outstanding alternative here. He has all the tools to be a succssful inside linebacker in the 3-4 defense, and would work well alongside D.J. Williams. If you have any reservations about him in the second round, I refer you to the likes of James Laurinaitis and Rey Maualuga last year, and DeMeco Ryans in 2006.

4. Second Round, 45th overall: Maurkice Pouncey, Center, Florida
6'5" 320
Pouncey is the top center prospect in this draft, and we would have to be ecstatic if he fell to us here. He's currently rated a high-mid second round pick by most outlets, so it's certainly possible the Broncos can get him here. He and Iupati represent the future of our interior line, and a bright one at that if both pan out.

5. Second Round, 57th overall (from Ravens): Arrelious Benn, Wide Receiver, Illinois
6'2" 225

Benn is currently rated as the 55th overall prospect on the draft board I reference, so he is a real possibility for this slot if things stay the way they are. I think he would be a nice replacement for Marshall as our possession receiver. He was not extremely productive for Illinois, but that's because their quarterback situation was in limbo.

6. Third Round, 80th overall: Amari Spievey, Cornerback, Iowa
6'1" 190
Andre Goodman and Champ Bailey are both nearing 32 years of age, and Alphonso Smith's rookie season wasn't enough to comfort any Bronco fan in this area of the field. Spievey has shutdown potential at the next level, and if he improves his speed he can also be a very effective return man.

7. Third Round, 84th overall (from Bengals): Javier Arenas, Cornerback, Alabama
5'9" 198
Speaking of adding a return man, I don't think there is a more perfect fit for that position in this draft han Arenas, arguably the best return man in the history of college football. Arenas, while a great return man, is also an excellent nickel cornerback. He has excellent versatility and would be a welcome addition to this team in my opinion.

8. Fourth Round: Ciron Black, Offensive Lineman, LSU
6'5" 322
At this point, I think Black adds excellent depth to our offensive line. He can play, and has played every position but center. I like his size and versatility, though he might be better suited for the guard position I think he can be a solid backup tackle for us as well.

9. Fifth Round (from Redskins): Vince Oghobaase, Defensive Lineman, Duke
6'5" 305
Oghobaase could go sooner than this, but in such a deep draft his name often gets a little lost. I think he'd be a nice value pick right here for us. He has the size and strength to make the transition to the five technique in the NFL.

10. Fifth Round (from Packers): Cameron Sheffield, Outside Linebacker, Troy
6'2" 240
Another pass rushing option for the Broncos who lack one outside of Elvis Dumervil. Sheffield had a very nice senior season for the Trojans with 62 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, and 7 sacks. I think he could be a good situational pass rusher for the next level.

11. Fifth Round (from Patriots): Linval Joseph, Nose Tackle, East Carolina
6'6" 322
Just another massive body to add to our front line. This guy left early from college at East Carolina, so he's got some talent but against lesser competition. I think he'd be a nice addition to our defensive line.

12. Sixth Round: Andre Dixon, Running Back, UConn
6'1" 200
A speedier back to compliment the new trio of Moreno, Buckhalterl, and Taylor. I think Dixon has been really impressive this offseason, and his combination of size and speed are enticing to me.

13. Seventh Round: Brandon Carter, Guard, Texas Tech
6'6" 340
Carter is a big, nasty offensive lineman who plays with a mean streak. He has the potential to be a great guard at the next level if he keeps his intensity level high.

Depth Chart

QB: Kyle Orton, Chad Pennington, Tom Brandstater

RB: Knowshon Moreno, Chester Taylor, Correll Buckhalter, Andre Dixon (r)

FB: Spencer Larsen

WR: Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley

WR: Lee Evans, Jabar Gaffney

WR: Arrelious Benn, Kenny McKinley

TE: Daniel Graham, Richard Quinn, Marquez Branson

LT: Ryan Clady, Ciron Black (r)

LG: Mike Iupati (r), Seth Olsen

C: Maurkice Pouncey (r), Dustin Fry

RG: Chris Kuper, Brandon Carter (r)

RT: Ryan Harris, Tyler Polumbus

DE: Dan Williams (r), Ron Fields, Marcus Thomas

DT: Ryan Pickett, Chris Baker, Linval Joseph (r)

DE: Ryan McBean, Vince Oghobaase (r)

OLB: Elvis Dumervil, Mario Haggan

ILB: Brandon Spikes (r), Andra Davis

ILB: D.J. Williams, Wesley Woodyard

OLB: Robert Ayers, Darrell Reid, Cameron Sheffield (r)

CB: Champ Bailey, Alphonso Smith, Javier Arenas (r)

CB: Andre Goodman, Amari Spievey (r)

S: Brian Dawkins, Darcel McBath

S: Renaldo Hill, David Bruton, Josh Barrett

K: Matt Prater

P: Britton Colquitt

KR: Amari Spievey

PR: Javier Arenas

LS: Lonie Paxton

Durango
01-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Are you people daft? You don't trade a player like Marshall within the conference so the potential exists for him to come back and bite you in the ass every year and perhaps even in the play-offs. There have to be NFC teams in need of a great WR. Concentrate on getting the most from a team outside the conference if we have to trade him.

Oh. Here's an idea. Work something out with the guy, and with a little blind luck we may even flash some offense somewhere inside the McDaniels reign.

Pony Boy
01-26-2010, 01:40 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VeHuKM4yRwg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VeHuKM4yRwg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PRBronco
01-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Good quote at the end that should be posted:

"So there you have it, Broncos fans. Prepare for life after Marshall. Put his jersey in the back of your closets with the Cutler jerseys, and ready yourselves for the inaccurate accusing of coach McDaniels for "running" Marshall out of town, when anybody who knows anything will tell you that the only person running "The Beast" out of Denver is himself."

Don't forget it people.

Doggcow
01-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Ill take any and all of those!

Rohirrim
01-26-2010, 01:42 PM
You are out of your mind... a second and a 3rd next season....please. If Roy Williams got 2 first's, BM is worth 2 firsts and a 2

Yeah. I'm out of my mind. Marshall has been arrested four times in three years. The only reason he didn't get suspended last year is because his gf refused to testify against him and charges were dropped. Then, there's the stuff about the phantom hammy and a coach's game suspension. And don't forget his training camp theater. A lot of teams don't like to hear that stuff. I hope a team is willing to pay a 1st and third for him, but I doubt it.

DBroncos4life
Are you people daft? You don't trade a player like Marshall within the conference so the potential exists for him to come back and bite you in the ass every year and perhaps even in the play-offs. There have to be NFC teams in need of a great WR. Concentrate on getting the most from a team outside the conference if we have to trade him.

Oh. Here's an idea. Work something out with the guy, and with a little blind luck we may even flash some offense somewhere inside the McDaniels reign.

No kidding. I don't want him anywhere near the Pats even if it means they lose Moss.

Doggcow
Good quote at the end that should be posted:

"So there you have it, Broncos fans. Prepare for life after Marshall. Put his jersey in the back of your closets with the Cutler jerseys, and ready yourselves for the inaccurate accusing of coach McDaniels for "running" Marshall out of town, when anybody who knows anything will tell you that the only person running "The Beast" out of Denver is himself."

Don't forget it people.

Should be posted in every Marshall thread

Pony Boy
01-26-2010, 01:44 PM

I kind of which we would have traded Cutler to an AFC West team .........

Hercules Rockefeller
01-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Not getting Seattle's natural 1st or the Skins' 1st and more for Marshall. Massive, massive stretch to think either of those two teams would put their 1sts on the block for him in the first place. There's a reason both teams are in the Top 10, and it's not just the lack of a #1 WR.

Rey Rey is not getting traded after a single season.

and there's no such thing as a sign and trade like this guy attempts to do with Scheffler in his "mock" offseason. A 13 pick draft is unrealistic too. Incredible that the same guy wrote both unrealistic "articles" at the Bleacher Report.

Here's another: Cribbs, 2nd round pick (38th overall), and a 3rd round pick (either #61 or #92).

Pony Boy
01-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Should be posted in every Marshall thread

I agree but should bolded

Don't forget it people.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-26-2010, 01:50 PM

Roy Williams didn't get 2 1sts. It was a 1st, 3rd, and a 5th for Roy W and a 7th.

bowtown
01-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Roy Williams didn't get 2 1sts. It was a 1st, 3rd, and a 5th for Roy W and a 7th.

But Roy E. doesn't tip the pizza guy.

jhns
01-26-2010, 01:53 PM
None of those are very realistic, not that I should expect much from that blog. First, why would any team send us a young talent and picks? Why would we want old receivers to take his place? I would take a few of those but I don't think one of them has any chance of happening.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Yeah. I'm out of my mind. Marshall has been arrested four times in three years. The only reason he didn't get suspended last year is because his gf refused to testify against him and charges were dropped. Then, there's the stuff about the phantom hammy and a coach's game suspension. And don't forget his training camp theater. A lot of teams don't like to hear that stuff. I hope a team is willing to pay a 1st and third for him, but I doubt it.

If thats the only offer on the table, you make him play with the broncos. People generally pay for talent though, so i think a 1st and 3rd is more reasonable. Theres no way, IN HELL, the broncos should make that trade. He's not just a "possession" receiver. He's a weapon.

NYBronco
01-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Is Marshall still a Bronco? He can't be traded soon enough for me.

Come on NFL there has to be plenty of short sighted franchises out there going ga ga over the gameday Marshall flash and dash.

Shh... don't tell them Marshall is an offseason and for all practical purposes an everyday headache. Just get him the money and all the problems will vanish.

gyldenlove
01-26-2010, 01:55 PM
I say we put him on Ebay with a reserve of a 1st and 3rd.

Doggcow
01-26-2010, 01:56 PM
I say we put him on Ebay with a reserve of a 1st and 3rd.

That would be the coolest ****ing thing I've ever seen. I would worship at the Altar of McD for that.

Rohirrim
01-26-2010, 02:02 PM
If thats the only offer on the table, you make him play with the broncos. People generally pay for talent though, so i think a 1st and 3rd is more reasonable. Theres no way, IN HELL, the broncos should make that trade. He's not just a "possession" receiver. He's a weapon.

Let's put it this way: If they're going to trade him, I hope they do it real fast. It's the offseason. The clock is ticking on the next gf beatdown. ;)

TailgateNut
01-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Let's put it this way: If they're going to trade him, I hope they do it real fast. It's the offseason. The clock is ticking on the next gf beatdown. ;)

Craigslist his ass out of Denver. The Barter category might work if we hurry and offer something in return.

Pony Boy
01-26-2010, 02:05 PM
I think the big question is "will his hammy be ok for the pro bowl" ?

SonOfLe-loLang
01-26-2010, 02:07 PM

Fair nuff:)

TheDave
01-26-2010, 02:12 PM

Hilarious! I really hope people aren't taking this article too seriously.

bowtown
01-26-2010, 02:16 PM

No kidding. I wouldn't do any of them without a conditonal 7th thrown in.

TailgateNut
01-26-2010, 02:17 PM
I think the big question is "will his hammy be ok for the pro bowl" ?

I would bet it will be fine. It's show time for the money grubbing woman beater.

cmhargrove
01-26-2010, 02:18 PM
I'll add my name to the "no way in hell" list.

No way the Bengals trade away Maualuga after the season he had and the improvement of their defense.

Also, I think almost all those scenarios place too much value on Marshall. Seriously, a first, third, and a player? I don't know anyone ready to roll the dice like that.

DBroncos4life
01-26-2010, 02:21 PM

I don't think that is accurate. The charge he got in the off-season was for disorderly conduct from a cop that said he saw a fight. The chargers got dropped the next day. Then he had the trial where his ex girlfriend was caught saying she was only after money and flip-flopped her statement a couple of times.

DrFate
01-26-2010, 02:26 PM
We will get a 2nd for Marshall and be happy. Same as the J. Walker deal...

Nobody is giving a ton of first day picks.

Please remove the homertastic glasses...

PRBronco
01-26-2010, 02:27 PM
I don't think that is accurate. The charge he got in the off-season was for disorderly conduct from a cop that said he saw a fight. The chargers got dropped the next day. Then he had the trial where his ex girlfriend was caught saying she was only after money and flip-flopped her statement a couple of times.

Ahhh Rashida. She was a good sport.

HILife
01-26-2010, 02:27 PM

Did you forget? He went to the Redskins South.

DBroncos4life
01-26-2010, 02:32 PM

100 plus catches, 11 Tds, and a 1000 yards vs torn ACL in week one.

ZachKC
01-26-2010, 02:32 PM

Yup.

The Joker
01-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Every last one of the trades mentioned in the OP are wildly optimistic, in my opinion.

I reckon we can get a late first for him or else an early 2nd with a conditional 2011 pick on top of that perhaps, anything more than that will be a shock to me.

elsid13
01-26-2010, 02:46 PM

Dude it on the internet, therefore it's true.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-26-2010, 02:50 PM

Walker was coming off a blown out knee and was a malcontent who wanted to get paid.

Marshall is a malcontent who wants to get paid.

Walker's career stats when traded (4 seasons):
157 receptions, 2,444 yds, and 22 TDs

Marshall:
327 receptions, 4,019 yds and 25 TDs

Yeah, they're almost identical players. Obviously they have the same value.

Those first trades were unrealistic, but claiming Denver's going to dump Marshall for pennies on the dollar isn't realistic either.

yavoon
01-26-2010, 02:52 PM
not moss. no coach should want moss, not necessarily because he's bad, but because if he decides to dog it you've essentially just fired yourself. which probably would make some ppl happy here for mcdaniels.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-26-2010, 02:57 PM

Youre insane and being way too hard on a receiver with three straight 100 catch seasons and rare ability. And he hasnt even hit his friggin prime yet! The dude is a weapon

NFLBRONCO
01-26-2010, 03:00 PM
If this draft is as good as everybody is saying I think it will be harder to see teams offering #1's other then Balt Seattle Philly maybe for BM. I think the more interesting thing is what McD and co will accept. Our best value might be for players only.

Imo BM issues are way overblown on this and many other sites. BM is worth a bounty if we don't get one KEEP HIM.

Fans are expecting all players that were used to club med will automatically be a model citizen with a non club med head coach yeah right. Do not confuse that with totally out of control player. BM needs to grow up yes but, he has skills.

mhgaffney
01-26-2010, 03:39 PM
With so many teams looking for a top WR -- I would not be surprised if one of them offers a first for Marshall.

Rohirrim
01-26-2010, 03:42 PM

Municipal Judge Clinton Deveaux dismissed the case after Marshall and his fiance, Michi Leshase Nogami-Campbell, both of whom were charged with disorderly conduct, refused to testify against each other.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29459271/

mhgaffney
01-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Cool Breeze,

That looks like a dream draft. It would fill all of the holes -- except QB.

Let's hope Brandstater steps up.

Dagmar
01-26-2010, 03:47 PM

Roy Williams.

DolphinsJohn
01-26-2010, 03:48 PM
we'll give you a 3rd and throw in Ted ginn and his entire family, even his cousin pookie.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-26-2010, 03:50 PM
we'll give you a 3rd and throw in Ted ginn and his entire family, even his cousin pookie.

Talk about overpayment, Marshall isn't Peyton.

Rohirrim
01-26-2010, 03:53 PM

Is Fin Heaven still open? I went there once but was banned when I didn't genuflect to the Marino icons.

DBroncos4life
01-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Municipal Judge Clinton Deveaux dismissed the case after Marshall and his fiance, Michi Leshase Nogami-Campbell, both of whom were charged with disorderly conduct, refused to testify against each other.
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29459271/

Disorderly conduct is a crap charge. They give them out if they think you did something wrong but can't prove it.

Sodak
01-26-2010, 04:54 PM
This is truly a thread for fantasizing about football. It's all conjecture and pointless.

But having said that, I'd take a first, a fourth, and Obi Wan Kenobi straight up for Marshall.

ZONA
01-26-2010, 05:00 PM
NONE OF THE ABOVE

I'd rather have Marshall on my team, possesion receiver or not, he produces and is a tough matchup for any secondary. Not many teams have somebody who matches up well with a 6'4 235 pound WR that has good speed (not a burner but still lagit WR speed to where you can't put a Safety or LB on him).

I'll pass on all those pick scenarios, I like proven NFL players over college question marks any day.

Popps
01-26-2010, 05:04 PM

Yea, but that just might serve as a lesson to those bidding.

Marshall's value hinges much more on this labor situation than anything else.

Personally, I think he'll bring a first... and some minor extra compensation.

But, we got more for Cutler than I thought, so hopefully I'm conservatively estimating this, as well.

mr007
01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
NONE OF THE ABOVE

I'd rather have Marshall on my team, possesion receiver or not, he produces and is a tough matchup for any secondary. Not many teams have somebody who matches up well with a 6'4 235 pound WR that has good speed (not a burner but still lagit WR speed to where you can't put a Safety or LB on him).

I'll pass on all those pick scenarios, I like proven NFL players over college question marks any day.

Legit wide receiver speed in whose world?

Position: WR
Class: Sr
School: UCF
Conference: Conference USA
Ht., Wt.: 6-4.5, 229
40 Time: 4.57
Selected by: Denver Broncos
Round 4, pick 22 (119 overall)

That said, I'd still prefer to keep him.

KevinJames
01-26-2010, 05:26 PM

I would do that in a heartbeat, Ginn has questionable hands but we could have a very solid return guy and a WR who can stretch the field.

TonyR
01-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Imo BM issues are way overblown on this and many other sites. BM is worth a bounty if we don't get one KEEP HIM.

Agree. If you get the right deal you make it, if you don't you have a top 10 WR on your team again next season. Win either way, really.

azbroncfan
01-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Sign me up for the 3 #2's.

Tombstone RJ
01-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Let the bidding wars begin!

SureShot
01-26-2010, 08:13 PM
I will take option 4.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-26-2010, 08:25 PM
There are roughly 3.4 billion women and 31,000 McDonalds restaurants on planet Earth. Ticking time bomb.

SouthStndJunkie
01-26-2010, 08:38 PM
I doubt we get anything close to the value listed in those trade scenarios.

Atwater His Ass
01-26-2010, 11:12 PM
amazes me how psyched everyone is to ship out our best offensive player....for draft picks.

NFLBRONCO
01-26-2010, 11:27 PM
I think the word psyched is not it. I think we are resigned to the idea BM days here are highly likely over. I'd keep him here myself but, I'm not in Denver's FO so I go with the flow. Its a way to pass the time in the offseason to discuss stuff like this.

NFLBRONCO
01-26-2010, 11:30 PM
I doubt we get anything close to the value listed in those trade scenarios.

What do you think is the max we'll get for BM? Why wouldn't a team like Balt who has very few holes fork over picks to bolster their O. Even Seattle might bite they could draft Bradford add BM and TJ pretty stout wr corp.

DrFate
01-27-2010, 04:44 AM
Hey - don't get me wrong. I think Marshall is a fine player with a ton of upside. I also know that other teams look at the Roy Williams situation as well as Marshall's 'alleged' character issues. And it seems pretty clear (to me, at least) that McSparky is going to put Brandon on the first bus headed out of town. So I don't see the front office sitting and waiting for this uber deal that others are expecting.

I think he is worth more than the Broncos will get for him. These scenarios where teams are going to offer multiple day 1 picks plus starters is utter nonsense.

If the choice is between a bunch of high picks plus players OR my prediction of a round 2 pick - I'll wager anyone that I'm closer to the mark.

cmhargrove
01-27-2010, 07:06 AM

I would do that in a heartbeat, Ginn has questionable hands but we could have a very solid return guy and a WR who can stretch the field.

If we need a return guy (or a fast player who can stretch the field) sign me up for McCluster in the third round. I know he's a little small, but iv'e never seen anyone catch him from behind, the dude is a burner.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hb-chWh64Dc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hb-chWh64Dc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Smiling Assassin27
01-27-2010, 07:16 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VeHuKM4yRwg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VeHuKM4yRwg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Had he stood over the guy and muttered something about his mother, I'd be all for this deal. Alas, he did not. So give me the Cincy deal with Maualuga and let's get young, aggressive, and defensive.

broncofan7
01-27-2010, 07:25 AM
McGenius had better get some top notch talent back for Marshall--it is playoffs or bust for McGenius next year---and I don't want to hear about how he is building for our future--we had a young QB and WR to build around and he chose to go in another direction--win now McGenius or take your ego back to the rust belt where it belongs.

broncofan7
01-27-2010, 07:30 AM
amazes me how psyched everyone is to ship out our best offensive player....for draft picks.

Spot on--if they thought our offense was bad last year--they ain't seen nothin' yet.

Here is Popps after next season's unavoidable offensive futility " but we only regressed 3 points per game from 2009 after we gave up Marshall for a box of corn pops and cherry coke--and that coke was damn good and that Marshall guy had a bad attitude..."

Rabb
01-27-2010, 07:37 AM

I am in the camp of, if we cannot make it work and he is going...get the best option available

not necessarily in the camp that is excited to see him go

there is a difference

gyldenlove
01-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Legit wide receiver speed in whose world?

Position: WR
Class: Sr
School: UCF
Conference: Conference USA
Ht., Wt.: 6-4.5, 229
40 Time: 4.57
Selected by: Denver Broncos
Round 4, pick 22 (119 overall)

That said, I'd still prefer to keep him.

40 times:

Larry Fitzgerald 4.53
Marques Colston 4.55
Hines Ward: 4.58
Houshmanzadeh: 4.60
Greg Jennings: 4.48
Anquan Boldin: 4.75

But I guess that group of guys aren't really legit.

Pony Boy
01-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Dallas wants to deal Roy Williams for Marshall..... Read the posted comments it's pretty funny

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/01/could-cowboys-deal-roy-williams-for-denv.html

Paladin
01-27-2010, 09:31 AM
One second is not much time. One second. Just a little slower than the blink of a eye. What difference does one second make? On a Football field, I would imagine one second is really not that important. It is a strawman. Maybe impresses some teenagers, but in the world of players, it is not a biggee.

With apologies to Rich Carlin: "OMG, he's coming at me one second faster!!!!!! TRAiNWRECK!!!!" Carlin had a routine in which he panned trucks marked "Flamable". He said he didn't want to get hit by a truck marked flamable. "My God, Marcie, that truck's gonna hit us, and it's FLAMABLE!!!!!!"

One second is sort of like the "Tastes Great/Less Fillking" argument. Who fricking cares about one second?

Pony Boy
01-27-2010, 09:38 AM
One second is not much time. One second. Just a little slower than the blink of a eye. What difference does one second make? On a Football field, I would imagine one second is really not that important. It is a strawman. Maybe impresses some teenagers, but in the world of players, it is not a biggee.

With apologies to Rich Carlin: "OMG, he's coming at me one second faster!!!!!! TRAiNWRECK!!!!" Carlin had a routine in which he panned trucks marked "Flamable". He said he didn't want to get hit by a truck marked flamable. "My God, Marcie, that truck's gonna hit us, and it's FLAMABLE!!!!!!"

One second is sort of like the "Tastes Great/Less Fillking" argument. Who fricking cares about one second?

One second is huge in football speed, I think you mean 1/10 of a second .....???

Paladin
01-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Dallas wants to deal Roy Williams for Marshall..... Read the posted comments it's pretty funny

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/01/could-cowboys-deal-roy-williams-for-denv.html

meh..... So, some "fans" are trying oto get rid of Williams..... They actually can do better drafting a WR....... Williams has health problems; if Marshall can't breathe in cold weather, what can Williams do in altitude?

TheDave
01-27-2010, 09:40 AM
One second is huge in football speed, I think you mean 1/10 of a second .....???

Just me, but I wouldn't give Paladin that much credit. :spit:

Paladin
01-27-2010, 09:44 AM

No it isn't. Can you hoinestly say that track speed translates into "football speed"? I don't think so. Who is the person going toi outrun" A DB who runs sjust as fast as the WR does?

bowtown
01-27-2010, 09:49 AM
No it isn't. Can you hoinestly say that track speed translates into "football speed"? I don't think so. Who is the person going toi outrun" A DB who runs sjust as fast as the WR does?

Dude, Kyle Orton's 40 time is not even 1 second slower than Darius Hayward-Bey's. Please stop trying to make this argument.

Orton : 5.09
Hayward-Bey: 4.3

How can you argue there isn't a HUGE difference there?

Chris
01-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Roy Williams isn't the guy for us. He's too slow. We need a field stretcher so Eddie can play slot and Gaffney becomes our mid-range possession guy.

azbroncfan
01-27-2010, 09:56 AM
I'd be happy to pursue Jennings and a pick for Marshall as we talked about here.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=81509&highlight=Greg+Jennings&page=3

Pony Boy
01-27-2010, 10:09 AM

Basic Rule of 40 yard speed:

there are 1440 inches in a 40 yard dash.

a 4.30 second time gets you 334 in/sec

a 4.40 second time gets you 323 in/sec

thats means that if someone with a 4.30 time was to run against someone with 4.40 time, then the person who ran a 4.30 would make it there first with the person who ran a 4.40 time 11 inches away, well within the wingspan of any normal adult human...

basically, when considering future draft choices, i dont think that the 40 yard time should be a major factor in picking between 2 players, unless there is at least a .3 second gap in between times.

Now you say one full second doesn't make a difference..........

SouthStndJunkie
01-27-2010, 10:37 AM
What do you think is the max we'll get for BM? Why wouldn't a team like Balt who has very few holes fork over picks to bolster their O. Even Seattle might bite they could draft Bradford add BM and TJ pretty stout wr corp.

The max?

A late first round draft pick in the 20s.

Paladin
01-27-2010, 12:01 PM

thats means that if someone with a 4.30 time was to run against someone with 4.40 time, then the person who ran a 4.30 would make it there first with the person who ran a 4.40 time 11 inches away, well within the wingspan of any normal adult human...

basically, when considering future draft choices, i dont think that the 40 yard time should be a major factor in picking between 2 players, unless there is at least a .3 second gap in between times.

Play football, did you?

No matter, I agree to disagree with you. The difference is not really recognizable on the field. But, if a third of a second or even one second gives you woody have at it.....

azbroncfan
01-27-2010, 12:04 PM

That is if you both start running at the exact time. Stats can be skewed however you want.

Pony Boy
01-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Play football, did you?

No matter, I agree to disagree with you. The difference is not really recognizable on the field. But, if a third of a second or even one second gives you woody have at it.....

Fair enough, but if you have 4 receivers in the draft they clock at 4.3, 4.4, 4.5 and one at 5.5........ which one do think wont get drafted. also top level college programs won't even look at a kid in the skill positions if they dont have the 40 time.....

bowtown
01-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Fair enough, but if you have 4 receivers in the draft they clock at 4.3, 4.4, 4.5 and one at 5.5........ which one do think wont get drafted. also top level college programs won't even look at a kid in the skill positions if they dont have the 40 time.....

They won't look at him because a guy who runs a 5.5 is slower than most offensive linemen. It makes no sense that a one second difference in a 40 yard-dash doesn't translate to the field. He can't actually be this stupid.

Pony Boy
01-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Play football, did you?

How about this flashback to 2005....

Auburn star Ronnie Brown dazzled scouts with a workout that included unofficial 40-yard times of 4.32 and 4.40.

Maurice Clarett, squandered his latest shot at redemption on Saturday afternoon, posting sluggish performances in the 40-yard dash. According to the unofficial times, Clarett ran 4.72 seconds and 4.82 seconds in his two efforts. How slow are those times? By comparison, four offensive line prospects, all weighing more than 300 pounds, were clocked faster than five seconds.

Now we are talking about 4.32 for Brown verses a 4.82 for Clarett...... not a full second and one is dazzleing and one is sluggish..........

Pony Boy
01-27-2010, 12:57 PM
They won't look at him because a guy who runs a 5.5 is slower than most offensive linemen. It makes no sense that a one second difference in a 40 yard-dash doesn't translate to the field. He can't actually be this stupid.

It's sad but, I'm starting to think he is that stupid and I'm butting my head against the wall...... Maybe the Brown / Clarett comparison will wake him up.......

WolfpackGuy
01-27-2010, 01:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_yard_dash

"The origin of timing football players for 40 yards comes from the average distance of a punt and the time it takes to reach that distance. Punts average around 40 yards in distance, and the hangtime (time of flight) averages approximately 4.5 seconds. Therefore, if a coach knows that a player runs 40 yards in 4.5 seconds, he will be able to leave the line of scrimmage when a punt is kicked, and reach at the point where the ball comes down just as it arrives."

The 40 yards obviously doesn't apply to Mitch Berger...

Ambiguous
01-27-2010, 01:36 PM
get the trade done, then go Tonya Harding on his knees.

Or mcdonalds bag and plasma tv. Pick your poison.

DrFate
01-27-2010, 01:53 PM
One second is not much time. One second. Just a little slower than the blink of a eye. What difference does one second make?

The difference between being tackled and running to the endzone?

???

On second thought, I'm embarrased to have to take the time to post this. But for Paladin's sake, I will do so...

If you run 40 yards in 4 seconds, you are running 10 yards a second

If you run 40 yards in 5 seconds, you are running 8 yards a second

So the 'difference' between a 4 second 40 and a 5 second 40, in football terms, is two yards.

Flex Gunmetal
01-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Back on topic, remember last year just before the season when everyone was certain marshall would be dealt, and a number of threads just like this came up?
If I understand the cba right now, there is a good chance he'll be in denver next year.

Atwater His Ass
01-27-2010, 05:09 PM
I am in the camp of, if we cannot make it work and he is going...get the best option available

not necessarily in the camp that is excited to see him go

there is a difference

the solution to all the marshall "drama" is to pay him. $$$ talks and will heal all the "wounds" in this scenario.

trading your 2 best offensive players in back-to-back off-seasons is not how you build a winning team.

SouthStndJunkie
01-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Play football, did you?

Percy Harvin ran the 40 yard dash in 4.34 seconds.

Kyle Orton ran the 40 yard dash in 5.09 seconds

340 pound flab master Andre Smith ran the 40 yard dash in 5.23 seconds.

Is the difference recognizable on the field?

Of course it is.

Beantown Bronco
01-27-2010, 07:35 PM
trading your 2 best offensive players in back-to-back off-seasons is not how you build a winning team.

Why the f*** didn't anyone tell me that we traded Clady?!?

ZONA
01-27-2010, 08:08 PM
the solution to all the marshall "drama" is to pay him. $$$ talks and will heal all the "wounds" in this scenario.

You know that is one thing that most members here seem to forget. Do you think for a second that if Marshall was making anything close to what a talent of his calibur should make, that he would have any problems? NO.

Just pay the dude what he's worth and things will be gravy. Give him a new contract and then focus on parts of the team that actually need fixing.

Paladin
01-27-2010, 09:00 PM
The difference between being tackled and running to the endzone?

???

On second thought, I'm embarrased to have to take the time to post this. But for Paladin's sake, I will do so...

If you run 40 yards in 4 seconds, you are running 10 yards a second

If you run 40 yards in 5 seconds, you are running 8 yards a second

So the 'difference' between a 4 second 40 and a 5 second 40, in football terms, is two yards.

No matter. Have you ever seen a guy with "great speed" get tackled after a two yard gain, or even for a loss? Have you ever seen a guy with "average" speed score a TD? My whole point is that speed by itself is not a single factor for the success of a play. Quickness, eye-hand coordination, leaping skills, vision, strength, and play or field awareness are all equally or more important than straight ahead speed. Imagaine OJ if he couldn't juke. I would magine Dawkins has not had great speed for some time. But he is smart and knows the angles and can get to the RBs or WRs pretty well and he's in the Pro bowl. Marshall is actually not very fast yet he has some other skills to help him do what he does. Moss is almost certainly faster than Dawkins in straight ahead speed, but Moss did not actually out run him. Your fourty time is only one factor and not a very big factor in selecting a WR.....

So, we disagree., Big Deal.....

But, you have your opinions and I have mine. That's why GMs select players other than the one you think they "should draft"......

(NO, BA, I don't drink. Ergo, I'm quite sober. Go fug a duck.)

NFLBRONCO
01-27-2010, 09:09 PM
You know that is one thing that most members here seem to forget. Do you think for a second that if Marshall was making anything close to what a talent of his calibur should make, that he would have any problems? NO.

Just pay the dude what he's worth and things will be gravy. Give him a new contract and then focus on parts of the team that actually need fixing.

I think all fans understand the money issue he wants to be paid. The issue is his employer does not seem to want to so we are where we are shopping him. I'm one fan that wants him to stay and pay him. I'd still expect to have issues with him along the way. Money will not magically make him a model citizen or rod smith pro's pro type of player.

bronco610
01-27-2010, 09:25 PM

Stop trying to make sense ZONA, you know the Mane will never accept sense.

You have to believe he is a flava clown ship his ars out or McD is to blame and is just trying to get rid of all Shanny's toys. :P

TheDave
01-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Stop trying to make sense ZONA, you know the Mane will never accept sense.

You have to believe he is a flava clown ship his ars out or McD is to blame and is just trying to get rid of all Shanny's toys. :P

So you think his rap sheet, which includes; a pac man jones like arrest record, numerous instances of domestic violence, a DUI, and that bizarre deal with the McDonalds bag are all because he wasn't getting paid enough?

bronco610
01-27-2010, 09:35 PM
So you think his rap sheet, which includes; a pac man jones like arrest record, numerous instances of domestic violence, a DUI, and that bizarre deal with the McDonalds bag are all because he wasn't getting paid enough?

No I'm just saying that it has to be the player is an absolute failure as a Bronco or its all Part of a master plan for Mcd to get rid of Shanny's offense and according to the posters on the Mane it can't be anything in the middle of the road.

Bronco Yoda
01-27-2010, 10:54 PM
I'll take 2 naughty cheerleaders, single malt scotch, one long Orange slip-&-slide, huge tub of jello and a vintage game of twister. This should help me get over the depression.

BroncoMan4ever
01-28-2010, 01:15 AM

one second is an eternity in football. one second can be the difference between a QB getting to find the open receiver down the field for a big gain or even a score and that QB getting planted into the turf.

for example one second. let's say we have 2 players on the field. Player A can run a 40 yard dash in 4 seconds, Player B runs it in 5 seconds.

in that scenario the times are like this
Player A is running 10 yards per second
Player B is running 8 yards per second

2 yards of separation is created every second by a player being 1 second slower than another.

now put that into game perspective

a WR that can run the 40 in 4 seconds, is not going to be chased down by a LB who runs that same 40 in 5 seconds.

put that on a screen pass that McDaniels loves to run. lets say the 2 players in question are Eddie Royal going against Shawn Merriman.

Eddie runs his 40 in 4 seconds, Merriman runs his in 5

if Eddie receives a pass at the 20 yard line and has a clear path in front of him, just 80 yards of open space he will reach the goal line in 8 seconds while Merriman who will need 10 seconds to go the same distance. the moment Eddie crosses the goal line, Merriman will be 16 yards behind him by the time Eddie has scored.

1 second on a football field is huge.

DBroncos4life
01-28-2010, 01:37 AM
I doubt Chris Johnson runs for 2K running a a 4.8 40.

SouthStndJunkie
01-28-2010, 06:02 AM
I doubt Chris Johnson runs for 2K running a a 4.8 40.

If he ran a 4.8 40 he would be doing something else for a living.

TonyR
01-28-2010, 07:55 AM

Come on, Dave, giving him tens of millions of guaranteed dollars will make all his problems go away! No need to worry any more about Brandon Marshall. It is a 100% safe and sound investment, guaranteed. What's there to think about? Give the man Pat Bowlen's money already!!! He's a great player, that's all that matters. Considering risk and character would be silly. It's only money!

TheDave
01-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Come on, Dave, giving him tens of millions of guaranteed dollars will make all his problems go away! No need to worry any more about Brandon Marshall. It is a 100% safe and sound investment, guaranteed. What's there to think about? Give the man Pat Bowlen's money already!!! He's a great player, that's all that matters. Considering risk and character would be silly. It's only money!

Yeah, what was I thinking.

The funny thing is everyone knows that I'm VERY skeptical of this regime.

But I can't blame them for any part of this BMarsh debacle... and frankly I'll give them the benefit of the doubt when they implement their plan for him.

Sign him long term... fine with me, his kind of talent is near impossible to replace.

Trade him... Fine, as long as the compensation is acceptable I can completely understand wanting to get rid of a head case like him.

My only real fear is that they might sign him to an RFA tender not be offered anything of value and try to force him to play another season for $3 mil. Thats akin to flicking matches at a powder keg... and mark my words, he will explode.

bronco610
01-28-2010, 08:37 AM

But I can't blame them for any part of this BMarsh debacle... and frankly I'll give them the benefit of the doubt when they implement their plan for him.

Sign him long term... fine with me, his kind of talent is near impossible to replace.

Trade him... Fine, as long as the compensation is acceptable I can completely understand wanting to get rid of a head case like him.

My only real fear is that they might sign him to an RFA tender not be offered anything of value and try to force him to play another season for $3 mil. Thats akin to flicking matches at a powder keg... and mark my words, he will explode.

See a rational post, thats all Im asking from some of these 2 split camps.

kamakazi_kal
01-28-2010, 08:53 AM
I'd like to keep him but, it seems like he's already gone. That being said if the first rounder we get for him turns out to be a dud I'll implode.

TonyR
01-28-2010, 08:55 AM

Yup, I SO want things to work out for Brandon to remain on the team. He's a great talent and probably my favorite player. Very likable despite the off field issues. Fun to watch. But I'm not sure how any rational, thinking person can't understand the hesitation to give this guy a long term deal with big up front, guaranteed money. The Broncos FO knows more about what has gone on, and what is going on, that we'll ever know so we have to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. I hope he stays and hope that turns out to be the right decision, but I'll certainly understand if they go a different direction as much as I won't like it.

Drek
01-28-2010, 10:43 AM

And if they don't give him a tender? He walks with no compensation.

There are a lot of teams with needs at WR, I think someone will offer something respectable for Marshall rather than roll the dice in a WR class where the elite talent basically didn't play his entire senior year (Dez Bryant).

Otherwise you're pretty spot on though. The real questions will start to be answered when the off-season officially opens. I think Brandon will have a chance to stay in Denver and still get the big contract he wants, but it'll be under provisions and protections with regards to his actions on and off the field. If he is unwilling to make those concessions then he is either not mature enough to be trusted, or truly wants out of Denver. In either case good riddance.

Drek
01-28-2010, 10:45 AM
I'd like to keep him but, it seems like he's already gone. That being said if the first rounder we get for him turns out to be a dud I'll implode.

That's just the nature of the beast though. You can't hold a single pick being a bust against the organization. Sometimes players just don't have what it takes to transition.

Andre Wadsworth was supposed to be the greatest DL since Reggie White. He got in the NFL and through a lack of desire, injuries, etc. he never amounted to anything. **** happens. Sometimes the safest picks still blow up in your face.

If they have a host of busts though? Then you begin to question their scouting/player selection processes and look to make a change.

WolfpackGuy
01-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Andre Wadsworth was supposed to be the greatest DL since Reggie White. He got in the NFL and through a lack of desire, injuries, etc. he never amounted to anything. **** happens. Sometimes the safest picks still blow up in your face.

And to think the Chuggers traded two first round picks, a second rounder, and Eric Metcalf to move up one spot to insure they got Leaf.

The Cards were going to pick Wadsworth anyway!

LOL

Drek
01-28-2010, 11:01 AM
And to think the Chuggers traded two first round picks, a second rounder, and Eric Metcalf to move up one spot to insure they got Leaf.

The Cards were going to pick Wadsworth anyway!

LOL

I never understood the Manning/Leaf debate.

Its like someone said do you want all the parts to build a McLaren F1 but none of the tools, or do you want a fully assembled, tuned up, fueled up, insured Ferarri?

I miss that kind of Chargers management though. AJ Smith is a douche but he rarely loses out in the off-season.

WolfpackGuy
01-28-2010, 11:53 AM
I never understood the Manning/Leaf debate.

Its like someone said do you want all the parts to build a McLaren F1 but none of the tools, or do you want a fully assembled, tuned up, fueled up, insured Ferarri?

I miss that kind of Chargers management though. AJ Smith is a douche but he rarely loses out in the off-season.

Well, I remember there were some concerns on whether Manning could THROW the ball which seems crazy now looking at his career.

Leaf had more physical upside, but he was almost unheard of before that Rose Bowl.

Peyton definitely was the more polished passer as far as footwork, preparation, and reading the defense goes.

Drek
01-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Well, I remember there were some concerns on whether Manning could THROW the ball which seems crazy now looking at his career.

Leaf had more physical upside, but he was almost unheard of before that Rose Bowl.

Peyton definitely was the more polished passer as far as footwork, preparation, and reading the defense goes.

I wonder how long it'll take scouts to realize that arm strength can be developed just like any other skill for a QB.

Manning supposedly had a weak arm, but now he's one of the best deep ball throwers in the NFL.

Tom Brady had an outright noodle attached to his body instead of a human right arm, but over time he's become a very good deep ball thrower.

Drew Brees was considered a underpowered thrower himself, and it was thought his rotator cuff injury had drained even more. He snaps off some lasers now for the Saints.

Some guys have natural cannons, some guys need to develop good power through technique. The former is impossible to miss, but the later tends to be a trait you see in the best QBs. High football IQ guys who work harder than everyone else to overcome a lack of natural arm strength just happen to be the same guys who are best at breaking down a defense on the fly and going through a series of complex reads within each play they run.

In short a smart, humble (in football terms, i.e. acutely and painfully aware of one's own limits), highly motivated leader of men is the key to finding a successful QB much more often than just raw arm strength.

And before that gets misconstrued: This is not an Orton v. Cutler post. Orton has great field presence and leads his team calmly in all situations but he has yet to show the smarts and play making ability to be an elite QB. Cutler has shown the play making ability but hasn't shown the leadership or humility on a consistent basis.

bronco610
01-28-2010, 05:15 PM
"And before that gets misconstrued: This is not an Orton v. Cutler post. Orton has great field presence and leads his team calmly in all situations but he has yet to show the smarts and play making ability to be an elite QB. Cutler has shown the play making ability but hasn't shown the leadership or humility on a consistent basis."

Or smarts.
Sorry couldnt resist.<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Pony Boy
01-28-2010, 08:07 PM

I think you memory is a little foggy....

Peyton Manning Combine Scouting Report:

Arm Strength: 9
Accuracy: 10
Awareness: 10
Mobility: 5
Leadership: 10
Strengths: Probably the smartest player in the league. A coach on the field who can quickly scan the defense and make any necessary adjustments to the play. Tremendous leadership qualities. Has outstanding mechanics, set-up, and delivery, and sells the play-action fake as well as any QB in the game. Has prototype size and arm strength; can make all of the throws required of an NFL quarterback. Has a very quick release. Possesses great vision, accuracy, and touch.