PDA

View Full Version : Ten hardest hits in the Super Bowl

Bronco Rob
01-26-2010, 03:52 AM
Ten hardest hits in the Super Bowl

Posted Jan. 25, 2010 @ 10:13 a.m.
By Bob McGinn

1. Ronnie Lott, S, 49ers, XXIII: Furious at his teammates for not playing better, Lott takes matters into his own hands. From deep in the middle, he charges up and crashes into Bengals RB Ickey Woods. "It was like a train wreck, or two rhinos hitting each other full force," 49ers CB Eric Wright said. "That hit set the standard for us."

2. Jack Tatum, S, Raiders, XI: Early in the fourth quarter, WR Sammy White hauls in an 18-yard pass from Fran Tarkenton. Tatum hits White under the chin with his helmet, sending White's helmet flying. White hangs onto the ball. "Tatum knocked him out," Oakland LB Ted Hendricks said. "I've got a great picture of that."

3. Larry Cole, DT, Cowboys, X: Terry Bradshaw's last pass is the game-winning 64-yard touchdown to Lynn Swann with 3:02 left. On the play, Cole drives his helmet into the left side of Bradshaw's jaw, and the quarterback is out before he hits the ground. Backup Terry Hanratty plays the last series for Pittsburgh.

4. Glen Edwards, S, Steelers, IX: Late in the first half, Fran Tarkenton throws on target 20 yards downfield to WR John Gilliam at the Pittsburgh 4-yard line. Edwards delivers a two-armed shot to Gilliam's head. When the tipped pass comes down, it's intercepted by CB Mel Blount.

5. Nick Buoniconti, LB, Dolphins, VIII: With a minute left in the first half, Vikings RB Oscar Reed tries to run off right tackle on fourth and 1 from the Miami 6. Buoniconti cuts inside of pulling guard Ed White, crushes Reed, and causes a fumble.

6. Doug Swift, LB, Dolphins, VII: On a Washington third down late in the first half, the Dolphins line up LB Bob Matheson outside and Swift inside. When the Redskins turn their protection toward Matheson, Swift shoots through untouched and buries QB Billy Kilmer, whose pass in the flat is intercepted by Nick Buoniconti.

7. Martin Mayhew, CB, Redskins, XXVI: Early in the fourth quarter, Jim Kelly scrambles to his right for 9 yards and is unloaded upon by Mayhew. Kelly appears to be out. He sits out a play and then returns, but his memory seems to be spotty after the game.

8. Bob Sanders, S, Colts, XLI: On a simple run up the middle by Bears RB Cedric Benson late in the first quarter, Sanders roars up from the deep middle and flattens Benson with a form tackle. The Colts recover the fumble, and it's the beginning of the end for the Bears.

9. Aaron Brown, DE, chefs, IV: With about five minutes left, Brown, a second-year starter, comes around the edge and slams Vikings QB Joe Kapp, causing a fumble that the Vikings recover. It is Kapp's final play of the game.

10. Ken Norton, LB, Cowboys, XXVII: On third and goal from the Dallas 1, Buffalo RB Kenneth Davis tries to run high against Norton, but the linebacker doesn't budge an inch. On the next series, Norton leaps over Thurman Thomas and hits Jim Kelly, forcing him from the game with a sprained knee.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/25/ten-hardest-hits-in-the-super-bowl

Bronco Yoda
01-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Atwater knocking out half the field on his own (including himself) in the last min. of the 4th qtr. in Super Bowl XXXII.

Lev Vyvanse
01-26-2010, 04:54 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cM0UiDPKN7E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cM0UiDPKN7E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
only video I could find.

SouthStndJunkie
01-26-2010, 06:09 AM
The Atwater hit should easily be in the top ten Super Bowl hits.

jmz313
01-26-2010, 06:34 AM
it woulda been had the damage been mostly inflicted on a Packer.

ColoradoDarin
01-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Yet again, Steve Atwater is passed over. Knocked out 3 people (including himself) in one hit!

Garcia Bronco
01-26-2010, 06:56 AM
The Atwater hit should easily be in the top ten Super Bowl hits.

It should be number 1.

The top ten list above has been denied.

Doggcow
01-26-2010, 10:24 AM
I agree. How the **** did they forget the Atwater hit?

manchambo
01-26-2010, 11:19 AM
It's a pretty hard hit, but it's on his own guy. I don't really see how that makes a top ten list.

sisterhellfyre
01-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Atwater knocking out half the field on his own (including himself) in the last min. of the 4th qtr. in Super Bowl XXXII.

I would also have voted for Romanowski's sack on Falcons QB Chris Chandler in the next SB. Romo leveled Chandler out parallel to the ground and planted him hard. Up til that point, the Falcons' first drive had moved easily down the field. Chandler stayed in the game, but the Falcons never recovered their momentum.

Steve Prefontaine
01-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Atwater set the tone in that Super Bowl vs the Packers. I distinctly remember hearing pads crack on almost every tackle he made. He played like a man possessed that game.

Damn I miss him.

g00fyfoot
01-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Eddie Mac, anyone?

ColoradoDarin
01-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Eddie Mac, anyone?

Decleated

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/dhaus5650/mcCaff-optimized.gif

easymobee
01-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Take a closer look at Robert Brooks hand and multiple dislocated fingers before assessing damage on Hilliard alone. He made sure Brooks wouldn't be catching that pass.

broncocalijohn
01-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Eddie Mac, anyone?

I was thinking the same thing! Blind sided him, then taunting him as Davis ran towards the goal line to get the go ahead score. Maybe top 10 block but that hit was sweet.

Garcia Bronco
01-26-2010, 02:02 PM
I was thinking the same thing! Blind sided him, then taunting him as Davis ran towards the goal line to get the go ahead score. Maybe top 10 block but that hit was sweet.

That was Howard....not TD. Come on!!!

Garcia Bronco
01-26-2010, 02:03 PM
It's a pretty hard hit, but it's on his own guy. I don't really see how that makes a top ten list.

He knocked out everybody. WTF are you talking about.

ghwk
01-26-2010, 03:55 PM

This forever.

gunns
01-26-2010, 04:55 PM
I would also have voted for Romanowski's sack on Falcons QB Chris Chandler in the next SB. Romo leveled Chandler out parallel to the ground and planted him hard. Up til that point, the Falcons' first drive had moved easily down the field. Chandler stayed in the game, but the Falcons never recovered their momentum.

I was thinking of that one also. Romo charged through that line, straight up the middle and planted Chandler. It was great.

gunns
01-26-2010, 04:57 PM
He knocked out everybody. WTF are you talking about.

I was there and it never appeared Brooks was knocked out just severly stunned.

ZONA
01-26-2010, 05:04 PM

I have to agree. If he hits the Packers player instead of his own, it's the best hit ever.

521 1N5
01-26-2010, 05:48 PM

Exactly. That was so huge, and it was the 2nd to last play on a possible game winning drive...wtf?

Bronco Rob
01-27-2010, 03:14 AM
;)

Lev Vyvanse
01-27-2010, 05:00 AM

He stopped moving. Do you know what stunned means?

bronco militia
01-27-2010, 06:52 AM

ummmm

oubronco
01-27-2010, 06:56 AM

my thoughts exactly

Smiling Assassin27
01-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Romo's sack on Chandler in SB 33. De-cleated the guy.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/sfn/phoalbum/photos/sb33ga02.jpg

HorseHead
01-27-2010, 11:58 AM
ahhh...the good ole' days...

azbroncfan
01-27-2010, 12:21 PM
What about Eddie Mac's block?

The Moops
01-28-2010, 03:25 AM
There was another Cowboy along with Cole that hit Bradshaw at the same time, but I can't remember who . . .

I'll never forget Tatum's hit on Sammy White . . . totally would be flagged today. To White's credit, he held onto the ball!